Berra today

Stendelnator

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I never got any. Had to use holidays. 

I got paid two week paternity, both times, but weirdly someone else working beside me had to take holidays for the second week. I said nowt, obviously 😀

Edit - Actually maybe it was one week I got, I cani mind now, but my colleague definitely had to take holidays.

Edited by smiler

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Batistuta87

• wavydavy

• Stendelnator

On 21/02/2021 at 15:10, Stendelnator said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/christophe-berras-half-time-hearts-19883804

According to this his wife had already been in hospital that morning as she thought she was in labour. 

I have stated I’ve got no issue with him being at the birth. But just allowing one of our subs to leave the game is beyond me, he shouldn’t have been named in the squad. I don’t understand how people think it’s ok, what if we’d had a defensive crisis in the second half, or a red card? This isn’t looking for something to have a go at, he just shouldn’t have been in the squad. That’s all. 

Far too sensible a post for some on here.

8 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Far too sensible a post for some on here.

What sort of issues should a player on the bench be allowed to leave for?

What an absolute shit show of a thread 🤣

The lengths some people will go to to criticise the club, the manager, the way things are done, is absolutely astounding. Disgusting, actually. 

****ing chronic.

28 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

What an absolute shit show of a thread 🤣

The lengths some people will go to to criticise the club, the manager, the way things are done, is absolutely astounding. Disgusting, actually. 

****ing chronic.

Quite right. It’s disgusting to point out we willingly handicapped ourselves during a game. 

Ex member of the SaS

Can't understand how some think this was ok. No problem with Berra, the problem lies with the management team putting him on the bench knowing how close she was. What would we have done should injuries enforce the use of the subs and we were one less to choose from?

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

What sort of issues should a player on the bench be allowed to leave for?

That’s not the point Dave. With his wife over due he shouldn’t have been selected to be on the bench in the first place.

5 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Quite right. It’s disgusting to point out we willingly handicapped ourselves during a game. 

Exactly - “chronic” some on here are blind to that.

How the **** did we willingly handicap ourselves!? Nobody knew she was going to go into labour FFS 😂

Also.... It was Morton!! We should have been able to beat them with Berra's Mrs sitting on the bench, never mind Berra himself. The fact that we never had absolutely nothing to do with him being in our out of the squad. 

Edited by Batistuta87

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

How the **** did we willingly handicap ourselves!? Nobody knew she was going to go into labour FFS 😂

I mean, she’d already been in hospital that morning as they thought it had started. It’s not like it came out of nowhere. 

Giving yourself one less option on the bench when you don’t need to us, by definition, handicapping yourself.

The Natural Order

To be fair not having Berra on the bench is an improvement. He's as good as a man down anyway so no loss or "handicap".

Guest ToqueJambo

This is ridiculous. Putting aside how useful Berra is to us these days, wouldn't we be "willingly handicapping ourselves" by leaving him out of the squad just in case his wife gives birth that afternoon?

As others have pointed out, life doesn't stop when your missus is preggers. Almost everyone works up until the very last minute. Bosses don't tell you, "Just stay home today in case your wife gives birth." Berra has the same right to continue working as normal as anyone else, and Neilson should enable him to do his job until the last minute like everyone else.

As someone else said it's a joke the lengths some people are going to to have a go at their own club these days.

Edited by ToqueJambo

If there was even the slightest tiny chance Berra would have to leave the game at any point then he shouldn’t have been included in the matchday squad.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

I mean, she’d already been in hospital that morning as they thought it had started. It’s not like it came out of nowhere. 

Giving yourself one less option on the bench when you don’t need to us, by definition, handicapping yourself.

It's possible to have multiple false alarms in this situation. In the real world, the father doesn't just stop going to work. If necessary, he leaves work each time it looks like labour might start.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

If there was even the slightest tiny chance Berra would have to leave the game at any point then he shouldn’t have been included in the matchday squad.

So we should've "willingly handicapped" ourselves for several weeks/months then?

Edited by WageThief

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, DH1986 said:

In that case he wouldn't be involved for a couple of weeks potentially as once you get to a certain stage the baby can make itself known at literally any time at a moment's notice. This isn't how life works mate. Berra has a right to continue working.

14 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Aye - but it hadn't started, and it can take hours, days even, for it to *actually* start after a false start. Nobody knew when she was going to go. 

Also, edited earlier comment, but it was Morton FFS. We should have been able to beat them with Mrs Berra sitting on the bench tanning the gas and air. It literally shouldn't have and didn't make any difference what so ever, because he wasn't needed. And if he had been playing, I'm sure he would have seen out the game and then left. The fact that it was half time meant it was a smaller hurdle and had less than half the game to play if we did lose a centre back.

Edited by Batistuta87

Guest ToqueJambo

Check all the folk who don't have kids trying to explain to folk with kids how it works 🤣 Is there an equivalent to "mansplaining" to describe this phenomenon.

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye - but it hadn't started, and it can take hours, days even, for it to *actually* start after a false start. Nobody knew when she was going to go. 

Also, edited earlier comment, but it was Morton FFS. We should have been able to beat them with Mrs Berra sitting on the bench tanning the gas and air. It literally shouldn't have and didn't make any difference what so ever, because he wasn't needed. And if he had been playing, I'm sure he would have seen out the game and then left. The fact that it was half time meant it was a smaller hurdle and had less than half the game to play if we did lose a centre back.

Plus we had Haring who can fill in at CB, but it's much better to just manufacture a big drama out of nothing!

Edited by ToqueJambo

27 minutes ago, WageThief said:

So we should've "willingly handicapped" ourselves for several weeks/months then?

26 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

In that case he wouldn't be involved for a couple of weeks potentially as once you get to a certain stage the baby can make itself known at literally any time at a moment's notice. This isn't how life works mate. Berra has a right to continue working.

We gambled on handicapping ourselves by including him when he’s obviously made it clear he’ll be leaving the game when he gets the call.

I have no problem with him wanting to attend the birth of his child......but his place should have been given to someone who was guaranteed to be there for the duration of the game.

It’s all a bit amateur hour imo.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Now there’s an idea...

I won’t be voting until we see certified copies of Mrs Berra’s medical records. 

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We gambled on handicapping ourselves by including him when he’s obviously made it clear he’ll be leaving the game when he gets the call.

I have no problem with him wanting to attend the birth of his child......but his place should have been given to someone who was guaranteed to be there for the duration of the game.

It’s all a bit amateur hour imo.

So we should just tell him to take 2 or however many weeks off until the spawn of Berra is born? Fair enough. That's typically not how things work in real life though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

I think the easiest solution is that once it is medically safe to do so,a players wife/partner should be mandated to have a planned C Section at a time most convenient for the club i.e. a non training or match day.

Sick of these wage thiefs disappearing during match day, literally or otherwise.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Check all the folk who don't have kids trying to explain to folk with kids how it works 🤣 Is there an equivalent to "mansplaining" to describe this phenomenon.

😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I think the easiest solution is that once it is medically safe to do so,a players wife/partner should be mandated to have a planned C Section at a time most convenient for the club i.e. a non training or match day.

Sick of these wage thiefs disappearing during match day, literally or otherwise.

Now we're talking 😂😂😂