Driving lessons

Jambo 4 Ever

My nephew is looking to learn to drive when guidelines allow etc.

He is based in Edinburgh 

Can anyone recommend driving instructors?

and any idea how long the back log is just now to get a test etc?

cheers in advance 

41 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

He is based in Edinburgh 

cheers in advance 

Not sure about the cities but there is a huge backlog in smaller places.  Before the second lockdown people where I live were having to sit their test on a different route from where they learned.  

Might give you a rough idea of the backlog  

29 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Not sure about the cities but there is a huge backlog in smaller places.  Before the second lockdown people where I live were having to sit their test on a different route from where they learned.  

Might give you a rough idea of the backlog  

Ok thanks

dont think he is in a major rush but would like to know for expectations 

Theory Tests are still suspended in Scotland as well at the minute, and have been for ages, so you might have a long wait for that side of things as well.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Will this be this your new chauffeur to the caravan park? Do you know when they open?

You can jerk right off mate 

13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Theory Tests are still suspended in Scotland as well at the minute, and have been for ages, so you might have a long wait for that side of things as well.

Ahhh ok good to know

Will pass that message on.

Realistically do you think it would be this calendar year when he could book a test?

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ahhh ok good to know

Will pass that message on.

Realistically do you think it would be this calendar year when he could book a test?

Think it really depends on when the restrictions get lifted, but also on how good a driver he is :lol:  If he needs loads of lessons, then I would think it might mean a longer wait between them as they get through the backlog.  I'd imagine a lot of people will be wanting lessons booked, so you could be looking at having to wait over a week or two between them as they sort through them all.

Get him out in the car with you with the L plates on, and try and get as much experience as he can so he doesn't need as many, and he'll likely have an easier time if he only needs to book a handful.

4 hours ago, tian447 said:

Think it really depends on when the restrictions get lifted, but also on how good a driver he is :lol:  If he needs loads of lessons, then I would think it might mean a longer wait between them as they get through the backlog.  I'd imagine a lot of people will be wanting lessons booked, so you could be looking at having to wait over a week or two between them as they sort through them all.

Get him out in the car with you with the L plates on, and try and get as much experience as he can so he doesn't need as many, and he'll likely have an easier time if he only needs to book a handful.

Good idea 

thanks

6 minutes ago, Suffolk Jambo said:

Arnold Clark do dual control learner cars if you would rather have a clutch and brake pedal and would rather not use your own car. Young Scot cardholders get 2 hours for the price of 1 too, so 2 hours can be had for £12 once the restriction are lifted.

https://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/dual-control-hire?source=home

Great thanks for this 

The number of test centre's has reduced over the last few years meaning that even pre-covid there was a fair wait for tests, I failed first time at the start of Oct 19 and re-sit was nearly 4 weeks later with a cancellation (without the cancelation i'd have had to wait until the first week of Jan). So with the backlog from Covid he might have a fair wait, not just for the test but for instructors to have space for new customers.

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

The number of test centre's has reduced over the last few years meaning that even pre-covid there was a fair wait for tests, I failed first time at the start of Oct 19 and re-sit was nearly 4 weeks later with a cancellation (without the cancelation i'd have had to wait until the first week of Jan). So with the backlog from Covid he might have a fair wait, not just for the test but for instructors to have space for new customers.

Ah yeh that makes sense

helpful to know

13 hours ago, kila said:

Heriot Watt’s research park is a great place to learn to drive. When I were in halls it was where I learnt handbrake turns. 

Hah good to know 

8 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Are they? I thought not...

I've definitely seen learner cars with students out on the road. As recently as last week.

8 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Are they? I thought not...

Nah they are not allowed. 

My pal had just started lessons before this lockdown, he has been trying for months to get his theory test booked, but there is such a backlog that he couldnt get anywhere for months. 

when I booked my test in 2019 I had to wait 10 weeks for it, then I failed and rebooked and it was another 10 weeks. Id imagine it will be double or treble that time now. 

glad I was able to do it in 2019 and didnt wait till 2020 🤣

Jsut had a look on Gov website and it does say that lessons and tests are suspended. Which is weird as I literally had to stop and give extra space to a learner last week...

18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Jsut had a look on Gov website and it does say that lessons and tests are suspended. Which is weird as I literally had to stop and give extra space to a learner last week...

Every chance they could be out with a family member. 

I remember i used the arnold clark car, it still had the block on top showing me as a learner

On 22/02/2021 at 15:19, Jambo 4 Ever said:

He is based in Edinburgh 

cheers in advance 

Good post.

44 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Nah they are not allowed. 

My pal had just started lessons before this lockdown, he has been trying for months to get his theory test booked, but there is such a backlog that he couldnt get anywhere for months. 

when I booked my test in 2019 I had to wait 10 weeks for it, then I failed and rebooked and it was another 10 weeks. Id imagine it will be double or treble that time now. 

glad I was able to do it in 2019 and didnt wait till 2020 🤣

Likewise, totally underestimated the wait time for a test and blame that for failing first time as i'd been doing 2 x 2 hour lessons a week but then due to the time until my test I held back on lessons (even stopped for 3/4 weeks) before completing my second block of 10 hours just before my test, luckily got a cancellation and other than the hour before my second test I didn't have any additional lessons and despite driving worse overall the second time I didn't have any major faults and passed (first time round I had 1 minor fault and 1 major about 300 yards from the end of the test where I had edged past the white line at a junction but stopped when the lights turned red).

On 25/02/2021 at 09:19, Ribble said:

Likewise, totally underestimated the wait time for a test and blame that for failing first time as i'd been doing 2 x 2 hour lessons a week but then due to the time until my test I held back on lessons (even stopped for 3/4 weeks) before completing my second block of 10 hours just before my test, luckily got a cancellation and other than the hour before my second test I didn't have any additional lessons and despite driving worse overall the second time I didn't have any major faults and passed (first time round I had 1 minor fault and 1 major about 300 yards from the end of the test where I had edged past the white line at a junction but stopped when the lights turned red).

Harsh major 

Slightly off topic but I recommend intensive courses. I'd taken a couple of lessons here and there over the years but never saw it through.

I then went for an intensive course at the age of 45, first lesson on the Monday, the test was the following Monday, passed with flying colours.

It was stressful, it was intense, but it worked, everything I'd learned was fresh for my test. As I say, highly recommended.

Edited by Smithee

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Slightly off topic but I recommend intensive courses. I'd taken a couple of lessons here and there over the years but never saw it through.

I then went for an intensive course at the age of 45, first lesson on the Monday, the test was the following Monday, passed with flying colours.

It was stressful, it was intense, but it worked, everything I'd learned was fresh for my test. As I say, highly recommended.

That or as I did with 2 hour lessons twice a week, doing an hour a week just isn’t enough if you spend half of it getting to where you were the week before. Would also suggest being picked up in the area of the test centre if possible, that way all of your lesson is spent learning the roads you’ll be tested on.

Jambo 4 Ever
On 22/02/2021 at 17:34, tian447 said:

Any idea when I they are back up and running?