If not Neilson who?

Leveins Battalion

55 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

If your point is that Alex McDonald managed to call in favours, get some of his mates to sign for us, despite the fact that we’d been yo-yo’ing between the leagues for several years beforehand, were reduced to playing in front of crowds of 3-4 thousand, and were that skint that the players had to wash their own training gear. And, despite that he managed to turn us into a fantastic team, that brought on several home grown youngsters, nearly won the league and cup double, and made it to the quarter finals of the UEFA cup beating Bayern Munich at Tynecastle, then yes, there is no doubt that that guy was not a good manager, he was a fantastic manager.

If your point is comparing Alex McDonald to Robbie Neilson, whether it be in their managerial ability, or the circumstances they were operating in while managing Hearts then sorry, I’m having none of that.

My point was neither really, just pointing out a greater manager had shitter results.

Directly comparing managers from different eras is pretty difficult, never mind the circumstances within the club you rightly point out.  Walker, McDonald, and Jefferies all worked in wildly different times in general.

Nowadays even if we only made Hartley level signings we'd still get skelped by Bayern Munich.  For a Dundee Utd manager to equal/surpass Jim McLean in Europe, they'd pretty much need to be Jesus.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leveins Battalion

• Ethan Hunt

• Bazzas right boot

• The Grim Reaper

He thinks Mackay Stevens has been ok.Says it will take 5-7 games to show his form.Does he not realise that this involves improving game on game rather than suddenly turning it on in the 7th match?

We need a manager who can man manage the players. If we take Kilmarnock as an example. Steve Clarke came in and pretty much turned the same bunch of underachieving players into a very good team while he was there. In my opinion we have a decent spine of a team. Yes there are definitely areas that will need strengthened come the end of the season however we most definitely have on paper the best squad in this division by a long way. A manager who can get the players motivated and playing the right way is what we are needing. I don't think that Neilson is the man to do it. I do think that we'll be able to win the league with him in charge but I fear for next season with him in charge. Off the top of my head I don't have any new names that haven't already been mentioned but having seen the names mentioned there are definitely managers who fit the bill. It's whether Budge has the nerve to make the change. I don't think she does, so can't see a change coming.

Edited by dougal

On 20/02/2021 at 18:00, Leveins Battalion said:

Pretty clear from Kickback,****,Facebook and Twitter that’s Hearts fans are unanimous in wanting Robbie Neilson gone,but who is next in?

Stephen Robinson?

Callum Davidson?

Derick McInnes?

Jim Goodwin?

Unanimous.  

2 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Yesterday he was comparing footballers to musicians. He just makes shit up as he goes along.  

Obviously unlimited internet access in the Royal Ed.

7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Stevie Clarke. 

A name I could get behind but think he’d only leave Scotland job for the Old Firm or another go down South

letsalllaughathobos

Derek McInnes has done a good job at Aberdeen on half the cash we have available I think he would do a great job with us, 

Ford Prentice

Surely this is trolling.

DM has spent a lot of money, is on a massive wage, has a squad full of old players past their best, bottles it in cups and Aberdeen fans are desperate to see the back of him and the borefest their team has become.

Similar charges as are levelled at Robbie but he has the excuse of being not long in the door and still trying to construct a team. Write me off as a happy clapper but I'd much sooner give him more time than have McInnes anywhere near our club.

On 24/02/2021 at 23:54, ToqueJambo said:

Aberdeen have lost to such giants as Kairat, Rijeka, Maribor and Apollon Limassol in recent years. All deeply embarrassing defeats. None of them had taken a team like West Ham to penalties the year before playing Aberdeen from what I can see. Neilson at least has the excuse of being a complete beginner at European level.

Amazing. 

All those teams mentioned are better than Birkikara. 

1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Amazing. 

All those teams mentioned are better than Birkikara. 

This the same Birkirkara that took West Ham to penalties the year before?

They've also qualified for Europe again since that season, unlike us.

2 hours ago, letsalllaughathobos said:

Derek McInnes has done a good job at Aberdeen on half the cash we have available I think he would do a great job with us, 

Can you substantiate that with numbers

17 minutes ago, number-16 said:

This the same Birkirkara that took West Ham to penalties the year before?

They've also qualified for Europe again since that season, unlike us.

We drew at anfield and we were awful that year. Did you watch Birkikara and think they're decent? Doubt it, they were a gang. 

Maribor have played in the champions league group stage but aye, they're not as good as some Maltese part timers. 

They've qualified for Europe by finishing in the top 2/3 in the Maltese league. Not an achievement. 

6 hours ago, Ford Prentice said:

Surely this is trolling.

DM has spent a lot of money, is on a massive wage, has a squad full of old players past their best, bottles it in cups and Aberdeen fans are desperate to see the back of him and the borefest their team has become.

Similar charges as are levelled at Robbie but he has the excuse of being not long in the door and still trying to construct a team. Write me off as a happy clapper but I'd much sooner give him more time than have McInnes anywhere near our club.

Agree.

Robbie's record against Aberdeen when DM was in charge is played P6, W3, D1, L2.  Not checked for accuracy but nicked that from here https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/robbie-neilson/bilanz/trainer/31662/plus/1

Annoyingly his record against Hibs is P9, W2, D4, L3.  Against Rangers P5, W3, D1, L1. Less said about Celtic the better :(

Actually,  that could include his time as Dundee United manager so a pointless post from me.

Edited by damo

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

We drew at anfield and we were awful that year. Did you watch Birkikara and think they're decent? Doubt it, they were a gang. 

Maribor have played in the champions league group stage but aye, they're not as good as some Maltese part timers. 

They've qualified for Europe by finishing in the top 2/3 in the Maltese league. Not an achievement. 

Got to laugh at people talking up a team like Maribor in an effort to talk down our own manager. OK they've beaten Celtic and Aberdeen in two-leg ties but so has everyone else in Europe. Have they done what Birkikara did though and drew 1-1 on ave with an EPL team taking it to pens the year before they played us? I don't know but I'm sure our Maribor experts will tell us.

Edited by ToqueJambo

26 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Got to laugh at people talking up a team like Maribor in an effort to talk down our own manager. OK they've beaten Celtic and Aberdeen in two-leg ties but so has everyone else in Europe. Have they done what Birkikara did though and drew 1-1 on ave with an EPL team taking it to pens the year before they played us? I don't know but I'm sure our Maribor experts will tell us.

They have played in the champions league group stage. 

The Birkikara result was horrendous an I'm not even a Neilson hater. 

You are incredibly blinkered. We have drawn at anfield with an absolutely guff team. 

You really do need to take your maroon specs of at times. Birkikara are a definion of a minnow, Maribor are not. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

They have played in the champions league group stage. 

The Birkikara result was horrendous an I'm not even a Neilson hater. 

You are incredibly blinkered. We have drawn at anfield with an absolutely guff team. 

You really do need to take your maroon specs of at times. Birkikara are a definion of a minnow, Maribor are not. 

So we got beaten by a minnow in a cup. Wow. Like every season then! Like West Ham nearly were by the same team the year before which was my point. This was 5 years ago FFS. We've had worse results since. And as anyone who watched it knows we should have won that tie, we hit woodwork multiple times and missed a pen. For folk to suggest it was a worse result than Hibs 9-0 in Europe or some of the Aberdeen and OF ones. Come on!

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
On 25/02/2021 at 09:05, Ethan Hunt said:

I’ve no idea how I missed this gem! Our best performances was when the team was made up of non Neilson signings. Some defence of Neilson that!!!

Yer aff yer heid! I'm saying he's both got more out of existing players and made better signings than Stendel. Enjoy the game. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
On 25/02/2021 at 09:23, The Grim Reaper said:

Yesterday he was comparing footballers to musicians. He just makes shit up as he goes along.  

No I was comparing performing with no live audience. But you knew that you miserable sod.

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So we got beaten by a minnow in a cup. Wow. Like every season then! Like West Ham nearly were by the same team the year before which was my point. This was 5 years ago FFS. We've had worse results since. And as anyone who watched it knows we should have won that tie, we hit woodwork multiple times and missed a pen. For folk to suggest it was a worse result than Hibs 9-0 in Europe or some of the Aberdeen and OF ones. Come on!

All my point was it was a horrendous result and the results Aberdeen had were less embarrassing. Getting beat 7-0 at home is worse even though Malmo were decent. 

I do feel you're putting far too much emphasis on the result against West Ham. They finished 3rd in a part time league. 

We'll agree to disagree. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

All my point was it was a horrendous result and the results Aberdeen had were less embarrassing. Getting beat 7-0 at home is worse even though Malmo were decent. 

I do feel you're putting far too much emphasis on the result against West Ham. They finished 3rd in a part time league. 

We'll agree to disagree. 

I honestly wasn't embarrassed by that result any more than I've been embarrassed by our countless other defeats in cup competitions or other games, and Scottish teams tend not to do well in these early European games when we're barely into our pre-season. It's just a fact of cup football that shocks happen. I was at the home game. We dominated possession, created way more chances and were very unlucky in front of goal, hitting woodwork and missing a pen. The players looked rusty at times which I expected in July. 

been here before
On 20/02/2021 at 18:00, Leveins Battalion said:

Pretty clear from Kickback,****,Facebook and Twitter that’s Hearts fans are unanimous in wanting Robbie Neilson gone, but who is next in?

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Get him oooot.

Absoloute embarrassment.

Pretty clear, unanimous...

been here before
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Enjoy😎

Youll be enjoying this more than most as obviously youll be wanting them to lose so you can be right.

👍

Edited by been here before

Leveins Battalion
Just now, been here before said:

Youll be enjoying this more than most as obviously youll be wanying them to lose so you can be right.

Correct,I want Budge and Neilson gone from HMFC.

been here before
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Hearts 'supporter' wanting Hearts to lose.

Edited by been here before

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Hearts 'supporter' wanting Hearts to lose.

Bigger picture,I am used to being beat now.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Bigger picture,I am used to being beat now.

Hopefuly you hot a decent price betting against us too

Seymour M Hersh
42 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

has to be Neil McCann.

Why? Because he git a draw last night against an insipid Hearts team. Do us all a favour and go and join another site. 

21 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Not quite sure why you want Budge gone especially when you don't provide a realistic alternative.

Since the end of last season, she has

-appointed a new and well experienced CEO

-taken on a former manager (JJ) as an adviser

- hired a new manager who has twice won the Championship (+his coaching team)

-acquired a new and well respected Director of Football giving him wide responsibility

-authorised the signing/funding of several players wanted by the manager

-presided over a seriously challenging financial year created by the pandemic

Not to mention God knows what else