Is playing for Hearts too much pressure for some ?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Would it be fair to presume that playing for Hearts is a step too much for some of the players to cope with? The standards, demands expectations and size of the club that they do not perform at their natural levels of which the club signed them. 

As we have recently seen with Craig Wighton who mostly looked like a fish out of water while playing for us then on Saturday scoring 2 on his debut for Dunfermline. 

Is  the added pressure of fans expectations of scoring goals, winning games proving too much as they look as though they are not taking sole responsibility for performances and full of excuses 

Craig wighton could easily score 2 against Alloa at home for hearts.. I agree when the fans are in at tynie some of the players may shirk from the pressure but this season it shouldn’t be the case

I think the vast majority of this squad are good enough, just hindered with our style of play tbh.

The pressure of playing the way the manager wants seems to be getting to them more than the pressure of playing for us.

There are of course a few exceptions to above who are out of their depth.

Could also go the other way and say it's actually too easy being at Hearts. There seem to be no punishment for poor performances, just plod along with no pressure from those that should be applying it.

20 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

Would it be fair to presume that playing for Hearts is a step too much for some of the players to cope with? The standards, demands expectations and size of the club that they do not perform at their natural levels of which the club signed them. 

As we have recently seen with Craig Wighton who mostly looked like a fish out of water while playing for us then on Saturday scoring 2 on his debut for Dunfermline. 

Is  the added pressure of fans expectations of scoring goals, winning games proving too much as they look as though they are not taking sole responsibility for performances and full of excuses 

i wonder how many of the posters here would be able to perform to their full potential in their job of someone was dishing out abuse at them like you see on this site.

We have a team full of imposters on their final long term contracts.

That is the problem, so many of them are to cosy and don't really give a sh*t for the club we love.

I wonder what Craig Gordon and Jamie Walker think about the lazy passengers playing along side them not interested in the Hearts.

Just now, Australis said:

We have a team full of imposters on their final long term contracts.

That is the problem, so many of them are to cosy and don't really give a sh*t for the club we love.

I wonder what Craig Gordon and Jamie Walker think about the lazy passengers playing along side them not interested in the Hearts.

The list of imposters changes from month to month though as Jamie was a leader in that list, for some, not so long ago. 

Definitely it's mentality issue. Are hearts a step up for some? You'd think the like of naysmith, White and berra, Gordon ect no. 

For some reason players who hearts have recruited for the past decade haven't been good enough for whatever reason.

All boils down to management. A and since budge has arrived the footballing department has been utterly woeful. 

Buck stops with her I'm afraid. 

Being relagated after going into administration was the start of the slide and we have been sliding ever since. 

The mindset and mentality of the entire club needs to change. That takes a special person. 

JJ was that man, Sergio was another. 

We need another born leader with a winning mentality. Someone who has a proven track record of it. 

Robbie was a safe option. He now has the opportunity to build and lead this football club up the levels expected by the fans. 

Sadly he isn't the man for the job. His tactics and approach to games is underwhelming. 

I hope once budge is gone and we are finally financially capable of achieving our target we will employ that leader we so desperately desire to lead us to the promise land. 

Every other team in the top flight seemed to be able to counter attack better than us. We seem to stutter the ball up the park after sideways and backwards passes and by the time we get there all their defenders are nicely lined up in position to deal with the threat. The slow build up and patient approach which appears to be the style this year leads to the same issue. That’s not players under pressure, it’s just poor. Ineffective football 

Edited by GinRummy

Too many passengers in the team. We need to get them running up the dunes at Gullane after a poor performance that will show who the slackers really are.

13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I think the vast majority of this squad are good enough, just hindered with our style of play tbh.

The pressure of playing the way the manager wants seems to be getting to them more than the pressure of playing for us.

think there's a bit of this - but also the pressure of playing for hearts. I feel players are a bit on edge - if we don't score within the first 15-20 mins the pressure / nerves continue to build and it snowballs in the game and then onto the next game.

Just now, Jim Panzee said:

think there's a bit of this - but also the pressure of playing for hearts. I feel players are a bit on edge - if we don't score within the first 15-20 mins the pressure / nerves continue to build and it snowballs in the game and then onto the next game.

Maybe some are good enough but very few are hungry enough. 

I’ve read all sorts of reasons trying to explain why we’ve been so bad for so long; too much pressure, tactics, fans not supportive enough, managers, referees etc. 

If you ask me the answer is obvious. Our recruitment over the last decade and more has been laughable. Just go onto London Hearts and look at the squads over that time and remind yourself of the criminal waste of money we’ve burnt through and by the looks of our current squad continue to burn through.  

Our Head of Recruitment’s success rate must be the lowest in world football. 

42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think following Hearts is too much pressure for some. 😄

😀  I was just thinking the same thing 👍

Edited by Lone Striker

Look at Saturday's first team. Does anyone really believe playing for Hearts is too big for Craig Gordon, Michael Smith, Stephen Kingsley, Andy Halliday, GMS, Steven Naismith or Liam Boyce? It obviously isn't. Halliday and GMS aren't playing well but they've played at clubs bigger than Hearts.

That leaves Halkett, Popescu, McEneff and Kastaneer. McEneff and Kastaneer are just in the door. So at this stage nobody can definitively say that playing for Hearts is too big for them. That only leaves Halkett and Popescu to debate over.

I really don't think this is the problem with the team right now. I'd say there not being any fans inside Tynecastle is more of an issue than players not being able to handle playing for Hearts.

41 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Could also go the other way and say it's actually too easy being at Hearts. There seem to be no punishment for poor performances, just plod along with no pressure from those that should be applying it.

Something in that I think. 

When the manager blames the pitch, the refs etc. maybe he should just be honest and brutal and say that performance is nowhere good enough for HMFC. 

Maybe he does behind closed doors but I somehow doubt it. 

The body language of him and McCulloch on the side lines has no animation whatsoever ever about it except when having a go at the referee. 

This is the guy who last time round ordered triple training sessions to get fitness levels up. 

The players need someone or something to give tham a right good boot up the arse imo. 

Fozzyonthefence
48 minutes ago, Hesh said:

i wonder how many of the posters here would be able to perform to their full potential in their job of someone was dishing out abuse at them like you see on this site.

🤣🤣 That’ll be the reason they’re playing so badly then.  Simple solution, don’t read JKB if any of them actually do anyway.  If I was a player, I won’t be anywhere near social media.  If they can’t handle a few posts from fans having an opinion god help the poor little petals when fans are allowed back!

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

🤣🤣 That’ll be the reason they’re playing so badly then.  Simple solution, don’t read JKB if any of them actually do anyway.  If I was a player, I won’t be anywhere near social media.  If they can’t handle a few posts from fans having an opinion god help the poor little petals when fans are allowed back!

agree - all pro players really should be able to let criticism from fans go in one ear and out the other - more because they have to have massive self belief in their abilities just to make it to the professional level. 

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Look at Saturday's first team. Does anyone really believe playing for Hearts is too big for Craig Gordon, Michael Smith, Stephen Kingsley, Andy Halliday, GMS, Steven Naismith or Liam Boyce? It obviously isn't. Halliday and GMS aren't playing well but they've played at clubs bigger than Hearts.

That leaves Halkett, Popescu, McEneff and Kastaneer. McEneff and Kastaneer are just in the door. So at this stage nobody can definitively say that playing for Hearts is too big for them. That only leaves Halkett and Popescu to debate over.

I really don't think this is the problem with the team right now. I'd say there not being any fans inside Tynecastle is more of an issue than players not being able to handle playing for Hearts.

I’d agree with most of that except the last bit - having fans last season didn’t help either!  St Mirren iirc was the only bottom 6 team we managed to beat at home last season despite all of those must win games in front of 16/17k fans.  

Having fans / not having fans seems to make no difference.  We need to look at the players’s attitudes and of course the managers we’ve had recently.  Hearts being too big for them I find a bit of a cringey OF type attitude.  

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Doesn't really apply this season though, does it.

30 minutes ago, Gambo said:

There are of course a few exceptions to above who are out of their depth.

I agree 100% with this.  Clubs like Livi & St. Johnstone seem to get a lot out of average players - whereas we seem to get less out of bigger name (and much higher paid) players.      Why ?   Are we over-coaching things ?   Too rigid a style ?  it's almost as if our coaches instil the principle of retaining possession into players as the objective of the game - safety first stuff.

Would we be telling Neymar that he needs to track back more, and  don't try to dribble past anyone  in case he loses possession ?    

It's very infuriating, and it's costing us money every transfer window to try another throw of the dice.     I rate Boycie very highly, but I worry he'll  wake up one morning and think "I've had enough of this sh1te - I'm off when my contract ends"

Maybe the Hearts website page with the 1st team squad gives us a clue  to the mentality our coaches have -  GMS, Gino, Frear, Kastaneer  and Roberts are all included under "Midfield".    :tlj:

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

If they are on edge now god help them when the fans are back. 

25 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I agree 100% with this.  Clubs like Livi & St. Johnstone seem to get a lot out of average players - whereas we seem to get less out of bigger name (and much higher paid) players.      Why ?   Are we over-coaching things ?   Too rigid a style ?  it's almost as if our coaches instil the principle of retaining possession into players as the objective of the game - safety first stuff.

Would we be telling Neymar that he needs to track back more, and  don't try to dribble past anyone  in case he loses possession ?    

It's very infuriating, and it's costing us money every transfer window to try another throw of the dice.     I rate Boycie very highly, but I worry he'll  wake up one morning and think "I've had enough of this sh1te - I'm off when my contract ends"

By the look on Boyce's face at times he is already starting to get severely pissed off in that team and the crappy style of play. 

Without fans I don't think they are really feeling much pressure. OK there's social media noise but that's a constant anyway.

I am getting fed up of blaming the players though. It's been a theme for years now, and it's interesting to see how some of the players do when they are away from Hearts. Thought the previous manager was starting to get a tune out of the shite he had, so with the additions this season it is disappointing the lack of shots on target.

The football will improve with the weather though. But that applies to all teams...

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Something in that I think. 

When the manager blames the pitch, the refs etc. maybe he should just be honest and brutal and say that performance is nowhere good enough for HMFC. 

Maybe he does behind closed doors but I somehow doubt it. 

The body language of him and McCulloch on the side lines has no animation whatsoever ever about it except when having a go at the referee. 

This is the guy who last time round ordered triple training sessions to get fitness levels up. 

The players need someone or something to give tham a right good boot up the arse imo. 

McCulloch surprises me. I thought he would be demanding to work with, but there is just an air of complacency around us; the club, the staff and the players.  

They are very lucky there are no fans in. I'm not one to shout and ball and demand sackings etc but much of this season has been unacceptable. 

I'm not sure players can't cope with the demand of playing for us, maybe we just have the wrong type of players here. Hence the reason we will go on yet another rebuild this summer.

7 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

McCulloch surprises me. I thought he would be demanding to work with, but there is just an air of complacency around us; the club, the staff and the players.  

They are very lucky there are no fans in. I'm not one to shout and ball and demand sackings etc but much of this season has been unacceptable. 

I'm not sure players can't cope with the demand of playing for us, maybe we just have the wrong type of players here. Hence the reason we will go on yet another rebuild this summer.

Yeah McCulloch is not what I thought he would be. 

He seemed to be a right winner as a player and have a tough streak about him. 

Certainly don't see that coming across during the games anyway. 

2 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Double edged sword, isn’t it?  

There should be pressure at Hearts but is that pressure being translated properly to the players? Not in a way to daunt them, but how it’s integrated into the mentality.  

Certainly prior to this season it had been a mix of everything for 3  or so years. Players not good enough, poor strategy, poor mentality etc...

Edited by Debut 4

Dagger Is Back

I don't see it as having anything to do with pressure, especially this season.

How many players who leave us go on to what we'd think are bigger gigs? Not very many. I'd suggest that many are simply not good enough because we've had bampots like JM involved in the whole recruitment process. To that, you can add in coaches who say you can't lose a game unless the opposition scores and more tablets in your dugout than they have at PC World, along with coaches who over analyse the game focussing too much on the opposition and how to nullify them instead of focussing on their own teams strengths 

Then there are the players you sign and ask to play in a completely different style from the one that attracted you in the first place i.e. John Sutton - a penalty box striker every day of the week, but we ask him to run the channels. 

Levein talked about getting the right players in in terms of mentality as well as skill. In many cases he failed miserably. If any of the current crop reckon the pressure of playing for Hearts is too great, wait until they're in front of an unforgiving home crowd. It soon won't be a problem for them as they head off into football obscurity.

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I don't see it as having anything to do with pressure, especially this season.

How many players who leave us go on to what we'd think are bigger gigs? Not very many. I'd suggest that many are simply not good enough because we've had bampots like JM involved in the whole recruitment process. To that, you can add in coaches who say you can't lose a game unless the opposition scores and more tablets in your dugout than they have at PC World, along with coaches who over analyse the game focussing too much on the opposition and how to nullify them instead of focussing on their own teams strengths 

Then there are the players you sign and ask to play in a completely different style from the one that attracted you in the first place i.e. John Sutton - a penalty box striker every day of the week, but we ask him to run the channels. 

Levein talked about getting the right players in in terms of mentality as well as skill. In many cases he failed miserably. If any of the current crop reckon the pressure of playing for Hearts is too great, wait until they're in front of an unforgiving home crowd. It soon won't be a problem for them as they head off into football obscurity.

Touching on your last paragraph. 

There’s players who come to us and talk about going onto bigger and better things after being in the door 5 minutes. There’s a delusional generation of players seeing the bright lights of the EPL riches before they’ve even established themselves elsewhere. 

It’s in the head too much. Latterly, a couple of overrated, lauded to the hilt players went back the way after Hearts. 

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Touching on your last paragraph. 

There’s players who come to us and talk about going onto bigger and better things after being in the door 5 minutes. There’s a delusional generation of players seeing the bright lights of the EPL riches before they’ve even established themselves elsewhere. 

It’s in the head too much. Latterly, a couple of overrated, lauded to the hilt players went back the way after Hearts. 

Yeah that's a really good point. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The list of imposters changes from month to month though as Jamie was a leader in that list, for some, not so long ago. 

Exactly - it’s what ever is the flavour of the week for some.  There is no doubt though that some of the recent signings are finding it difficult to bed in.  I think I’ll leave it a couple more weeks before passing judgement on them. The problem on here is that some want these signings to hit the deck running. That seldom happens, especially if the player has not played for some time.  Friday should be interesting.

For previous seasons we've been shit due to poor management and under performing player. This season there is also an element of playing absolute dross who sit 10/11 players behind the ball and with some poor finishing. People need to not underestimate how much of an effect having that many bodies behind the ball has on the controlling team.

To play for Hearts, especially at tynecastle when fans are there requires players with a strong mentality. 

Gary Locke done a metal health talk at my work about 18 months ago and said as much, stating at the time that there were players at the club who had great ability but might not be a success at Hearts due to the mental strength required to play here, especially compared to other clubs. 

1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

Bang on 👏👏👏

2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

very well said.

for me it’s the coaches unfortunately, once again.

Ex member of the SaS

I don't think they are poor players as shown in the Celtic game, I think the main problem lies in 1) they think we are too good for this league and think they can walk into every game without really trying and 2) the training and tactics are wrong for the players we have. 

Everyone is convinced Boyce needs a partner, yet he plays every game on his own. Everyone thinks Naismith is not a mid field player but that is where he plays every game.

Taking two players ( one of them meant to be the main striker ) out of the team added to the fact that the mid field and defense rarely get past the half way line is it any wonder we can't score goals.

Last time we were in the Championship, IIRC, we had players for virtually every position scoring yet the mid is frightened to even pass forward never mind get there.

SomethingAboutObua

I don't think this argument for how bad some players are holds much weight this year.

I agree people aren't used to playing at Tynecastle and are probably surprised how quickly the fans turn on the players , but there's no fans to tell you you're gash this year. It's hardly as if the coaching and management team are going to be telling the players they're crap and ripping the confidence out of them.

How many players does that actually affect? 

Can’t be kids who come through ranks. Can’t be Naisy Gordon, Damour, GMS, Halliday, Kingsley. 

Leaves you with guys like Frear, Halkett, Popescu, Roberts.

Maybe to an extent but not sure they will be feeling that much pressure. We’re not real madrid

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I genuinely think some fans play Football Manager and expect the same thing to happen in real life. It is evident in that one week the players are awful the next they are great. These are human beings with ups and downs good days, bad days. They are not a computer run program as I am certain a lot on here think they are. 

I think this season anyway it's lackadaisical as with no fans they can't be feeling any pressure.Its not only Hearts that are this way though.

So that added in to the fact we are pretty pish.

Edited by vegas-voss

Howdy Doody Jambo
5 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Very well put and goes to show if a team has 1 or 2 passenger's who can't handle the heat and a couple who don't perform to their capabilities on the day then it brings down the whole ship suppose you see poor results when team's constantly rotate their squad due to injuries, suspensions and poor form 

We do have the strongest squad in the league however their is a problem with self motivation if players cannot perform without the fans 

Guest ToqueJambo

I think some players are struggling with the lack of atmosphere at games. Many players feed off crowds, or so we got told week in week out during normal times.

It's crazy to assume the lack of fans isn't having an effect. And it will affect our players much more than teams used to playing in front of one man and his dog.

Some players may also be struggling with mental health, which is affecting their work and motivation, like lots of people are.

4 hours ago, Ribble said:

To play for Hearts, especially at tynecastle when fans are there requires players with a strong mentality. 

Gary Locke done a metal health talk at my work about 18 months ago and said as much, stating at the time that there were players at the club who had great ability but might not be a success at Hearts due to the mental strength required to play here, especially compared to other clubs. 

I'd like to know what this "mentality to play for Hearts" thing actually is.  Is there a similar mental toughness  required to play for Aberdeen or Hibs or Kilmarnock or Livi ?      If our coaches/manager are "warning" every new player that Hearts fans have high expectations (top 4 place in the Premiership every year and a good cup run), maybe it's causing some of them to hide a bit on the pitch - just do the simple sideways stuff and hope someone else takes responsibility for creating and scoring ?     Sean Clare springs to mind, Wighton too.    

Anyone able to add some detail to this mentality thing ?