Michael Smith

kingantti1874

I won't bang on about Smith who's been one of our most consistent players throughout the last few years, other than to say that he looks like he needs a rest. Unfortunately, Neilson didn't sort out the right-back area when Brandon got injured so has no choice but to play him. It's affecting his confidence. It was time to get O'Donnell in from Motherwell but, in typical Hearts fashion...they did nowt about it. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Cruyff

• soonbe110

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I won't bang on about Smith who's been one of our most consistent players throughout the last few years, other than to say that he looks like he needs a rest. Unfortunately, Neilson didn't sort out the right-back area when Brandon got injured so has no choice but to play him. It's affecting his confidence. It was time to get O'Donnell in from Motherwell but, in typical Hearts fashion...they did nowt about it. 

Exactly. There were a few options open to us at that time. Looks like we’re scrabbling about right up to the end to get someone in. 

14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Exactly. There were a few options open to us at that time. Looks like we’re scrabbling about right up to the end to get someone in. 

There's been about seven/eight players in various positions that have impressed in their team that Hearts should've been looking at in the past. We just never sign them. I remember McGinn dominating midfield in a piss-poor St Mirren team and look where he ended up. Talking of them....Hearts should be keeping a keen eye on Jamie McGrath. Seems to be a good all-round player. Decent free kick/corner balls, eye for goal, decent link-up play from what i've seen of him this season but will we go for him or will he end up at Hibs or Aberdeen? We're usually late to the party when it comes to identifying players so i won't hold my breath that we'd get in there before others.

52 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The Hibs one.

Mmm,not too sure that would go down well.

17 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Nor am I. Heard the story from a Hibbee mate who usually has his ear pretty close to the ground with things down that neck of the woods.

20 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

It would be for a few games so I don’t have an issue. He comes from a Hearts supporting family.  Can’t see it happening anyway. 

Our full-backs spend most of their time doing our lazy midfielders jobs. As a result we are vulnerable to counterattack as centrebacks are pulled wide to cover. Opposing coaches are all aware of this, and set up accordingly. I am happy with our back four for this division, it is not where our problems lie. Of course back players should join in attacks at times, but should not be the main source. Michael Smith was at fault for the goal, probably was fouled but should have been stronger, but he has been a good signing and if every player played for the jersey like him we would not be in this division or debating Michael Smith.

Unfortunately for smith he is regularly 7 or 8 out of 10. He is having a bad spell just now. Certain players are regularly 5 out of 10 and it's not noticed as they are always poor 

The guy had covid recently, it's hardly surprising his performances haven't been up to his usual standard. It's almost as if some people have forgotten that there is a real, actual pandemic going on at the moment.

I like Michael Smith. It's not his fault we're not winning games.

And on a team percentage basis his contributions are far more positive than other players who still feature for us.

5 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

And on a team percentage basis his contributions are far more positive than other players who still feature for us.

This

WheatfieldWarrior
18 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I think it was a foul and a free kick tbh.

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

he is still a hearts fan. Source is impeccable 😂 still, think he’s past it

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’m more disappointed in Kingsley than Smith to be honest. 

What happened to the swashbuckling attacking left back in the first game against Dundee?

24 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I think smith would be better ar rcb or maybe as a defensive midfeilder, would be an upgrade on halliday imo.

I agree. He doesn't look comfortable playing an attacking role, and I think in midfield or at CB would play to his strengths a lot better. Obviously, would need to be as a back 3 or one of the two in midfield. (4231)

4 hours ago, tynewater said:

The guy had covid recently, it's hardly surprising his performances haven't been up to his usual standard. It's almost as if some people have forgotten that there is a real, actual pandemic going on at the moment.

Good to see somebody is paying attention. With Brandon out injured MS finds himself as the only senior RB in the squad and has quite probably played games despite not being 100% as a result of the effects of Covid.

He's been 'Mr Dependable' since he came to Tynecastle so if anyone is deserving of a bit of slack it's him

54 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Good to see somebody is paying attention. With Brandon out injured MS finds himself as the only senior RB in the squad and has quite probably played games despite not being 100% as a result of the effects of Covid.

He's been 'Mr Dependable' since he came to Tynecastle so if anyone is deserving of a bit of slack it's him

Absolutely. One of our most consistent players getting pelters after getting the virus that's killed thousands and has known long term effects. This place really is mental 🙄

Looks like popescu could fill in, berra back in, haring backup ch, or haring in berra backup.   White also mentioned possible right back ☺. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-consider-right-back-options-19900253

“It's not ideal if he misses a game for us but we have a few boys who could play that position. Popescu can go there, and either Aidy White or Stephen Kingsley could swap over to the right.

“Cammy Logan might be able to come in. We could cancel his loan and bring him back but the plan is not to do that at the moment. It just depends if the lower leagues are restarting.”

heartsfc_fan

I'd rather Popescu stayed in the middle. Was it Dunfermline away he filled in at RB and looked awful?

If Smith is put injured, surely qa back 3 is the answer. Berra back in and Popescu at RB is not an option I'd like to see.

I'd personally rather see Kingsley shifted to right back and Halliday or White into left back tbh. 

The thought of Popescu thinking he has more free reign at RB and even worse, Berra bumbling about at Centerhalf is enough to induce a stroke. 

davemclaren

Given Popescu’s performance at right back against Dunfermline I’ve looked out the dubbing out for my Gola Speedsters just in case...

33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Given Popescu’s performance at right back against Dunfermline I’ve looked out the dubbing out for my Gola Speedsters just in case...

🤣

willie wallace

Probably was motm more times than anyone else over the past couple of seasons.

I still think it was a foul on Friday at their goal on Friday.Smith is concentrating on playing the ball and Storey plays the man enough to cause the goal.

I.thought he recovered well in the second half and was trying to drive us forward..

I would imagine that of all our squad Michael Smith deserves a little more leeway than most.

I like Michael Smith a lot but he does seem to try and cover the whole defence at times! Not sure if he feels he has to because of the incompetence of our central defence or if he is just trying too hard! I agree he needs a rest but would prefer to see him at central defence. I think his days of running the wing have taken its toll on him.

He is not our problem, but he is having to cover so many positions that it becomes a problem. We should have enough disciplined professionals that know how to play the game and know thier role.....

Robbo-Jambo
21 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Correct

Robbo-Jambo
55 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

I like Michael Smith a lot but he does seem to try and cover the whole defence at times! Not sure if he feels he has to because of the incompetence of our central defence or if he is just trying too hard! I agree he needs a rest but would prefer to see him at central defence. I think his days of running the wing have taken its toll on him.

He is not our problem, but he is having to cover so many positions that it becomes a problem. We should have enough disciplined professionals that know how to play the game and know thier role.....

I think that centre back is the way to go now with Smith.

A big strong centre half beside him could work well I think.

jamboinglasgow

I see the loan window has been extended till end of March rather than yesterday. So still time to get a loan player in for Smith.

34 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I think that centre back is the way to go now with Smith.

A big strong centre half beside him could work well I think.

I agree! And would not be adverse to having Berra in beside him in the cente of defence for the remainder of the league

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

To make the run-in more exciting, aye?

Berra, sadly for a man of his talent and dedication, is done. An objective observer like Stendel saw it a mile off.

I think Berra could be okay if he could rely on the man on his right. I am not sure he trusted Halkett much. But with Smith, maybe could work

But yes, it could make the run in a wee bit more exciting 🤣

43 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I see the loan window has been extended till end of March rather than yesterday. So still time to get a loan player in for Smith.

Good news.   I'd rather get a proper professional right back in than play around moving players out of position.   Espeacily putting a left footer on the right.    I think we will need one in if Smith goes on international duty as well. 

6 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Good news.   I'd rather get a proper professional right back in than play around moving players out of position.   Espeacily putting a left footer on the right.    I think we will need one in if Smith goes on international duty as well. 

Might be complacency on my part, but unless we go for someone that has at least a chance of the loan being made permanent, I just don't see the point.

No Idle Talk
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If Smith is put injured, surely qa back 3 is the answer. Berra back in and Popescu at RB is not an option I'd like to see.

Me neither. That sounds like a horrendous idea.

3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would we be able to recall Cammy Logan for the next few games and then loan him back to Cove before the end of March?

Pasquale for King
On 01/03/2021 at 18:11, HoGwash said:

Would we be able to recall Cammy Logan for the next few games and then loan him back to Cove before the end of March?

Doesn’t look like it, deals done it can’t be changed now. 

Pasquale for King

I saw someone on Twitter mention last weekend that Smith has been poor since tested positive for Covid, it might be something to do with that. 

complete control
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I saw someone on Twitter mention last weekend that Smith has been poor since tested positive for Covid, it might be something to do with that. 

What's Kingsleys excuse ? Signing a new contract  ?

KyleLafferty

If we aren’t going to play Logan then go to a back 3.

Pope Haring Halkett Centre backs

GMS and Kingsley wing backs.

On 28/02/2021 at 10:24, TypoonJambo said:

Not that bothered. Just seems a bit pointless to me. Go to a back three and play someone out of position at right wingback would be my choice. It's only 9 games now.

On 28/02/2021 at 23:20, Cruyff said:

What's the damage with Smith anyway? We're pretty screwed without him with no alternatives. 

Injury isn’t serious, very short term. Might even play this weekend though unlikely. 

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

If we aren’t going to play Logan then go to a back 3.

Pope Haring Halkett Centre backs

GMS and Kingsley wing backs.

I don't really fancy GMS as a wing back. Has he played there before?

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

So have we seen the light yet? 

ps Logan > Smith

Smith was absolutely pish last night. He should have been subbed not Logan. I use to be a big fan of MS, now I think he should be moved on. 

Since before Christmas Smith has looked like he has been going through the motions. Great servant to the club but there has been errors this season that just weren’t there before