Kastaneer

Diadora Van Basten

9 hours ago, R1874 said:

Thought he had some decent moments. Tried to run and cross. Willing to give him a chance 

No idea about his first touch though 

Where I’m at. Patchy performance. Very much on the fence. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• sadj

• Robbo-Jambo

• GinRummy

13 hours ago, nailed by the king said:

Dreadful! A guy who will be playing part time in some obscure league shortly 

The Scottish Championship then? :whistling:

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Why the comparison to Wighton mate? That’s two threads and comparing the two of them. They play different positions. 

Wighton played wide right for most of the time this season, but he can also play through the middle with some success. We'll find out if Kastaneer is as useful, I hope he is. 

18 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

looked noticeably good up until he was switched from the left to the right

Agreed , the abuse on here is a disgrace. 

4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I know writing players off is the fashionable thing to do on JKB these days, but to write a player off after only 147 minutes of football - having just signed for the team with limited ability to get used to teammates or tactics - is quite frankly ludicrous.

Not to mention he’s not played much for his parent club so match fitness will undoubtedly be an issue. Then you throw into things that out of the three (non full) games he’s played he’s shown enough in two of them to see there’s a player in there, and in the early stages yesterday looked really good (before wings were swapped, most likely to accommodate GMS doing nothing) then the writing him off is even more ludicrous.

I’m not going to write any player off who’s played so little, as I don’t think you can get the whole picture of a player after so little time. If I did think that I would be calling for GMS to not be anywhere near a match day squad, it’s only because we’ve seen what he can do in Scotland before that he’s not being written off, yet in over 500 minutes of football GMS has shown less than Kastaneer in his 147.

It is possible for someone not to play 8/10+ in his first few outings and then be good later. Patience is not a virtue with most it seems. Sort of guys that refuse to tip a takeaway driver if the meal takes over 10 minutes...

👍🏻👌🏻

Brick Tamland
4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I know writing players off is the fashionable thing to do on JKB these days, but to write a player off after only 147 minutes of football - having just signed for the team with limited ability to get used to teammates or tactics - is quite frankly ludicrous.

Not to mention he’s not played much for his parent club so match fitness will undoubtedly be an issue. Then you throw into things that out of the three (non full) games he’s played he’s shown enough in two of them to see there’s a player in there, and in the early stages yesterday looked really good (before wings were swapped, most likely to accommodate GMS doing nothing) then the writing him off is even more ludicrous.

I’m not going to write any player off who’s played so little, as I don’t think you can get the whole picture of a player after so little time. If I did think that I would be calling for GMS to not be anywhere near a match day squad, it’s only because we’ve seen what he can do in Scotland before that he’s not being written off, yet in over 500 minutes of football GMS has shown less than Kastaneer in his 147.

It is possible for someone not to play 8/10+ in his first few outings and then be good later. Patience is not a virtue with most it seems. Sort of guys that refuse to tip a takeaway driver if the meal takes over 10 minutes...

👍🏻 Very sensible post and one of few on here recently 

Glamorgan Jambo

The guy is not the ‘whippet hare’ type winger who beats full backs with blind pace and then puts a cross in. Which Savage would have known when he signed him.

He had a few interesting touches and involvements in the first half yesterday. Willing to give him a bit more time. Obviously hasn’t made the instant impact Gino did.

1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

The guy is not the ‘whippet hare’ type winger who beats full backs with blind pace and then puts a cross in. Which Savage would have known when he signed him.

He had a few interesting touches and involvements in the first half yesterday. Willing to give him a bit more time. Obviously hasn’t made the instant impact Gino did.

He looks to me like he could play as a striker. I think he is overweight just now. Wouldn’t write him off just yet. He’s been better so far than GMS

1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Im really struggling to see why people were slating him and saying he was shite yesterday. He had a bad touch in the box after making a run our players haven’t been otherwise he was fairly solid , linked well and got involved the first half. Turned up in a few good positions and was willing to have a dig 🤷🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, sadj said:

Im really struggling to see why people were slating him and saying he was shite yesterday. He had a bad touch in the box after making a run our players haven’t been otherwise he was fairly solid , linked well and got involved the first half. Turned up in a few good positions and was willing to have a dig 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agree. I thought he showed glimpses of a player that had played at a much higher level. Put in a pearler of a cross first half which Boyce should have done better to anticipate and if he got across his man, he'd have had a free header on goal. 

He's just lacking game time I think. 

But I wouldn't play him as a winger or wide midfielder, I'd play him in a front three in that Mane or Salah position. That's where he has played throughout his career, the Dutch play 4-3-3.

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, sadj said:

Agreed. A least he got into a position where his bad touch mattered. Which is more than can be said for many.

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed. A least he got into a position where his bad touch mattered. Which is more than can be said for many.

Hardly a glowing endorsement Franny!

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Apparently he has had 26 starts. . . in his entire career! He’s 25 in June 

Over 90 appearances but all's fair I suppose when writing players off.

(And that excludes cup games.)

Also played for Netherlands up to U21 level ... amazing for the only Dutch player without a touch

Edited by Francis Albert

5 hours ago, sadj said:

Maybe the criticism comes from the obvious. He can’t beat full backs, looks knackered, generally effs up when he gets the ball and was hooked early. Even the management thought he was crap.

1 minute ago, OldGorgie said:

Maybe the criticism comes from the obvious. He can’t beat full backs, looks knackered, generally effs up when he gets the ball and was hooked early. Even the management thought he was crap.

Iv already said I am not replying to you. Give up. 

48 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No but better than I can summon up for some of our lot!

GMS gets in some good positions but just looks devoid when he gets it. Kastaneer yesterday was getting stuck in all over the pitch linking up. Actually felt positive watching him Boyce and Naisy early doors. After they switched sides Kastaneer pretty much fell out of it apart from the run and bad touch second half. But tbf the whole team did. He was happy to beat a defender and run at them though. Something only White and Gino have been doing regularly

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Hardly a glowing endorsement Franny!

🤣

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Apparently he has had 26 starts. . . in his entire career! He’s 25 in June 

You aren't going to acknowledge that what you posted here was utter crap? 

Or maybe provide a source. Any source.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

Tempted to say that if the management thought he was crap that is an endorsement.

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You aren't going to acknowledge that what you posted here was utter crap? 

Or maybe provide a source. Any source.

Apparently- ‘as far as one knows or can see’ 

If you don’t understand basic English pal then that’s your parent’s or school teacher’s problem. Not mine. 

But since you are so interested and incapable of checking for yourself he has made 30 league starts in an 8 year career. 

Source - Soccerbase

Looks a little of the pace at the moment, almost preseason or just back from a long injury. Done some good things and looks to want to do the right things but touch and control let him down a couple of times. Jury is out for the moment but on the face of it probably wasn’t the correct signing if he was expected to come in and make an immediate impact. Assuming of course he was brought in to replace the shite wingers we signed in the summer. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Just now, Dazo said:

Looks a little of the pace at the moment, almost preseason or just back from a long injury. Done some good things and looks to want to do the right things but touch and control let him down a couple of times. Jury is out for the moment but on the face of it probably wasn’t the correct signing if he was expected to come in and make an immediate impact. Assuming of course he was brought in to replace the shite wingers we signed in the summer. 

Wasn’t he brought in last second of the window to replace the injured Ginelly? 

He was mostly decent first half but missed that chance when set up by Boyce and you could see his head go down.  No idea why he suddenly lost interest but it's worrying.  

43 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Wasn’t he brought in last second of the window to replace the injured Ginelly? 

Aye probably forgot about that. Hopefully that run out on Saturday gets him up to speed  

A_A wehatethehibs
25 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Aye probably forgot about that. Hopefully that run out on Saturday gets him up to speed  

Aye maybe. But equally, I don’t see much sense in us getting our knickers in a twist over a short term cover player who’ll probably be lucky to reach 10 games for Hearts and then be on his way. 

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

If you don’t understand basic English pal then that’s your parent’s or school teacher’s problem. Not mine. 

But since you are so interested and incapable of checking for yourself he has made 30 league starts in an 8 year career. 

Source - Soccerbase

I don't think Soccerbase is very accurate but nonetheless he's not exactly settled or been consistent anywhere over a season it seems. 

24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think Soccerbase is very accurate but nonetheless he's not exactly settled or been consistent anywhere over a season it seems. 

Yeah, it was just a comment that a friend said a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was interesting that he has started less than 4 games a season in his career. Don’t know why some weirdo is offended by it but hey-ho.

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

He was mostly decent first half but missed that chance when set up by Boyce and you could see his head go down.  No idea why he suddenly lost interest but it's worrying.  

That's how I saw it.

Thought he was quite effective in the first half and more keen to take on the opposing full back than some of our previous signings.

Within 10 minutes of the 2nd half, he'd failed to control the ball for that chance, a misplaced pass, then caught in possession twice, and lastly letting the ball run under his feet and go out of play.

He's probably now sitting in a hotel room somewhere feeling crap.

Not easy these days for loan players coming in and familiarising themselves with the club and their team mates.

I'm hoping that given the right support and ecouragement he will come good for us, at least for the duration of his loan period.

I'm not giving up on the guy for that horrendous 10 minutes.

Edited by Busby8

3 hours ago, DS98 said:

Source - Soccerbase

Oooh, I'm not saying that you're wrong here. After all, @Francis Albertmay very well have had only one parent and one teacher. Almost everyone (including myself) slips up with this. It's just that if you're going to criticise someone's understanding of English then, well, you know. 🤭

Parent's refers to one parent. The possessive form. Parents is the plural form of parent. Parents' is the possessive form referring to more than one parent. Ditto, Teacher's, Teacher, Teachers'.

Anyhow, back on topic, anyone would surely question the wisdom of taking on someone who so rarely starts. I'm wondering if we have a Coventry connection who talked him up. 🤔

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Yeah, it was just a comment that a friend said a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was interesting that he has started less than 4 games a season in his career. Don’t know why some weirdo is offended by it but hey-ho.

Sorry I over-reacted a bit in the context of the common dismissal of him on this thread. I like to give players a chance before dismissing them. I found 93 first team appearances for clubs generally playing at a higher level than the Scottish Championship more positive. Maybe he will show he has found his level here or at least closer to it and he can do a job for us. Let's see.

We brought in 2 wingers and a striker in the January window. None of them were match fit.  All three are finding their feet and getting to know their team mates and how they play.  All three are bound to fade at some point in a game.  Kastaneer has started well in last couple of games but faded s you would expect.   Hard enough for the guy coming in half way through a season without people getting on his back after a couple of games. 

48 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Oooh, I'm not saying that you're wrong here. After all, @Francis Albertmay very well have had only one parent and one teacher. Almost everyone (including myself) slips up with this. It's just that if you're going to criticise someone's understanding of English then, well, you know. 🤭

Parent's refers to one parent. The possessive form. Parents is the plural form of parent. Parents' is the possessive form referring to more than one parent. Ditto, Teacher's, Teacher, Teachers'.

Anyhow, back on topic, anyone would surely question the wisdom of taking on someone who so rarely starts. I'm wondering if we have a Coventry connection who talked him up. 🤔

To be fair I said basic English. That’s more advanced you’re talking about 😂

1 hour ago, Busby8 said:

That's how I saw it.

Thought he was quite effective in the first half and more keen to take on the opposing full back than some of our previous signings.

Within 10 minutes of the 2nd half, he'd failed to control the ball for that chance, a misplaced pass, then caught in possession twice, and lastly letting the ball run under his feet and go out of play.

He's probably now sitting in a hotel room somewhere feeling crap.

Not easy these days for loan players coming in and familiarising themselves with the club and their team mates.

I'm hoping that given the right support and ecouragement he will come good for us, at least for the duration of his loan period.

I'm not giving up on the guy for that horrendous 10 minutes.

It's a fair point you make about the motivation of loan players in current climate.  Not only having to live in isolation but also unable to build a rapport with the fans.  

Kastaneer looks promising and seems to have a good willing attitude. GMS continues to disappoint although still early days. It is not easy for wingers with teams sitting in and they are generally found to be standing being marked out wide. Too often the result is then a safe pass inside or back. But they need to vary their play, switch wings at times so they can come inside and have a pop, or just play it quickly into the danger area, or take their man on, or break through the middle at times. Make life difficult for defenders instead of being easy to be found. The league is not 100% secure but we need to be playing with more freedom. 

9 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Kastaneer looks promising and seems to have a good willing attitude. GMS continues to disappoint although still early days. It is not easy for wingers with teams sitting in and they are generally found to be standing being marked out wide. Too often the result is then a safe pass inside or back. But they need to vary their play, switch wings at times so they can come inside and have a pop, or just play it quickly into the danger area, or take their man on, or break through the middle at times. Make life difficult for defenders instead of being easy to be found. The league is not 100% secure but we need to be playing with more freedom. 

He seemed lethargic, no pace, poor first touch, and had no end product.

Jamie Walker improved the team considerably after he was replaced.

Tokyo Drifter
On 20/02/2021 at 17:16, Diadora Van Basten said:

Thought he was awful last week, looked ok first half but then first ten minutes of second half he looked like he had never played football before.

Been impressed by his physicality but nothing else. Really hard to believe he's a winger.

We'd get on better playing the castanets, boom boom.

I'll get my coat.

Francis Albert
On 20/02/2021 at 17:16, Diadora Van Basten said:

Thought he was awful last week, looked ok first half but then first ten minutes of second half he looked like he had never played football before.

Impact of Robbie's half time talk?

On 21/02/2021 at 15:18, sadj said:

This

4 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Been impressed by his physicality but nothing else. Really hard to believe he's a winger.

We'd get on better playing the castanets, boom boom.

I'll get my coat.

Looks more like a Rugby League player to me.

1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

Was better than GMS. Not saying much though. 

GMS is just running through the motions imo. Most wingers go through periods of good form and bad but have you noticed him pretending to close opponents down. It’s a halfhearted jog in their general direction and nothing else. That’s telling imo and lazy to boot. 

Kastaneer looks fine.

Not great, not even good. But fine.

Better than Frear, better than Roberts. Better than GMS. Not as good as Gino.

If be playing Moore if it was me.

28 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Kastaneer looks fine.

Not great, not even good. But fine.

Better than Frear, better than Roberts. Better than GMS. Not as good as Gino.

If be playing Moore if it was me.

Moore is gone bud. On loan I think.