Dark chocolate

jamborich

37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good man.

Got some 90% Lindt the other day. Goes well with my mid-morning espresso.

I get a bar of Lindt Excellence 90% every week with our click and collect shopping, the heathens swapped it for a 75% bar last week.

:seething:

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, trotter said:

Some of the specialized Lindt stuff is brilliant. But you can't go wrong with a bar of Bourneville

This.

I watched a documentary of this posh bloke who sunk all his money into buying Venezuelan cocoa beans and some equipment and making 100% chocolate a few years back. It was like a fly on the wall documentary and pretty enjoyable.

William Harcourt-Cooze his name was, got called Willy Wonka. Anyway, he eventually managed to get a deal with Waitrose and I just had to try it. 

It was rancid 🤮 went well in pasta sauces though.

Boy knows his chocolate though.

LN_460168_BP_11.jpg

Edited by graygo

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Also goes well with red wine. 

I did this last week.

I felt guilty , ashamed , happy & pissed, all at the same time. 

Good times. 

1 hour ago, smiler said:

****ing weirdos.

Dark chocolate has never been better than milk chocolate.

Yep your right milk chocolate has always been more popular than dark but for some reason having an opinion different to yours I'm a weirdo..ffs you are one sad fecker 

Dark Chocolate is the bollocks, always have some in the house for cooking with (especially in chilli), but it's not something I can eat more than a few squares of at once. 

Dairy Milk though, I'll ****ing demolish whatever amount you put in front of me. 

2 hours ago, jamborich said:

Yep your right milk chocolate has always been more popular than dark but for some reason having an opinion different to yours I'm a weirdo..ffs you are one sad fecker 

Holy ****.

If dark chocolate gives me your humour bypass, I'm staying out.

Cadbury's Dairy Milk ya bass.

3 hours ago, jamborich said:

but for some reason having an opinion different to yours I'm a weirdo..ffs you are one sad fecker 

Wow. You took that a bit too literally. Enjoy your chocolate 👍

Seymour M Hersh

Some dark chocolate is superb. The 90% stuff is just a little too much for me but I do like the 70% stuff. Aldi do a very decent one. 

I am a fan of dark chocolate now. Funny how your palate changes as you grow older. I wouldn't have touched it 15 years ago.

Dairy Milk Darkmilk is a good in-between too and better than normal Dairy Milk. Galaxy, which I prefer to Dairy Milk, have also brought out a dark milk version, but it's not as good as just normal Galaxy so I won't be buying that again.

Edited by Sooperstar

7 hours ago, trotter said:

Some of the specialized Lindt stuff is brilliant. But you can't go wrong with a bar of Bourneville

Have you tried the Bourneville toffees? Divine!

Always been a fan of dark chocolate. Not necessarily this 90% cocoa stuff, but I've always liked the dark versions of most sweets. Dark chocolate Bounty's and dark Ferrero Rocher's are both ****ing incredible. The dark Bueno's are pretty nice too.

I'm not into milk chocolate as much these days, purely because companies seem to **** about with their recipe's too much these days. Cadbury chocolate is nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Always been a fan of dark chocolate. Not necessarily this 90% cocoa stuff, but I've always liked the dark versions of most sweets. Dark chocolate Bounty's and dark Ferrero Rocher's are both ****ing incredible. The dark Bueno's are pretty nice too.

I'm not into milk chocolate as much these days, purely because companies seem to **** about with their recipe's too much these days. Cadbury chocolate is nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

i think the recipe for dairy milk changed when kraft bought them. it has been awful since then

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i think the recipe for dairy milk changed when kraft bought them. it has been awful since then

Definitely gone downhill. Think there's been a lot of tweaks to include less sugar and all that stuff. That kind of thing really pisses me off. If I wanted to eat healthy, I wouldn't buy a ****ing chocolate bar. 

Cadbury used to be the mutt's nuts, but it's like chalk these days.

8 hours ago, trotter said:

I’ve  tried lots of the newer kind of dark chocolate but a bar of bourneville is very hard to beat 

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, trotter said:

Yessss......I’m in your team

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Bournville, Old Jamaica and dark chocolate bounties are my sweet tooth downfall.

We have a winner. Bournville are now doing an Old Jamaica which is as close to the old one as I have tasted

My dad used to eat Bournville. I suppose back then it was probably the only dark chocolate widely available.  I was never keen on the dark stuff, but have developed a liking to it, and like it better than milk now.  If I mind right, the Bournville my dad bought came as two thin bars, on on top of the other in the wrapper.  Do they still sell it like that?

14 hours ago, smiler said:

Wow. You took that a bit too literally. Enjoy your chocolate 👍

Sorry bud had wee bit to much wine last night no offense 

10 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

We have a winner. Bournville are now doing an Old Jamaica which is as close to the old one as I have tasted

:yas:   I knew you’d pop up on this thread, Carl.

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

:yas:   I knew you’d pop up on this thread, Carl.

And I need to dig out the crisp thread as I have something to post on that one too. :)

Dark (plain) chocolate is healthier (yes) but milk chocolate (especially Milka, Cadbury’s and Galaxy) are the bees knees.

White chocolate, on the other hand, is neither.

2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

And I need to dig out the crisp thread as I have something to post on that one too. :)

Good man!

I will add a couple to that one as well.

Crisps and chocolate...  :sweeet:

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Good man!

I will add a couple to that one as well.

Crisps and chocolate...  :sweeet:

A weekend treat for me and the kids. The Bournville Old Jamaica I have only seen in Home Bargains which isnt local to me. My local Tesco doesnt stock them. Must make the effort to go to HB to get some 

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Dark (plain) chocolate is healthier (yes) but milk chocolate (especially Milka, Cadbury’s and Galaxy) are the bees knees.

White chocolate, on the other hand, is neither.

Technically white chocolate isn’t chocolate...

3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

A weekend treat for me and the kids. The Bournville Old Jamaica I have only seen in Home Bargains which isnt local to me. My local Tesco doesnt stock them. Must make the effort to go to HB to get some 

I’ll tell my brother-in-law about the Bournville one, Carl.  

Thats how this whole whole thing started out!  😀

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I didn't know that, Taz.

Can you explain what you mean?

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’ll tell my brother-in-law about the Bournville one, Carl.  

Thats how this whole whole thing started out!  😀

I didn't know that, Taz.

Can you explain what you mean?

there is no chocolate solids in white chocolate

it is like pear cider is technically not cider as cider must be made (or contain) apples

Edited by milky_26

it is like pear cider is technically not cider as cider must be made (or contain) apples

Thanks, milky.

I genuinely didn’t know that.

This. Pear cider should be called Perry I seem to remember. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Technically (legally) the milk chocolate produced in the UK and Ireland isn't chocolate....... (according to the rest of Europe)

Spoiler

I know it's not the case anymore but it was.

Chocolate makers in countries like Belgium and France argued that this lighter chocolate wasn’t real chocolate at all. They won the argument: since 1973, the Irish and British were banned from selling their style of chocolate in any other member country of the EU. Austria, Finland, Sweden, Portugal, and Denmark, which have joined the EU more recently, are also prohibited from selling their own versions of chocolate – similar to Cadbury’s – outside their borders.

https://europe.wisc.edu/outreach-opportunities/european-union-chocolate-simulation/great-european-union-chocolate-battle/

Edited by graygo

J.T.F.Robertson
16 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Milky bar kid any day, mind you can eat dark chocolate as well.

Makes him tough and strong.

Also, rarely goes wrong. 👍

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

15 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Makes him tough and strong.

Also, rarely goes wrong. 👍

I have drug flashbacks if I think of the Milkie Bar Kid. years ago touring with a band we used to live on a tour bus and get a day in a hotel once ever 10 days and check in to the hotel after an overnight drive from the previous gig. We got off the bus thoroughly stoned after a joint for breakfast at the Birmingham Holiday Inn. Little did we know they were doing auditions for the new Milkie Bar Kid for TV adverts. So you get a dozen roadies in various states of out of their tits to be welcomed with the sight of what seemed to be about 100 mini cowboys with Stetson’s and specs. Followed by offended parents at a bunch of scruffy gits in hysterics pointing and laughing at their kids. 
The day got even more out of hand as the hotel had stupidly taken two group bookings from different crews on the same day, and even worse mutual friends between the two crews. High/low points included being thrown out the bar as the drum tech roadie was playing the bar grand piano naked at one point and later having a break out party in the hotel swimming pool in the middle of the night. We were told not to come back.

This thread has little chocolate content. Sorry but it just reminded me of a good memory from the old days. 

Edited by Tazio

J.T.F.Robertson

That's awright, Taz. Covid has much to answer for.

I'm slavering a fair bit of shite myself the night. (Frankie Valli) 

Konrad von Carstein
On 23/02/2021 at 08:24, jonesy said:

I've generally found that the best accompaniment to a good bottle of red wine is another bottle of red wine. :) 

:leveinnaturalorder: