Dog Ownership

marooned_59

Can anyone with legal knowledge please advise me please?

I bought a pedigree dog seven years ago. My wife was in a very bad place mentally so I thought a puppy would help ( it did!). However I was given the money to buy him from my mother in law ( cash).

I registered him with the Kennel Club, microchipped him and insured him (all under my name only.

Fast forward seven years and I’m getting divorced and now my wife claims ownership of him.

Legally, who owns the dog?

6 minutes ago, marooned_59 said:

Thanks that seems pretty clear.

Im the only name on all the key documents.

Thanks for your swift response mate.

Hope it works out ok mate :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Are you the type of person to take a puppy out on Bonfire night without a lead or is that more likely the ex partner? That should decide who gets the dog.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/search-edinburgh-puppy-who-fled-after-burst-fireworks-3027052

In this example it is clear from the article who the owner of the pet is, which will be useful for the owner in any future divorce case.

My neighbour went through this six or seven years ago, he was a Gamekeeper and 4 Labradors, all registered in his name at the KC, with the Microchip company and at the vets, but she claimed they were joint assets, they were valued and he had to pay her her half of the value.

Stand at opposite ends of a football pitch, dog in the centre circle. Then when the dog is let loose whoever it goes to get custody. 
Sadly no spectators under lockdown rules. 

A Boy Named Crow
45 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

My uncle's first wife waited until the dog died, then she walked out on him. 😐

Sounds like she was big into Country & Western!

2 hours ago, marooned_59 said:

I bought a pedigree dog seven years ago. My wife was in a very bad place mentally so I thought a puppy would help ( it did!). However I was given the money to buy him from my mother in law ( cash).

I registered him with the Kennel Club, microchipped him and insured him (all under my name only.

Fast forward seven years and I’m getting divorced and now my wife claims ownership of him.

Why not try and come to a compromise and share the care of 

the dog then everyone will be happy and also the dog.I am sure

somebody in the entertainment industry does this.The best of

luck anyway 

26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It was a gift to your wife. End of. 

What's the name of that again ... an indian giver 😳 

If it was bought for a gift for your wife at the time then its hers. I am sure there will be more complex issues to sort out other than the dog. 

I have a 6th month old pup which I paid for and own but it was for my daughter and partner too . I hope I never find myself in this situation but if I did I couldn't take the dog away from my daughter she thinks the world over of her.   

41 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Sounds like she was big into Country & Western!

😁 I do recall the odd checked shirt 🤔 

3 hours ago, marooned_59 said:

So your wife's mum paid for it and you procured the dog for your wife in order to assist with her mental health, but now you want to take the dog away from her on a technicality?

7 hours ago, marooned_59 said:

Did you gift the puppy to her?

If so then she may get custody.

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

Stand at opposite ends of a football pitch, dog in the centre circle. Then when the dog is let loose whoever it goes to get custody. 
Sadly no spectators under lockdown rules. 

I like this idea. :)

My mate had that 30 odd years ago in a messy divorce ****ing bitch took and let it out in the countryside and drove off rather than let him have it.

He spent months searching but never found it.