Smash and Grab (NHC)

StevenNaismith

Wow - smash and grab indeed. That was painful viewing for Palace fans for 94 minutes until Benteke's stunner. The second 45 encapsulated our season. Lack of confidence, negative tactics, couldn't string two passes together. And then that finish! That it was against Brighton made it all the sweeter. Following Hearts can be painful at times, but Palace take it to another level, believe me!

3 minutes ago, EagleJambo said:

Wow - smash and grab indeed. That was painful viewing for Palace fans for 94 minutes until Benteke's stunner. The second 45 encapsulated our season. Lack of confidence, negative tactics, couldn't string two passes together. And then that finish! That it was against Brighton made it all the sweeter. Following Hearts can be painful at times, but Palace take it to another level, believe me!

Not wanting to be positive or bring perspective about Hearts in case I'm banned from the board, but this is a very general theme in football this season it would seem.  Look at Spurs, Liverpool and many others.  Even teams like Everton who are having a good season have had a lot of flat games too.

Pro sport is really hard at the moment (like, comparatively, obviously.... they're not working on hospital wards or doon mines!). 

I don't watch much football outwith Hearts but perhaps have a touch more of English football this year just cos there's hee haw else to do, and what I've seen has been pretty disjointed and generally boring.

I'm just not sure anyone can be 100% judged this season.  I guess where we're at is we kinda know the type of football Robbie serves up and we see signs of it again is the issue.

I will also add that I generally think English football is overhyped shite.  Most games are tosh but have glitter thrown all over them and the masses fall for the shiny shiny thing.  Give me a million quid, I'll still be shite.  The money doesn't actually mean anything outwith probably the top 2/3 teams.

20 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not wanting to be positive or bring perspective about Hearts in case I'm banned from the board, but this is a very general theme in football this season it would seem.  Look at Spurs, Liverpool and many others.  Even teams like Everton who are having a good season have had a lot of flat games too.

Pro sport is really hard at the moment (like, comparatively, obviously.... they're not working on hospital wards or doon mines!). 

I don't watch much football outwith Hearts but perhaps have a touch more of English football this year just cos there's hee haw else to do, and what I've seen has been pretty disjointed and generally boring.

I'm just not sure anyone can be 100% judged this season.  I guess where we're at is we kinda know the type of football Robbie serves up and we see signs of it again is the issue.

I will also add that I generally think English football is overhyped shite.  Most games are tosh but have glitter thrown all over them and the masses fall for the shiny shiny thing.  Give me a million quid, I'll still be shite.  The money doesn't actually mean anything outwith probably the top 2/3 teams.

Interesting. I agree with you about this season. I think the absence of fans has impacted on results big time. The number of goals, away wins and teams doing really well and then falling away. An example is the Palace-Burnley game recently when Burnley won 3-0. If supporters had been there, the atmosphere would have been toxic at 2-0 and players left in no doubt what was expected of them. But they get an easy ride without anyone on their backs.

Disagree with you about quality of football in England. This season maybe poor, but I have been impressed with the quality when following Palace home and away over the years (mainly the opposition unfortunately!).

And my final point about lack of supporters at matches. Benteke scored the winner last night at the away end where the Palace fans would have been. We were there last season when we won 1-0 and the atmosphere was unreal. Imagine what would have happened last night with supporters there!!

28 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Hodgson doing a good job at Palace.

A lot of Palace supporters would disagree with you about that. The performance last night (putting the result to one side) a prime example of why.

2 minutes ago, EagleJambo said:

Interesting. I agree with you about this season. I think the absence of fans has impacted on results big time. The number of goals, away wins and teams doing really well and then falling away. An example is the Palace-Burnley game recently when Burnley won 3-0. If supporters had been there, the atmosphere would have been toxic at 2-0 and players left in no doubt what was expected of them. But they get an easy ride without anyone on their backs.

Disagree with you about quality of football in England. This season maybe poor, but I have been impressed with the quality when following Palace home and away over the years (mainly the opposition unfortunately!).

And my final point about lack of supporters at matches. Benteke scored the winner last night at the away end where the Palace fans would have been. We were there last season when we won 1-0 and the atmosphere was unreal. Imagine what would have happened last night with supporters there!!

I just don't get it in England I have to say.  Even some of the "big" games.  How often do you watch and it's a total borefest.  My view is always as long as teams are matched, glitz, glamour etc mean nothing, it can be a good game.  You can watch a great game of junior football.  I guess I just go the opposite direction with the English game, cos they're so over the top telling us its the best "product" in the world and all that.  Like there's a last minute goal and you get "only in the EPL" and all that.  Really.  Nowhere else?

Anyway, wee rant there!! Haha.  We bit of a soft spot for Palace, used to live in Saaaf London and played amateur down Norwood way - all the lads were Palace fans, so kinda liked them at the time.

I think you're right about the lack of fans, but also the restraints on training and match day prep have a big impact.  You'd think OK for the likes of Palace who have their style, not particularly big player turnover I don't think.  But certainly a lot of teams and I'd say especially in Scotland, you're changing half a squad most years.  Not easy to integrate new players, tactics etc.  And then there's the home life.  Not seeing family and friends etc, homeschooling....  Very few people are at their best, why would footballers be any different.

8 minutes ago, EagleJambo said:

A lot of Palace supporters would disagree with you about that. The performance last night (putting the result to one side) a prime example of why.

Not related to last night but I recently read a book on my kindle written by a former palace fanzine editor. Think it was called No it's not the programme would recommend it, can't remember the authors name though. Enjoyed it despite having no affinity with Palace.

12 minutes ago, EagleJambo said:

He keeps them up but the football is super negative. Everytime they try to change coach however it ends up a disaster so I reckon the Palace board are now so shit scared of relegation that they'd rather just keep Woy. 

I'd imagine this is his last season in charge though. 

SectionDJambo

I only saw the last 5 minutes or so of the match.

One thing I noticed was that when Brighton were on the attack, with players in the Palace box, instead of getting a cross in and taking a gamble on someone getting on the end of it, they passed the ball around and they ended up passing the ball out for a goal kick.

A minute later, Townsend, instead looking for an easy or safe pass backwards, or going into the corner to waste time, launched over a cross in the hope that a Palace player would make something from it.

Palace scored and the risk taking paid off. Brighton left being punished for not taking the risk.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Feel sorry for Brighton fans.  Despite their lowly position they always try to play good fluent football but somehow can't finish it off.

Maybe they should try and play winning football instead?

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Do you think they're not trying to play winning football?

Prompts the question that if you can't convert possession into winning football would you rather watch Stendel type football ot Neilson style?

10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

This. I hate watching a game with Palace involved, they're so incredibly boring and negative.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Do you think they're not trying to play winning football?

Prompts the question that if you can't convert possession into winning football would you rather watch Stendel type football ot Neilson style?

They're all style over substance.

I want a winning team, how that win comes is secondary.

I actually think we had a lot of those types of games last year. Dominated and had plenty shots but couldn’t score. Whereas opposition just needed half a chance and Berra/Halkett/Bobby/Joel would mess it up

iwasthere1954
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I just don't get it in England I have to say.  Even some of the "big" games.  How often do you watch and it's a total borefest.  My view is always as long as teams are matched, glitz, glamour etc mean nothing, it can be a good game.  You can watch a great game of junior football.  I guess I just go the opposite direction with the English game, cos they're so over the top telling us its the best "product" in the world and all that.  Like there's a last minute goal and you get "only in the EPL" and all that.  Really.  Nowhere else?

Anyway, wee rant there!! Haha.  We bit of a soft spot for Palace, used to live in Saaaf London and played amateur down Norwood way - all the lads were Palace fans, so kinda liked them at the time.

I think you're right about the lack of fans, but also the restraints on training and match day prep have a big impact.  You'd think OK for the likes of Palace who have their style, not particularly big player turnover I don't think.  But certainly a lot of teams and I'd say especially in Scotland, you're changing half a squad most years.  Not easy to integrate new players, tactics etc.  And then there's the home life.  Not seeing family and friends etc, homeschooling....  Very few people are at their best, why would footballers be any different.

I have to agree on this post and your previous one. Hyped beyond belief.  One game last week the commentator left me speechless. "The way he blocked that shot was world class" As you said only in the EPL

1 hour ago, iwasthere1954 said:

I have to agree on this post and your previous one. Hyped beyond belief.  One game last week the commentator left me speechless. "The way he blocked that shot was world class" As you said only in the EPL

Ha ha, yeah like Colin Hendrie was world class!!!

17 hours ago, One five said:

20 shots off target, they must have been watching us on Saturday!

Robbie will be sniffing about to get one of these players on loan. 

6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He keeps them up but the football is super negative. Everytime they try to change coach however it ends up a disaster so I reckon the Palace board are now so shit scared of relegation that they'd rather just keep Woy. 

I'd imagine this is his last season in charge though. 

After last night's result, my bet is he will stay on next season, but can't see him continuing much beyond that. The irony is a lot of Palace fans were sharpening their knives last night with the performance and ended up with the best celebration of the season!

5 hours ago, Taffin said:

This. I hate watching a game with Palace involved, they're so incredibly boring and negative.

My son has said exactly the same in many games this season! 😄

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

They do slaver some asinine shite.