Tiger Crashes Again

Lord BJ

Won't be long until the average driver starts to put forward the same defence/explanation

If it's good enough for a Tiger it's good enough for a driver

Cairneyhill Jambo

"He could have hit the wrong pedal". 

In other words, nothing to see here. Mr Woods has made a nice donation to our Christmas party knee's up and we won't be taking any further action. 

Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

"He could have hit the wrong pedal". 

In other words, nothing to see here. Mr Woods has made a nice donation to our Christmas party knee's up and we won't be taking any further action. 

Interesting theory. Mainly as the car would 99% certainly be an automatic so that would suggest he was going at that speed in cruise control when he reached that downhill stretch.  And panicked when he realised he was way over the suitable speed for a road that actually has a sand trap for out of control trucks at the bottom of it apparently. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Interesting theory. Mainly as the car would 99% certainly be an automatic so that would suggest he was going at that speed in cruise control when he reached that downhill stretch.  And panicked when he realised he was way over the suitable speed for a road that actually has a sand trap for out of control trucks at the bottom of it apparently. 

Sorry, but I'm not buying that. Surely if its in cruise control, as soon as you hit the brakes, it disengages it? Any half decent driver would know if you're going too fast and you take appropriate action. He shouldn't be driving if that was the case. And he wasn't driving a truck. 

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo
1 minute ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Sorry, but I'm not buying that. Surely if its in cruise control, as soon as you hit the brakes, it disengages it? Any half decent driver would know if you're going too fast and you take appropriate action. He shouldn't be driving if that was the case. And he wasn't driving a truck. 

My point was that to hit the wrong pedal it meant he had his feet off both of them. And the only reason I mentioned there was a trap for trucks was to indicate how steep the road was. And I know he wasn’t in a truck, I’m not a ****ing idiot. 

Sharpie
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

My point was that to hit the wrong pedal it meant he had his feet off both of them. And the only reason I mentioned there was a trap for trucks was to indicate how steep the road was. And I know he wasn’t in a truck, I’m not a ****ing idiot. 

If I got correct what the police officer giving the report said was that it was possible Tiger who  felt the vehicle going possibly put his foot on the accelerator instead of the brake  resulting in the excessively high speed for the conditions. I did wonder how you would make that mistake but the cruise control is a possibility, I have no idea and cruise was not mentioned in the release that I watched. The bend is well known as dangerous and at the time people appeared on TV stating how easily they take it going around there. The speed rating as I understood it was not necessarily the highway speed but the speed that would have been required to have been done to cause the damage that it did plowing through the trees and bushes etc.. The reason given for no charges were a lack of witnesses, no other persons involved in the accident, only Tiger injured and his vehicle damaged. The manner in which it was stated led me to believe these circumstances would be followed in any similar accident not only someone like Tiger. The officer did state that no evidence of alcohol or drugs was indicated. 

Edited by Sharpie
trotter

WTF has cruise control got to do with it? Cruise control doesn't automatically increase your speed, it maintains a speed that you yourself set. If it is a cruise control issue he is still at fault, because he would've had to set the required speed that was well above the posted limit. 

Also, the moment you hit the brake or the accelerator, cruise control disengages completely. So i'm sorry, i'm not buying that as a reason/excuse at all. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Dickhead should get the book thrown at him if found at fault - which I cannot for the life of me seeing him not being other than massive mechanical fault - not something that happens often in modern cars. 

Also also, any reasonable driver knows the difference between where the accelerator and brake pedals are. If he hit the wrong one, either because 1) he didn't know what he was doing, or 2) wasn't paying attention enough to put himself in a panic situation where he didn't do the right thing, the above point still applies. If someone is telling you that he was driving at the limit (45 MPH), and somehow panicked and hit the wrong pedal to the extent he doubled his speed without noticing they are either lying, or are ******* at it. 

Edited by trotter

Thought he glided across a couple of lanes?

It’s possible he was speeding and lost control on a notorious bend but was he alien to that particular stretch of road? 

Going by his TV appearance the day prior, I am swaying more towards him

getting away with a DUI here (not alcohol but something else). 

He is after all living brand and will be protected more than your average Joe. 

BarneyBattles
8 hours ago, trotter said:

WTF has cruise control got to do with it? Cruise control doesn't automatically increase your speed, it maintains a speed that you yourself set. If it is a cruise control issue he is still at fault, because he would've had to set the required speed that was well above the posted limit. 

Also, the moment you hit the brake or the accelerator, cruise control disengages completely. So i'm sorry, i'm not buying that as a reason/excuse at all. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Dickhead should get the book thrown at him if found at fault - which I cannot for the life of me seeing him not being other than massive mechanical fault - not something that happens often in modern cars. 

Also also, any reasonable driver knows the difference between where the accelerator and brake pedals are. If he hit the wrong one, either because 1) he didn't know what he was doing, or 2) wasn't paying attention enough to put himself in a panic situation where he didn't do the right thing, the above point still applies. If someone is telling you that he was driving at the limit (45 MPH), and somehow panicked and hit the wrong pedal to the extent he doubled his speed without noticing they are either lying, or are ******* at it. 

I think what people are saying is that he maybe set cruise control at a certain speed, then realised it was too fast, tried to hit the brake but hit the accelerator instead, thereby increasing his speed. 

Also, cruise doesn't disengage when you accelerate. The car goes faster but if you then take your foot off the accelerator the car returns to the previously set cruise speed. At least that's what happened in the three cars I've owned.

I've no idea if cruise control was a feature of the crash or not.

59 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I think what people are saying is that he maybe set cruise control at a certain speed, then realised it was too fast, tried to hit the brake but hit the accelerator instead, thereby increasing his speed. 

Also, cruise doesn't disengage when you accelerate. The car goes faster but if you then take your foot off the accelerator the car returns to the previously set cruise speed. At least that's what happened in the three cars I've owned.

I've no idea if cruise control was a feature of the crash or not.

At last. Someone who gets what I meant. And I wasn’t saying it was what happened I was saying it’s the only explanation I can think of how he could hit the wrong pedal at that kind of speed, if he’d hit the wrong pedal driving at a normal speed his speed would have gone up very slightly as you’d realise immediately. 

Sharpie

I have literally driven thousands of miles in USA and probably most on freeways, and in cruise control. I have had one place on the road home from Vegas where I Iearned to switch off the cruise. Of all things it was a gently winding up hill., pretty easy driving, pretty high drop on the left. At one point there seemed what was just another gradual bend in the road, so I entered on cruise as I had the previous miles, but this was different, quite a bit sharper, and definitely requiring immediate absence of cruise and slow down. No bother, done fine but I can see if you were not on full alert it could have been quite traumatic.

The other thing I have some doubts about are the suggestions of drink or drugs being or had been used by Tiger, not a big fan of his, probably due to jealousy, but I have to think with his injuries blood tests would have been done at the hospital prior to his surgeries. I am sure if detected if not broadcast officially some one would have accepted a few dollars from a journalist, the secret  would not have lasted long.

From what I heard from the police, it seems their policy is to take no action in a single vehicle accident, with only a driver, no passengers, and no other person involvement or vehicle involvement. no exception was made for Tiger who didn't actually get away scot free, he had some pretty serious injuries to his legs.