Prince Philip

Sooperstar

3fingersreid

When my mother in law passed away in December , despite the restrictions my wife &  her brother were allowed to sit beside their dad at the service , 62 years married I’m not sure how my father in law would’ve coped sitting on his own . 
Regardless of the fact she’s the Queen ,surely someone would’ve been able to sit beside a wee old woman who’s lost her partner of 70 plus years , she looked like a wee lost soul ( unless she decided to be on her own) .

RIP. 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• JudyJudyJudy

• Nucky Thompson

• Shanks said no

Nucky Thompson
25 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

When my mother in law passed away in December , despite the restrictions my wife &  her brother were allowed to sit beside their dad at the service , 62 years married I’m not sure how my father in law would’ve coped sitting on his own . 
Regardless of the fact she’s the Queen ,surely someone would’ve been able to sit beside a wee old woman who’s lost her partner of 70 plus years , she looked like a wee lost soul ( unless she decided to be on her own) .

RIP. 

She didn't want the Covid police thinking she was taking the piss.

Although the Royals stuck to all the protocols, there will always be weirdos who will look for things to complain about.

FFS someone posted about them not wearing masks outside :rofl:

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

RIP. 

At last!

A respectful post on a thread that has been downright horrible in the main.

My Good God, how low can some folk stoop?

Well said, R.  :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

RIP. 

Didn't see the funeral as I am not a Royalist and detest the wall to wall coverage on TV. 

I can however feel sympathy for someone who has lost their life partner. 

Doesn't matter who you are we have all got to go sometime. 

At least the rest of us are able to grieve in private. 

I don't know how I'd cope without my wife, thankfully we are both in reasonable health. 

46 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Didn't see the funeral as I am not a Royalist and detest the wall to wall coverage on TV. 

I can however feel sympathy for someone who has lost their life partner. 

Doesn't matter who you are we have all got to go sometime. 

At least the rest of us are able to grieve in private. 

I don't know how I'd cope without my wife, thankfully we are both in reasonable health. 

With regard to your last sentence you will cope reasonably well. I take strength from the act that the grieving is not easy, the having to learn how to do all the things that you didn't is difficult but doable, the loneliness is difficult, the sadness for me doesn't seem to ebb, but the one thing I am grateful for is that it is I who is suffering these things, I would not liked to have had my wife suffer what I have in losing her. I also have to thank anonymously a JKB member who has dropped me messages just asking how I am doing, and seeing I am o.k, he has been a stalwart. I have every sympathy for the Queen I am sure like I she will have moments of thinking, I have to mention this to Philip, then realise he is not there anymore.  No amount of servants or riches can amend that. I can appreciate that there are people who have absolute dislike and disdain for the Royal system, but just give a wee break to someone who has lost the love and supporter of her life, she is really just another old woman who has lost her husband the love of her life.

alwaysthereinspirit
9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That was a simple funeral for a senior royal.

HMQ, will be 96 on Wednesday April 21st her actual birthday. The second Saturday in June being her official birthday( when trooping the colour normally takes place), which could coincide with the Duke of Edinburgh's actual birthday which was June the 10th.

They will be praying, hoping and having everything crossed that the Queen does not die this year, as she will be having a state funeral. The last state funeral was in very late August 1979, for Lord Louis Mountbatten who was murdered by the IRA. The last state funeral before that was for Sir Winston Churchill in January 1965. The gun carriage which is used for state funerals is kept at Hms Excellent, Whale Island Portsmouth, and is pulled by the Royal Navy, a tradition that started at the funeral of Queen Victoria, when the horses bolted from her funeral carriage at Windsor station and a young naval officer got the Naval ratings there to pull her funeral carriage instead of the horses. It takes 120 naval ratings to pull the gun carriage. 75 at the front and 45 at the rear.

There useful/useless information for you all.

Sounds silly to have 75 pulling it forward and 45 pulling it backwards. So 30 going forward would have sufficed? 🤪

The service was very nice. Felt so sorry for the Queen sitting alone like that.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

With regard to your last sentence you will cope reasonably well. I take strength from the act that the grieving is not easy, the having to learn how to do all the things that you didn't is difficult but doable, the loneliness is difficult, the sadness for me doesn't seem to ebb, but the one thing I am grateful for is that it is I who is suffering these things, I would not liked to have had my wife suffer what I have in losing her. I also have to thank anonymously a JKB member who has dropped me messages just asking how I am doing, and seeing I am o.k, he has been a stalwart. I have every sympathy for the Queen I am sure like I she will have moments of thinking, I have to mention this to Philip, then realise he is not there anymore.  No amount of servants or riches can amend that. I can appreciate that there are people who have absolute dislike and disdain for the Royal system, but just give a wee break to someone who has lost the love and supporter of her life, she is really just another old woman who has lost her husband the love of her life.

You need to be there I suppose, Bob.

When either you're young and full of disdain for the things your elders appear to value, or are warped by your political views, it's all too easy to utter your contempt for the things you perceive as being ******.

I was like that once, only now I'm an old **** I know it's all, ie, everything, a bit of a miserable waste of time. Some exceptional high points, but when it all meets it's inevitable conclusion, nowt really worth getting raging about.

Here endeth my "philosophy".

Wish it all was more than that.

10 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

She didn't want the Covid police thinking she was taking the piss.

Although the Royals stuck to all the protocols, there will always be weirdos who will look for things to complain about.

FFS someone posted about them not wearing masks outside :rofl:

I agree. Like when weirdos lost their shit when our FM took off her mask for a couple of seconds while socially distanced at a wake

manaliveits105
32 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I agree. Like when weirdos lost their shit when our FM took off her mask for a couple of seconds while socially distanced at a wake

All hail the great leader 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

:spoton:

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Just about sums it all up Bob

Keep well👍

Seymour M Hersh
16 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Are you actually looking to getting respect from the young?  Why?  

No. I was meaning for the DoE. 

McGlynn The Money
18 hours ago, lou said:

I had never heard of him, had to google him

Exactly.

18 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The reason I brought it up is that it is pretty raw. As I mentioned above, my Dad had to bury my aunt under those horrendous Covid rules and Irish funerals, Protestant or Catholic, are a very big deal in traditions and culture. To see the Shinners take the piss with that and get away with it sticks in the craw.

I can understand that but a bit irrelevant on this thread. The "Shinners" funeral as you call it was a local event which only really caused a stir in the tit for tat society of Northern Ireland.

The Duke's funeral was something which was much more difficult to avoid.

16 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

One day you might be looking for respect from those younger than you. I hope you'll think back to this moment when you don't receive any. 

Could be wrong but you've always struck me as a poster who could be a bit disrespectful yourself depending on the subject. Maybe in future you could advise what you consider to be disrespectful and what topics posters are allowed to joke about. Or you could just not be a hypocrite.

13 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

RIP. 

According to the papers, Liz chose no.2 son to sit closest to her. There's always a certain amount of theatre when the Coburgs are centre stage. I sympathise with any bereavement. We've all been through it and I don't believe for a minute that their loss is any different to any other. However it's all sorted now, and we can all move on......!

Seymour M Hersh
36 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Could be wrong but you've always struck me as a poster who could be a bit disrespectful yourself depending on the subject. Maybe in future you could advise what you consider to be disrespectful and what topics posters are allowed to joke about. Or you could just not be a hypocrite.

I can certainly be disrespectful and downright rude in posts I would not disagree with that. However never about the passing of someone even if I disagreed with their politics or whatever. So I don't believe I'm being hypocritical. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

McGlynn The Money
17 minutes ago, lou said:

I also had to google the word shinner 😳😳 

I think Geoff has a particular knowledge of this subject matter.

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I can certainly be disrespectful and downright rude in posts I would not disagree with that. However never about the passing of someone even if I disagreed with their politics or whatever. So I don't believe I'm being hypocritical. 

That's the thing though, where do you draw the line?  Just seems like double standards.

Edited by McGlynn The Money

Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I think Geoff has a particular knowledge of this subject matter.

That's the thing though, where do you draw the line?  Just seems like double standards.

Well I suppose the dead can't answer back while the living can still defend themselves (should they decide to come on a Hearts forum). 

McGlynn The Money
43 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well I suppose the dead can't answer back while the living can still defend themselves (should they decide to come on a Hearts forum). 

Could also argue that the dead won't read what was said so won't really care.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, XB52 said:

Correct 

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

According to the papers, Liz chose no.2 son to sit closest to her. There's always a certain amount of theatre when the Coburgs are centre stage. I sympathise with any bereavement. We've all been through it and I don't believe for a minute that their loss is any different to any other. However it's all sorted now, and we can all move on......!

Yes thats it over now. Lets move on. I have sympathy for anyone who has lost a lifelong partner of that length of time but lets more on now.  

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Could also argue that the dead won't read what was said so won't really care.

You could argue anything for the sake of it I suppose. 

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Stevie G standing with his hands in his pockets during the minute's silence. So disrespectful.

He's a scouser. He's just making sure nobody dips his pockets while his head is bowed.

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Welcome to JKB. 

:D

John Findlay

The Gun carriage being paraded through the streets of London for Sir Winston Churchill's funeral.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

John Findlay

The gun carriage being paraded through the streets of Londin for Lord Louis Mountbatten's funeral in London. Interesting footnote about Mountbatten's funeral. Japan were not represented at his funeral at his special request. He never forgave them for their conduct in the fighting in the far east during WWII.

the-coffin-draped-in-a-union-jack-rests-on-a-gun-carriage-news-photo-1598293186.jpg

22 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

RIP. 

Sorry for your loss, my thoughts entirely 

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

. He never forgave them for their conduct in the fighting in the far east during WWII.

Quite right too.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The gun carriage being paraded through the streets of Londin for Lord Louis Mountbatten's funeral in London. Interesting footnote about Mountbatten's funeral. Japan were not represented at his funeral at his special request. He never forgave them for their conduct in the fighting in the far east during WWII.

the-coffin-draped-in-a-union-jack-rests-on-a-gun-carriage-news-photo-1598293186.jpg

Didn't know that about him not wanting Japan represented at his funeral. 

Quite right.