RIP Ian Gibson (Gib/Gibby)

lost in leith

lost in leith

When we get back to Tynecastle section D of the Wheatfield won’t be the same without the legend that was Gib, who passed away last weekend.

Gib was a fixture in the Wheatfield from the start, and in the enclosure before that.  He was also a regular at away games including many European trips.  He endured the near misses of the 80s and 90s, but that just made the Scottish Cup win in 1998 all the sweeter.   We may have had a few beers over that extended weekend…

Gib worked at Standard Life for over 30 years.  He was a great guy to work with, a dangerous man to drink with and one of the friendliest, funniest people you could ever hope to meet. 

The funeral is on Friday.  In an ideal world all his friends would be there to support Gail and Lynsey, and to give the old boy the riotous send off he deserves.   We can’t do that yet.  However, we can remember him as he was – sitting with a beer in his hand and a twinkle in his eye as he told yet another terrible joke, but with such great delivery that you laughed even if you had heard it before!

To try to give everyone the chance to pay their respects the funeral cortège will be passing Tynecastle at 11.00 am on Friday 26th February (it will go down McLeod St past the Foundation of Hearts Plaza which gives plenty of scope for social distancing).

The family have set up a donation page for Cancer Research UK in memory of Gib should you wish to make a donation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Iangibsonakagib

RIP my old friend - gone but never forgotten

They don’t make them like Gib anymore. A one of a kind that will be truly missed by everyone lucky enough to cross paths with him.

Will never hear an awful “dad joke” without thinking of the great man

McGlynn The Money
1 hour ago, lost in leith said:

When we get back to Tynecastle section D of the Wheatfield won’t be the same without the legend that was Gib, who passed away last weekend.

Gib was a fixture in the Wheatfield from the start, and in the enclosure before that.  He was also a regular at away games including many European trips.  He endured the near misses of the 80s and 90s, but that just made the Scottish Cup win in 1998 all the sweeter.   We may have had a few beers over that extended weekend…

Gib worked at Standard Life for over 30 years.  He was a great guy to work with, a dangerous man to drink with and one of the friendliest, funniest people you could ever hope to meet. 

The funeral is on Friday.  In an ideal world all his friends would be there to support Gail and Lynsey, and to give the old boy the riotous send off he deserves.   We can’t do that yet.  However, we can remember him as he was – sitting with a beer in his hand and a twinkle in his eye as he told yet another terrible joke, but with such great delivery that you laughed even if you had heard it before!

To try to give everyone the chance to pay their respects the funeral cortège will be passing Tynecastle at 11.00 am on Friday 26th February (it will go down McLeod St past the Foundation of Hearts Plaza which gives plenty of scope for social distancing).

The family have set up a donation page for Cancer Research UK in memory of Gib should you wish to make a donation:

Sad news mate. Did he used to go on the Orwell bus?

lost in leith
11 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Sad news mate. Did he used to go on the Orwell bus?

Don't think so mate.  Might have happened occasionally but he tended to go by car or minibus with pals from work most of the time.

McGlynn The Money
1 minute ago, lost in leith said:

Don't think so mate.  Might have happened occasionally but he tended to go by car or minibus with pals from work most of the time.

Cheers mate. Just knew a few guys from Standard Life who went on the Orwell bus back in the day.

lost in leith
44 minutes ago, Miko said:

They don’t make them like Gib anymore. A one of a kind that will be truly missed by everyone lucky enough to cross paths with him.

Will never hear an awful “dad joke” without thinking of the great man

Spot on.  Lots of folk can tell a great joke badly.  Gib could tell a terrible joke but do it so well you still ended up creasing yourself!

lost in leith
2 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Cheers mate. Just knew a few guys from Standard Life who went on the Orwell bus back in the day.

Sure we have a few friends in common then as I worked there 1990-2019.  Gib worked there until 2003/4. 

Gibby and Gail sit behind me in section D , and we have had some good banter over the years. I knew he had been unwell for some time, so sorry to hear this sad news, my deepest condolences to Gail and the family, very sad news indeed.

13 hours ago, lost in leith said:

Such sad news.  Lovely piece that sums Gib up as well as anybody could.   It was a pleasure to have known him over the years and will be sadly missed and never forgotten.  Thoughts are with Gail and the family.

RIP Gib (loved the jokes)   

Gib worked in the Legal Depth of Standard Life. Every time I took a complicated case up to see him about we spent 5 times as much time talking about the Hearts instead. Gem of a guy RIP.

3 minutes ago, credit card said:

Gib worked in the Legal Depth of Standard Life. Every time I took a complicated case up to see him about we spent 5 times as much time talking about the Hearts instead. Gem of a guy RIP.

That’s how work should be. Didn’t know him but sounds like he was a good Hearts man. 

Knew Gibbie from the early 70's when he used to play as a ringer for EU Commerce Association in winning the inter mural league - a classy defender, great fun and a real gentleman.

He attended section D even after receiving his terminal diagnosis and always remained positive.

My favourite memory was of meeting Gail and him in Prague following the Hearts but certainly not doctor's orders. He had a big boot on his infected foot and had been instructed not to fly or drink. He  blithely ignored that advice as HMFC was always more important.

Rest in Peace big man and condolences to Gail and family.

You will be deeply missed!

4 hours ago, acmt said:

Knew Gibbie from the early 70's when he used to play as a ringer for EU Commerce Association in winning the inter mural league - a classy defender, great fun and a real gentleman.

He attended section D even after receiving his terminal diagnosis and always remained positive.

My favourite memory was of meeting Gail and him in Prague following the Hearts but certainly not doctor's orders. He had a big boot on his infected foot and had been instructed not to fly or drink. He  blithely ignored that advice as HMFC was always more important.

Rest in Peace big man and condolences to Gail and family.

You will be deeply missed!

That's fantastic.  

Gib is my brother-in-law, Hearts daft, him and Gail have a spare bedroom which is not a spare bedroom, it's a mini Hearts museum with lots of 'exhibits'  going back to the 50's and beyond. Always loved visiting him as his greeting of choice was "what are you drinking?".  He was loved by everyone who knew him and will be sorely missed. RIP Gib, I'll see you at Tynie on Friday. 

If it's Gail who sits in row 19, they sit a few seats to my right. They once sat next to me at a Cup match, as their seats had been allocated. Gail warned me that I might hear her during the game. I said not to worry, as I had heard her since the Wheatfield opened. They both laughed, and have always said hello since. A lovely couple, RIP Ian.🇱🇻🇱🇻

Some good stories there and always sad to hear the passing of a good Hearts man.

Didnt know Gib but i do recall having an afternoon sitting outside a bar beside the Mallorca stadium in 98 with a couple from Craigleith that sound like Gib an Gail, is that where he stayed ?

lost in leith
21 hours ago, dryJTlaw said:

Some good stories there and always sad to hear the passing of a good Hearts man.

Didnt know Gib but i do recall having an afternoon sitting outside a bar beside the Mallorca stadium in 98 with a couple from Craigleith that sound like Gib an Gail, is that where he stayed ?

He did stay in Craigleith, and they were in Mallorca for the game so I'm sure that would have been them.

5 hours ago, lost in leith said:

He did stay in Craigleith, and they were in Mallorca for the game so I'm sure that would have been them.

Yeh i had a look at his pic on just giving and yes looks familiar.

Me an 2 mates had decided day before the game to walk up to the stadium to watch the players training, we were early so sat an had a few beers in the sun. Along came this couple with same idea so one thing led to another and by the time bus arrived we were all smashed and missed the players getting off.

Remembered the Craigleith bit cause we were all from Drylaw, cant believe weve never crossed paths again in the last 23years following the famous.

RIP Gib, thoughts with Gail and family.