Watching Bloodlands? Jambo reference

jambovambo

Watched this and enjoyed it. James Nesbitt being himself as polis in Norn Irn. 

Police car gets firebombed. 

Perpetrator shouts “Jambo barstewards” ... sort of. 

Didn’t notice it at the time but chum pointed out that’s what the subtitles said.

I’ve checked and he’s right. 

No need. 

We got a name check on pointless last week too. Name Scottish and English teams with an L in their name. Only scored one point for our Sunday name.

45 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

We got a name check on pointless last week too. Name Scottish and English teams with an L in their name. Only scored one point for our Sunday name.

Down to what level of team was it. Potentially loads of pointless answers unless they cut it off at a decent level

of league

Top 4 divisions in both countries. Alloa Athletic, Dunfermline Athletic, Albion Rovers, Blackpool, Carlisle, Salford all pointless from memory. Guy answered Hartlepool and got 100 as in the National League

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Pointless is pointless too especially with that dick in charge.

Seeing it was James Nesbitt they should have shouted "Glory hunting barsteward". One of many from over there who claim to support Man United. If only life was meant to be that easy eh. 

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The implication being that the copper was a hearts fan 🤷‍♂️

It was a crossover episode with Filth.

9 hours ago, jambovambo said:

Didn’t notice it at the time but chum pointed out that’s what the subtitles said.

No need. 

Take it the guy that firebombed the polis car was an Ayr Utd fan?

A totally gratuitous mention, I thought .. however ... imagine the claryficayshun required if “Hun”, “Rangers” or “Sevco” had been used instead. 

Nesbitt was in a drama filmed in Sighthill years ago, called One Quite Ugly Morning.

Funnily, he appeared in Sighthill again for the film Outcast.  

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Nesbitt was in a drama filmed in Sighthill years ago, called One Quite Ugly Morning.

Close, it was Quite Ugly One Morning, an adaptation of Chris Brookmyre's first novel. The book is brilliant, the adaptation was rank rotten. Jack Parlabane isn't fecking Irish for a start.

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Close, it was Quite Ugly One Morning, an adaptation of Chris Brookmyre's first novel. The book is brilliant, the adaptation was rank rotten. Jack Parlabane isn't fecking Irish for a start.

In much the same was that the Rebus TV adaptions are very poor. They frequently reference Rebus as supporting the team from Leith, but nowhere in any of the books is this even hinted at. 

14 minutes ago, henryheart said:

In much the same was that the Rebus TV adaptions are very poor. They frequently reference Rebus as supporting the team from Leith, but nowhere in any of the books is this even hinted at. 

Ach weel, Ken Stott is a Hearts fan so there's always that. Pretty sure Rankin said that Rebus was a Raith Rovers supporter, although not in the books.

15 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Ian Rankin himself told me that Rebus was deliberately left neutral where football was concerned. Siobhan was the Hibby in the books as you will know. 

Probably my favourite famous fare in the taxi, Rankin himself has (or had in 2007) season tickets for Raith Rovers and Hearts. No idea if the burnt bridges of last summer has affected this?

39 minutes ago, henryheart said:

In the book of short stories, Beggars Banquet, about Rebus, one of the stories refers to him flowing Hearts in the very early 60s. He is a Hearts supporter in the books.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 hours ago, henryheart said:

As Ken Stott was the first 'Hibs supporting Rebus' I've always assumed it was Ken, himself, who decided to stretch his acting credentials to the extreme by playing a Hibs supporter. I can't think of any other reason for this change to be made, other than to make Rebus an 'even more disappointed in life' type character.

11 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

As Ken Stott was the first 'Hibs supporting Rebus' I've always assumed it was Ken, himself, who decided to stretch his acting credentials to the extreme by playing a Hibs supporter. I can't think of any other reason for this change to be made, other than to make Rebus an 'even more disappointed in life' type character.

:gok:

:greatpost:

19 hours ago, jambovambo said:

No need. 

Disappointed in the lack of outcry at the reference to “Jambo *******s” ..
I know why the scriptwriters shied away from “Hun/Proddy/Sevco *******s” ... but ...

9 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I remember he was staying in the Point Hotel in Bread Street. He used to sit in the Blue Blazer getting slowly but surely pished and try to make pals with anyone who’d speak to him. 

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, henryheart said:

Wasn't the producer a Hibbie?

Leaving aside the team identity,  worshipping the Famous Five and running onto the ER pitch in a Hibs top was ludicrously out of character.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Leaving aside the team identity,  worshipping the Famous Five and running onto the ER pitch in a Hibs top was ludicrously out of character.

Ian Rankin thought the script writers were having fun with Ken Stott. I’m not sure if there was any reference to football at all in John Hannah’s Rebus portrayals. 

I’ll need to read the short stories that intimates Rebus was a Jambo. 👍

baron of ness
8 minutes ago, poultry said:

Hearts fans in an episode of "take the high road" once. Anyone remember ?

Yes, think they were fighting in a pub or something. 

James Nesbitt seems to play himself in everything. I dunno if it’s his accent or what.

I think he once played Jekyll & Hyde and it was hard to spot the difference 

I quite enjoyed Bloodlands though

56 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I remember he was staying in the Point Hotel in Bread Street. He used to sit in the Blue Blazer getting slowly but surely pished and try to make pals with anyone who’d speak to him. 

Haha 👍🏻

1 hour ago, poultry said:

Hearts fans in an episode of "take the high road" once. Anyone remember ?

1 hour ago, baron of ness said:

Was that when 'The Gorgie Boys' gave 'The Glendarroch Massive' a doing? 😁

Shanks said no

Was it not something to do with the highland show or similar, drunken behaviour?

baron of ness
25 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Was that when 'The Gorgie Boys' gave 'The Glendarroch Massive' a doing? 😁

Think so, something like that. 

I think Mercer complained to the STV at the time.

Fort Vallance
3 hours ago, jambovambo said:

Disappointed in the lack of outcry at the reference to “Jambo *******s” ..
I know why the scriptwriters shied away from “Hun/Proddy/Sevco *******s” ... but ...

I just assumed it was some other connotation that I'd missed. Rather than relating to us.

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Ian Rankin thought the script writers were having fun with Ken Stott. I’m not sure if there was any reference to football at all in John Hannah’s Rebus portrayals. 

I’ll need to read the short stories that intimates Rebus was a Jambo. 👍

John Hannah as Rebus was simply terrible casting.    He's great for narrating wildlife programs, but not  an earthy old-style cop ?

Ye if I remember correctly Inverdaroch stood up to them and they backed down 😂 think it was filmed in the Haymarket bar.

On 21/02/2021 at 22:51, jambovambo said:

No need. 

Don't give the plane nutters any ideas!

Mond you, is Buckfast inflammable?

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

John Hannah as Rebus was simply terrible casting.    He's great for narrating wildlife programs, but not  an earthy old-style cop ?

Pretty sure I recall that Hannah invested a hefty sum to ensure the rights, and subsequently his casting in the lead role, for the initial TV version. All I can remember is he was meant to be in Aberdeen and they used Argyll House on Lady Lawson Street, which had just won the ugliest building in Scotland or some such derisory award. Must be grim up north if they used that building as a backdrop! 

12 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Ach weel, Ken Stott is a Hearts fan so there's always that. Pretty sure Rankin said that Rebus was a Raith Rovers supporter, although not in the books.

Hi I read these books and there is a reference in one of the short stories to Rebus watching Hearts. Really annoyed me that they made him a Hibs fan. 

11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

In the book of short stories, Beggars Banquet, about Rebus, one of the stories refers to him flowing Hearts in the very early 60s. He is a Hearts supporter in the books.

Sorry John, I didn't see you post. You beat me to it. 

Maybe the petrol bomb thrower was Kenyan or Ugandan?

"Hello barstewards".

Makes about as much sense.

Writer probably doing a Charlie Nicholas/Davy Provan: too scared to mention, criticise or refer to Rangers in any negative, sectarian way so pick on Hearts instead.

Very odd.

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

IIRC he had the consolation of pumping Sharon Small in the centre circle in that episode.

33 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Hi I read these books and there is a reference in one of the short stories to Rebus watching Hearts. Really annoyed me that they made him a Hibs fan. 

I think that was down to Daniel Boyle, one of the writers.

21 hours ago, JWL said:

Well said John Winston

pretty sure the "jambos basaaaaaaaas"  thing goes back to polis cars being red n white, coloured like a jam sandwich...jambo's...surely nowt to so with us lovely Hearts Fans !

Colonel Kurtz

Another example would be from the Vice

Kenyan Prostitute ...    Jambo Inspector

Ken Stotts character.....Yes

You would also see Mick Mcgahey everytime he was on the telly during the first miners strike wearing a maroon scarf

Cabin Hearts

jamboinglasgow

surprised no mention here of Succession having a subplot for a couple of episodes where one of the main characters buys Hearts to get his Dad's approval only to find out that his Dad is a Hibs fan. Then he goes to training and gives a talk which ends "go fast, go hard, you lovely B******ds."

18 hours ago, superjack said:

Quite enjoyed the programme, although I'm wondering why jambo *******s was shouted.

Obviously Hibs have a N Ireland Branch.