Berra today

Stendelnator

13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Have they changed the rules on Dad's being at the births of a child? Genuine question.

Apparently you're allowed in if the mother is dilated 4cm but you have to leave one hour after the birth. 

Anyway, did his missus have the bairn or what? 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Batistuta87

• wavydavy

• Stendelnator

14 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Apparently left the match at half time, despite being a sub, because his missus went into labour. Congratulations to them both. 

Brings me to another point. How on earth is this acceptable from us? If Berra was so expendable that we could just let him leave a game at half time, why was he on the bench to begin with? Staggeringly unprofessional from Hearts here. 

What a load of guff.

13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Depends on the circumstances and the mental state of the player. Too early to criticise for me. 

Rubbish. Lets just get wired into the club/organisation without knowing the facts. That's what it's for, apparently

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Have they changed the rules on Dad's being at the births of a child? Genuine question.

Mrs had a baby girl in November and I was allowed to stay the whole time so I guess it is ok

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

because we are in the championship and can’t beat the likes of Morton at home with an expensively assembled squad which is allegedly coached.

You do understand that even the top sides don't win every game, doesn't mean they are a laughing stock. 

No idea. My youngest is 13 so its all in the past for me. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/christophe-berras-half-time-hearts-19883804

According to this his wife had already been in hospital that morning as she thought she was in labour. 

I have stated I’ve got no issue with him being at the birth. But just allowing one of our subs to leave the game is beyond me, he shouldn’t have been named in the squad. I don’t understand how people think it’s ok, what if we’d had a defensive crisis in the second half, or a red card? This isn’t looking for something to have a go at, he just shouldn’t have been in the squad. That’s all. 

Does this explain why Frear suddenly apopeared in the warm up when not on the original teamsheet?

I would expect so.

It looks like we did plan ahead and decided the chances of Mrs Berra going into labour during a relatively short window (between kick-off and the final substitution being made) were low enough to allow a calculated risk to be taken.

Add in that if it was Frear that was going to take his place on the bench, rather than another defender, it suggests we don't have any fit back-up just now and, which would strengthen the case for taking that risk.

1 hour ago, Madjambo21 said:

Mrs had a baby girl in November and I was allowed to stay the whole time so I guess it is ok

Congratulations. Thanks for th info I thought Dad's were not allowed in at the birth just like when a member of immediate family is admitted to Hospital.

2 hours ago, smiler said:

Apparently you're allowed in if the mother is dilated 4cm but you have to leave one hour after the birth. 

Anyway, did his missus have the bairn or what? 

Apparently she did. Not sure what sex though.

1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/christophe-berras-half-time-hearts-19883804

According to this his wife had already been in hospital that morning as she thought she was in labour. 

I have stated I’ve got no issue with him being at the birth. But just allowing one of our subs to leave the game is beyond me, he shouldn’t have been named in the squad. I don’t understand how people think it’s ok, what if we’d had a defensive crisis in the second half, or a red card? This isn’t looking for something to have a go at, he just shouldn’t have been in the squad. That’s all. 

We nearly did when Halkett was crudely tackled in the second half. The Morton player got a yellow and watching it again on the replay it could possibly have been a red. 

If Halkett had to go off then it would no doubt have been a re-shuffle with probably a back three of Smith Popescu and Kingsley as we had no other defenders on the bench that I remember.

33 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We nearly did when Halkett was crudely tackled in the second half. The Morton player got a yellow and watching it again on the replay it could possibly have been a red. 

If Halkett had to go off then it would no doubt have been a re-shuffle with probably a back three of Smith Popescu and Kingsley as we had no other defenders on the bench that I remember.

Haring. 

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Haring. 

Yes I suppose so but is he anywhere near fit.

Not sure why he is on the bench as he hardly ever gets on.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I’m assuming he’s fit enough to play at least a half if required but 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I’m assuming he’s fit enough to play at least a half if required but 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't suppose he would be any worse than most at the moment even if he is not fully match fit.

4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Does this explain why Frear suddenly apopeared in the warm up when not on the original teamsheet?

No idea.  Never noticed.  To be honest though, if I passed him in the street, I’d be none the wiser. 

6 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

I have to agree with this. Berra should not have been anywhere near Tynecastle yesterday, never mind being on the bench. 

4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Not been seen since that dreadful 45 mins at Dens Park. 

We have had so shocking performances from our midfielders since then but Haring just never leaves the bench. 

If he is that unfit he can't be used should he be taking up a subs place? 

Naebody here ever had kids?? 

I went to work on my Mrs due date, and for another 2 days after that before she actually went into labour. A due date doesn't mean the baby will come on that day. If she hadn't gone into labour yet, he was right to turn up for work and if he was able to work, we were right to have him in the match day squad if he wanted to be in it. 

Once you've gone into labour, it's impossible to tell when the baby will come. My Mrs was "in labour" for nearly a day and a half before my daughter was actually born. By comparison, my sister in law's waters went and she had the baby on her bedroom floor less than half an hour later, before an ambulance got to her.

You go about your life until you get that call, and as soon as you do, you move your arse. Simple as that. 

I think its about time some of us got a ****ing grip. 

15 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Amazing how some people don’t get the OP

Its not the fact he left to be with his Mrs, congrats and all that, it’s the fact that someone at the club had zero foresight and actually put him on the bench. 

Easiest thing would have been give him the day off and put someone else on bench in his place. 

Imagine the uproar if he’d had to come on in first half then we had to use another sub to replace him to let him go to be with his Mrs. 

I think most people do get the OP, but they just had the common sense to not make bizarre assumptions based on nowt.

His wife could in theory have a child 2 months before the due date, so should Hearts have given Berra 2 months off just in case?

It's just another thinly veiled attempt at trying spin more negativity on the club.

7 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

She got sent home, therefore not in labour. He was absolutely right to turn up for the game if things weren't actively moving along, and absolutely right to leave if/when they started to. 

You'd be sitting here having a go if he hadn't turned up and she never went into labour. 

Canny win.

King Of The Cat Cafe
27 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

She got sent home, therefore not in labour. He was absolutely right to turn up for the game if things weren't actively moving along, and absolutely right to leave if/when they started to. 

You'd be sitting here having a go if he hadn't turned up and she never went into labour. 

Canny win.

You are using steady, reasonable facts to create a good case.

You will not last long on this board...

WheatfieldWarrior
17 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The lengths some of our so-called fans go to, to find angles to criticise Neilson/the club is astounding.

yep

10 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

You are using steady, reasonable facts to create a good case.

You will not last long on this board...

😂😂😂😂

On 21/02/2021 at 06:37, merseyjambo said:

Amazing how some people don’t get the OP

Its not the fact he left to be with his Mrs, congrats and all that, it’s the fact that someone at the club had zero foresight and actually put him on the bench. 

Easiest thing would have been give him the day off and put someone else on bench in his place. 

Imagine the uproar if he’d had to come on in first half then we had to use another sub to replace him to let him go to be with his Mrs. 

So we don’t play any players in the month before their wife/partner is due just in case? 

Re your last para I think most folk would have applauded the club for letting him go off regardless of result. Childbirth much more important than a game of football. 

Folks are just looking for any ammo to fire at the club and management theses days. Tedious stuff 

18 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Maybe Haring could have played at centre-back though not sure if he has ever played there before. 

17 hours ago, wavydavy said:

We had three different options for cover at centre back if Halkett needed to come off.

1) Straight swap - Halkett off, Haring on at CB

2) Move Kingsley to CB, move Halliday to LB, continue with a back 4

3) Move Smith and Kingsley into the middle, stay back and play a back three

7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We had three different options for cover at centre back if Halkett needed to come off.

1) Straight swap - Halkett off, Haring on at CB

2) Move Kingsley to CB, move Halliday to LB, continue with a back 4

3) Move Smith and Kingsley into the middle, stay back and play a back three

So if we were so well covered why did Berra need to be on the bench at all? 

7 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Because that was his natural position and a straight swap for a like for like player is the better option. Having cover because of something extraordinary happening isn’t a reason to rely on it. 

On 21/02/2021 at 00:33, Smith's right boot said:

An employee leaves his work early to be at the birth of his child. A "fan£ complains.

A new low for JKB.

Aye, if Berra had played we'd have one 3-0, add in Wighton staying- 5-0.

Are folk ****ing mental?

Budge oot, Robbie oot, How dare they let a father witness the birth of his child.

****ing worse thing I've heard on the internet. 

Correct.

if she was due to go into labour or it was her due date Christophe would have been nowhere near the match squad. Just lucky for him we weren’t away at QOS or something.

18 minutes ago, James1874f said:

Correct.

if she was due to go into labour or it was her due date Christophe would have been nowhere near the match squad. Just lucky for him we weren’t away at QOS or something.

Brora. 🥴

27 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

It's really not difficult mate - summed up by @Dazo:

45 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Because that was his natural position and a straight swap for a like for like player is the better option. Having cover because of something extraordinary happening isn’t a reason to rely on it. 

He was our only other fit defender, and was an easy swap if he was needed. If she wasn't actually IN active labour then he was quite right to turn up and we were quite right to have him stripped and ready in case we needed him. She'd been sent home from hospital earlier that morning so probably nobody was expecting anything to happen for the rest of the day. It can be hours, days even, between initial contractions or water breaking, and the baby actually arriving! If we'd left him out of the match day squad entirely and he'd stayed at home "just in case" his Mrs went into labour and then it didn't happen, you'd be on here moaning that he should have been in the squad, questioning his commitment etc and slating RN for leaving him out when we had no other defenders fit.

31 minutes ago, James1874f said:

Correct.

Wrong lol. Babies don't always come on their due dates. They can go days, weeks, before or after. I went to work on my Mrs due date because nothing was happening. Baby came 2 full days later. If I'd stayed off work for those 3 days, I'd have lost 3 days paternity leave or wages.

If she's not in active labour, you go about your day(s) as normal. You maybe make sure you're not far away (which he wasn't - he lives in Edinburgh), but you generally get on with life until she is. The minute she is, you move.

The general ignorance to the process of having a baby is astounding here. 

Edited by Batistuta87

On 21/02/2021 at 07:18, Sherbet said:

Congratulations on the birth and not having to watch the second half.   Very thoughtful wife

At last ... a worthy response to a silly thread

Find me a job where if your wife was giving birth they wouldn't let you go tend to that? We had Haring on the bench lets not forget either, so if the worst did happen, we've got it covered. I'm happy to bash Neilson for his shite football and apparent lack of tactics, but this isn't something to criticise IMO. 

Dennis Reynolds

Folk are going to be furious when they find out it was a false alarm....

Edit: I'm not furious at all btw. 

Edited by LMc

This is My Story Podcast
On 21/02/2021 at 09:57, hoof.hearted said:

All births are different and just because your children took a while doesn't mean all are the same. 

That goes without saying. Have we had any news on the birth or that? 

8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Wrong lol. Babies don't always come on their due dates. They can go days, weeks, before or after. I went to work on my Mrs due date because nothing was happening. Baby came 2 full days later. If I'd stayed off work for those 3 days, I'd have lost 3 days paternity leave or wages.

If she's not in active labour, you go about your day(s) as normal. You maybe make sure you're not far away (which he wasn't - he lives in Edinburgh), but you generally get on with life until she is. The minute she is, you move.

The general ignorance to the process of having a baby is astounding here. 

Pretty much what I said thanks for clarifying 

Guest ToqueJambo

7 hours ago, LMc said:

Folk are going to be furious when they find out it was a false alarm....

Edit: I'm not furious at all btw. 

These folk that clearly started watching Hearts under Burley and come across as, let's put it nicely, impatient and entitled, will get a shock when it's their turn to have a kid. "But I was told it was due on December 5th. It's December 4th and I've not made my hospital Spotify playlist yet! Sack the womb!"

9 hours ago, OTT said:

Find me a job where if your wife was giving birth they wouldn't let you go tend to that? We had Haring on the bench lets not forget either, so if the worst did happen, we've got it covered. I'm happy to bash Neilson for his shite football and apparent lack of tactics, but this isn't something to criticise IMO. 

I just don't get why Berra had to be on the bench.

I have no issue with a player going to birth of his child; no reasonable person would, but what was Berra doing on the morning of the match? When it was me I had to deal with a host of domestic issues, drive my wife to hospital and hang around before taking her home. Maybe he didn't have to do any of this, but at the very least he would be worrying about the situation; doing all the right things, but hardly ideal preparation for the day job. I would hope that Neilson recognised this as that is what good people managers do, so why was it so vital that he be on the bench?

You have hit it on the head by saying that if there had been an injury Haring could have played. The team could also have been switched around and Smith moved into centre half. As you say, we have got it covered, so what on earth is Berra doing on the bench anyway?  Unlike Haring he is a central defender and nothing else, and in the Championship we would only ever need a central defender to come on to cover for an injury. We are certainly not going to have to bring on additional defensive cover and he is never going to change a game around as he is most certainly not an impact player.  Effectively Berra being on the bench is a waste of a sub.

I'm struggling to understand the manager's thought pattern on all of this.  

On 21/02/2021 at 22:19, Locky said:

You think that's bad? I took 3 weeks off work when my wee one was born.

I might have made this up but if you work for a banking institution you now get six weeks paternity.
I think I got two, it’s just a blur mind.

6 minutes ago, smiler said:

I might have made this up but if you work for a banking institution you now get six weeks paternity.
I think I got two, it’s just a blur mind.

I never got any. Had to use holidays.