what is wrong with our 5 wingers

wattie exploited

TheOnlyWayis51
8 hours ago, Ribble said:

We didn’t decide to let him go, he didn’t want to try and compete with Hickey so decided to leave

Fair enough then, but we should have done what we can to keep him. Money if needs be - now we have neither young, talented player.

Youth is where a renaissance for a team who are below where they should be starts - it gives the team that vital spark to move forward. If GMS doesn't end up doing the business for us this season then he never will again in the top flight.

It's a piss take that we were demoted in the first place, but we can/could have used it to invest in young talent who we can mould and bed into the team ready to take on the Premiership next time around. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wattie exploited

• colinmaroon

• wavydavy

• OldGorgie

23 hours ago, assessor said:

The only player who has looked good out wide apart from Ginnelly in patches is Aidy White.

And he is really a full back.

On 20/02/2021 at 18:15, Neil Dongcaster said:

The problem is clearly the system and the coaching.

Not a winger but look at McEneff today. Started with an absolute spark and faded to the same standard as Halliday etc.

We go through too many players for it to be a player issue.

Brilliant!

Faded?  Hasn't played a full game since Dec 7.  When Halliday went off he dropped back, almost certainly also so that he didn't end up with a hamstring or whatever running box to box.

Don't let any of that interrupt your irrational conclusion though.

Neil Dongcaster
9 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Brilliant!

Faded?  Hasn't played a full game since Dec 7.  When Halliday went off he dropped back, almost certainly also so that he didn't end up with a hamstring or whatever running box to box.

That isn’t what causes hamstring injuries.

:vrface:

2 hours ago, TheOnlyWayis51 said:

Fair enough then, but we should have done what we can to keep him. Money if needs be - now we have neither young, talented player.

Youth is where a renaissance for a team who are below where they should be starts - it gives the team that vital spark to move forward. If GMS doesn't end up doing the business for us this season then he never will again in the top flight.

It's a piss take that we were demoted in the first place, but we can/could have used it to invest in young talent who we can mould and bed into the team ready to take on the Premiership next time around. 

There are many sticks to beat the club with, allowing Doig to leave when he didn’t have the drive to compete with a younger player at Hearts and instead sticking with Hickey certainly isn’t one of them.

Doig is the latest to be overhyped at fester road, all he’s achieved thus far in his career is to be marginally better the Louis Stevenson ffs

2 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

That isn’t what causes hamstring injuries.

:vrface:

Your answer says it all! 

Marinating a high level 90+ minutes of the first half kind of runs, with short high intensity sprints from standing starts would never, ever cause a hamstring industry, especially when not fully match fit?

Of course it wouldn't!!! 

You know as little about the human body as you do about football.

Edited by colinmaroon

Neil Dongcaster
6 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Your answer says it all! 

Marinating a high level 90+ minutes of the first half kind of runs, with short high intensity sprints from standing starts would never, ever cause a hamstring industry, especially when not fully match fit?

Of course it wouldn't!!! 

You know as little about the human body as you do about football.

For a religious man you are not  the most tolerant of people are you? Why the tone of your post?

McEneff faded in the first half. If there were serious concerns about his fitness or potential injury then he should have subbed. From what I seen he was still able to move pretty well towards the later stages of the game.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

2 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

For a religious man you are not  the most tolerant of people are you? Why the tone of your post?

McEneff faded in the first half. If there were serious concerns about his fitness or potential injury then he should have subbed. From what I seen he was still able to move pretty well towards the later stages of the game.

Oh the old religious ploy.

I'm actually a bit like Jesus when it comes to fools.  Read a "red letter" Gospel in the New Testament. 

If I see an idiotic comment like your original reply, namely you can't do a hamstring by making sudden, sustained forward runs, then the waffle of this response is a poor attempt at a sensible reply.

Again, he was not match fit enough to sustain that for 90 mins and to say that  that for a combination of that and tactical reasons  means he shouldn't have been playing is idiotic.

He now has 90 minutes under his belt and that's a step forwards for most if not for you.

There's nothing wrong with a system that allows two wingers to play wide.  It's down to the indivudual.  Ginnelly has the quality to beat a man on the outside or cut inside and have strikes at goal.  Not sure why the others are finding this so difficult.  

Neil Dongcaster
13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Oh the old religious ploy.

I'm actually a bit like Jesus when it comes to fools.  Read a "red letter" Gospel in the New Testament. 

If I see an idiotic comment like your original reply, namely you can't do a hamstring by making sudden, sustained forward runs, then the waffle of this response is a poor attempt at a sensible reply.

Again, he was not match fit enough to sustain that for 90 mins and to say that  that for a combination of that and tactical reasons  means he shouldn't have been playing is idiotic.

He now has 90 minutes under his belt and that's a step forwards for most if not for you.

Judge not, that you be not judged Colin. The religious comment isn’t a ploy and as for insinuating people are fools for seeing things a little differently. To me the logic you apply doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. 

Firstly, McEneff was not playing deep. For the last 20 minutes he was outside the Morton penalty area as were most of our players.

Secondly, you suggest that McEneff could not make sudden, sustained forward runs due to fear of injury. Can I ask what the difference between sudden forward runs are compared to sideways or runs towards our own goal? I suspect turning sharply and running backwards would probably represent far higher injury risk.

I also don’t think you understand what ‘match fit’ means. Match fit has nothing to do with physicality. It’s a mental fatigue / rustiness. Much of sport is rep after reps after reps. 

As for the 90 minutes game time. You see this as a benefit and potentially it is a benefit. However, if the culture of a team isn’t right you also run the risk of turning good players into indifferently performing players. I’m not suggesting this will happen with McEneff over the medium term, I think he has fantastic attributes that we have been lacking for a long time, however it is naive to suggest that it isn’t a risk.

It seems like Kastaneer and GMS are another 2 extremely poor signings. I expect nothing less nowadays.  Our players are being sourced by a Tupperwear club.

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It seems like Kastaneer and GMS are another 2 extremely poor signings. I expect nothing less nowadays.  Our players are being sourced by a Tupperwear club.

Careful you are starting to make sense. Most of our wing attacks come from the two full backs who have no problem getting into space end beating opposition defenders. However recent signings of wingers have been disappointing- Roberts (binned already), while  Frear , GMS and Kastaneer play like clapped out Donkeys. 

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

There's nothing wrong with a system that allows two wingers to play wide.  It's down to the indivudual.  Ginnelly has the quality to beat a man on the outside or cut inside and have strikes at goal.  Not sure why the others are finding this so difficult.  

That’s the question that RN and his staff have to answer.

The wingers are guff was looking forward to GMS he has showing nothing Frear, Roberts ,Henderson, are terrible the Dutch boy I would give him more time wouldn't right him off after two games.  

Playing two wingers then a 10 behind a lone forward in Boyce isn't working and its dire to watch. I would rather see a 4.3.3 or a basic 4.4.2 

We don't have the players to play this fancy formation their not good enough and haven't a clue. the defence is just as bad.  

There is about 5/6 players I would keep going forward into next season I can't see us letting 10 players go and singing 10 new players within the summer it will be a bottom 6 avoiding relegation will be a success for next season.  

ToadKiller Dog

Ginely was  the only one with genuine pace ,Kastaneer I will give time yet ,he has a bit of strength and should be allowed to be a bit more direct  .

GMS is trying not just our patience ,seems to miss that wee bit of zip he had before ,so far off the pace  .

Frear I think was just signed to make up numbers ,maybe OK last 20 mins in games we expected to have already won but recently ain't doing that  .

Roberts can't believe how poor he has been.

Fxxx the SPFL

my eyesight is not the best and thought the thread said 'what's wrong with our Swingers' and i instantly thought oops problems in the boardroom. :whistling:

3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Judge not, that you be not judged Colin. The religious comment isn’t a ploy and as for insinuating people are fools for seeing things a little differently. To me the logic you apply doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. 

Firstly, McEneff was not playing deep. For the last 20 minutes he was outside the Morton penalty area as were most of our players.

Secondly, you suggest that McEneff could not make sudden, sustained forward runs due to fear of injury. Can I ask what the difference between sudden forward runs are compared to sideways or runs towards our own goal? I suspect turning sharply and running backwards would probably represent far higher injury risk.

I also don’t think you understand what ‘match fit’ means. Match fit has nothing to do with physicality. It’s a mental fatigue / rustiness. Much of sport is rep after reps after reps. 

As for the 90 minutes game time. You see this as a benefit and potentially it is a benefit. However, if the culture of a team isn’t right you also run the risk of turning good players into indifferently performing players. I’m not suggesting this will happen with McEneff over the medium term, I think he has fantastic attributes that we have been lacking for a long time, however it is naive to suggest that it isn’t a risk.

The original point, which you have buried under a load of waffle, was that you stated, in response to the possibility of doing a hamstring by maintaining his first half performance, that I knew nothing about hamstring injuries/they don't happen that way - that was your obvious inference.

Instead of agreeing that, in fact, it is possible to do a hamstring, especially if you are lacking match fitness (which includes physical condition as well as the sharpness mentally), you turned a simple point into War and Peace and, even there, your point about McEneff being outside their box as if that meant he wasn't playing deeper, goes against that fact and the stated observation of everybody else who commented on it.

It is obviously a complete waste of my time allowing you to flounder around trying to justify the statement that he couldn't do a hamstring if he tried to maintain his first half box-to-box performance. 

wattie exploited
21 hours ago, grumpyespana said:

And he is really a full back.

no he use to play on the wing years ago :rifle: 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 20/02/2021 at 10:25, baron of ness said:

As a winger you need space to run into, with teams playing eleven behind the ball it's hard.

Agreed. I really think we should just say feck it and go route 1 against these teams.

Forget trying to play a passing game and play the percentages game, especially with the big lad in the team now. The ball's just going to get launched back at us so it's not exactly a risky strategy.  Christ, put Halkett and Gnaduilett up front with Boyce. Or Gnanduillet, Boyce and GMS - Clark, Robbo and JC style. Long balls to the big striker and get onto his knock downs.

I admire Neilson trying to play patient build-up football but why bother when the opposition most of the time has zero intention?

Edited by ToqueJambo

wattie exploited
10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

think GMS was a great player at aberdeeen and celtic  you just dont get crap overnight although so far he hasnt shown anything apart from his first game for us am hoping he will come good :rifle:

On 20/02/2021 at 18:57, Robbo-Jambo said:

How can a manager sign five wingers and not get a decent return out of any of them. 

Total incompetence from a man who is not doing his job right. 

Simple as that really. 

Have a look on the Hearts website .,,,,,, squad page. All 5 of them are described as "midfield" !!      Did you ever see Jimmy Johnstone, Davie Cooper or Ryan Giggs play in "midfield" ?      Our guys seem to be getting told to sit deep to receive the ball,  but  the other team quickly put 2 of their midfield players around him - so he can't get space to  build up speed.    Hopeless tactic. :arghh:

wattie exploited
23 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

That’s the question that RN and his staff have to answer.

Ginnelly is the only winger that actually when he did play could take his man on and beat him the rest just seen to get the ball and pass it back the way but I still like gsm will come good as for the rest shut the door on the way out :rifle: 

On 21/02/2021 at 18:08, Dagger Is Back said:

We scored yesterday as a result of getting to the bye line. It wasn’t a winger that did that.

Lots of wingers are confidence players and they tend to be inconsistent.

Ours look short of confidence in terms of taking men on. GMS as an example was one on one yesterday and turned round looking for a pass to Kingsley instead of having a go.

If it is confidence he needs to get it sorted as the WF will rip him a new one if he doesn’t produce.

They seem to want to cut inside which I just don’t get. That’s where all the traffic is.

Why don’t they have that confidence, if it is indeed that, and how are the coaches helping them?

If it’s not confidence and tactical then we need to get the shackles off and let players play to their strengths and not shoehorn them into some kind of FIFA Manager inspired set up.

In saying that, GMS has lost a yard of pace

With the amount of players we've signed over the last few years there's obviously something in training and coaching that's not been working. There is no way that that amount of players should turn into bad players unless they are all coached as robots, effecting their talent, ability & confidence. The same thing is happening again only this time it's against lesser clubs. Young defender Hamilton is out on loan and being coached into yet another defensive midfielder apparently. We have plenty of them and not enough defenders. It seems we want to turn most players into defensive midfielders and full-backs into wing-backs for some reason. It must be this decade's trend. Your point on GMS....i think he could walk away from Hearts right now and make an important impact in another team, no problem. Others like Frear should never have been signed in the first place, especially as we have been crying out for a defender for Berra's position and had cover on that left side with White and Moore anyway, two players that get a wage and make little to no impact as they rarely get game-time. They can't make an impact even if they wanted to if they're not getting games. For me it's all too samey-samey everytime we sign players. One goes, another appears and 3/4 months down the line, they start to regress.

Upfront, is Gnandulliet any better or worse than Wighton? Or even Ikpeazu? They are all slightly different but none look like major goalscorers so what's the point? Wighton has pace....and not a lot else. Ikpeazu worked his arse of for the team but didn't score loads. Gnadulliet, from what i've seen of him so far might be a goalscorer but his work-rate seems suspect. Again, could be lack of fitness. (Actually there's a pattern there when it comes to signing players....they're all apparently not up to fitness level).  Kingsley, Halliday, Kastanneer, GMS and others have all said they aren't fully fit when interviewed. Will they ever be?

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Kingsley, Halliday, Kastanneer, GMS and others have all said they aren't fully fit when interviewed.

Surprised that Kingsley said that as he’s one of the few players we have that can run the length of the pitch and then cross the ball. Halliday is frustrating to watch as he could be much better but he looks like he would rather be somewhere else

The problem is the Tynecastle pitch, it is far too narrow to allow wingers space and when they do beat a FB they encounter a CB.

Too narrow for wingers so need to adapt tactics accordingly.  GMS looked fine when playing at Parkhead and Pittodrie so what is his problem at Tynecastle.

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

With the amount of players we've signed over the last few years there's obviously something in training and coaching that's not been working. There is no way that that amount of players should turn into bad players unless they are all coached as robots, effecting their talent, ability & confidence. The same thing is happening again only this time it's against lesser clubs. Young defender Hamilton is out on loan and being coached into yet another defensive midfielder apparently. We have plenty of them and not enough defenders. It seems we want to turn most players into defensive midfielders and full-backs into wing-backs for some reason. It must be this decade's trend. Your point on GMS....i think he could walk away from Hearts right now and make an important impact in another team, no problem. Others like Frear should never have been signed in the first place, especially as we have been crying out for a defender for Berra's position and had cover on that left side with White and Moore anyway, two players that get a wage and make little to no impact as they rarely get game-time. They can't make an impact even if they wanted to if they're not getting games. For me it's all too samey-samey everytime we sign players. One goes, another appears and 3/4 months down the line, they start to regress.

Upfront, is Gnandulliet any better or worse than Wighton? Or even Ikpeazu? They are all slightly different but none look like major goalscorers so what's the point? Wighton has pace....and not a lot else. Ikpeazu worked his arse of for the team but didn't score loads. Gnadulliet, from what i've seen of him so far might be a goalscorer but his work-rate seems suspect. Again, could be lack of fitness. (Actually there's a pattern there when it comes to signing players....they're all apparently not up to fitness level).  Kingsley, Halliday, Kastanneer, GMS and others have all said they aren't fully fit when interviewed. Will they ever be?

Can't disagree with any of this.

I think one of the major issues that have been around for quite some time is signing a player for a specific role and then not playing a style of game that suits them best.

For example when you have a penalty box striker he should spend as much time as possible in and around the penalty box not drfiting back towards the halfway line looking for the ball.

When you have a winger that like to attack full backs and put in crosses then he should not be receiving the ball whilst running back towards his own halfway line and his back to the defender marking him as we do constantly.

When you have a box to box midfielder you dont play him as a defensive one.

When you play teams with part time players you don't play the game at a pedestrian pace as we do. The ball should be getting moved around at pace and running these team ragged as they should not be a fit as us.

These are my observations and thoughts on why we have gone through so many different players without significantly changing our style of play or performances.

Finally why are these players you mention not fully fit?  Are they carrying injuries or is it just beacuse they are not working hard enough in training?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

What’s the story with Aidy White? He’s at least direct and has pace - shown more this season than all our wingers other than Ginnelly.

Is he injured?

20 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Have a look on the Hearts website .,,,,,, squad page. All 5 of them are described as "midfield" !!      Did you ever see Jimmy Johnstone, Davie Cooper or Ryan Giggs play in "midfield" ?      Our guys seem to be getting told to sit deep to receive the ball,  but  the other team quickly put 2 of their midfield players around him - so he can't get space to  build up speed.    Hopeless tactic. :arghh:

Have to agree with you. Our slow build-up play means that when GMS or other wingers get the ball they instantly have two defenders on them. When we getting them running behind defences things will happen (Smith should have scored from GMS cross on Saturday when for once he had a clear run behind the defence).

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What’s the story with Aidy White? He’s at least direct and has pace - shown more this season than all our wingers other than Ginnelly.

Is he injured?

Yes.

wattie exploited
On 22/02/2021 at 22:39, Lone Striker said:

I always thought wingers were strikers they seen to drop back far to far when the other team hoof the ball up the other end has to be robbies shit set up and the fact a couple of them are crap :rifle:

23 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

The problem is the Tynecastle pitch, it is far too narrow to allow wingers space and when they do beat a FB they encounter a CB.

Too narrow for wingers so need to adapt tactics accordingly.  GMS looked fine when playing at Parkhead and Pittodrie so what is his problem at Tynecastle.

To be fair, he played pretty well at Tynecastle for his old clubs. For me you only need one winger in a team, not two. Think back to McDonald...Colquhoun was the only real winger. Under Jeffries, McCann was played as a winger if the formation changed from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2. As i said in another post...GMS used to always have support from his midfield getting forward and strikers moving defenders about to create space. At Hearts he's pretty much having to do all the wing stuff himself, take on players (who double up on him) and try to get the ball in the box. No point though as any forwards we have are sitting about in midfield covering for the midfielders that seem to be playing as extra defenders. He looks round in frustration at his team-mates after nearly every move. 

23 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Can't disagree with any of this.

I think one of the major issues that have been around for quite some time is signing a player for a specific role and then not playing a style of game that suits them best.

For example when you have a penalty box striker he should spend as much time as possible in and around the penalty box not drfiting back towards the halfway line looking for the ball.

When you have a winger that like to attack full backs and put in crosses then he should not be receiving the ball whilst running back towards his own halfway line and his back to the defender marking him as we do constantly.

When you have a box to box midfielder you dont play him as a defensive one.

When you play teams with part time players you don't play the game at a pedestrian pace as we do. The ball should be getting moved around at pace and running these team ragged as they should not be a fit as us.

These are my observations and thoughts on why we have gone through so many different players without significantly changing our style of play or performances.

Finally why are these players you mention not fully fit?  Are they carrying injuries or is it just beacuse they are not working hard enough in training?

Yes, i'm all for playing players in their natural position and letting them concentrate on what they are best at. You know what you're getting. The constant switching and trying to change a players natural thought process as a footballer does my nut in. In McDonald's days, you knew Colquhoun was going to terrorize an opponent left-back, you knew Robbo was in the box with Clark lurking about waiting to get the ball to him as quick as possible. You knew what Berry was doing sitting holding in front of the defence, Mackay passing about the park and Kenny Black supporting the forwards from left midfield. Same could be said for Jeffries strongest squad when three midfielders played to their strengths, Salvatori stopping attacks, Fulton the passer and Cameron the support from midfield upfront. It's all pretty straight forward yet for some reason all wingers have to partly defend now (i remember Levein saying young McDonald has to learn to defend, no idea why, Colquhoun didn't in the team Levein played in), all fullbacks have to be wingers, it's ruined football as a spectacle. 

Your final point....i think a lot of the injuries they're carrying is down to not doing enough general training/stretching. I saw a video a few days back where the players are passing the ball back and forward from about 10 yards of each other, and not a lot more. In the Dads army team in the early 80s, players like Jimmy Bone, Willie Johnston, Donald Park and McDonald himself were rarely injured throughout a season. Sandy Jardine played on at Hearts 'til he was about 39! Now we're talking about the likes of Mackay-Steven or Halliday being over the hill at 29/30! McDonald used to take them stamina training at Gullane sand dunes. It built their leg muscles up and got them as fit as they could at the start of the season. The one time Levein did this was pre-season of 2018-19 and we were top of the league after 8 or 9 games. Souttar said he was completely knackerd, he'd never done as much hard work ever in his career! I'd love to see what Halliday or GMS would be like after doing some actual physical work on the dunes!

Byyy The Light

Build up play is too slow and coming from the wrong angles.  The players aren't good/fast enough to face down 2 defenders.  Need to be running on to balls laid out wide from Boyce/Naismith and attacking the full back at pace rather than a standing start.

I'd also add in that generally defenders are far quicker and more athletic than they've ever been so skipping past the cloggers of old who used to shell the ball up the line isn't as easy as it once was.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 23/02/2021 at 06:15, OldGorgie said:

Surprised that Kingsley said that as he’s one of the few players we have that can run the length of the pitch and then cross the ball. Halliday is frustrating to watch as he could be much better but he looks like he would rather be somewhere else

We all know where that is 🤣

The problem is the system. If we switched to a 4-4-2 and used our full-backs in a supporting role with two strikers waiting in the box for crosses coming over, I'm sure our wingers would suddenly look  a good deal more creative and useful. 

2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

The problem is the system. If we switched to a 4-4-2 and used our full-backs in a supporting role with two strikers waiting in the box for crosses coming over, I'm sure our wingers would suddenly look  a good deal more creative and useful. 

Anyone who has watched the team this season would realise that the two full backs have been more active in attack than all the wingers put together.

3 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Anyone who has watched the team this season would realise that the two full backs have been more active in attack than all the wingers put together.

There is some truth in that. But again I think that is probably a by product of the system Robbie Neilson is playing. Playing 4-2-3-1 it tends to be the responsibility of the full backs to get forward and put crosses in. The 'wingers' cut inside more and link up with the striker. For a guy like GMS, for example, I'm not convinced that is the way to get the best out of him.

12 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

So why do our wingers consistently receive the ball on the half way line with their backs to goal and consistently find themselves in a 1v2 situation?

GMS has been disappointing but to expect any winger to thrive in those circumstances is unfair.

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

So why do our wingers consistently receive the ball on the half way line with their backs to goal and consistently find themselves in a 1v2 situation?

GMS has been disappointing but to expect any winger to thrive in those circumstances is unfair.

The short answer to that is they don’t. My recollection is watching both full backs charging into the opposition half and generally beating their man or crossing. Contrast with the wingers who usually trip over , look knackered or bottle it when a defender comes near them.

wattie exploited
On 23/02/2021 at 18:37, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is he injured?

he is fit again according to the papers :rifle:

4 hours ago, jr ewing said:

I wonder if anyone can play at right back?

The last I had read about this is Kingsley would be moved there if smith called up

for Ireland next month 

25 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

The last I had read about this is Kingsley would be moved there if smith called up

for Ireland next month 

Hoping Kastaneer could be persuaded.

12 hours ago, Newton51 said:

for Ireland next month 

By that point i would like to think we have the title pretty much in the bag and maybe we should just get by without a recognised right back for the last 7 games, or move Kingsley across?

Add Kingsley into this conversation. Not winger but as full back, particularly at Championchip level, be nice to see him attack people and be positive.

See Roberts getting praised in the media by his teammate Campbell. "Hardworking" and "direct running" were mentioned... Why didn't we see that? 😠