Robbie poll February 2021 (not the latest poll)

GinRummy

Robbie poll  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. Should he go.

This poll is closed to new votes

57 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Did he say that?

Yes. I can’t find the quote but I think it was around the time he made this comment : - 

“It's been difficult for Peter because in a lot of these recent games we are going to try and win the three points. He will still be involved going forward. He came on the Scottish Cup semi-final and the final – big games when we needed to close things up. He gave us experience in the middle and defensive attributes.”

clearly, if he was wholly defensively minded he would be selecting who he thinks offers the best defensively. 

I’m not defending his capabilities, I’m just questioning if he is as defensively minded as some would argue. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• mitch41

• NANOJAMBO

4 minutes ago, Sid said:

Yes. I can’t find the quote but I think it was around the time he made this comment : - 

“It's been difficult for Peter because in a lot of these recent games we are going to try and win the three points. He will still be involved going forward. He came on the Scottish Cup semi-final and the final – big games when we needed to close things up. He gave us experience in the middle and defensive attributes.”

clearly, if he was wholly defensively minded he would be selecting who he thinks offers the best defensively. 

I’m not defending his capabilities, I’m just questioning if he is as defensively minded as some would argue. 

I don’t think he did say it. I think he said what you quoted above and a few folk on here deciphered it as he’ll play more in the top flight. 

Berra than you
18 minutes ago, Sid said:

I would argue that whilst helping to 'close things up' Haring also offers alot to an attacking game. If he's fit he should be playing.

4 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

We have witnessed over two spells what Neilson is like as a Manager. We can see he is a defensive Manager by nature. First time around he was timid whilst playing  rangers and hibs, but we saw some decent football against the other teams in the Championship. However, we are the Top Dogs in this division now and we still watch eye bleeding ponderous boring football. He elevated Dunfermline and Dundee as our main challengers, and instead of a commanding performance he allowed them to dominate the game.

Anyone who has voted to give him a chance when we are back in the Premier are kidding themselves that the style of football will be any different. All in my opinion of course....

We have had some very high scoring games under him tbf

6 goals (4 times iirc, even Motherwell in prem)

4 (v Rangers in prem)

My issue with him is not that he is defensive as I don't think he is. My issue is that he never knows his preferred XI.

Berra than you
17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We have had some very high scoring games under him tbf

6 goals (4 times iirc, even Motherwell in prem)

4 (v Rangers in prem)

My issue with him is not that he is defensive as I don't think he is. My issue is that he never knows his preferred XI.

Not often I agree with your posts, but this is my main gripe with Neilson too. Tbh I think the days of unchanged teams week to week are largely gone, but he doesn't seem to know where to get the best our of players, or what combination of players suits our play best. That's a worry.

Edited by Berra than you

10 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

he doesn't seem to know where to get the best our of players, or what combination of players suits our play best. That's a worry.

Spot on.

32 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I would argue that whilst helping to 'close things up' Haring also offers alot to an attacking game. If he's fit he should be playing.

He does glad you can see it. 

55 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I agree ‘if he’s fit’. 

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree ‘if he’s fit’. 

Well that's it. Who really knows what the situation is with him. If he isn't fit though he maybe shouldn't be on the bench. And only one way to get him match sharp of he is fit. He will have been hampered somewhat by the lack of reserve league.

7 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Well that's it. Who really knows what the situation is with him. If he isn't fit though he maybe shouldn't be on the bench. And only one way to get him match sharp of he is fit. He will have been hampered somewhat by the lack of reserve league.

Haring is a strange situation. He played a number of games at the start of the season (one game in particular i thought we should give him 45 mins and sub him at halftime to protect him a little bit but he played the full game) and then became a bit of a part player. Neilson should come out and say what the situation really is. If he doesn't, fans are going to come up with various theories, one being that Neilson just doesn't fancy him. And while he's at it, i'd like to hear what's going on with Damour. Early season, Neilson's saying he's back running and taking part in training but still, he's not even been in the squad, far less on the subs bench even. This guy, coming up from the Championship, will be on a fair wad of notes, probably one of the highest earners so he should be contributing towards the team. He can't be any worse than some that are playing already!

1 hour ago, Sid said:

Is Robbie suggesting that Haring cannot play if we are trying to win games, only if we are looking to tighten things up defensively?

Just comes across like Robbie's overthinking it again.

Oh, and Haring has a better strike rate than Craig Wighton so i think he offers plenty in an attacking sense.

12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is Robbie suggesting that Haring cannot play if we are trying to win games, only if we are looking to tighten things up defensively?

Oh, and Haring has a better strike rate than Craig Wighton so i think he offers plenty in an attacking sense.

His strike rate is good but surely Robbie can see that Harings experience and positional sense / awareness are extremely good. This gives other players more creative freedom to get further up the park when we are in possesion of the ball which in turn means he realy does offer a lot in an attacking sense. He also has that positional awareness in the oppositions penalty box which is why he has a great goal scoring return for a holding midfielder. Just my oppinion of course. I am not agaist Robbie in any way but if thats his reason for leaving out a fully fit Harring then i dont agree. 

19 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Doesn't seem to be that many fans unhappy with Robbies approach, according to the poll. 

I think he deserves a chance next season if he gets us up. If we had a couple of string performances in a row the results would look quite different imo. Poll was done at a low point in the season, after two dismal draws. Nonetheless I found it quite surprising that over 40% who chose to answer, don’t want him in charge next season. 

34 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

His strike rate is good but surely Robbie can see that Harings experience and positional sense / awareness are extremely good. This gives other players more creative freedom to get further up the park when we are in possesion of the ball which in turn means he realy does offer a lot in an attacking sense. He also has that positional awareness in the oppositions penalty box which is why he has a great goal scoring return for a holding midfielder. Just my oppinion of course. I am not agaist Robbie in any way but if thats his reason for leaving out a fully fit Harring then i dont agree. 

We also only have ten games left until the end of the season. If Haring is not up to it then it gives us the summer to try and move him on and replace him. 

Guest ToqueJambo
23 hours ago, franco2209 said:

No,it's because we're seeing a re run of Leveinesque performances before our very own eyes. You really don't need huge levels of foresight to see what lies ahead,deja vu i'm afraid.

Deja vu with Robbie would mean 3rd next season then challenging for 2nd the following season.

Maybe I just look at football in very simple terms. My aims for Hearts in order are:

1. Win

2. Don't lose

3. Score as many goals as possible

4. Play "good football"

The thing with good football is I consider good football to be the same as winning football, which brings with it goals. I'm really not that fussed about "style" as if we're winning and scoring that's my kind of style. If we lose, I couldn't care less if we played like Brazil or Montrose - we lost so I just forget about it. Being obsessed with "style" is Hibs chat. Winning the league and doing well in the cups this season is all that matters. So far we've done 2 out of 3 of the competitions we've played in so far.

Guest ToqueJambo
56 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

But who do you drop for Haring? He's been one of our few successes the last few years, but is he really a player that can help us break down all these packed defences. Our CBs do the Haring job of picking up the ball quite high-up the park (because the other team is so far back) and shuttling the ball to the wingers, advancing FBs or creative midfielder like Irving or McEnuff. 

He's more of a holding mid who protects the back 4 and feeds the more creative players to make things happen. When teams aren't attacking us I don't see how we'd get the best from him. I would like to see him in central defence though.

18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Deja vu with Robbie would mean 3rd next season then challenging for 2nd the following season.

Maybe I just look at football in very simple terms. My aims for Hearts in order are:

1. Win

2. Don't lose

3. Score as many goals as possible

4. Play "good football"

The thing with good football is I consider good football to be the same as winning football, which brings with it goals. I'm really not that fussed about "style" as if we're winning and scoring that's my kind of style. If we lose, I couldn't care less if we played like Brazil or Montrose - we lost so I just forget about it. Being obsessed with "style" is Hibs chat. Winning the league and doing well in the cups this season is all that matters. So far we've done 2 out of 3 of the competitions we've played in so far.

No one is "obsessed with style" : you're deliberately using that language to attack critics. You know perfectly well what the criticisms of Neilson's style is : stop making stuff up.

You've done exactly the same on the "Curious" thread so you can attack critics. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

No one is "obsessed with style" : you're deliberately using that language to attack critics. You know perfectly well what the criticisms of Neilson's style is : stop making stuff up.

You've done exactly the same on the "Curious" thread so you can attack critics. 

I'm not attacking anyone. Style is mentioned a lot. Some are deeply obsessed with it as they don't even seem to enjoy when we win, which to me means they value "style" above winning. Yet no-one defines what they mean by style, hence the quotes. We all want is to score goals like pinogol's vs Aberdeen doing the rounds all the time but, you know, real world and all that.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I'm not attacking anyone. Style is mentioned a lot. Some are deeply obsessed with it as they don't even seem to enjoy when we win, which to me means they value "style" above winning. Yet no-one defines what they mean by style, hence the quotes. We all want is to score goals like pinogol's vs Aberdeen doing the rounds all the time but, you know, real world and all that.

You are - on the "curious" thread you're blatantly having a go at people who (in your view) attack Neilson while saying the players effectively get an easy ride. That is just not true. Collectively & individually , players have been criticised so that's just not true. 

You're talking about people being obsessed with style  when you know perfectly well Neilson has been criticised about his rigidity, his inflexibility , his inability to get the best out of people and his inability to keep the team motivated for 90 minutes. But you try to ignore it by saying it's an obsession with style. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You are - on the "curious" thread you're blatantly having a go at people who (in your view) attack Neilson while saying the players effectively get an easy ride. That is just not true. Collectively & individually , players have been criticised so that's just not true. 

You're talking about people being obsessed with style  when you know perfectly well Neilson has been criticised about his rigidity, his inflexibility , his inability to get the best out of people and his inability to keep the team motivated for 90 minutes. But you try to ignore it by saying it's an obsession with style. 

It's just my opinion mate. My main opinion is the people who give Levein and Budge stick all the time give Neilson stick for his association with them. There's no other logic to it when you look at his record. 

I compare that to Stendel - he has got off quite lightly while his players were criticised. Neilson is getting way more stick than Stendel despite actually doing his job. Both Stendel and Neilson managed in difficult circumstances with squads mostly built by someone else. One failed dismally and the other is doing his job.

Edited by ToqueJambo

26 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's just my opinion mate. My main opinion is the people who give Levein and Budge stick all the time give Neilson stick for his association with them. There's no other logic to it when you look at his record. 

I compare that to Stendel - he has got off quite lightly while his players were criticised. Neilson is getting way more stick than Stendel despite actually doing his job. Both Stendel and Neilson managed in difficult circumstances with squads mostly built by someone else. One failed dismally and the other is doing his job.

Your wasting your time with the sheep on here, Neilson doesn't play negative football, he doesn't hamstring the players, he attacks at all times.

Posters on here don't know what their watching half the time and just go with the group think to look clever.

Football just isn't fun for these types, they don't watch the game with any enjoyment whatsoever from start to finish. Scoring 6 is barely pass marks to these types, anything less is failure and that's the reason they watch. You won't see them on positive threads or giving any compliments. 

They survive to moan, it's how they exist, their enjoyment is negativity, you won't convert them. 

Just give up. 

Bazzas right boot
57 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The style talk is nonsense, must be epl fan boys and folk that think football manager is coaching experience. 

If anything our defence is soft as shite, but decent quality centre backs aren't lining up to ply there trade in the Scottish championship, in a reduced season with no crowds. 

His league record wins, goals, away wins and placings are there for all to see. 

As the brains trust can't argue with any merit about that they talk about "style". 

Style.... Imagine argueing about style. 

Football is simple, winning games is good, losing games is bad. Robbie has us winning again. 

It's Not ****ing rocket science Tbh. 

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

He’s also a far better player than Andy podcast gobshite Halliday. 

Harring is a threat at our set pieces and is defensively good in our box. I’m struggling to understand why a fully fit Harring would be left out so my guess is he’s still struggling with injury.

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The style talk is nonsense, must be epl fan boys and folk that think football manager is coaching experience. 

If anything our defence is soft as shite, but decent quality centre backs aren't lining up to ply there trade in the Scottish championship, in a reduced season with no crowds. 

His league record wins, goals, away wins and placings are there for all to see. 

As the brains trust can't argue with any merit about that they talk about "style". 

Style.... Imagine argueing about style. 

Football is simple, winning games is good, losing games is bad. Robbie has us winning again. 

It's Not ****ing rocket science Tbh. 

You've totally missed the point but I admire your enthusiasm in jumping straight in with both feet.

It was TJ who was banging on about an "obsession with style". :rofl:

Pretty much everybody else has been talking about a lot more besides that. 

"It's Not ****ing rocket science Tbh".

Indeed. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You've totally missed the point but I admire your enthusiasm in jumping straight in with both feet.

Indeed. 

He’ll have a hard job explaining the rocket science when Neilson turns out it be pish in the Premiership. But at that point he‘ll just deflect in a different way. A tried and tested strategy 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Indeed. 

Too much style talk. 

I prefer a winning style, we're on the right course for that. 

That's all that matters. 

Will it continue- maybe aye, maybe naw. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He’ll have a hard job explaining the rocket science when Neilson turns out it be pish in the Premiership. But at that point he‘ll just deflect in a different way. A tried and tested strategy 

He might be. 

He wasn't last time, but he could be pish this time. 

You can only hope, then if it plays out that way tell everyone you told us so before begging the new manager gets launched for some half baked reason after about 10 games. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

On 23/02/2021 at 19:12, Bongo 1874 said:

Well if you see it like that yeah, 

Don't try and make yourself out to be squeaky clean mate, you put a picture of Rocky balboa up when he shouts Adrian, saying it was me shouting his name, so i played your silly we game and done the Robbie thing 😉that's the truth. 

I don't hate Robbie hate is a strong word, I've stated my thoughts, I don't see him improving the club as a whole going forward 👍, you are just happy to have him because he's the closest thing to Levein hearts can possibly have, so it makes you

feel warm and fuzzy inside. 

You say you backed Stendel yet this is a contradiction within itself, when you openly came out with on this forum, Levein would of kept us up if he was in charge? How is that backing the guy in charge, you sit and try and compare a unknown German who was at the club, to Robbie and Levein two guys that played for our club, and knows what it means, but can't get the team doing the simple basics of football. 

And because they have an affiliation to our club, your prepared to make every excuse under the sun for them. 

Not a German manager though 🤔starting to think there is a bit of racial hate behind the Stendel thing tbh, certainly shows in a few posters, that are actively coming out and blame him for our demotion, yet don't applaud him for getting our team to a semi, but then applaud Robbie for getting to a final 🤔

Honestly don't start me mate, as far as football knowledge goes and the level I've coached / played at you couldn't lace my boots. 

And that shows with what you post on this forum, I hope the mods realise the snide we jibes you make on a regular basis, to get other posters respond to you. 

Robbie as a player won a scottish cup he got us promoted last time, both achievements i applaud him for 👍

As a player he was limited nothing special did his job. 

Let me spell it out for you one last time, I don't hate Robbie, do I expect better yes ☺, do I demand better yes, do you have any idea how much money the fans put into this club, how much kickback put into the club. 

Supporters on here and they can't even give the oap some sort of entertainment on the pitch, for all the money they have poured into the club year after year. 

Stop making excuse after excuse we deserve better. 

Show me the improvement within the team, just one player? Great chance to promote youth this season, with the teams we are coming up against bed them in get them ready for the premiership, instead Frear, Berra, Roberts, Kastaneer, Halliday, players that down the line are going to offer us going forward. 

What sort of culture is Robbie trying to create within the club?. 

Do you honestly think fans our going to hand over their hard earned to watch that?. 

This is the problem from top to bottom, the club as a whole are so void of what fans want/ expect. 

Our approach of having a defensive manager Levein, then changing to Stendel an attacking manager but doesn't get the backing to play his style, then back to a possession based manager Robbie. 

Who comes out with he wants to play an attacking style, yet plays two holding midfield players. 

And our striker is so isolated it's unbelievable. 

Once we go a goal down the answer throw on the big man, I wonder who Neilson learned that from 🤔

Honestly promotion was a given, look at the other teams in the league they aren't on our level, they shouldn't be expected to be on our level. 

Yet we make hard work of it at home and away matches this season. 

But i get called a Robbie hater for demanding better against Queen of the South away and Morton at home. 

If we can't beat these teams convincingly at home and away in the championship, how can you expect to beat teams like Hamilton Ross county etc.

Yet people say he needs more time but didn't afford our German that time, I don't even want him back it's obvious he upset the regime binning certain players and people. 

If you want to pay £600 for that on show every year, then be my guest we as fans deserve better. 

It's nothing but blatantly conning the fans, which has been the case the last 5 years.

Best post theres ever been on JKB

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He’s also a far better player than Andy podcast gobshite Halliday. 

Harring is a threat at our set pieces and is defensively good in our box. I’m struggling to understand why a fully fit Harring would be left out so my guess is he’s still struggling with injury.

We do miss him in the air Tbh, but he's been pretty poor when he played so far this season. 

Hopefully he can bounce back. 

Like Naismith, I think Haring is better in the big games, or maybe it's just his injury. 

Guest ToqueJambo
34 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Like last time. Oh...

Guest ToqueJambo
44 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Indeed. 

Banging on = mention once?

Don't think style is the right word. Basic competence would be more appropriate, allied to hunger, desire and urgency. Basic principles that go missing a lot. Nothing wrong with fans highlighting this. A team and its players are supposed to improve over time; shows signs of better cohesion and purpose over 90, yes, 90 minutes.

That's not really style,  just basics.

Edited by Riccarton3

On 21/02/2021 at 21:02, Neil Dongcaster said:

Your original post regarding trackies was aimed at me you then followed up on a reply essentially calling you out also implying that the trackies you said I wear wouldn’t look good in front of a judge. 

I’ll say this though. All I want is what’s best for Hearts. I have no ill will towards you, Robbie Neilson or any other Hearts fan. It’s a shame you feel the need to get personal. I suspect if you were to have a similar conversation in a pub you probably would t resort to such personal attacks for fear of a punch in the gub.

I can assure you I would.

If I new it was you I was talking too I would go as far to wear a T shirt saying “this is personal”.

Heard from Bongos recently?

6 hours ago, Berra than you said:

I’m a fan of Haring. Agree he can offer both. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Banging on = mention once?

Exactly!  👍

Nano tends to get a wee bit Leeds United if everyone is not agreeing with her.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

We have witnessed over two spells what Neilson is like as a Manager. We can see he is a defensive Manager by nature. First time around he was timid whilst playing  rangers and hibs, but we saw some decent football against the other teams in the Championship. However, we are the Top Dogs in this division now and we still watch eye bleeding ponderous boring football. He elevated Dunfermline and Dundee as our main challengers, and instead of a commanding performance he allowed them to dominate the game.

Anyone who has voted to give him a chance when we are back in the Premier are kidding themselves that the style of football will be any different. All in my opinion of course....

How the **** do we score so many goals with him as manager then, and not just in the Championship? 

12 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

My opinion too. Like you say, he is no different this time round to last time. Stand by for more turgid, boring (some may be more polite and use the word patient) football next season with the odd exceptional result and performance to give us all false hope of it being the norm.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, hmfcbilly said:

My opinion too. Like you say, he is no different this time round to last time. Stand by for more turgid, boring (some may be more polite and use the word patient) football next season with the odd exceptional result and performance to give us all false hope of it being the norm.

Never out of the top 2 or 3 in 3 seasons in two leagues? Outscoring every other team in the country? You're right.

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Never out of the top 2 or 3 in 3 seasons in two leagues? Outscoring every other team in the country? You're right.

I won't deny Robbie blew me away with that championship season with hibs and rangers also being in the league. We played some amazing attacking football but can you honestly say you saw much of that in his 2nd season in the Premiership before he left or this season in a mediocre championship? We have been dire since the turn of the year. 2 decent wins to end 2020 quickly followed by defeat to Dundee and Raith in 2 gutless performances. Even the 4-0 against Raith doesn't tell the whole story. They had 10 men the whole of the 2nd half and it took 2 very late goals by us to make the score look more convincing. Since then we've laboured to 1 nil wins against Dunfermline and Ayr before scraping draws with Queens and Morton after going behind in both games. I really thought after the last few games we would get a right good performance and take 3 or 4 off Morton last weekend given the results previous to that but, in the end we were lucky to get a point. We only seem to have one way of playing and there doesn't seem much urgency either. Like others have said, with the squad we currently have and the massive amounts of money the fans pump in each month via FOH I think we deserve better. Certainly on an entertainment level thats for sure. 

On 23/02/2021 at 21:39, Vlad Magic said:

Wrong quote.

On 23/02/2021 at 21:40, Vlad Magic said:

You have issues.

Lots of them.

You need help.

In fairness you could have said that about me as well.  :laugh:

23 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think it is simply 'reversion to the mean' theory in action. Normally you will only re-hire a manager who has had above average success for your club in their first spell. Why would you re-employ them otherwise. But that means it is far more likely that they will perform closer to or below the club's average in their second spell, than that they will over perform the club average by an even greater margin. This theory probably relies on an acceptance that the majority of a club' success or failure is down to factors beyond the manager's innate ability. That may well struggle for acceptance on jkb where many are attributing absolutely every failing to the manager.

Reversion to the mean also explains the "new manager bounce" phenomenon. A club will normally replace a manager after a particularly bad run of results, even within the context of bad season. So just random variation means it is more likely that results will 'improve' towards the average form for that season rather than get even worse than the form that led to the previous manager being sacked.

Makes a lot of sense, that.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, Kenbo said:

To give him any less than 2 summer windows would be foolishness IM (unless we utterly imploded).....

Oh my days. See you in 2023 then 

avhudtheteeshirt

You've got to remember this is not all Robbie's team, he has maybe not got the best in yet as money has been tight over this season.

He at least needs more time to assemble a squad for the Premiership and see how it goes.

Jumping on the get him out bandwagon seems churlish at a time when we are 11 points in front of our nearest challenger in 2nd place?

What must other team managers in this league be thinking?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Robbie poll February 2021 (not the latest poll)