Robbie poll February 2021 (not the latest poll)

GinRummy

Robbie poll  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. Should he go.

This poll is closed to new votes

45 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Or when we replace him it isn't with the likes cathro, CL or Stendel who all done a good deal worse than Robbie in his two and a bit seasons. 

But you openly backed Levein mate Levein got longer than the two of them, Stendel got 4 months to change a sinking ship, Cathro was never his own man with Levein in the background, who was Robbie's mentor?. 

So is it any wonder fans want change, Robbie's tactics are very similar to Levein surely you can admit that?. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• mitch41

• NANOJAMBO

24 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

But you openly backed Levein mate Levein got longer than the two of them, Stendel got 4 months to change a sinking ship, Cathro was never his own man with Levein in the background, who was Robbie's mentor?. 

So is it any wonder fans want change, Robbie's tactics are very similar to Levein surely you can admit that?. 

Exactly Bongo! 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Fair enough man.  We were playing absolutely rubbish that season, always looked like finishing mid-table under Neilson, because he signed Conor Sammon and then never played him.

After Cathro was appointed nothing really changed, and we just kept plodding along like we did before.  If Cathro had stayed we'd probably have finished mid-table like we did under him that first season.

It definitely wasn't the case that Cathro only finished mid-table due to the fact he took after Neilson had left him in 2nd place.

After all, the other teams had games in hand.  And we had Conor Sammon who was shite and wasn't played.

Er, things changed dramatically after Cathro came in.

Robbie: LDWWWLDWWLDDDWWD (that last D was Robbie’s team but a caretaker manager)

Cathro: LDLWLLWWDLLWLLLWDDLLLL

Robbie in his entire what nearly 3 seasons as a Hearts manager now has never had a losing streak anywhere near as long as Levein, Cathro and Stendel had. And he's put together several good winning streaks.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Er, things changed dramatically after Cathro came in.

Robbie: LDWWWLDWWLDDDWWD (that last D was Robbie’s team but a caretaker manager)

Cathro: LDLWLLWWDLLWLLLWDDLLLL

Robbie in his entire what nearly 3 seasons as a Hearts manager now has never had a losing streak anywhere near as long as Levein, Cathro and Stendel had. And he's put together several good winning streaks.

Yeah I know.  I just gave up with the poster I was responding to (who was claiming we were always finishing mid-table that season because we'd signed Sammon) by stating his point in full to show him how ridiculous it was.

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Hope you are right. On another point, it really gets me when fans say they need a full pre season. They are professional athletes and fitness ( even during down time ) should not be a problem

Agreed though I think last year was difficult for them particularly those out of contract. Football finished early March and in Halliday case for instance he didn’t get a contract offer until September. Last summer during lockdown was a tough time to stay fit for a pro sportsperson. Much higher injury incidences when football restarted. Same with rugby. 

Guest ToqueJambo
47 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They're not though. The only time we can say for sure that Levein had his own team and had had time to work with them over summer was the start of 18/19. We played pretty attacking football mostly in a 4-4-2, occasionally tinkering with a back 3 but always two strikers up top as I remember it. Lee and Haring anchored central midfield. We played various payers wide in a midfield 4 as he didn't really sign effective wide players.

This is not at all similar to the way Robbie sets the team up. He wants width and balls into the box and has mostly gone one up. Levein only went 1 up when all the strikers got injured and he was left with McLean. If Levein managed this squad, we'd probably be lining up as something like:

Gordon

Smith, Halkett, berra, Kingsley

Walker, Haring/Halliday, Mcenuff/Irving, Naismith

Boyle, Gnanduilett 

I kind of wish we would line up like that.

3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's also reasonable to ask if the players are doing a good job. The manager is entitled to expect more than 5 of 26 attempts on goal to be on target.

Teams should be allowed to get though difficult periods without this kind of childish over-reaction.

Yep, on Saturday not sure anyone can realistically blame the manager for some of the misses eg Popescu, Halkett. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, on Saturday not sure anyone can realistically blame the manager for some of the misses eg Popescu, Halkett. 

Post-injury Halkett has gone from a reliable 5 goals a season CB to not being able to hit the target at all.

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

It's worth noting that 99% of Hearts supporters now ignore this cesspit of negativity and avoid it like the plague. 

Yes, just the 1% nutters on here nowadays. Same 100/200 posting on here every day/week etc. 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Post-injury Halkett has gone from a reliable 5 goals a season CB to not being able to hit the target at all.

Yep he has been missing a sitter a game recently. Also bottled taking a pen at hampden. 

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Perhaps the majority just believe people should be given time and that changing manager, as we've seen, can be even more damaging. In the short-term we needed a manager to get us promoted at the first attempt and put Hibs out of the cup. Neilson is doing the job he was given (unlike the previous 3 managers) and there is zero evidence another manager could have come in and done any better at breaking down these anti-football teams while working within the constraints brought about by the pandemic.

Good post. 

3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

:lol:

Kickback doesn’t represent the general Hearts support. If we were allowed into stadiums the booing would be deafening.

The performances wouldn’t be the same though if the stadia were full 

been here before
3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

:lol:

Kickback doesn’t represent the general Hearts support. If we were allowed into stadiums the booing would be deafening.

Dangerous.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I backed Stendel as well. 

I back the Hearts manager at the time in general, especially early doors. 

Shouting, swearing and calling Hearts managers silly  names will change nothing. 

My choice is to back the team and mangager, in this case a manager who had some success last time with us and who has us up and running again. 

Your choice is to go compare Robbie to CL and go on about Stendel. 

Fair doos. 

Guest ToqueJambo
28 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Yeah I know.  I just gave up with the poster I was responding to (who was claiming we were always finishing mid-table that season because we'd signed Sammon) by stating his point in full to show him how ridiculous it was.

He thought we were heading for mid-table under Robbie that season when we were in fact challenging for 2nd on a 5 game unbeaten run, above Rangers and Aberdeen when he left and 11 pts clear of 6th place? Says it all really. And that's with Sammon in the squad - Robbie must be a GENIUS! (Robbie was actually using Sammon as a decent impact sub when he left.)

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot

About 18% of people have entrenched themselves that much that the only time the get joy is when Robbie fails, which mean's Hearts have failed. 

When that happens they get to say they told you so to other Hearts supporters and rip into the players and team. 

When we win, they are either silent or far quieter as they can't bang thier drum. 

What a depressing way to "support" your team. 

2 penalties away from shutting them up forever  as well. 😭

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He thought we were heading for mid-table under Robbie that season when we were in fact challenging for 2nd on a 5 game unbeaten run, above Rangers and Aberdeen when he left and 11 pts clear of 6th place? Says it all really. And that's with Sammon in the squad - Robbie must be a GENIUS! (Robbie was actually using Sammon as a decent impact sub when he left.)

Yeah I don't get it.  Neilson might well be shite this time round, we might be struggling in 9th next season and all the naysayers might be right, but there is a bizarre need for some to rewrite history.  Normally with the acknowledgement Neilson did well in his first season.

I also got pulled up for saying Neilson had "barely lost" that season before he left because he'd lost 3 in the league and apparently "drawn loads" (he'd drawn 5).  

I asked if Neilson had drawn loads then did that mean that Cathro had won loads (he won 5), but I am still waiting for an answer.

32 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They're not though. The only time we can say for sure that Levein had his own team and had had time to work with them over summer was the start of 18/19. We played pretty attacking football mostly in a 4-4-2, occasionally tinkering with a back 3 but always two strikers up top as I remember it. Lee and Haring anchored central midfield. We played various payers wide in a midfield 4 as he didn't really sign effective wide players.

This is not at all similar to the way Robbie sets the team up. He wants width and balls into the box and has mostly gone one up. Levein only went 1 up when all the strikers got injured and he was left with McLean. If Levein managed this squad, we'd probably be lining up as something like:

Gordon

Boyle, Gnanduilett 

Not Berra but something like that would do me. One proper winger max and one holding mid, with the other pushing forward and two up front. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Yeah I don't get it.  Neilson might well be shite this time round, we might be struggling in 9th next season and all the naysayers might be right, but there is a bizarre need for some to rewrite history.  Normally with the acknowledgement Neilson did well in his first season.

I also got pulled up for saying Neilson had "barely lost" that season before he left because he'd lost 3 in the league and apparently "drawn loads" (he'd drawn 5).  

I asked if Neilson had drawn loads then did that mean that Cathro had won loads (he won 5), but I am still waiting for an answer.

The thing is we are making hard work of this but then so did Rangers, Hibs and D Utd in recent years.

So did Alex MacDonald, who would never have survived to do what he eventually did if fans behaved the way they do today. For all the problems Hearts had back then before Doddie took over, Doddie had 3 of our best ever youngsters to call on, plus the experience and quality of the likes of Jardine, MacDonald, Johnston and Doddie himself, plus a player of the quality of Willie Pettigrew. And he still didn't win the old First Division. The team that finished 5th after promotion was almost the same as the one that finished 2nd in the First Division.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Gordon

Boyle, Gnanduilett 

That team has no width at all. So, Levein would not seek to feed crosses to Gnando?

Using two wide players as Neilson is attempting needs more than just putting them on the pitch. it takes time to integrate them; how they interact with their team mates, esp full backs and midfielders to create chances/breach defences. Leaving Boyce isolated and employing two wide players is insane when you have not even mastered using one wide player effectively. Start with one wide player, reinforce midfield with forward thinking player x 1, bringing Irving and McEnuff together

Edited by Riccarton3

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

That team had no width at all. So, Levein would not seek to feed crosses to Gnando?

Using two wide players as Neilson is attempting needs more than just putting them on the pitch. it takes time to integrate them; how they interact with their team mates, esp full backs and midfielders to create chances/breach defences. Leaving Boyce isolated and employing two wide players is insane when you have not even mastered using one wide player effectively. Start with one, reinforce midfield with forward thinking player x 1

Wingers aren't the only players who can cross a ball. Levein would expect that from the FBs as well. I just think that's how he'd line us up right now, in contrast to what Neilson is doing.

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Wingers aren't the only players who can cross a ball. Levein would expect that from the FBs as well. I just think that's how he'd line us up right now, in contrast to what Neilson is doing.

So, both of them polar extremes when a lot of us see a balance between dominating the middle of the park AND achieving width esp with new players.

Just throw two new wingers in a 4231 . What could go wrong? 

No understanding for starters

Edited by Riccarton3

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

So, both of them polar extremes when a lot of us see a balance between dominating the middle of the park AND achieving width esp with new players.

Just throw two new wingers in a 4231 . What could go wrong? 

No understanding for starters

I think Levein always liked having one speedy winger, like a Mitchell or Mulraney. Neilson definitely wants two, switching wings like when he had Walker and Nicolson. He got unlucky with Ginnelly's injury but GMS has been a massive disappointment, probably to Neilson too. I like the way Neilson wants to play and hopefully things will click into place.

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think Levein always liked having one speedy winger, like a Mitchell or Mulraney. Neilson definitely wants two, switching wings like when he had Walker and Nicolson. He got unlucky with Ginnelly's injury but GMS has been a massive disappointment, probably to Neilson too. I like the way Neilson wants to play and hopefully things will click into place.

It worries me that a coach is willing to experiment with new players, esp wingers/wide players, instead of firstly getting it sorted on the training field. Whilst integrating wingers on the training field he should imo reinforce the middle. It seems obvious the wide players are not properly integrated. 

Agree re Ginnelly. Extremely unlucky there. Would make a big difference esp as all other wide players have   less  quality from the off. Hence why he could make an immediate impact

Edited by Riccarton3

The Old Tolbooth
7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep but the internationals we have are not all playing regularly, far from it. 
Gordon is but goalkeeper not really necaessary in our league

Berra past it and not playing

Naismith past it and a bit part player

Souttar injured all season

Mackay Steven’s trying to get fitness back after holiday camp in US

That leaves Smith, Kingsley and Boyce. Fullbacks have been steady all season so far. Boyce is or nearly double figures in terms of goals. 

We will have a very different squad next season and would expect more internationalists to come in during the summer. There’s probably 8 or 9 of current first team squad who are deemed surplus to requirements. 

Still luxuries in this league that no one else has, and yet we’re making very heavy weather of it, my one hope is that there’s enough dross (Damour, Zlamal etc) off the wage bill on the summer to allow some proper quality to come in, and we get Ginelly back firing on all cylinders. 

I didn't particularly want him back, and it's not exactly been a thrill ride, but he inherited a mess and he's going to comfortably achieve his only goal for the season.

Next season will be when to judge progress - I personally expect it to be functional,but we'll see.

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Fans?....you mean the usual toxic tiny minority of a few hundred that post endless boring anti-Hearts stuff on here. 

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

. Levein only went 1 up when all the strikers got injured and he was left with McLean. If Levein managed this squad, we'd probably be lining up as something like:

Not so - at home, against Livi a while back (one of the few games I attended under his tenure) , he played McLean up top on his own (who achieved the square root of zero) and stuck Naismith out wide on the left  left (who also achieved the sq root of zero that day). 

10 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I think its the same with players also. I am fed up when a player leaves and maybe a season or two pass and their names get mentioned by fans

( What about Ross Callachan he could do a job now ??????? ) He was pish the first time he won't improve us after 10 no bad games for Hamilton. Don't get me wrong their has been players who have left and came back years later and done well Gordon, Berra ( first season back ) Rudi, Robbo, Steveo . Its just not for me . Walker left with a bad attitude he never got his Rangers move and he went of to Wigan 24 months later we are singing him. We were looking at Nicholson in the summer also .

My question is how often has a manager left a club, returned, and done as well or better the second time around?

Guest ToqueJambo
41 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not so - at home, against Livi a while back (one of the few games I attended under his tenure) , he played McLean up top on his own (who achieved the square root of zero) and stuck Naismith out wide on the left  left (who also achieved the sq root of zero that day). 

Wighton and McLean played up front against Livvy didn't they, after Uche got injured? I thought he mostly played 2 up front until injuries decimated the squad and we had to play Clare up front on his own against Hibs, and still got a draw. I was talking about the excellent start of the 18/19 season before all the injuries, in case you meant a later game. Point is Levein and Neilson have different approaches.

Edited by ToqueJambo

51 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

My question is how often has a manager left a club, returned, and done as well or better the second time around?

Between 1356 and 2674 times depending on whether/how you take into account caretaker appointments, player-managerial stints, and how the various auditors assessed the definition of "as well".

I believe they looked at all professional football worldwide post WW2.

Not sure about the stats on "better".

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I see Neilson's appointment this time around as a JJ 2010 style appointment. Steady the ship after a series of poor appointments, build a team closer to what a Hearts team should be, then take it from there. JJ was nowhere near as good as he was first time around, and some of his signings were terrible, but he did what we needed him to do in not exactly easy circumstances. With more time maybe he could have done better. Robbie's no different, and we have a new SD as well. Give them a chance FFS.

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Never fails, that one :rofl:

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I don’t think it’s really relevant whether it’s a 2nd or 3rd time when it comes to managers. 

Some managers seem to return time and time again and, unlike players, they don’t slow down as they get older. 

I think (!?)

12 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

About 18% of people have entrenched themselves that much that the only time the get joy is when Robbie fails, which mean's Hearts have failed. 

When that happens they get to say they told you so to other Hearts supporters and rip into the players and team. 

When we win, they are either silent or far quieter as they can't bang thier drum. 

What a depressing way to "support" your team. 

2 penalties away from shutting them up forever  as well. 😭

It’s not really 18% of the Hearts support though, it’s roughly 100 posters, most likely the ones who dominate this forum. 

Governor Tarkin
16 hours ago, jambonian said:

It's not a dislike.  It's the way the team plays, and it's a natural concern for next season. I don't know why some folk can't see that how we play is Neilson's way and the same style will be prevalent in the Premier next season, no matter who we sign.

Your last paragraph...in 2016 and with the signings Neilson made before he left (Sammon in particular), we were never going to finish third that season anyway. I remember pre-season saying that if we sign that huddy Sammon we'll finish around mid-table as he's hopeless. I was fuming when he did sign. Sammon and the other signings finished exactly where i, and others thought we would, mid-table. I don't remember any massive outcry when Robbie left to go to MK Dons either as a lot of games at Tynie were met with boos at full-time. The reaction when he left was "who will the new manager be?" Not "oh no, Robbie's left!" If Levein had done a proper job of getting a manager in then we'd all have been going  "Robbie who!?" but he didn't. He played with the club like a toy and introduced Cathro. The downturn was already starting under Neilson going by fans reaction through performances and has continued since 2016 under Cathro and beyond.

So as you can see, it's not a dislike of Robbie the person, it's the tactics and style of football he forces on us.

Good post.

the two wingers thing is really stupid with the guys who we have out there, they are only active when we are going forward, when we are defending they are missing and other teams just walk through our midfield with little or no resistance. we are outnumbered in most games in the midfield because we have two passengers, that is Neilson fault.

20 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think you meant "torpid" ? 😄

I'd say , as with the CL "era" , there's a problem with the coaching . This isn't the RN of last time : double training sessions and grinding teams down through sheer will to win. This is an ageing team of seasoned pros with all the baggage that brings. 

There's also a problem with Naismith : Neilson doesn't know what to do with him , he's got years left on his contract and is a square peg in the round hole of RNs rigid inflexibility. 

I did.  My bad. 😄

I like the way Robbie sets out the team. 

I like the way the team creates loads of chances in most games.

I like the fact we win most weeks. 

20 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

i get the criticism of neilson, I do. But I absolutely hate it when inaccuracies are used to justify that criticism.

at no point did Morton dictate the game or the pace of the game. They did have a spell which lasted for a couple of minutes when they swung in a couple of decent balls.

btw - I agree hearts pace and tempo was no where near acceptable, we played walking football for long spell.. but that’s not the same as saying Morton dictated it.. in my opinion- that never happened 

By dictating the pace of the game, I'm suggesting Morton were successful in slowing it down.  If it wasn't Morton that did that, then it was us.  Which would be worse.

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

I like the way Robbie sets out the team. 

I like the way the team creates loads of chances in most games.

I like the fact we win most weeks. 

In that case you’ll be ****ing :robbo: when we finally have a well managed, motivated team sent out to leave everything on the pitch.  

4 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

In that case you’ll be ****ing :robbo: when we finally have a well managed, motivated team sent out to leave everything on the pitch.  

I'm happy to watch any Hearts team,  especially in the current circumstances. 

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'm happy to watch any Hearts team,  especially in the current circumstances. 

Hopefully one day you’ll be rewarded for your unconditional support. 

Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

Hopefully one day you’ll be rewarded for your unconditional support. 

I feel rewarded every time I take my seat at Tynecastle. 

You'd think these current restrictions would show how lucky we all are to have a team to support and something to look forward to.

The Grim Reaper
Just now, Bull's-eye said:

I feel rewarded every time I take my seat at Tynecastle. 

You'd think these current restrictions would show how lucky we all are to have a team to support and something to look forward to.

The same could be said for supporters of every club in the UK. 

Doesn’t mean standards should be allowed to drop as low as they have. 

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Never fails, that one :rofl:

More concerning is the poster 'likes' the way Nheilson wants to play .

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Robbie poll February 2021 (not the latest poll)