Neil Lennon away

Gary Locke

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The interviews will be interesting.

Candidate: "What's your long-term priority?"

Celtic: "10 in a row. It's all we live for. We even ensured football got stopped during the pandemic to keep on track."

Candidate: "How many are you on?"

Celtic: "None"

Candidate: "No pressure then"

How did stopping football during Covid help them?  Maybe helped Raith as they were only 1 point clear but Celtic had the league won.  Do you really think Celtic would rather have the league stopped than played out so they could properly celebrate it?  

Anyway,  good riddance to him, hope we never see him in Scottish football again. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JDK2020

• Rudy T

• Pans Jambo

• Rogue Daddy

Guest ToqueJambo
30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How did stopping football during Covid help them?  Maybe helped Raith as they were only 1 point clear but Celtic had the league won.  Do you really think Celtic would rather have the league stopped than played out so they could properly celebrate it?  

Anyway,  good riddance to him, hope we never see him in Scottish football again. 

Yes I think they wanted to get it stopped asap to knock any threat of null and void on the head and guarantee their Europe spot. The way Rangers have played since, you have to wonder if they could have caught Celtic too. Game in hand, one OF derby to go. Win those and it's only a 7pt gap with 7 games to play.

Fozzyonthefence
23 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes I think they wanted to get it stopped asap to knock any threat of null and void on the head and guarantee their Europe spot. The way Rangers have played since, you have to wonder if they could have caught Celtic too. Game in hand, one OF derby to go. Win those and it's only a 7pt gap with 7 games to play.

No chance,  Rangers were in free fall just like Celtic are this season.  Even we beat them twice after new year!

And your first bit doesn’t make any sense - the way to avoid any chance of null and void was not to stop the league which meant it potentially became a possibility, but to play the league out.   

We’re in a similar position to what Celtic were last season.  Would you rather the league was stopped now and the title handed to us with 10 games to go or just play it out and win it properly as we’re going to win it anyway?  A proper title or 0.79 of one?

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Gerrard's an example of how sticking with a manager to let him build his team can pay dividends. A lot of Gerrard's quite early signings are still important players for them - Goldson, McGregor, Arfield, Kamara, Kent, Defoe, Helander.. - despite them achieving very little before this season. He's made a lot of complete dud signings as well. It would have been easy to do a major rebuild each season they failed to win something but Rangers seems have let him do it his way. Quite impressed with how Gerrard has managed Morales as well. He seems to be a bonafide football manager who might actually have a really good career when he moves to a proper club.

I don't know if it could be said Gerrard and his signings achieved "very little" before this season. He gave them a victory over Celtic in his first season, something they had been pining for a long time.

And what has been most beneficial to them? Given a choice of one or the other would it have been more beneficial to win a domestic cup or two? Or qualify for Europa league groups 3 years running?

I would say the latter. If not for that Euro money there would be no Kent, Roofe, and many others besides.

If Wighton and Kingsley had slotted their pens all the speculation in the press about who is replacing Lennon would have happened 2 months ago and been a cause for double celebrations.  Grrrrr

20 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Lampard v Gerrard.

Delicious.

No way is Lampard taking that on. He and Gerrard are mates but they will be rivals. Lampard is never taking on that job knowing that Gerrard has a three season lead on him and the comparisons will be constant.

On top of that, celtic will be looking for someone established to come in and hit the ground running. Their fans went tonto and attacked their team bus for losing a diddy cup game, they will be in no mood for giving a young manager time.

52 minutes ago, Jambo Radus said:

If Wighton and Kingsley had slotted their pens all the speculation in the press about who is replacing Lennon would have happened 2 months ago and been a cause for double celebrations.  Grrrrr

And.... if they hadn’t got the penalty against us the year before Lennon would never have been given the job in the first place.

12 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

No way is Lampard taking that on. He and Gerrard are mates but they will be rivals. Lampard is never taking on that job knowing that Gerrard has a three season lead on him and the comparisons will be constant.

On top of that, celtic will be looking for someone established to come in and hit the ground running. Their fans went tonto and attacked their team bus for losing a diddy cup game, they will be in no mood for giving a young manager time.

The chat today is the Salzburg manager, some American gezzer, apparently very highly thought of.

The thing about managing the old firm is very few have experienced pressure that’s the gold fish bowl of Glasgow and Scottish footballs obsession in general with the 2 of them. I believe Gerrard is only the 2nd manager in Rangers history to be given a 3rd season without winning silverware. I doubt there’s many other leagues where a team finishing second is seen as complete failure.

Celtic fans have an unhealthy obsession with one of their own, any outsider has a battle on his hands from day one. The criteria seems to be former player and/or Irish anyone else is eyed with suspicion and quickly the ‘doesn’t get the club’ mantra appears. At present I can’t think of anyone decent that would fit that profile.

12 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No chance,  Rangers were in free fall just like Celtic are this season.  Even we beat them twice after new year!

And your first bit doesn’t make any sense - the way to avoid any chance of null and void was not to stop the league which meant it potentially became a possibility, but to play the league out.   

We’re in a similar position to what Celtic were last season.  Would you rather the league was stopped now and the title handed to us with 10 games to go or just play it out and win it properly as we’re going to win it anyway?  A proper title or 0.79 of one?

IIRC UEFA had 'hinted' that failure to complete a season or n&v, may result in no teams being granted access to any Euro spots (they were, of course, in the dark as much as the rest of us but must have felt they had to say something!) So, to have a 'clear' winner and to protect sellicks title,  and (more importantly for me, at any rate) their CL spot - the spfl wanted to stop and call the league there and then. So much so, that the spfl had decided to announce 'the vote' prior to the first Scottish Government COVID update. They (dungcaster & liewell) panicked, there can be no other reason that I can see.

It was complete madness, as not only COULD the season have been completed, that is exactly what should have happened... as in almost every other nation. There was no way UEFA would disallow access to Euro comps for English, Italian, German teams etc... but, for some reason, the spfl refused to wait. 

To reinforce this fact, dungcaster has said on live radio that IF the vote hadn't passed, the spfl would have continued 'tweaking' until it did. They were desperate to call the league for celtic.

Given how bad he's been (appalling 10iar capitulation, blowing two highly winnable cl league qualifiers in successive years also embarrassing Celtic 8-2 against a Czech Europa league b team) plus the salary he was on (2.5m) Lennon has to be their worst appointment ever. Did they even watch him at Hibs and Bolton? 

9 hours ago, Rudy T said:

The chat today is the Salzburg manager, some American gezzer, apparently very highly thought of.

The thing about managing the old firm is very few have experienced pressure that’s the gold fish bowl of Glasgow and Scottish footballs obsession in general with the 2 of them. I believe Gerrard is only the 2nd manager in Rangers history to be given a 3rd season without winning silverware. I doubt there’s many other leagues where a team finishing second is seen as complete failure.

Celtic fans have an unhealthy obsession with one of their own, any outsider has a battle on his hands from day one. The criteria seems to be former player and/or Irish anyone else is eyed with suspicion and quickly the ‘doesn’t get the club’ mantra appears. At present I can’t think of anyone decent that would fit that profile.

FFS, Shane Duffy is staring you in the face, man!  :clyay:

Edited by JDK2020

6 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

FFS, Shane Duffy is staring you in the face, man!  :clyay:

oh man how did I miss it... I’ll get my 10er on him at Ladbrokes tomorrow 😂

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

oh man how did I miss it... I’ll get my 10er on him at Ladbrokes tomorrow 😂

They'd probably even take Duffy on as manager as long as he never played in the team. All other credentials are spot on

with the boy taking over from lawell coming from scottish rugby i would not put it past them to try and hire gregor townsend. if they did at least scott brown would still get a game

Former Celtic manager Gordon Strachan believes Neil Lennon's legacy at the club will not be compromised by this week's resignation after a disappointing season and that he will eventually be remembered as fondly as the late Tommy Burns. (Glasgow Evening Times)

• 2 weeks later...
been here before
2 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

What a meltdown that was... mind him talking about resigning after the game, totally, totally broken  :rofl:

"went absolutely tonto... ready to fight his own players... his fury came pouring out... chucked his staff out and tried to take on the team himself..."

Just glorious.

On 25/02/2021 at 12:35, JackLadd said:

Given how bad he's been (appalling 10iar capitulation, blowing two highly winnable cl league qualifiers in successive years also embarrassing Celtic 8-2 against a Czech Europa league b team) plus the salary he was on (2.5m) Lennon has to be their worst appointment ever. Did they even watch him at Hibs and Bolton? 

But, but, but he's a downtrodden Irish Catholic with rotten teeth and an ill fitting tracksuit so clearly gets Celtic 

chester copperpot
36 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Has anyone seen the Slavia Prague tweet? Omg 🤣

What does it say