Michael Smith

kingantti1874

best in the land

Deserves stick like anyone else when poor. 

And he has been. 

Same as Kingsley since signing his contract. 

Just not looking interested which also is down to Neilson 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Cruyff

• soonbe110

Would love somebody who can be arsed to check the stats on our record when he has played right back.

it can’t be good 

worse when he’s beside 2 shocking centre half’s   Halkett is never a hearts centre half 

And Popescu is pish.

kingsley has no positional sense 

people going on about what’s needed for next season a new defence has to be top of the list. 

complete control
1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Would love somebody who can be arsed to check the stats on our record when he has played right back.

it can’t be good 

worse when he’s beside 2 shocking centre half’s   Halkett is never a hearts centre half 

And Popescu is pish.

kingsley has no positional sense 

people going on about what’s needed for next season a new defence has to be top of the list. 

Bang on 

1 hour ago, best in the land said:

And he has been. 

I thought Kingsley was one of our better players tonight in all honesty. He wasn’t great but carried a bit of pace and gave us an option on the left 

When smith went off, Neilson moves him inside to the back 3 and moves Halliday to wing back! 3-5-2 another formation change 

players have to take responsibility but the manager needs to stop tinkering through the game as we never settle and find no rhythm whatsoever 

Said it in countless threads, smith hasn’t been good for 18 months and part of a hearts team that’s declined in the last few years.

HillmanHearts

Always loved Smith and really liked Kingsley early doors. But they have both been a bit pish recently. 

It's not the goal tonight that specifically concerns me about Smith. He just doesn't seem to be up for it. And his crossing has went down from a 6 to a 3.

While Kingsley looks very stylish but has recently done hee haw.

Smith looks good when he is positive and overlaps/gets forward. Defensively he is a liability.

so when he starts deciding to take all the momentum out of our attacks by constantly cutting back or stopping, he is like a man down. Like Naismith him going off injured improved us markedly tonight.

I said it last week. Giving contracts to players who have been part of our downfall is criminal. We should have been happy to see all of them go as soon as possible. How can you expect to get better by keeping the same players. Folk saying he is a great player shows how average we have become.

Edited by jambopilms

I think Smith could have a better role further infield, either as a RCB/Sweeper or as a holding midfielder. 

I'm of the belief that we need to improve at  RB with one who provides more of a threat on the front foot and can deliver quality crosses. 

Logan looks decent enough but cant have played a competitive match for months. 

Very risky pitching him in against Dundee a game we absolutely must win.

I'm sure the lad would do his best but would be difficult for him.

13 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I took some amount of stick for raising the thread.   Right now he’s offering nothing.  No worse than many of our players but he’s the one that seems to escape the stick. 

But but, I thought he's the man to gel our defence. He has been poor of late and also deserves his share of stick from the fans, why he's getting away with it, who the feck knows he is as much to blame as the rest of the team.

13 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Started a thread about 2 years ago about him,utter pony of a player.

Usual rubbish nowt much changes after a 2 week holiday.

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think Smith could have a better role further infield, either as a RCB/Sweeper or as a holding midfielder. 

I'm of the belief that we need to improve at  RB with one who provides more of a threat on the front foot and can deliver quality crosses. 

That's it, he has been carrying an injury for awhile now it has affected his performances of late no doubt, but one of our better players, not hard mind 

In this league our full backs should be looking to play more like them over at Rangers.  They score goals and create chances.  Walker had to point to Smith to move forward last night.  If the full backs trusted the centre halves enough to play more offensively it would help the wide players have more options too. 

complete control
4 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

In this league our full backs should be looking to play more like them over at Rangers.  They score goals and create chances.  Walker had to point to Smith to move forward last night.  If the full backs trusted the centre halves enough to play more offensively it would help the wide players have more options too. 

correct

complete control

haring cant be fit enough ie to run about a lot in midfield. play him where he was signed for. replace with halkett who offers nothing

Neither of our fullbacks can defend. Both get beat 1 on 1 far to easily and the less said about there ability to stop crosses getting in to our box the better. Add in our 2 poor cb’s and we are looking at needing a complete rebuild at the back for next season. 

Allowayjambo1874

Smith being injured might force a change in formation to a 3-5-2 which many have been crying out for. 

Him being out may be a blessing in disguise.

16 hours ago, best in the land said:

And he has been. 

Kingsley hasn't kicked a ball since that abomination of a penalty in the cup final. 

1 hour ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

the guy has been trying to play with a injury, and he's starting to lose his pace because of his age.

4 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

That's it, he has been carrying an injury for awhile now it has affected his performances of late no doubt, but one of our better players, not hard mind 

Yep, M. Smith deserves a bit slack because he's been a pretty solid player over the years for us and he's getting older. 

Still a useful player but we need to improve both Full Back positions tbh or at least have two full backs on both sides that provide competition for each other. 

While Smith made the mistake for the goal, it would have been a penalty had he made contact with Storey.  What was Popescu doing when the long ball came out of the ICT defence.  Popescu should have cut out the ball before it bounced into the Hearts box.  And Halkett was positioned out to the right and not in a position to block Storey.

Just another, one of many, poor goals conceded.

Smith is suffering like the rest of the team because our centre halfs are not fit for purpose and are the real reason for our recent drop in standards. Again. 

The goal last night wasn't Smith's fault because he shouldn't have been anywhere near the Caley striker. 

We have a major problem at centre half and have had for seasons, it needs fixing or we'll keep conceding cheap goals.

I think the day may not be too far off where Smith has to move into a central position. He's looking quite slow these days. Which is obviously not a desirable quality in a full back. 

Ex member of the SaS

Smith is the least of our problems, said before how many times has he gone on a run up the wing only for there to be no out ball and he stands with his arms out begging for someone to run into space?

He made a mistake last night but tbf he has done some good stuff in other games.

17 hours ago, Newton51 said:

The odds of cove starting again

is unlikely so Logan should be recalled. 

Starting again soon according to Jason Leitch. 

7 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Logan looks decent enough but cant have played a competitive match for months. 

Very risky pitching him in against Dundee a game we absolutely must win.

I'm sure the lad would do his best but would be difficult for him.

Over 12 months. Bit unfair on the lad but an opportunity if it comes off 

Pretty difficult to evaluate any player's performance based on watching from the kind of low-level, distant camera angles we got at ICT. Players appear and disappear in shot but you don't really see who's doing the hard work off the ball.

OK, you can tell stuff like just about every touch from Naismith went astray, obviously Smith had one complete howler, and Gordon was his usual reliable self. But Smith's overall performance, not sure?

Fact is, however disjointed our defence has looked lately we've actually conceded , what, three goals in six games, one a dodgy penalty. Nothing to get in a lather about. 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Smith is the least of our problems, said before how many times has he gone on a run up the wing only for there to be no out ball and he stands with his arms out begging for someone to run into space?

He made a mistake last night but tbf he has done some good stuff in other games.

agree he's been our most consistent player he has had a couple of iffy games he does a lot of running in every game and yes he got outmuscled for the goal James McFadden called it at half time saying he should have cut if front of Storey and it's harsh to criticise him. i hope he's okay for saturday.

On 20/02/2021 at 17:04, Paul Shark said:

Both full backs suffer from playing alongside absolutely ****ing atrocious centre backs

Agreed. Both our centre half’s are bloody awful! 

22 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I’ve always been one that says everyone is entitled to their opinion. You have changed my mind.

The crackpots should not be entitled to their opinion. 

Neil Dongcaster
22 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

That’s clearly not true.

jamboinglasgow

any word on how serious an injury it is for him? 

Agree with others, we need to recall Logan if it is more than a game or two out.

Also we have till tomorrow to sign a player on loan. Something I saw yesterday before the game made me add 2 and 2 together (though could be 2+2=5) as saw a journalist talk about the places Hibs had sent players out on loan and ended with there will be one which will raise eyebrows. I have seen his name mentioned as possible players we could sign but I wonder if that is David Gray on loan to us.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He ain't the problem. 

I started the thread not because he’s our biggest problem, he clearly is not.  But he does seem immune from criticism.

he’s offered little this season. Average at best

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I started the thread not because he’s our biggest problem, he clearly is not.  But he does seem immune from criticism.

he’s offered little this season. Average at best

Another one playing through injury and has no competition. 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

any word on how serious an injury it is for him? 

Agree with others, we need to recall Logan if it is more than a game or two out.

Also we have till tomorrow to sign a player on loan. Something I saw yesterday before the game made me add 2 and 2 together (though could be 2+2=5) as saw a journalist talk about the places Hibs had sent players out on loan and ended with there will be one which will raise eyebrows. I have seen his name mentioned as possible players we could sign but I wonder if that is David Gray on loan to us.

Surely not manager is in a big enough hole without making it any bigger.

We should absolutely be recalling Logan. Dread to think who starts at RB on Saturday if Smith is out. 

Once he's fit, into CH he goes (finally!) and let Logan have a run at RB. Fresh legs and a bit if youth. 

8 minutes ago, Cigaro said:

We should absolutely be recalling Logan. Dread to think who starts at RB on Saturday if Smith is out. 

Once he's fit, into CH he goes (finally!) and let Logan have a run at RB. Fresh legs and a bit if youth. 

Can still bring in a loan player until midnight tomorrow I think. 

I wonder if Michael Smith has been carrying an injury for a wee while. It would explain the pretty average performances recently.  It would also explain why we are looking for a player to cover for him.  Been hearing rumours that we are going to sign David Gray on loan for the rest of the season today.