Our league run-in ........

Lone Striker

With a grateful nod to @Footballfirst  for  a "potential points " version of the league table a few weeks ago - and bearing in mind that our goal machine seems to have broken down recently -  here's the current PPG figures for the the top 8 teams, and my "worst case" estimates for everyone's PPG for the remainder of the league (27 games).   

By worst case, I mean an assumption (for the remaining games) that  our PPG goes DOWN  significantly while our challengers PPG goes UP significantly.   This is a worst case where we can still sneak the title  IF  our PPG over the remaining games is at most 0.8 less than our challengers.   If  Hearts drop to anything like 1.4 PPG for the final 10 matches,  the "Robbie oot" brigade will probably be hiring a plane.

<----

CURRENT

--->

<---

REMAINING

----->

Played

PPG

Games

Estimate

PPG

Estimate Points

Final Points

Hearts

Dunfermline

Raith Rovers

Queen of  South

Dundee

Arbroath

Greenock Morton

Inverness CT

One bit of good news is that all 4 of our challengers cannot achieve the same spectacular improvement due to the delayed matches involving them all -

TUESDAY 23RD FEBRUARY
Dundee          v     Ayr United
Inverness CT v   Alloa Athletic

TUESDAY 2ND MARCH
Dundee          v    Inverness CT

TUESDAY 9TH MARCH
Inverness CT      v   Morton
Raith Rovers       v   Ayr United

WEDNESDAY 10TH MARCH
Dunfermline     v  Dundee

Just now, 22games nro said:

After the last 2 games ,we’d better not take anything for granted 😔

We should never take anything for granted. 

I didnt really understand any of that but I know that if we don't win this league in a canter I will drink myself to oblivion.

Surely the day will dawn soon when we remind the scottish football world of who we are.

3 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Good post, what did you do to come to the 1.4PPG as a reasonable absolute worst case scenario? 

Just tried a few PPG numbers for us to see  how bad we can afford to be if the likes of Dunfermline & Raith improve to the level of PPG we've been at over our 17 games.    These last 2 draws suggest that our PPG is likely to be less than 2 for the remaining games. How much less is anyone's guess.   🙄

26 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I didnt really understand any of that but I know that if we don't win this league in a canter I will drink myself to oblivion.

Surely the day will dawn soon when we remind the scottish football world of who we are.

Golly gosh, Doug!

Don't use the word ‘canter’ on here.  Not since last night anyway, you’ll get yourself into all sorts of trouble from the JKB ‘experts’.

Please behave, toe the party line and nod approvingly when appropriate.

33 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Don't think they'll be too worried. 

15 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

At current PPG rates, looked like we need 46 points......but my maths may be wrong 

46 looks a wee bitty low.

Somewhere between 49 and 52 should do the job.   

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

The away games worry me 

Would actually be surprised if we come away with three points from Inverness on Friday after our last two performances. 

14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Also the challengers will all take points off each other

Indeed.  Dundee have still to play postponed games against ICT and Dunfermline.

11 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

At current PPG rates, looked like we need 46 points......but my maths may be wrong 

If everyone continues with the same PPG as they have at the moment, then only hindsight at the end of the season could say that we won it when we reached 46 points.   In reality, the "running PPG" for each team will change every  week.  I sincerely hope we don't end up just limping over the line with a point or 2 to spare.

15 points ahead of second placed team is my prediction for final placings. 

Re other thread on Robbie poll, if I’m close to being correct it will be a world first if we terminate his contract. 

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Re other thread on Robbie poll, if I’m close to being correct it will be a world first if we terminate his contract. 

Nonsense.  To the 2nd part.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

We were 2 penalties from doing just that. 😭

11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

There is no way we will win this bloody league by 15 points.

McGlynn The Money
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

46 looks a wee bitty low.

Somewhere between 49 and 52 should do the job.   

Would you take 47?

King Of The Cat Cafe
33 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

The away games worry me 

I have this vision of going to Raith for the last game and needing to win (or at least not lose).

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

At the start of the season I said we'd get about 65 points at the start the season, and the closest to us woukd be lucky to get 50.

We might be nearer 60 and our challengers nearer 45 now. 

McGlynn The Money
Just now, Morgan said:

I certainly would, Mr McGlynn.  👍😀

Good man! I could have gone to 48 at a push but happy to close on 47.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

There is no way we will win this bloody league by 15 points.

5 wins, not guaranteed but hardly out of the question. 

Dunfermline away would be a 6 point swing either way depending on the result. 

Just now, McGlynn The Money said:

Good man! I could have gone to 48 at a push but happy to close on 47.

We’ll do this.

Then, we’ll change about 75% of the team.

39 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Golly gosh, Doug!

Don't use the word ‘canter’ on here.  Not since last night anyway, you’ll get yourself into all sorts of trouble from the JKB ‘experts’.

Please behave, toe the party line and nod approvingly when appropriate.

🤣

@Lone Striker assuming everything remains steady we will be what 60/61 and Dunfy in Second on 45 , correct? Thats having dropped from 2.4ppg to 2.24ppg after two draws. So as of now we are comfortably doing what we need too. I appreciate this. Its probably the best way assess how we are performing results wise in the league.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

5 wins, not guaranteed but hardly out of the question. 

Dunfermline away would be a 6 point swing either way depending on the result. 

Imagine Hearts worrying about a result at Dunfermline.  :vrface:

You're right though, T.  👍

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

🤣

@Lone Striker assuming everything remains steady we will be what 60/61 and Dunfy in Second on 45 , correct? Thats having dropped from 2.4ppg to 2.24ppg after two draws. So as of now we are comfortably doing what we need too. I appreciate this. Its probably the best way assess how we are performing results wise in the league.

And, good evening to you,sir!

👍

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I'm not too worried, it is Hearts tho so if there is a difficult way to do something we'll dig it up. 

Getting beat at Inverness and Dunfermline beating us when we play would make things interesting. 

20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Mauricio Sarri

Del Bosque

Capello

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

🤣

Yes. correct -  but ONLY  IF the running PPG stays the same for us and Dunfermline.  But it won't - it's constantly changing, sometimes up and sometimes down.   The table is just trying to illustrate what we'd need to do in the final 10 games if the likes of Dunfermline suddenly make a big improvement - in other words, an alarming slump by us and an extreme improvement by them.  👍

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Mauricio Sarri

Del Bosque

Capello

I’ll raise you Laurent Blanc but I’m sure there will be many more.  Of course we’re just referring to managers winning titles in their top leagues not some tin pot 2nd tier or worse (in the case of Blanc he got sacked after PSG won the league by 31 points). 

3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes. correct -  but ONLY  IF the running PPG stays the same for us and Dunfermline.  But it won't - it's constantly changing, sometimes up and sometimes down.   The table is just trying to illustrate what we'd need to do in the final 10 games if the likes of Dunfermline suddenly make a big improvement - in other words, an alarming slump by us and an extreme improvement by them.  👍

Yh i got that pal , appreciate it. I dont think our ppg would drop even close to that. I think a fair few of us would be happy with 55 points (see that as a decent season considering) and comfortable that no one else would get close to that. Prob 10/12 clear. 

alwaysthereinspirit

If we take 15 points from our last 30 available. Raith would then need to take 30 from 36. Dunfermline 27 from 33. Dundee 34 from 39. Promotion was always the goal this season. I think that’s right. I’ve had a few. Wife’s birthday.

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yh i got that pal , appreciate it. I dont think our ppg would drop even close to that. I think a fair few of us would be happy with 55 points (see that as a decent season considering) and comfortable that no one else would get close to that. Prob 10/12 clear. 

Yep - I'd be happy with mid-50s too.  👍   5 wins and 2 draws would get us to 55.

11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’ll raise you Laurent Blanc but I’m sure there will be many more.  Of course we’re just referring to managers winning titles in their top leagues not some tin pot 2nd tier or worse (in the case of Blanc he got sacked after PSG won the league by 31 points). 

Bobby Robson sacked by Sporting whilst top of the league.

Rangers sacked Scot Symon when he was top of the league 

We could go on all night and not even mention the name Burley

Edited by JimmyCant

11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep - I'd be happy with mid-50s too.  👍   5 wins and 2 draws would get us to 55.

5 wins. Wow that's optimistic. 

3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

5 wins. Wow that's optimistic. 

I hope you are being sarcastic? As in 5 is a poor return

Edited by sadj

23 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

If we take 15 points from our last 30 available. Raith would then need to take 30 from 36. Dunfermline 27 from 33. Dundee 34 from 39. Promotion was always the goal this season. I think that’s right. I’ve had a few. Wife’s birthday.

Sounds like a good excuse to me. I used this one the other day

EB14C2F2-94C2-49C3-8941-C02951DA7B53.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’ll worry about the game in Inverness first!

alwaysthereinspirit
21 minutes ago, sadj said:

Sounds like a good excuse to me. I used this one the other day

EB14C2F2-94C2-49C3-8941-C02951DA7B53.jpeg

I don’t want to encourage.

Camel.

7 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I don’t want to encourage.

Camel.

I drink very rarely to be fair im almost like Tom Brady snifter and im off me tits 🤣 Camel is the correct answer tho....