Michael Smith

kingantti1874

Jambo in Bathgate

We looked better up front with Nando on. He set up Walker’s goal and the one that GMS and Naismith fluffed. May have made something out of the corners we had in first half. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Cruyff

• soonbe110

Feel for Smith, we have no RB cover and he could prob use a wee break.  He gets exposed when our 2 holding mids are caught on break and never gets support from woeful wingers. Saying that he's still in my team for this and next season.

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Smith is as much a part of our 5 year decline as anybody.He is bang average.

He has been one of our most consistent performers BUT he is just a bog standard RB. Not great at attacking or defending but ok at both. I wouldn't be giving any contract extension to any player who has been a regular throughout our downfall. The fact some think he's great say a lot about overall standard than him as a player.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

He has been one of our most consistent performers BUT he is just a bog standard RB. Not great at attacking or defending but ok at both. I wouldn't be giving any contract extension to any player who has been a regular throughout our downfall. The fact some think he's great say a lot about overall standard than him as a player.

Well said, he HAS been our best performer over the last few years.. 

point is, that isn’t saying much is it

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Over rated. What the **** was he doing at the goal.  We’ve conceded a lot of chances down that right side this season

He is not over rated! He is an excellent player having a period of poor games!

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He is not over rated! He is an excellent player having a period of poor games!

What is he excellent at? 

The Hogfather
Just now, Locky said:

Easily our most consistent player in the last 4 years. Everyone is entitled to an off day.

Nah, one poor game in 4 years means he’s shite. Standard Kickback response after a poor result. Group of people unable to hold a sense of perspective. 

We had 26 shots with 5 on target, that was the problem today , should have won easily with 

that amount of shots, easy to pick on Smith though, theres plenty before him to pick on.

9 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Nah, one poor game in 4 years means he’s shite. Standard Kickback response after a poor result. Group of people unable to hold a sense of perspective. 

How could I forget. A relatively meaningless 1-1 draw with Morton is the lowest point of this great clubs history. Every one of those players should be shot.

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

We had 26 shots with 5 on target, that was the problem today , should have won easily with 

that amount of shots, easy to pick on Smith though, theres plenty before him to pick on.

No doubt. But he isn’t as good as a large portion of our fans seem to think. A bottom 6 right back at best

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Smith is as much a part of our 5 year decline as anybody.He is bang average.

You can paint a picture of a player in a negative or positive light if you nit picked at particular parts of their game.  Imo, Smith has never been a convincing RB.  People see the safe play, taking an extra touch and playing it easy all the time when it should be a quicker, braver ball. 

He’s easy beat one on one for a full back, but people don’t watch close enough.  Been skinned many times too easily. His use of the ball is middling , especially when you need something telling. That’s why he tends to be safe most of the time which makes some people think he’s great.  

Mr Reliable. Nothing more imo.  He’s not giving you more than what you see, and as you say, has been part of the slippery slope. He’s much better as a covering CH.

We need to start getting in more braver, forceful players in mindset and ability. McEneff from midfield (in the first half) showed the type of endeavour in players we need all around the positions.  

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You can paint a picture of a player in a negative or positive light if you nit picked at particular parts of their game.  Imo, Smith has never been a convincing RB.  People see the safe play, taking an extra touch and playing it easy all the time when it should be a quicker, braver ball. 

He’s easy beat one on one for a full back, but people don’t watch close enough.  Been skinned many times too easily. His use of the ball is middling , especially when you need something telling. That’s why he tends to be safe most of the time which makes some people think he’s great.  

Mr Reliable. Nothing more imo.  He’s not giving you more than what you see, and as you say, has been part of the slippery slope. He’s much better as a covering CH.

We need to start getting in more braver, forceful players in mindset and ability. McEneff from midfield (in the first half) showed the type of endeavour in players we need all around the positions.  

Great post! We should have just let him see out his contact and move on.

3 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Both full backs have let free balls into our box so many times this season. They need to start defending instead of standing off

Whole team stands off ,it’s like they are in training mode allowing the attacking team to go thru their full phase 

3 hours ago, hearts attack said:

Michel Smith is the last man to blame for our performances. 

It’s endemic throughout the team ,several times today he cut inside played a pass and just stopped ,players making a pass and just hoping the recipient will do something special ,slow build up allows them all to just stop means lack of options and players out of position , no effort to cover for their colleagues ,Morton didn’t have the skills but put everything into the game ,tackled like it was their last game 

My half sister
1 hour ago, brawlad74 said:

Feel for Smith, we have no RB cover and he could prob use a wee break.  He gets exposed when our 2 holding mids are caught on break and never gets support from woeful wingers. Saying that he's still in my team for this and next season.

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Our most steady player by a country mile, but yet again people are blaming the players, he ain't the problem 👍

Why does he need a break, we only play one game a week?

we need more than ‘steady’. Technically he is poor and there must be better available for less money

38 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

A team is a sum of its parts but when the system breaks down players faults are amplified u need guys like Smith but they have to connect with those around them ,he cannae even build up a relationship wi the guys in front of him in one half of a game as the manager sees fit to swap the wingers after 30 mins then put Naismith out there for a wee while , we play a rigid system that is easy to frustrate as those playing in it don’t seem to have any confidence in it after about 25 mins 

TheOnlyWayis51

Poor today but I want him in the squad. He has the right attitude and more often than not earns his wage and his place in the team. 

Just now, Debut 4 said:

Correct i don't want mediocre or reliable i wan't horrible bad nasty winners right through the team the comment today when Naismith gave away about half a dozen passes in a row from the commentary team i they probably don't wan't to have a pop at him somebody should have the balls to be screaming at him to buck up his ideas

31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Our most steady player by a country mile, but yet again people are blaming the players, he ain't the problem 👍

But yet the same players have been half arsed, uninterested and poor for 3 managers now.

11 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

But yet the same players have been half arsed, uninterested and poor for 3 managers now.

Some yes others no. 

34 minutes ago, My half sister said:

Why does he need a break, we only play one game a week?

we need more than ‘steady’. Technically he is poor and there must be better available for less money

He needs a break cause he looks jaded and not playing to his full potential. If he played in another position he would have been dropped. 

A thread having a go a Michael Smith.

Thought I had seen it all.

Reminder why rarely come onto kickback.

Edited by J80MBO

8 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

A thread having a go a Michael Smith.

Thought I had seen it all.

Reminder why rarely come onto kickback.

Just an excuse really when we all know who is to blame. 

Worthing Jambo

Smith was the one that picked up the game in the second half.

If a few others had upped their game we would have won today.

He certainly tried that second half.

Might not have been at his best today but he is the least of our problems. One of the fews players in recent years that has maintained any kind of consistency and quality.

Bring in Rooney from st Johnston 

move smith to CB 

Rooney is strong has a bit of pace can defend and is a really good crosser of the ball 

5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Over rated. What the **** was he doing at the goal.  We’ve conceded a lot of chances down that right side this season

What an embarrassment on your part.

Been our most consistent player for a long time and one of our better right backs. I don’t think he has been himself since he was out with covid but hopefully that will just take time. Didn’t think he was at his best today but he tried to make things happen, especially in the second half. Thought he was one of the better performers today. Not that the standard was high.

4 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

We looked better up front with Nando on. He set up Walker’s goal and the one that GMS and Naismith fluffed. May have made something out of the corners we had in first half. 

Embarrassing  not playing 2 up front, especially at home. 

kingantti1874
49 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What an embarrassment on your part.

Been our most consistent player for a long time and one of our better right backs. I don’t think he has been himself since he was out with covid but hopefully that will just take time. Didn’t think he was at his best today but he tried to make things happen, especially in the second half. Thought he was one of the better performers today. Not that the standard was high.

Judging by this thread I don’t think I’m alone.  He has been the most consistent yes - in the 3 worst seasons I’ve ever had the most fortune to watch.

im simply observing that being our best player during that spell means nothing really, the bar is that low.. and that he shouldn’t be exempt from criticism when it’s due. Like today

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Judging by this thread I don’t think I’m alone.  He has been the most consistent yes - in the 3 worst seasons I’ve ever had the most fortune to watch.

im simply observing that being our best player during that spell means nothing really, the bar is that low.. and that he shouldn’t be exempt from criticism when it’s due. Like today

Hmm 18/19 season we finished 6th so I struggle to see how that’s the worst you’ve ever watched. Same with this season.

There’s no doubt Smith has been the best of a bad bunch in the last few years. I would have loved to see him in the 2006 team. For me it’s between Smith and Paterson for the best right back I’ve ever seen at Hearts. Maybe that says more about our right backs but he’s been a very steady, consistent, reliable player for us. You’re probably disappointed in his performances because he has set a high standard for himself.

10 hours ago, HoGwash said:

100% this. Because Halkett made an absolute erse of it and got beaten, everyone else in the defence had to shuffle over 1 place to the left, leaving the widest Morton man free. Smith had no choice but to move inside after Halkett's error.

Disagree. The boy in possession has a lot of work to do to score from there and Smith gave him the option of a final killer ball which wouldn’t have been on had Smith stayed where he was. You can’t leave space like that in behind you knowing there’s a runner there. If you go, you MUST win the ball or you’re at fault for the outcome. He made a difficult chance into an easy one for them.  

Jambo in Bathgate
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Disagree. The boy in possession has a lot of work to do to score from there and Smith gave him the option of a final killer ball which wouldn’t have been on had Smith stayed where he was. You can’t leave space like that in behind you knowing there’s a runner there. If you go, you MUST win the ball or you’re at fault for the outcome. He made a difficult chance into an easy one for them.  

Their goal also came from us not being awarded a corner. Poor refereeing. Although Smith should have covered the runner. 

Both Smith and Kingsley have been worse since they signed new contracts. Self motivation now gone and have switched off. Shameful.

That said there is a lot more than these two experienced professionals that haven't switched on for a couple of years nevermind off again.

Easy to blame Neilson but reality is many players have been half arsed and unprofessional under 3 managers now. 

42 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Both Smith and Kingsley have been worse since they signed new contracts. Self motivation now gone and have switched off. Shameful.

That said there is a lot more than these two experienced professionals that haven't switched on for a couple of years nevermind off again.

Easy to blame Neilson but reality is many players have been half arsed and unprofessional under 3 managers now. 

I agree to an extent but to me we look totally devoid of ideas and ways to break down teams like Morton etc who just sit and and hit on the break.

We  keep adding new players but they keep producing the same sort of dross. That for me it's starting to suggest that it is how the players are being coached and the style they are baing asked to play that is the problem.

I felt sorry for Smith at times yesterday when he is breaking forward up the wing and looking for some movement to allow the pass and invariably there is none.

kingantti1874
12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hmm 18/19 season we finished 6th so I struggle to see how that’s the worst you’ve ever watched. Same with this season.

There’s no doubt Smith has been the best of a bad bunch in the last few years. I would have loved to see him in the 2006 team. For me it’s between Smith and Paterson for the best right back I’ve ever seen at Hearts. Maybe that says more about our right backs but he’s been a very steady, consistent, reliable player for us. You’re probably disappointed in his performances because he has set a high standard for himself.

We hardly won after October in 18/19. So the worst 2.75 seasons I’ve ever watched 

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree to an extent but to me we look totally devoid of ideas and ways to break down teams like Morton etc who just sit and and hit on the break.

We  keep adding new players but they keep producing the same sort of dross. That for me it's starting to suggest that it is how the players are being coached and the style they are baing asked to play that is the problem.

I felt sorry for Smith at times yesterday when he is breaking forward up the wing and looking for some movement to allow the pass and invariably there is none.

Experienced professionals shouldn't need to be told to move into space to receive the ball. I just takes a bit more effort which most are not willing to give

Just now, jambopilms said:

Experienced professionals shouldn't need to be told to move into space to receive the ball. I just takes a bit more effort which most are not willing to give

I agree but why isn't it happening?

Experienced pros also know that if they don't play to the game plan given to them by the Manager then they will not be playing.

This is not something new our lack of movement used to happen under CL as well with the odd exception.

Ex member of the SaS

Not his best display ( especially his shot at goal ) but has been one of our better players for a while, Struggles to find someone up front to play the ball to, far too often, but that's not his fault. Any player who has a shot at goal with no pressure and missed then they need to go back to training better. Skimming the woodwork is the least that should happen and the other times the keeper saves or it's a goal, but to miss 2 or 3 yards wide or over is a disgrace at this level.

letsmakesomenoise
23 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

He was poor but no way as poor as Halliday, GMS or Naismith.

we have bigger problems than Smith

Has GMS got a “must play 90 minutes” clause in his contract, cos thats the only reason I can think of for that waste of space being on the pitch.  Rank rotten!

kingantti1874

I took some amount of stick for raising the thread.   Right now he’s offering nothing.  No worse than many of our players but he’s the one that seems to escape the stick.