what is wrong with our 5 wingers

wattie exploited

wattie exploited

what is up with our five so called wingers 

I thought a winger was meant to be able to take men on and go past them and then get a cross in at the bye line but so far we don't seem to be getting this from any of our five so called wingers !

so far they have been a big disappointment and I would hate to see them if we get promoted against actual good teams !

the standard so far has been dire !!!!!:rifle:  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wattie exploited

• colinmaroon

• wavydavy

• OldGorgie

Neil Dongcaster

The problem is clearly the system and the coaching.

Not a winger but look at McEneff today. Started with an absolute spark and faded to the same standard as Halliday etc.

We go through too many players for it to be a player issue.

Our manager and poor coaches can't train and set up to get the best out of them...can't keep saying bad players year after year when will we start to ask the question about the club and how badly its getting run 

41 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

I thought a winger was meant to be able to take men on and go past them and then get a cross in at the bye line but so far we don't seem to be getting this from any of our five so called wingers !

so far they have been a big disappointment and I would hate to see them if we get promoted against actual good teams !

How can a manager sign five wingers and not get a decent return out of any of them. 

Total incompetence from a man who is not doing his job right. 

Simple as that really. 

1 hour ago, jamboman9 said:

They are guff.

Yes that’s correct also the system we play is just crap. 
Actually I don’t know what system we play 

Tokyo Drifter
1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

They're all rubbish except Jamie Walker, but nobody can really tell is he's a winger or not.

wattie exploited

would love to have some one like suso or miko back 

39 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

How can a manager sign five wingers and not get a decent return out of any of them. 

Total incompetence from a man who is not doing his job right. 

Simple as that really. 

gms has good history so he cant be total shit but so far he hasn't done  anything of note as for the others really they  couldn't beat a cold  never mind beat a man the best winger so far is injured and has a history of being injured  !:rifle:

Our best winger, and he not even a winger, is Adie White. Unlike the rest, he is brave, he runs directly at defenders and he cuts into the box with pace. Yes, he can lose possession and he doesn't have any fancy tricks, but he causes defenders to panic and kick out winning free kicks in dangerous areas and he did win us a penalty in the semi final. Neilson clearly doesn't rate him based on the number of fancy dans and charlatans that get selected in front of him. 

2 minutes ago, assessor said:

The only player who has looked good out wide apart from Ginnelly in patches is Aidy White.

Just seen your post - 100% spot on.

TheOnlyWayis51

Sickens me to say it as he went to them, but whoever let young Josh Doig go needs fired. Watching Sportscene and he got forward all the time, scored a good goal and got shots on target from out wide.

We need to look after and develop our youngsters better rather than rely on the likes of GMS who we've signed two or three years too late.

2 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Nah ! 

It's not the wingers it the system.

Spot on ,the Dutch lad got to the by line a couple of times and was having a half decent game got swapped over wings and started much further back and wasn’t seen again til the ball rolled under his foot 

2 hours ago, baron of ness said:

As a winger you need space to run into, with teams playing eleven behind the ball it's hard.

We are far too narrow we need to stretch the pitch and turn their full backs , our wingers receive the ball square on facing our goal they don’t play on the shoulder , too easy to defend they just don’t seem to have the freedom to play ,that particular honour is left to Naismith and Naismith alone 

“Better to play 3 at the back. Push Smith and Kingsley further forward, forget the wingers. Will he be strong enough to change the system? Doubt it. “

Yup... our wingers are shit ... push the wing backs forward.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Confidence crisis from being constantly slated on the internet?

Constantly slated because they have been constantly shite maybe? 🤔

In this league, our fullbacks should both be able to bomb forward all the time even in a four man defence. DCM drops back to cover if required. Liverpool style.

The constant tinkering and swapping positions might come from some Ajax Total Football documentary that Robbie watched but at our level and especially with lots of new players, we need to keep things simple.

Boyce and Gnanduillet in the box. Walker and Kastaneer supported by the fullbacks supplying crosses. Irving and McEneff providing the passes and the energy in the middle of the park.

McGlynn The Money
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Confidence crisis from being constantly slated on the internet?

Probably the opposite actually. Complacency from knowing that some people will blindly defend them on the internet no matter how much they are overpaid and underperform. 

You can't blame it on teams sitting in. Rangers and Celtic seem to be able to cope with that. We are playing the dross of the championship

Edited by MrBones

5 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Not a winger but look at McEneff today. Started with an absolute spark and faded to the same standard as Halliday etc.

There is a lot of truth in that post.  We have too many good players who appear to have lost confidence in, or an understanding of how, they have been asked to play.

There has to be a reason why we struggle to break teams down.  We don't seem to be able to pressurise these teams without leaving ourselves open at the back.

We focus on the pass, pass game which is fine for the likes of Manchester City, but gets us nowhere, and when we inevitably lose possession then we're in trouble.

Where are the flare players who will have the confidence to run with the ball, have a shot at goal rather than coping out by passing? Is this bring drummed out of them?

And as for two up front.....Boyce was anonymous today, again with little support. 

I could go on......

Voice of reason
8 minutes ago, MrBones said:

You can't blame it on teams sitting in. Rangers and Celtic seem to be able to cope with that. We are playing the dross of the championship

Rangers took 2 years to get out of the Championship. Hibs took 3. 

We created loads of chances today. Crossing and finishing practice for them all this week.

Been banging my head about this all day. 

For a winger to do his job he has to be allowed to get high & wide so he can take men on 1v1. I honestly think our system of playing inverted wingers is killing us. It works for some teams and some players but not for us. 
Mackay-Steven for example is a proven winger. Done well everywhere but we’re playing them too narrow meaning they have zero space to run into, especially when teams sit in. 
wingers let you switch the play to stretch the opposition, gaps appear, 1v1 opportunities. 

Our system limits them AND Boyce who is a proven scorer of crosses. 
RN wants the width to come from our full backs. 
Just my opinion but I’d rather have them support the wingers rather than asking a full back to be one. 

3 hours ago, qferryjam said:

Spot on ,the Dutch lad got to the by line a couple of times and was having a half decent game got swapped over wings and started much further back and wasn’t seen again til the ball rolled under his foot 

RN swapped them just after M-S had made a couple of decent runs too. 
crazy timing and both fell right out of the game. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Wingers these days don't run with the ball, jink, drop the shoulder, spin and turn, they don't have a drag back or trick, don't nutmeg or have any character, have freedom to play with imagination, off the cuff 

Nowadays they follow order's from spreadsheets, stats and bits of paper, they even wear tracking vests under their jersey's to record data 

Football games used to be won on the wing's with individual skills which have been coached out of the the modern game just like a striking partnership with tactics that bore the fans to sleep 

Could anybody name a top class out and out winger that skins full-backs for fun?

Give me a John Colquhoun, a Prentice or Neil McCann over these pretenders we have nowadays

We desperately need a personality to lighten up Tynecastle and a coach brave enough to encourage natural talent 

ScandinavianJambo
14 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

100%

StevenNaismith

Playing with two wingers rarely works at Tynecastle as the pitch is very narrow. Neilson knows this tho but still insists on it every feckin week.

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Give our manager and coaches Messi , Ronaldo and Maradona and they would turn them into urine

therein is the problem 

I doubt they could do much with Maradona.

14 hours ago, TheOnlyWayis51 said:

Sickens me to say it as he went to them, but whoever let young Josh Doig go needs fired. Watching Sportscene and he got forward all the time, scored a good goal and got shots on target from out wide.

We need to look after and develop our youngsters better rather than rely on the likes of GMS who we've signed two or three years too late.

We didn’t decide to let him go, he didn’t want to try and compete with Hickey so decided to leave

Ex member of the SaS

When a winger gets the ball and crosses the half way line he has to make instant choices. Does he keep going down the wing and have two or more challenging or does he get his head up and maybe a cross field diagonal to catch out the defense who are crowing him out.

We started ok with players pushing forward into the box so it was up to the wingers to spray the ball around and mix things up.

It's not always possible to get to the bye line so pass earlier and try to get the ball into the strikers.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

We didn’t decide to let him go, he didn’t want to try and compete with Hickey so decided to leave

That's as maybe but we should be more proactive with these kids and let them see they have a future, not just bring one on and leave the rest wondering if they will ever get a chance. Mix it up and show the young guys they have a future with us.

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

That's as maybe but we should be more proactive with these kids and let them see they have a future, not just bring one on and leave the rest wondering if they will ever get a chance. Mix it up and show the young guys they have a future with us.

If it was a choice between keeping Hickey or Doig happy I think we made the right choice. 

13 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Rangers took 2 years to get out of the Championship. Hibs took 3. 

We created loads of chances today. Crossing and finishing practice for them all this week.

Rangers took 2 years because we were in it and took the automatic spot and they blew the playoff.

Hibs took 3 years because Hearts and Rangers were in it.

We have nothing to worry about from any of the other teams, but the only reason we're clear is that other teams have cut each others throats because we've shared the available points with all of Dunfermline, Raith and Dundee...

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, davemclaren said:

If it was a choice between keeping Hickey or Doig happy I think we made the right choice. 

I agree Dave, but why should it be one or the other? We have a youth system to bring young guys on but are happy to get one and leave the rest to rot? Surely if you have four or five young players who look like making the grade you don't pick one and ignore the rest.

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I agree Dave, but why should it be one or the other? We have a youth system to bring young guys on but are happy to get one and leave the rest to rot? Surely if you have four or five young players who look like making the grade you don't pick one and ignore the rest.

I obviously don’t know the details but it is hard to keep everyone happy. 😎

19 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

This.

2 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Wingers tend to be young and fast. There's a reason Ronaldo stopped being a winger when he reached about 29.

He could probably still outpace most of our players.

Ginnelly - looks the bizz but had injury problems

Roberts - looked ok early doors but seldom got involved. Now used as a sub for well though. 
Frear - looked poor but the odd assist and a couple of goals. Not in squad. 
GMS - not show anything yet

Kastaneer - starts not bad but quickly fades

🥴

Dagger Is Back

We scored yesterday as a result of getting to the bye line. It wasn’t a winger that did that.

Lots of wingers are confidence players and they tend to be inconsistent.

Ours look short of confidence in terms of taking men on. GMS as an example was one on one yesterday and turned round looking for a pass to Kingsley instead of having a go.

If it is confidence he needs to get it sorted as the WF will rip him a new one if he doesn’t produce.

They seem to want to cut inside which I just don’t get. That’s where all the traffic is.

Why don’t they have that confidence, if it is indeed that, and how are the coaches helping them?

If it’s not confidence and tactical then we need to get the shackles off and let players play to their strengths and not shoehorn them into some kind of FIFA Manager inspired set up.

In saying that, GMS has lost a yard of pace