Your Most Unpopular Opinions

Lord BJ

brunstanejambo
2 hours ago, superjack said:

I understand why some employers may discriminate against women, especially small firms. (Having to deal with maternity pay and mood swings. Also, whenever I've worked in an environment with a lot of women, the back stabbing is 100s of times worse than in a Male dominated workplace).

This! 

Thankfully I've only ever worked in one majority female environment for a very short time when I was younger, but it was a nightmare. Maybe it was just that small bunch, but as a group they could not get on with anyone about anything. 

Seems to be the same in the school that my wife works at now - majority female and they appear to be a bunch of unreasonable back stabbing bitches. 

Hopefully that doesn't come across too much like "I hate hibs" as I have very much enjoyed working with women since that job 30 years ago. Albeit, it's always been in a majority male environment since then. 

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Governor Tarkin

• Locky

• Justin Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personal faith is personal.  It has no place in other people's lives.

or

All gods are imaginary and all scripture is fiction.

or

Getting your morals from religion is like getting health advice from a tobacco company.

Female comedians just aren't funny (late Joan Rivers being the exception). Several are good comedy actors eg Victoria Wood.

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Pepsi is vastly superior to Coca Cola. 

I would have differed up to 2 year ago as I preferred Coke.   But since working in a country where Pepsi was dominant I have acquired the taste for Max.

19 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Female comedians just aren't funny (late Joan Rivers being the exception). Several are good comedy actors eg Victoria Wood.

I'd add that they're also good comedy writers. But for some reason, they struggle with stand up. 

HamishMcGonagall

The way that they're pushing all this gender identity onto kids at such a young age is a nonsense. Poor girls who not so long ago would just be thought of as a bit of a tomboy now have their heads all confused thinking they must be trans if they aren't a feminine girl. In america most doctors now have to provide affirmative therapy which means as soon as a kid goes to them and says "I think I'm a boy in a girl's body", the doctor agrees that they are, without actually carrying out any therapy to find where this feeling is coming from or what's caused it... they also start them on puberty blockers which can have a devastating long term effect, especially if they grow out of the trans fad further down the line.

If an anorexic goes to the doctor and says "I think I'm fat"... the doctor doesn't say "you're right, your are fat, let's get you on a diet program" yet when it comes to trans this is the kind of therapy they're supposed to provide and any doctor who refuses is hounded and shamed by the trans community.

I'm in no way against adults doing whatever they want to their bodies but kids shouldn't be subjected to this at their age.

1 hour ago, robroy1874 said:

Agreed.

Joan Rivers was just brilliant, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Is she not about 12, Jeffros?

I know you angry Spaniards have different standards, like.

She'll fit right in up Lothian Road then

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Smithee said:

She'll fit right in up Lothian Road then

I didn't know Lothian Road was still a destination for the youngsters.

It was like combat alley back in the 90's.

7 hours ago, Locky said:

Positive discrimination is a huge thing in workplaces. I used to be a Traffic Warden in town, and if I was told to do a beat that I didn't know, I was given a list of the streets and told to work it out myself. I saw females do the same and they'd get taken out and shown round the streets by someone who knew it.

I've yet to figure out how discrimination an ever be positive. 

It's predominately used about the most discriminated in our society. 

White, straight, married middle - aged working class men.. (ie me). 

Thats (one of) my unpopular opinions. 

Finishing work early tonight, hope I don't get too bevvied then remember about this thread in the early hours!  

44 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I've yet to figure out how discrimination an ever be positive. 

It's predominately used about the most discriminated in our society. 

White, straight, married middle - aged working class men.. (ie me). 

Thats (one of) my unpopular opinions. 

Finishing work early tonight, hope I don't get too bevvied then remember about this thread in the early hours!  

Positive discrimination isn't as obvious a problem, but it is still an issue.

A good example is the rule they want to bring in down south in football, where a 'quota' of black managers need to be considered for every coaching vacancy. Many black coaches are totally against it and don't want to be interviewed or giving a job just to suit a box ticking exercise. I can't speak from experience as I'm a white, straight, working class male too, but I imagine it must feel a little patronising to have a fuss made over you just because of your race, sexuality, disability etc.

There's a lot of emphasis on the protected characteristics these days, but in my eyes, anybody can be discriminated against. If me and a black person go for a job, and the employer wants the black person to fit a quota, they're discriminating against me for not being black. As you say, straight, white men are discriminated against, but because generations of straight, white men, have apparently had it better, we aren't considered.

I don't think we'll ever see a world where no one is discriminated against.

Kylie Minogue looks like a bairn

Ronnie James Dio fronted Sabbath were great

Wolf of Wall Street is boring 

Cats are as much fun as dogs

21 hours ago, JWL said:

Only Fools and Horses is the most overrated sitcom ever, utter shite.

Was just about to say that ! Cant stand it..

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It was right that " Forrest Gump" bet " The Shawshank Redemption" and " Pulp fiction" for the Best Film Oscar

No disagreement here. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

No disagreement here. 

Its a superb film with interesting themes.  The other two are very overrated imo. 

4 hours ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

The way that they're pushing all this gender identity onto kids at such a young age is a nonsense. Poor girls who not so long ago would just be thought of as a bit of a tomboy now have their heads all confused thinking they must be trans if they aren't a feminine girl. In america most doctors now have to provide affirmative therapy which means as soon as a kid goes to them and says "I think I'm a boy in a girl's body", the doctor agrees that they are, without actually carrying out any therapy to find where this feeling is coming from or what's caused it... they also start them on puberty blockers which can have a devastating long term effect, especially if they grow out of the trans fad further down the line.

If an anorexic goes to the doctor and says "I think I'm fat"... the doctor doesn't say "you're right, your are fat, let's get you on a diet program" yet when it comes to trans this is the kind of therapy they're supposed to provide and any doctor who refuses is hounded and shamed by the trans community.

I'm in no way against adults doing whatever they want to their bodies but kids shouldn't be subjected to this at their age.

Very interesting.  It have no issues if a child identifies themselves as a gender not the same as their biological sex.  However i think it is worrying that it is not more fully explored with these children by professionals.  There have been instances of adult trans men who were obviously female in their youth but knew they were lesbian and were so ashamed of this they wanted to be as far aware as possible from this so went down the trans route.  There are also instances of boys who may just be camp/ feminine and them receiving societal messages from the media etc they may be female .  Another thing is children , in particular at the adolescence stage want to rebel so there is an element of rebellion to their behaviours. albeit extreme.   I think dishing out puberty blockers to children is medical negligence really.  

I don't see why many of these opinions are unpopular at all.

Except, Dio may have been the greatest guitarist in the world, but no way did he replace Ozzy.

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very interesting.  It have no issues if a child identifies themselves as a gender not the same as their biological sex.  However i think it is worrying that it is not more fully explored with these children by professionals.  There have been instances of adult trans men who were obviously female in their youth but knew they were lesbian and were so ashamed of this they wanted to be as far aware as possible from this so went down the trans route.  There are also instances of boys who may just be camp/ feminine and them receiving societal messages from the media etc they may be female .  Another thing is children , in particular at the adolescence stage want to rebel so there is an element of rebellion to their behaviours. albeit extreme.   I think dishing out puberty blockers to children is medical negligence really.  

Its an interesting subject. I know up here that before they give out hormones they put you to Cornhill and go through everything thoroughly over several appointments. Im not sure how they could deny the choice though but certainly its not a case of accepting it immediately. There is also a link between Aspergers and Transgendering. 

I do and dont have an issue with it. Mainly for reasons you have mentioned above. I think you have to be open to the idea but as you say hormone blocking a child during puberty sounds horrifically negligent. Had my sister decided she was trans not a lesbian Id want her to have at least developed as she did then be able to make a choice. Not make a choice then have no route back as she grew up and matured and could think about things more carefully and thoroughly. More importantly before she could understand and who she was.

Just now, sadj said:

Its an interesting subject. I know up here that before they give out hormones they put you to Cornhill and go through everything thoroughly over several appointments. Im not sure how they could deny the choice though but certainly its not a case of accepting it immediately. There is also a link between Aspergers and Transgendering. 

I do and dont have an issue with it. Mainly for reasons you have mentioned above. I think you have to be open to the idea but as you say hormone blocking a child during puberty sounds horrifically negligent. Had my sister decided she was trans not a lesbian Id want her to have at least developed as she did then be able to make a choice. Not make a choice then have no route back as she grew up and matured and could think about things more carefully and thoroughly. More importantly before she could understand and who she was.

Good points. The trans lobby ( some of the more militant) believe that a person knows from a young age that they are a different sex ( completely ignoring societal influences ) .  They counter act that gay or lesbian and straight people know their sexual orientation from an early age .  However although i feel this is the case it does not involve medications which have serious implications for a persons physical development.  They cant transit back to their original sex once its done its done. 

Now I get that the Prestonpans thread someone started earlier was unpopular, at least what passed for humour on it.  But some of the more enlightened posters later in the thread made me pause for introspection, and made me realise the subject wasn't one for humour

Why remove something when it has a positive outcome in that it makes us think about things, and helps us grow as a person and then try and put the Neanderthal comments about such things behind us?

been here before

The belief that if we had been safe from relegation last year we wouldnt have voted to end the season early and send Hamilton/Hibs/St Mirren down.

And that we wouldnt have laughed like **** about it on here.

FinnBarr Saunders
46 minutes ago, sadj said:

My mate moved up to Portknockie in the 80s to work offshore, fell oot wi his wife and ended up in a OAP flat in Stoney in the 2000s. To cut along story short he ended up in Cornhill through drink. Got himself a wee burd fi Cornhill and was allowed to visit for a day and take her and 2 other residents for a days outing! He got barred from visiting after taking them to a pub.

The percentage of minorities on TV particularly on adverts is far higher than the percentage of minorities in the country. 

Positive discrimination.

46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Good points. The trans lobby ( some of the more militant) believe that a person knows from a young age that they are a different sex ( completely ignoring societal influences ) .  They counter act that gay or lesbian and straight people know their sexual orientation from an early age .  However although i feel this is the case it does not involve medications which have serious implications for a persons physical development.  They cant transit back to their original sex once its done its done. 

I think thats one of the biggest dangers is the societal pressures , societal norms have a lot to answer for in terms of mental health aswell. 

Im not sure that is always the case but i think in most cases it is fair to say that people know early in life but as you say the physical development and if a person changes their decision then there is nowhere to go if it is handled wrongly. 

I believe there was a case in court in the UK recently whereby a child that was allowed to transition then took the NHS to court because they had changed their mind but had been given puberty blockers and they believed the NHS hadn’t challenged them enough on the transition. 

5 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

My mate moved up to Portknockie in the 80s to work offshore, fell oot wi his wife and ended up in a OAP flat in Stoney in the 2000s. To cut along story short he ended up in Cornhill through drink. Got himself a wee burd fi Cornhill and was allowed to visit for a day and take her and 2 other residents for a days outing! He got barred from visiting after taking them to a pub.

Not been in Portknockie in a good while. Theres caves you can walk through from there to Buckie if i remember correctly. I can just imagine the reaction at Cornhill when they came back drunk. 

3 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Men who are bald on top but grow a pony tail should be lifted, shaved, slapped and released with a warning never to do it again.

Thats not unpopular it is entirely accurate and I believe its actually law..... Likewise Man buns should receive the same treatment

27 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Men who are bald on top but grow a pony tail should be lifted, shaved, slapped and released with a warning never to do it again.

Totally agree!

Males who are over the age of 14, or are not playing a game of football, should be nowhere near a football top.

Especially the fat ones.  😫

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Thats not unpopular it is entirely accurate and I believe its actually law..... Likewise Man buns should receive the same treatment

Both should come with a kick in the knackers aswell.. 

12 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Sean Connery was a dinosaur who advocated wife beating and was a crap actor.  A thoroughly unlikable man.  

Best 007 though.. And that's, what matters.. 

Smokers, should be docked for every break they take, other than main "lunch" break.. 

Every single workplace I've been in (been working for 29 years) smokers ALWAYS get extra dispensation when it comes breaks.. A little bit of leeway.. "oh he/she was just finishing their fag.." 

Yeah? Well don't moan at me when I'm just finishing staring into space contemplating **** all.. Its as important to me for my stress levels as future cancer is to them. 

****ers. 

timothy dalton was the best bond and closer to the source material. connery had too many cheesy one liners, moore was a bit too much comedy, lazenby was ok and OHMSS was a good film, brosnan was awful and daniel craigs bond tried too hard to be another jason bourne

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Your Most Unpopular Opinions