Peter Haring

JennytheJambo

Berra than you
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

But your forgetting Naismith and Haring were both rushed back from their injures, so much so that Haring after playing the cup final, was out for a year and a bit, Levein tried to rush back Naismith too. 

Robbie isn't getting the best out of him, because he is playing players out of position on a regular basis. 

That game in particular versus hibs at easter road he had mcghee playing left back, he had Liam Smith at left back, when hearts first went back up, he put Igor Rossi at left back, against Aberdeen at home we got mauled 3-1. 

He brought in juwon, we all know how that turned out, he neglected our left back position. 

It's okay saying Robbie left us in second, but overall what did he leave us with?. 

In the same game against Aberdeen at home he played reilly just off juanma, with sow out on the right and walker out on the left. 

If you look at the goal hibs score mcghee is playing left back, Igor Rossi comes across to cover for him, meaning he's left his position in the centre of defence, mcghee goes to cover Rossi but Cummings gets in between blazy and mcghee, this goal was scored down the left hand side of our defence, because mcghee was played out of position. 

I'm not forgetting anything, just stating that's it can't be 100% down to the managers when players are consistently underperforming. 

My main criticism of Robbie would be his shoehorning of players into wrong positions and worrying about opponents too much. I'll have to take your word for that goal as there is no chance I'm making myself watch it again. 

On your point about what did Robbie leave us with, I think everyone would agree that it's impossible to know. Cathro came in, got worse results, ripped the squad apart and then made us even worse. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Drumjambo

• JimmyCant

• A_A wehatethehibs

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Mate with all due respect you trying to tell me these players aren't good enough, to be blitzing teams we blitz dundee at the start of the season?. 

How many performances have we followed up from that?. 

I make it around 8 performances as comprehensive if not more so. Not all of them yielded 6 goals, but they were still games we never looked like losing or just played well in and were dominant even if we couldn't convert all our possession or chances. I'm including the Celtic cup final and Hibs win. So around half our games if not more. Of the other half, we've still only lost 3 out of the league games we haven't played as well in and we had the Alloa cup result that was the worst result of the season so far.

For context, in 15/16 Rangers with their many more millions had lost against Hibs, Falkirk and St Johnstone by this stage of the season. Hibs, with no pandemic constraints etc, in 2016/17 had lost to Ayr, QoS, St Mirren and D Utd.

Both Rangers and Hibs had many games in the Championship, like us, that they scraped 1-0 or drew. Hibs had not dished out the kind of gubbings we have so far in individual games.

Edited by ToqueJambo

9 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

disagree. Pre Dundee he was fine and was excellent in the semi. 

Exactly! Haring in numerous performances has proven himself to be a first class player for us - one bad game and we right him off???

Our midfield has struggled over the last few games and yet he is left sitting on the bench. Something just doesn’t stack up.

9 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Lee and Wighton played well that day too. Both been moved on. Was Haring fine against Alloa when we crashed out? Played the whole game. Looking at the big picture, Haring and Lee are players who’ve had their day at Hearts and fell a bit short even though they both gave it everything in big games. The team for the 2021-22 Premiership season I think there’ll be no survivors from the 2018-20 group of Levein players. Quite clear to me that Neilson is in the process of binning every last player from that squad, and the current group are a transitional team to get us out the championship. 

So do you reckon Popescu is a step up as a utility player to Haring - His stint at right back was brutal and he's made a mistake in every game bar the one he got clobbered in - I think Haring has proved his worth  at a level above Mihai. 

Mind you Robbie did sign Oshinawa and Conor Sammon so has an eye for a player

8 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Haring was made to look ordinary by Charlie Adam. He was picked to play to stop Adam playing. Unfortunately, he looked average. Adam made the difference which led to two of Dundee’s goals. Had he stopped Adam. We wouldn’t have lost. 

had kingsley not missed an absolute sitter of a header from 4 yards we wouldn't have lost - Adam is still a decent player at this level and big Peter was coming back from a year and a half out - He clearly needs games 

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

One nutmeg which made him look silly but let’s be honest here, Adam made the whole midfield look a bit silly that night until Irving came on and got in his face. That’s how you play Charlie Adam, noise him up, leave something on him and his discipline and focus go.

Haring is a scapegoat IMO. Totally unfairly. No he wasn’t great in his last two games but neither were many others. May be something going on there in the background between him and Neilson.

Also Jimmy Adam was blowing out his arse by the time Irving came on

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

When is his contract 

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Searched and his contract runs until 2022. Robbie can’t easily ‘empty’ him at the end of the season. I don’t think he wants rid of him anyway or he wouldn’t be on the bench. 

Ok let’s see if he gets any game time during the run in. A fully fit Haring would be a first pick for me.

5 hours ago, Drumjambo said:

Smith has had two absolute howlers last 4 games He wasn't signed by Robbie either was he??

What alternative right back do we have?

4 hours ago, R1874 said:

I want to see Haring Irving McEneff play as a 3. Feel we’d absolute boss games - got a bit of everything 

100% this

Feel for Haring but I can't see how much he can actually offer in the championship season. The type of player and the way he plays is very important in the top division but the way the championship teams play against us I just don't see how he fits in. Plus the Astro's, and weather it probably won't help his recent injury problems.  

He suits opposition like Celtic and rangers where they will play football in the middle of the pitch and not just boot it forward.  The first concern for me is a badly timed tackle on an astro by a part time player and the risk factor.  He unfortunately doesn't have the best pace to be effective in this league. I'm just hoping this isn't going to be the end of his hearts career but he should be back in defence for the time being if he doesn't fit in our midfield.  I'm starting to think the manager doesn't want him.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Exactly! Haring in numerous performances has proven himself to be a first class player for us - one bad game and we right him off???

Our midfield has struggled over the last few games and yet he is left sitting on the bench. Something just doesn’t stack up.

Edit. Wrong end of the stick. Forget it. 

Edited by GinRummy

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Feel for Haring but I can't see how much he can actually offer in the championship season. The type of player and the way he plays is very important in the top division but the way the championship teams play against us I just don't see how he fits in. Plus the Astro's, and weather it probably won't help his recent injury problems.  

He suits opposition like Celtic and rangers where they will play football in the middle of the pitch and not just boot it forward.  The first concern for me is a badly timed tackle on an astro by a part time player and the risk factor.  He unfortunately doesn't have the best pace to be effective in this league. I'm just hoping this isn't going to be the end of his hearts career but he should be back in defence for the time being if he doesn't fit in our midfield.  I'm starting to think the manager doesn't want him.

This. I think he'll be a huge asset next season but players like Irving, Halliday and McEneff are much more what we need now. The way teams play against us, Halkett or Popescu effectively do Haring's usual job (or try to). I wouldn't be against us trying Haring at CB but it might make sense that he's being protected.

3 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Starting to think Robbie doesn’t fancy him.  Don’t think he fancies many of Levein’s signings to be honest.  

Or maybe Robbie does fancy him but Peter said he just wants to be friends. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not sure Haring is ever going to get back to the form we saw before. Not that it would matter with Snoreson because he has no idea what a good footballer looks like 

2 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

You could be right.  Are there not rumours of not impressing in training?

As someone else said the kiddie on pitches are a risk. Also some hatchet part timer could wipe him out. I know anyone can get injured at any time but with his history another one will finish him.

12 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Not sure I really agree mate. See this for Halliday, definitely. 9ffers nothing by way of impetus, is merely steady and will snap at heels in a tough game like OF or derby.

But Pete at his best can drive with the ball, he spreads the ball, is a good passer, generally positive with the ball and also gets in the box from open play. He's a sitting midfielder but can add to our attack too.

Dobt know if the big man just isn't ready, we're being cautious or Robbie doesn't fancy him (I totally fancy him.. Swoooon!) but an on form Pete Haring is a huge asset in any type of game imo.

A mix of him, McEneff, Irving and Walker. Not a lot of width there but a whole load of football.

14 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Starting to think Robbie doesn’t fancy him.  Don’t think he fancies many of Levein’s signings to be honest.  

If he doesn’t fancy harring but consistently fancies other underperformers then we are in great bother.

I think he is just not quite ready to come back yet.

People were moaning when he was brought back too early last time and then was off injured long term.

Haring is still class.  He just needs eased back into full games.  As crappy as we have been, we still don't "need" him to win the league.    Just let him take his time and come back when he 100% ready and the risk of injuring himself is as low as it can be.

He's our best player who's probably just as desperate to get back to full fitness and his best as the rest of us. 

Fortunately there is no rush.

I'm not convinced his original injury hasn't resurfaced, maybe to a lesser extent, and it looks to have slowed him down.  

There was a moment in the cup final where he went up for a header and when he landed his running style changed.  He was running in a really peculiar way back to defend. A couple of moments later he smashed an aimless kick 40 yards cross field to no-one, it looked to me like 'I'm knackered and can't run so this is getting launched'.  It was very unlike Peter Haring I recognise! 

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it was just a dead leg in the final. 

On 22/02/2021 at 07:49, JennytheJambo said:

I agree with what you are saying but there are a few that has not performed. If like the other reply and he is not performing in training, I don't blame him, his mood will be low, he must be thinking what is the point trying if I am sitting on the bench. I suppose we don't see what is going on behind closed doors but unfortunately have to witness the performances on match days. 

Agree with this. He's not the only player who's had a bad game. 

19 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Spot on again.

I think he is just out of the managers thinking rather than injured.

I wouldn't think he'd be on the bench every week if he's (a) not fit (b) not performing in training and (c) not fancied by the manager. Neilson likes Halliday and Irving, and has now brought in McEneff who offers something different from the other midfielders. I thought that of the games Haring has appeared in since his return his best performance was as the centre of a back 3 earlier in the season ( Think it was a Betfred Cup game) and he played a full 90 minutes. 

If he is fit and the manager would rather have Halliday than him In our midfield I’m changing my vote in the Robbie in/out/shake it all about poll.

If he’s being nursed back I’m not convinced he should be on the bench.

If a full pre-season gave us “big Pete” back next season I’d wrap him in cotton wool.

Out of favour and out of Robbie's reckoning.    Contract to 2022 so assume he will be used when he is fully fit or Halliday injured.

6 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I think he is just not quite ready to come back yet.

People were moaning when he was brought back too early last time and then was off injured long term.

Haring is still class.  He just needs eased back into full games.  As crappy as we have been, we still don't "need" him to win the league.    Just let him take his time and come back when he 100% ready and the risk of injuring himself is as low as it can be.

Actually agree with this. 

It does beg the question though of why he is taking up a subs shirt when Neilson has no intention of letting him on the pitch. 

The last three games our midfielders have been murder but still Haring sits there, arse stuck to the bench. 

If isn't going to be used no matter what he shouldn't really be on the bench imo. 

38 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Actually agree with this. 

It does beg the question though of why he is taking up a subs shirt when Neilson has no intention of letting him on the pitch. 

The last three games our midfielders have been murder but still Haring sits there, arse stuck to the bench. 

If isn't going to be used no matter what he shouldn't really be on the bench imo. 

I think he's there in the hope we get two or three ahead in the first half so that he can come on in he second to get some match practice.

22 hours ago, Drumjambo said:

Im not having that -  Smith has been as bad on at least 2 occasions this season and Halliday has been rank rotten plenty as for Irving at QOS Easily a candidate - of course that's my opinion - ffs Haring has not played competitively for a year and a half what's the others excuse - I would expect him to play at least a part next few after our recent performances/results

Haring vs Dundee. Okay he wasn’t great and got made to look foolish by a nutmeg. But that game was ran by a very classy, if ageing, footballer who did simple things brilliantly for an hour.  I’ve seen worse performances from Kingsley (who’s a bombscare defensively by the way) Walker Wighton Frear Roberts and worst of all by a MILE for me GMS (pick any game he’s played and it was worse than Haring that night. Berra and Kingsley selt the jerseys that night for me. How Haring can be singled out for that collective horror show is beyond me 

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Haring vs Dundee. Okay he wasn’t great and got made to look foolish by a nutmeg. But that game was ran by a very classy, if ageing, footballer who did simple things brilliantly for an hour.  I’ve seen worse performances from Kingsley (who’s a bombscare defensively by the way) Walker Wighton Frear Roberts and worst of all by a MILE for me GMS (pick any game he’s played and it was worse than Haring that night. Berra and Kingsley selt the jerseys that night for me. How Haring can be singled out for that collective horror show is beyond me 

Agreed. Mostly!

That night Dundee swarmed and we didn't get a second on the ball, but kept to plan A of our methodical passing which we couldn't do. Wighton was left totally isolated and our defence and midfield just kept getting pressured off the ball. For 45 mins, Dundee were superb but we were embarrassingly naive.

Robbie needed to put someone up the pitch with Wighton and go long, the players needed the intelligence to change what they were doing. Sometimes you just need to do something like that for 10 mins, change the pattern, get some territory. But we have one plan. 1-0 or 1-1 with 10 to play? Midfield deep, pass pass pass. Team unexpectedly playing a very effective high press? Midfield deep, pass pass pass...

To blame Pete for that is frankly dumb!

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think he's there in the hope we get two or three ahead in the first half so that he can come on in he second to get some match practice.

Think you may be onto something here..... I'm baffled as to why he's on the bench. Not fully fit?... then why doesn't he come on in the latter stages. Not fit enough?... why is he on the bench at all.

Think you're right!

On 22/02/2021 at 07:36, Barney bulge said:

Been thinking the same. 
surely he deserves a run in the team now after recent performances. A few games and let’s see if he can get near the level he was before.not as if dropping Halliday is going to have anyone complaining. 
only thing I can think of is management have noticed in training he’s not the player he was before his injury. Hopefully not. 

Haring and McEneff seem like the perfect combination to be honest. I’m with you, play him to get him fit. Even if it’s 60 minutes per match until fitter. Start him and bring on an Irving or Halliday later on if need be.

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed. Mostly!

That night Dundee swarmed and we didn't get a second on the ball, but kept to plan A of our methodical passing which we couldn't do. Wighton was left totally isolated and our defence and midfield just kept getting pressured off the ball. For 45 mins, Dundee were superb but we were embarrassingly naive.

Robbie needed to put someone up the pitch with Wighton and go long, the players needed the intelligence to change what they were doing. Sometimes you just need to do something like that for 10 mins, change the pattern, get some territory. But we have one plan. 1-0 or 1-1 with 10 to play? Midfield deep, pass pass pass. Team unexpectedly playing a very effective high press? Midfield deep, pass pass pass...

To blame Pete for that is frankly dumb!

I actually think Neilson believes we are good enough to play football out of a high press. That’s just mental. A wide outball high up and a striker who can take the long ball in and hold it long enough to get support. You beat the high press at this level by playing it long over the press and getting out for second balls. It’s not even hard and Stendel was cruelly exposed by other teams doing it to us. We’re not Man City FFS.

9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Haring and McEneff seem like the perfect combination to be honest. I’m with you, play him to get him fit. Even if it’s 60 minutes per match until fitter. Start him and bring on an Irving or Halliday later on if need be.

I'd play him, McEneff and Irving.

Salva, Mickey, Baggio type setup. Then one winger, 2 forwards.

Its an option anyway.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I actually think Neilson believes we are good enough to play football out of a high press. That’s just mental. A wide outball high up and a striker who can take the long ball in and hold it long enough to get support. You beat the high press at this level by playing it long over the press and getting out for second balls. It’s not even hard and Stendel was cruelly exposed by other teams doing it to us. We’re not Man City FFS.

Exactly. We don't do things urgently enough to beat it.

I'm not even saying we change how we play fundamentally, just be clever enough to read a game and do what needs done to get a foothold etc.

Good example on Sat there, but a very different type of game. Just kept doing the same thing. We were actually getting some joy when the ball went itln their box but we just kept playing it around and the only way Nandonwas involved was coming deep. We also had Naismith, a very good penalty box player, and picker up of scraps, hugging the right touchline, joining in with the neat triangles!!!!

34 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Exactly. We don't do things urgently enough to beat it.

I'm not even saying we change how we play fundamentally, just be clever enough to read a game and do what needs done to get a foothold etc.

Good example on Sat there, but a very different type of game. Just kept doing the same thing. We were actually getting some joy when the ball went itln their box but we just kept playing it around and the only way Nandonwas involved was coming deep. We also had Naismith, a very good penalty box player, and picker up of scraps, hugging the right touchline, joining in with the neat triangles!!!!

If Naismith is not played up front as an out and out striker there is no point playing him at all imo. 

He hasn't got the legs for any other position. 

Plus that is his position he has played in all his career. 

Why he is getting shoehorned into other positions is beyond me tbh. 

50 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Its an option anyway.

I think that is worth a shot. 

53 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Its an option anyway.

This, I feel there’s no balance in the midfield.

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I have seen enough of Haring in his time at the club to know he is a better player than Irving and Halliday.

When fully fit I agree. 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Its an option anyway.

Id agree 100% we are not playing as a team we are winning as individuals for me This 2 wingers thing sounds great in principle but half the time there's only 1 on the box  Up against 9 defenders - Its madness

Id go The same McEneff Haring Irving

Walker Gnandulliet Boyce

Wed score a barrel load

any 4 in defence as no one has really covered themselves in glory - Definitely needs addressed in the summer

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 22/02/2021 at 18:17, Drumjambo said:

Im not having that -  Smith has been as bad on at least 2 occasions this season and Halliday has been rank rotten plenty as for Irving at QOS Easily a candidate - of course that's my opinion - ffs Haring has not played competitively for a year and a half what's the others excuse - I would expect him to play at least a part next few after our recent performances/results

Every league performance by Roberts was worse.

How is he doing at Motherwell by the way? (that is actually a genuine question)

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

When fully fit I agree. 

That's the thing though. 

He is not going to get his fitness levels up warming the bench for 90 mins every week. 

21 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not sure Haring is ever going to get back to the form we saw before. Not that it would matter with Snoreson because he has no idea what a good footballer looks like 

At least your favoured Carlos Corberan can tell what a good goalkeeper looks like....oh wait!