Berra today

Stendelnator

Apparently left the match at half time, despite being a sub, because his missus went into labour. Congratulations to them both. 

Brings me to another point. How on earth is this acceptable from us? If Berra was so expendable that we could just let him leave a game at half time, why was he on the bench to begin with? Staggeringly unprofessional from Hearts here. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Batistuta87

• wavydavy

• Stendelnator

This is My Story Podcast
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How?

I think it’s a fair point to bring up. We have Naismith and Gordon working as pundits on the bbc. Halliday now doing 2 podcasts a week. Berra allowed to leave at half time. Stendel allowed to miss the hibs game. Feels like zero standards across the board within the club. Halliday phoning a player on a podcast pretending to ask for a fight. Then going on another podcast to laugh at the epl all the while he can’t beat Queens or Morton. I have two Kids, am 100% certain Berra could’ve waited an hour before heading to the hospital if his wife was in labour 😂 

6 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

I think it’s a fair point to bring up. We have Naismith and Gordon working as pundits on the bbc. Halliday now doing 2 podcasts a week. Berra allowed to leave at half time. Stendel allowed to miss the hibs game. Feels like zero standards across the board within the club. Halliday phoning a player on a podcast pretending to ask for a fight. Then going on another podcast to laugh at the epl all the while he can’t beat Queens or Morton. I have two Kids, am 100% certain Berra could’ve waited an hour before heading to the hospital if his wife was in labour 😂 

Firstly, I assume none of us know the circumstances around it so I hope mother and baby are both fine. 

My main point is that, if today was her due date then it’s daft having him on the bench. If she was not due for another fortnight then it’s not so daft. 

This is My Story Podcast
Just now, davemclaren said:

Firstly, I assume none of us know the circumstances around it so I hope mother and baby are both fine. 

My main point is that, if today was her due date then it’s daft having him on the bench. If she was not due for another fortnight then it’s not so daft. 

Yeah goes without saying and I should’ve had that in my original response. All the best and huge congratulations to the Berra’s, I hope everyone is well and safe. 

Yeah fair point. Just can’t think of many examples were a player has been allowed to leave at half time. Let’s hope everyone is safe. 

1 minute ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yeah goes without saying and I should’ve had that in my original response. All the best and huge congratulations to the Berra’s, I hope everyone is well and safe. 

Yeah fair point. Just can’t think of many examples were a player has been allowed to leave at half time. Let’s hope everyone is safe. 

Depends on the circumstances and the mental state of the player. Too early to criticise for me. 

This is My Story Podcast
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Depends on the circumstances and the mental state of the player. Too early to criticise for me. 

True. Let my annoyance at the result and gripes cloud my judgement. I hope everything has gone well for the Berra’s. 

Bazzas right boot

An employee leaves his work early to be at the birth of his child. A "fan£ complains.

A new low for JKB.

Aye, if Berra had played we'd have one 3-0, add in Wighton staying- 5-0.

Are folk ****ing mental?

Budge oot, Robbie oot, How dare they let a father witness the birth of his child.

****ing worse thing I've heard on the internet. 

on a day of ridiculous threads, congrats for winning the prize of being the most ridiculous. Btw, you'll know that Haring could cover centre half if it was needed.

3 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Good point, unless some pregnancies/births deviate from the timings proclaimed by you and your other half. 

Shirley not.

3 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

we are a laughing stock. The BBC shit should be cancelled.

however the OPs post - why is this a problem? The guys having a baby so fair enough. 
he shouldn’t of been near the bench if she was close to birth but that’s just par for the course with HMFC these days

Amazing how some people don’t get the OP

Its not the fact he left to be with his Mrs, congrats and all that, it’s the fact that someone at the club had zero foresight and actually put him on the bench. 

Easiest thing would have been give him the day off and put someone else on bench in his place. 

Imagine the uproar if he’d had to come on in first half then we had to use another sub to replace him to let him go to be with his Mrs. 

9 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Amazing how some people don’t get the OP

Its not the fact he left to be with his Mrs, congrats and all that, it’s the fact that someone at the club had zero foresight and actually put him on the bench. 

Easiest thing would have been give him the day off and put someone else on bench in his place. 

Imagine the uproar if he’d had to come on in first half then we had to use another sub to replace him to let him go to be with his Mrs. 

I think this is a thread that deviates from the real issues with our team. Do you think if it was an Aberdeen player or Motherwell player on their bench it would have been any different? I don’t. Emergencies happen. 

Edited by GinRummy

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think this is a thread that deviates from the real issues with our team. Do you think if it was an Aberdeen player or Motherwell player on their bench it would have been any different? I don’t. Emergencies happen. 

Correct.

Of all the many many sticks fans can rightfully beat the club with, this barely qualifies as a twig.

In fact there's a reasonable argument that the team's chances of winning improve if old 'Bombscare' is nowhere near Tyncastle. :whistling:

But it's no surprise to learn kickback is hoaching with obstetrics experts.

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

we are a laughing stock. The BBC shit should be cancelled.

however the OPs post - why is this a problem? The guys having a baby so fair enough. 
he shouldn’t of been near the bench if she was close to birth but that’s just par for the course with HMFC these days

Care to explain how we are a laughing stock

Fultonsleftpeg
6 hours ago, Pagey said:

on a day of ridiculous threads, congrats for winning the prize of being the most ridiculous. Btw, you'll know that Haring could cover centre half if it was needed.

Never quite understood why we need Berra and Haring on the bench. Haring can cover both roles and gives us another attacking option on the bench. Anyway hope everything went well for the Berra’s.

8 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Care to explain how we are a laughing stock

because we are in the championship and can’t beat the likes of Morton at home with an expensively assembled squad which is allegedly coached.

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

An employee leaves his work early to be at the birth of his child. A "fan£ complains.

A new low for JKB.

Aye, if Berra had played we'd have one 3-0, add in Wighton staying- 5-0.

Are folk ****ing mental?

Budge oot, Robbie oot, How dare they let a father witness the birth of his child.

****ing worse thing I've heard on the internet. 

Spot on. Congrats to the berras

35 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Best wishes to Christophe.

sounds like an emergency situation leaving your workplace early

I wish a football club was like a normal workplace where non performance triggers a disciplinary procedure which can result in dismissal

20 minutes ago, lou said:

I wish a football club was like a normal workplace where non performance triggers a disciplinary procedure which can result in dismissal

There wouldn’t be anyone left at that rate

If the baby was due yesterday, or today, and Berra wanted to be at the birth, it seems odd to have named him on the bench.  It is right to let him dash off,  but we should not have put him and the team in that position. 

If the baby was early, so unexpected, then nothing wrong has been done.   

Either way, I am more bothered about the performances of late.   

Corstorphine Jambo

Personally, it’s not something that concerns me. And it probably sums up Berra at Hearts just now - simply making up the numbers.

lost in space

He should not have been on the bench anyway. As noted above we had Haring on the bench. Should have had Wighton on the bench....................

2 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Congratulations on the birth and not having to watch the second half.   Very thoughtful wife

Only post worth reading on this thread.  

9 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

All births are different and just because your children took a while doesn't mean all are the same. 

Ex member of the SaS

No problem with him being at the birth etc and hope all are doing well ,BUT I can see where the op is coming from, IF the baby was due anytime soon he should not have been on the bench. If the birth was a week or more away and it started early then fair do's.

It's poor management to have him on the bench if there was any chance the baby was due. No fault of Berra's but a big mistake by the manager.

Neil Dongcaster

All the best to the Berra’s. Having a new baby in the house is a magical time.

There’s legitimate reasons to have a go at the management team. This isn’t one.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

3 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

All the best to the Berra’s. Having a new baby in the house is a magical time.

There’s legitimate reasons to have a go at the management team. This isn’t one.

Correct. 

13 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Apparently left the match at half time, despite being a sub, because his missus went into labour. Congratulations to them both. 

Brings me to another point. How on earth is this acceptable from us? If Berra was so expendable that we could just let him leave a game at half time, why was he on the bench to begin with? Staggeringly unprofessional from Hearts here. 

So was he supposed to miss the birth of his child so he could sit and watch Greenock Morton? 
I dont see the problem. He must have got a call and the club let him go as would any other half reasonable employer.

But...

LETS MAKE A BIG FECKIN DEAL OUT OF THIS TRIVIAL PISH BECAUSE THERES NOT ENOUGH BULLSHIT GOING ON JUST NOW AT HEARTS!!!

JKB is getting right on my tits these days!

13 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

It's actually laughable with Halliday now. 

Just does what the **** he wants and chats away about his beloved gers. 

6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

It's actually laughable with Halliday now. 

Just does what the **** he wants and chats away about his beloved gers. 

He seems to be doing VAR at West Ham as well. 😀

18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So was he supposed to miss the birth of his child so he could sit and watch Greenock Morton? 
I dont see the problem. He must have got a call and the club let him go as would any other half reasonable employer.

But...

LETS MAKE A BIG FECKIN DEAL OUT OF THIS TRIVIAL PISH BECAUSE THERES NOT ENOUGH BULLSHIT GOING ON JUST NOW AT HEARTS!!!

JKB is getting right on my tits these days!

Have they changed the rules on Dad's being at the births of a child? Genuine question.

4 hours ago, Paolo said:

If the baby was due yesterday, or today, and Berra wanted to be at the birth, it seems odd to have named him on the bench.  It is right to let him dash off,  but we should not have put him and the team in that position. 

If the baby was early, so unexpected, then nothing wrong has been done.   

Either way, I am more bothered about the performances of late.   

Does this explain why Frear suddenly apopeared in the warm up when not on the original teamsheet?

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Does this explain why Frear suddenly apopeared in the warm up when not on the original teamsheet?

Better eyesight than me. 👓