Your Most Unpopular Opinions

Lord BJ

5 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

100% Agree on this one .

I left school over 10 years ago and I see jobs what are asking for school grades I now don't apply for because I don't have them. My mate is a area manager for the royal mail and he said no one is bothered about school grades now its all about experience Which is a load of crap because If you look for jobs with the NHS and Government roles they show what the min is there expecting if you put in an application without grades they will ask for them or a instant deny if you add them. Its a bit much that company's are asking for school grades and they could have folk who got crap grades or no grades at all but the experience they have gained in the last 10 years working since leaving school but they won't take the application further because of some exams you took when you were 15/16. 

When did you leave school? I dunno how true this is but I have heard the SQA don't have any records pre-96 so you could just make them up. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Governor Tarkin

• Justin Z

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

100% Agree on this one .

I left school over 10 years ago and I see jobs what are asking for school grades I now don't apply for because I don't have them. My mate is an area manager for the royal mail and he said no one is bothered about school grades now its all about experience Which is a load of crap because If you look for jobs with the NHS and Government roles they show what the min is there expecting if you put in an application without grades they will ask for them or a instant deny if you add them. Its a bit much that company's are asking for school grades and they could have folk who got crap grades or no grades at all but the experience they have gained in the last 10 years working since leaving school but they won't take the application further because of some exams you took when you were 15/16. 

Yup. I left school in 2009 and only did 1 year at college, but have pretty much been in full time employment since. I know for a fact that I've got bags more experience than people my age who've spent their life in education. That's not to say they're not cut out for jobs, but some require skills that can't be learned at university.

I started in Civil Service a couple of years ago along with people from a whole host of different backgrounds. Majority of them had done some sort of University degree, but one of them even had a doctorate FFS! Despite that though, while there's no denying they're all very intelligent people, they don't seem to have the same knack for customer service and people management as say myself, and a few others who came from a similar background to me. Despite that though, we'd probably be overlooked for a management role.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I don't mind the police having German Shepherds but members of the public having them is a concern. 

I’ve had 5 in my family over the years so maybe sways my feelings about them a bit but I know what you mean. I’ve came across a couple of more aggressive ones but I blame the owner with that. They’re as soft as shite if you treat them right. 

People who are religious aren't all stupid idiots. Religion isn't actually a bad idea. 

It might be a load of bollocks but that doesn't make it a bad thing. 

Religion is not the main cause of war. The majority of wars are caused by a person or group of people looking to increase their influence and power. Those who have the influence and power just use religion to gain support for it. 

Edited by Norm
3 minutes ago, Norm said:

When did you leave school? I dunno how true this is but I have heard the SQA don't have any records pre-96 so you could just make them up. 

2008 - I am fine in my role now it was before this when looking for jobs - You would see a job you like and then get hit with the Min Grade levels they wanted . 

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Yup. I left school in 2009 and only did 1 year at college, but have pretty much been in full time employment since. I know for a fact that I've got bags more experience than people my age who've spent their life in education. That's not to say they're not cut out for jobs, but some require skills that can't be learned at university.

I started in Civil Service a couple of years ago along with people from a whole host of different backgrounds. Majority of them had done some sort of University degree, but one of them even had a doctorate FFS! Despite that though, while there's no denying they're all very intelligent people, they don't seem to have the same knack for customer service and people management as say myself, and a few others who came from a similar background to me. Despite that though, we'd probably be overlooked for a management role.

I started in a bank 5 years ago I was there 3 years this sort of patter was massive there . You could take 10 new starts and 8 of them have came out of school , retail , college no Uni degree to their name the two new starts with a degree has no customer experience and this could be their first job Management would jump on this and before you know it they were right there arse licking there way into promotions while the others would get rejected for the positions. I seen it so many times when I was with TSB it was incredible. 

Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

I started in a bank 5 years ago I was there 3 years this sort of patter was massive there . You could take 10 new starts and 8 of them have came out of school , retail , college no Uni degree to their name the two new starts with a degree has no customer experience and this could be their first job Management would jump on this and before you know it they were right there arse licking there way into promotions while the others would get rejected for the positions. I seen it so many times when I was with TSB it was incredible. 

I've been looking at vacancies within the Scottish Government. To make a level transfer I need 8 standard grades minimum, and to go up a grade, I need 3 highers! It's ****ing mental.

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Is it not just that they were arse lickers, as opposed to uni folk? Worked in banks, call centres, shit like that for years and it always the arse lickers, regardless of education level. 

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve had 5 in my family over the years so maybe sways my feelings about them a bit but I know what you mean. I’ve came across a couple of more aggressive ones but I blame the owner with that. They’re as soft as shite if you treat them right. 

Tbh I know there's a place in society for working dogs although I can't think of one job that a dog does that you couldn't train a Weegie to do. 

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Is it not just that they were arse lickers, as opposed to uni folk? Worked in banks, call centres, shit like that for years and it always the arse lickers, regardless of education level. 

Yeah there is always arse lickers in these places I have came across loads of them in my time working in banking and call centres. The place I am working in now is more laid back not that sort of environment but the role is dead end and no career progression.  

The way it was in my time there was if you even went to uni and dropped out you have it on the CV and the management at the time were right on this there was a huge divide within this company.  

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Tbh I know there's a place in society for working dogs although I can't think of one job that a dog does that you couldn't train a Weegie to do. 

😆

Riddley Walker

Applying for jobs is all about playing the game and matching and twisting your experience to the essential criteria in the job spec. I've started emboldening phrases that match the essential criteria so that it's really easy for the employer to look through your covering letter and see that you've covered the main points. When they're looking through potentially tens, hundreds of applications they aren't going to be reading them properly and this way they can glance through it and it's tough for them not to give you an interview if you've clearly and demonstrably matched the essential criteria. You should make sure you change your CV and covering letter for every application. It's amazing how good you can make jobs that you've done sound if you put some thought into it. 

It's all a pile of bullshit but so is most work in general so may as well play the game. 

Having qualifications doesn't make you a better worker, obviously, but it's a way for the employer to limit and filter applications and having done study shows that you can commit to something, I suppose. 

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Applying for jobs is all about playing the game and matching and twisting your experience to the essential criteria in the job spec. I've started emboldening phrases that match the essential criteria so that it's really easy for the employer to look through your covering letter and see that you've covered the main points. When they're looking through potentially tens, hundreds of applications they aren't going to be reading them properly and this way they can glance through it and it's tough for them not to give you an interview if you've clearly and demonstrably matched the essential criteria. You should make sure you change your CV and covering letter for every application. It's amazing how good you can make jobs that you've done sound if you put some thought into it. 

It's all a pile of bullshit but so is most work in general so may as well play the game. 

Having qualifications doesn't make you a better worker, obviously, but it's a way for the employer to limit and filter applications and having done study shows that you can commit to something, I suppose. 

You're spot on Riddley. It's just trying to learn how to play the game for me. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears in that respect. Luckily, a mate of mine in work has a lot of experience in recruitment, so when I do want to go for something in this place, he'll be my go to guy.

Riddley Walker
3 minutes ago, Locky said:

You're spot on Riddley. It's just trying to learn how to play the game for me. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears in that respect. Luckily, a mate of mine in work has a lot of experience in recruitment, so when I do want to go for something in this place, he'll be my go to guy.

Aye its really good to have someone to learn from or read over your app and give you decent feedback. I used to be awful at them but my missus has always been great at that sort of thing and basically taught me how to do them properly years ago :lol: 

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

Billie Piper isn’t attractive. 

Damn right she isn't a patch on Nicola Sturgeon .

3 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Aye its really good to have someone to learn from or read over your app and give you decent feedback. I used to be awful at them but my missus has always been great at that sort of thing and basically taught me how to do them properly years ago :lol: 

I'm a lot better with interviews. I find it more comfortable trying to sell myself in person where people can see who I am rather than trying to write it down. Gift of the gab and all that. :lol: 

Riddley Walker

I actually have an interview on Tuesday for an internal promotion and I'm absolutely stressed out my ****ing box with it. Only had 10 day's notice because they had so many applications it took them ages to sift through them. 

Insanely busy with work this week, daughter is 5 and mental (in a fun way, but still) and my other half is working in the hospital all week so I'm sole parenting. Feel like I've no time to do my work, never mind prep properly for the interview. First world problems I know, but **** me, having a horrendous week and need to stop looking at KB  :lol:

Der Kaiser
2 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

Does anyone else disagree that the lyrics below are a FULL recital of Mr. David's week? 

Screenshot_20210218_102046_com.android.chrome.jpg

Yeah but he doesn't sing it like that.... he says they chilled on Thursday,  Fri......I cant do this again......I'm at work, I've got stuff to do.....I cant do this again....I know I'm right and the rest of the whole world is wrong......I know that statistically I appear wrong against such a mass of oppositely thinking people and I even look foolish but I'm right. I believe it.......I'm right. You're all wrong. 

Too much of my life is dictated by this....

The Commitments and The Blues Brothers are 2 of the most overrated films ever made. Utter dugshite the pair of them.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, superjack said:

The royal family should be dropped completely and the UK become a republic.

Firing squad for them first but aye totally agree☺️

Brighton Jambo

Sean Connery was a dinosaur who advocated wife beating and was a crap actor.  A thoroughly unlikable man.  

1 hour ago, Locky said:

I'm a ****, no doubt. But was one of the nicest traffic wardens you could meet. I was told so many, many times. :wub: 

🤣 Was that after the pretty lady with the big boobs got off without a ticket 😉

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Trying hard not to judge

I didnt say it was my opinion just an unpopular opinion.....😏 #stillwould

But only if i could travel back in time to her Like A Virgin time

1 hour ago, Locky said:

What about dugs?

Dugs dogs are ok but Dugs dugs arent

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

🤣

Riddley Walker
35 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Yeah but he doesn't sing it like that.... he says they chilled on Thursday,  Fri......I cant do this again......I'm at work, I've got stuff to do.....I cant do this again....I know I'm right and the rest of the whole world is wrong......I know that statistically I appear wrong against such a mass of oppositely thinking people and I even look foolish but I'm right. I believe it.......I'm right. You're all wrong. 

Too much of my life is dictated by this....

:rofl:

You're gonna have 'it was only six' on your gravestone. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Mushrooms are the work of the devil. 

There have been a number of occasions over the years where I would agree with this.

50 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

I actually have an interview on Tuesday for an internal promotion and I'm absolutely stressed out my ****ing box with it. Only had 10 day's notice because they had so many applications it took them ages to sift through them. 

Insanely busy with work this week, daughter is 5 and mental (in a fun way, but still) and my other half is working in the hospital all week so I'm sole parenting. Feel like I've no time to do my work, never mind prep properly for the interview. First world problems I know, but **** me, having a horrendous week and need to stop looking at KB  :lol:

What you need is a Mafia game to take your mind off things... :whistling:

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

100% Agree on this one .

I left school over 10 years ago and I see jobs what are asking for school grades I now don't apply for because I don't have them. My mate is an area manager for the royal mail and he said no one is bothered about school grades now its all about experience Which is a load of crap because If you look for jobs with the NHS and Government roles they show what the min is there expecting if you put in an application without grades they will ask for them or a instant deny if you add them. Its a bit much that company's are asking for school grades and they could have folk who got crap grades or no grades at all but the experience they have gained in the last 10 years working since leaving school but they won't take the application further because of some exams you took when you were 15/16. 

Just make it up. Nobody will ever check

Ainsley Harriott
36 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

British TV could do with more entertainers like Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris.

Spat my Tea out

Ainsley Harriott

The Union Flag should be flown at every public building in Scotland and our kids should start the school day with a quick blast of God Save The Queen

Edited by Ainsley Harriott

Spending most of the build up to Christmas trying to introduce the subject of Diehard being a Christmas film into any conversation doesn’t make you interesting and edgy you ****ing dullard. 

iantjambo
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Spending most of the build up to Christmas trying to introduce the subject of Diehard being a Christmas film into any conversation doesn’t make you interesting and edgy you ****ing dullard. 

It is though :lol:

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

It is though :lol:

You dont need to try and introduce it just is..it always will be and you need to accept it Tazio

Arnold Rimmer was correct and Gazpacho is supposed to be served hot. 

Its not a ****ing soup if its cold and your granny hisnae made it for you at some point

Riddley Walker
31 minutes ago, Boof said:

What you need is a Mafia game to take your mind off things... :whistling:

I think it would have the opposite effect and add to it :lol:

Dagger Is Back

Scotland could very well self implode if independent

UK equivalent of chain gangs should be introduced

Death penalty should be re-introduced for rape, paedophile offences, first degree murder and terrorism

A public body should enforce pavement and dangerous parking with the culprits being heavily fined 

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, superjack said:

The royal family should be dropped completely and the UK become a republic.

Tony Blair would have been a good President. 

Mikey1874

Independence is a divisive, negative force.

But Scotland would succeed as an independent nation. 

26 minutes ago, sadj said:

You dont need to try and introduce it just is..it always will be and you need to accept it Tazio

That’s not my point, it’s the fact that sadsacks think it makes them interesting arguing the point. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That’s not my point, it’s the fact that sadsacks think it makes them interesting arguing the point. 

👍🏻 Sorry i picked you up wrongly 🤣 #diehardisthechristmasfilm

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Your Most Unpopular Opinions