Your Most Unpopular Opinions

Lord BJ

Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

In the bank I worked in you would always see some tit who is out looking for a promotion speaking to that manager of that department or team they would be applying to as if a drunken chat would get you the job . Also you would hear story's of people in relationships or partners pumping each other in house .  

I suppose it beats getting coked up at (Safeway staff night 1997 or 98) and sitting at the managers table and spraffing shit, not remembering a thing until your colleagues fill in the blanks the following morning 😂

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• Locky

• sadj

• Justin Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

I suppose it beats getting coked up at (Safeway staff night 1997 or 98) and sitting at the managers table and spraffing shit, not remembering a thing until your colleagues fill in the blanks the following morning 😂

Was this Safeway at the Gyle by any chance ? a notorious place for a works night out like this ?  

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Was this Safeway at the Gyle by any chance ? a notorious place for a works night out like this ?  

Safeway at Hunters Tryst was fairly wild too iirc.

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

The very same 😂 we had so many from the local area, East Craig's, Clerry, Drumbrae, Corstorphine all working there it was bound to end up getting messy 🤭😂

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The very same 😂 we had so many from the local area, East Craig's, Clerry, Drumbrae, Corstorphine all working there it was bound to end up getting messy 🤭😂

I worked in Morrisons for a couple of years when leaving school. MTV could of went in their with a camera man and filmed a show like Geordie shore the place was mental . You could someone in your department to keep something to themselves and by the end of your shift the whole shop knew what was going on 😂 The nights out and Christmas party were write offs too. 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I worked in Morrisons for a couple of years when leaving school. MTV could of went in their with a camera man and filmed a show like Geordie shore the place was mental . You could someone in your department to keep something to themselves and by the end of your shift the whole shop knew what was going on 😂 The nights out and Christmas party were write offs too. 

Another good thing about that Safeway it was mostly Jambos who worked there. Getting cup finals and semi finals off was a pain in the arse especially throughout the 1990s. It came to if you wanted the final off then you weren't getting the semi. So we'd all be in the canteen with the radio on listening to the football. The only time ever I got away with taking over an hour for my lunch.

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Another good thing about that Safeway it was mostly Jambos who worked there. Getting cup finals and semi finals off was a pain in the arse especially throughout the 1990s. It came to if you wanted the final off then you weren't getting the semi. So we'd all be in the canteen with the radio on listening to the football. The only time ever I got away with taking over an hour for my lunch.

That is the only job I have had where the majority of staff were Jambos. I was speaking to my mate a few weeks on this and Hearts out numbered Hibs fans in the place along with the few Rangers fans. it was like 28 Jambos to 8 Hibs fans. 

Hearts never got to any Semi or Finals when I was there so never had that issue BUT I would of went to extreme lengths to get it off with a call to the doctors a week before getting a sick line . Would never miss a semi or final 😂 - On that topic my dad got me tickets for a Liverpool game and there was no holidays for they days I either asked for it off they found out I needed it off and rejected it I call in sick they would of knowing were I was OR don't mention it and then call in sick the morning I travel down. I called in sick at Gretna service station in the car and the following day playing a round of golf in Liverpool had to call from the hotel 🙄 never been so worried or scared since my manager was asking me to contact her every two hours and call the doctor THAT got patched and the phone got turned off .

I always enjoyed my work nights out when still working on fish farms then building sites. A certain level of nutter was expected and the nights out were great. Everyone on a mess, some disco biscuits passed around, generally a good night.

Now though, after the free meal and a couple of drinks, I usually head out with a few guys who I actually like and go for a scoop. No chemically misbehaving now (I just cant be arsed personally, haven't since my very early 30s). Only the senior managers, lab staff and arse lickers hang around after the meal.

11 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

That is the only job I have had where the majority of staff were Jambos. I was speaking to my mate a few weeks on this and Hearts out numbered Hibs fans in the place along with the few Rangers fans. it was like 28 Jambos to 8 Hibs fans. 

Hearts never got to any Semi or Finals when I was there so never had that issue BUT I would of went to extreme lengths to get it off with a call to the doctors a week before getting a sick line . Would never miss a semi or final 😂 - On that topic my dad got me tickets for a Liverpool game and there was no holidays for they days I either asked for it off they found out I needed it off and rejected it I call in sick they would of knowing were I was OR don't mention it and then call in sick the morning I travel down. I called in sick at Gretna service station in the car and the following day playing a round of golf in Liverpool had to call from the hotel 🙄 never been so worried or scared since my manager was asking me to contact her every two hours and call the doctor THAT got patched and the phone got turned off .

I never took sickies exception this once... One night my partner in crime stayed over and it was a Friday morning and I was waking up to get ready for work however she convinced me to phone in no need to ask how she convinced me 😉. We'd gone out that night and the following morning she managed to talk me into phoning in again. Unfortunately I was seen out and must have said something because I was told to get my arse in work asap. 

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

I always enjoyed my work nights out when still working on fish farms then building sites. A certain level of nutter was expected and the nights out were great. Everyone on a mess, some disco biscuits passed around, generally a good night.

Now though, after the free meal and a couple of drinks, I usually head out with a few guys who I actually like and go for a scoop. No chemically misbehaving now (I just cant be arsed personally, haven't since my very early 30s). Only the senior managers, lab staff and arse lickers hang around after the meal.

We all ended up going to Pure after one staff party. We had a couple of sweeties each and the rest is history 🤭😂

As far as unpopular opinions go, all drugs should be decriminalised and made available to those who want them. Its the illegality and notoriety that makes them attractive to the young. Also have specific houses were users can go and use them in a safe environment where they have the information at hand to get themselves off them when the time is right.

Edited by Marvin
21 minutes ago, superjack said:

Funnily enough my dept manager was one of 4 maybe 5 hibs fans in the store. He usually gave me a Saturday off if I asked. Between him and the Deli counter manager we had the best looking girls in our respective departments even better than the checkouts who were always pretty. 

Probably not all that unpopular of an opinion, but it seems to be in my work.

Leaving to go to a better paid job, or getting a promotion, does not merit a whip round. Why the **** should I give someone who's going to be earning £10k more than me a year, any of my hard earned? Sign a card, maybe a small token gift. But money? Just **** off.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Leaving to go to a better paid job, or getting a promotion, does not merit a whip round. Why the **** should I give someone who's going to be earning £10k more than me a year, any of my hard earned? Sign a card, maybe a small token gift. But money? Just **** off.

Mate at TSB a girl left customer service to become a relationship manager we were all sat on the same floor of the office. No word of a lie she moved about 30 foot over the walk way to her new desk and there was a whip round and a leaving night . 

Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

Mate at TSB a girl left customer service to become a relationship manager we were all sat on the same floor of the office. No word of a lie she moved about 30 foot over the walk way to her new desk and there was a whip round and a leaving night . 

Mental eh? They try to get us to have whip rounds for birthdays too. I hate it all. If they're properly leaving, or retiring, farewell drinks is perfectly fine. Even birthday drinks. I'd have zero problems with making sure collectively, that the person involved pays for as little as possible.

Internal moves though merit **** all more than a card as far as I'm concerned.

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Mental eh? They try to get us to have whip rounds for birthdays too. I hate it all. If they're properly leaving, or retiring, farewell drinks is perfectly fine. Even birthday drinks. I'd have zero problems with making sure collectively, that the person involved pays for as little as possible.

Internal moves though merit **** all more than a card as far as I'm concerned.

This patter in the office reeks. 

When I was coming to the end of my time with TSB I got moved teams and I went to this new team with another two people right away I was hit with its Elisha birthday on the 26th are you giving money this is what we are getting her we need £5 now min. I was like is that SO ? are you doing this for my birthday Yeah we will when is your birthday ? the 22nd . DID I F get anything . I never gave any money for leaving, birthday etc. 

In my job now its the same a very small office always some arse looking for money to donate to. 

17 minutes ago, Locky said:

Especially for those that have been there for hardly any time at all, the folk that have been there for years and finally get a move? Yeah maybe, folk that have been there less than a year and decide it's not for them? No chance!

Birthdays unless it's 21, 30, 40, 50 etc get nothing, those that do it's a token amount especially when it's a huge department and a quid each would easily get the person over a hundred quid in presents/vouchers

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Ha, I was going to post something similar earlier. However unlike you I wasn’t going to restrict it to just the women in Scotland. Britain in general isn’t the most attractive country. Kind of doughy looking people everywhere. 
I echo ML’s theory on people whose parents are from different backgrounds being attractive. So much so I married someone with a Lebanese father.  For reference also see Shakira and Salma Hayek. 

Agreed. Much as I like NE England, you've never really seen fat and ugly en masse until you've flown out of Newcastle airport.   :ermm: 

Looking at Geordies in their natural habitat usually makes me feel fit & healthy and happy to be Scottish.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Auld Reekin'
14 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Especially for those that have been there for hardly any time at all, the folk that have been there for years and finally get a move? Yeah maybe, folk that have been there less than a year and decide it's not for them? No chance!

Birthdays unless it's 21, 30, 40, 50 etc get nothing, those that do it's a token amount especially when it's a huge department and a quid each would easily get the person over a hundred quid in presents/vouchers

yeah it seems to be the big birthdays in here what get donations. There is a woman I work with who always has her hands out. She done some charity step thing 500k steps in the month of Jan every days she would take her total and work it down from 500k emails were sent out to donate all over social media too her and the husband would combine there daily steps and aim to hit 500k. she made £400 for charity these steps included the time she walked too and from her desk to the printer or the canteen hardly an achievement . I refused to donate had nothing to do with this. she took to Facebook to thank everyone who donated and ended it with WE ALL KNOW WHO DONATED thanks.  

Shes always looking for hand me downs , donations , always got issues with her health , her husbands health , cant have a kid , cat , her house , leaks , roofs , sofa  the list goes on she is depressing and crap at her job.   

28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

For the vast majority of people who do charity work, the main motivation is being attractive to the opposite sex.

Or for the good of their career (I don't mean charity chuggers etc), i'll openly admit that my involvement on the board of trustee's for a charity was simply for my CV/the experience 

9 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Or for the good of their career (I don't mean charity chuggers etc), i'll openly admit that my involvement on the board of trustee's for a charity was simply for my CV/the experience 

Good point 👍

So...sex, career...and the rest have a personal attachment to a charity based on personal circumstances/tragedy.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Good point 👍

So...sex, career...and the rest have a personal attachment to a charity based on personal circumstances/tragedy.

I'd imagine that covers 99.9% of unpaid charity work

1 hour ago, Locky said:

I hate the whip round thing at work. A lassie recently left our place, she started last February, was shielding (I am dubious about her reasons as she would be seen at shops, in cafes etc) and she even refused to come on site after shielding was stopped. She hasn't been on site since last march, couldn't be trained in most of her job. She handed in her notice and an whip round was started. Although most people moaned about putting in cash, I refused. Wouldn't even sign the card.

Another guy left a few years ago, laziest bugger I have ever known, would tell constant lies to try and get out of work, would then hide behind his religion to pretend he didn't lie. When he left, I wouldn't have given him the steam off my piss, let alone tuppence for the collection.

The same when folk have bairns. When a couple of folk I genuinely like had kids, I gave them something directly. To me, give something to someone you genuinely like, deck the rest.

56 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yeah, it was like that in my work! I started 2 and a half years ago at the start of a big recruitment drive. Everyone in question started after me. Asking me to chip in a tenner because someone I've known for 9 months is leaving to go and make more money than me? GTF.

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

I hate the whip round thing at work. A lassie recently left our place, she started last February, was shielding (I am dubious about her reasons as she would be seen at shops, in cafes etc) and she even refused to come on site after shielding was stopped. She hasn't been on site since last march, couldn't be trained in most of her job. She handed in her notice and an whip round was started. Although most people moaned about putting in cash, I refused. Wouldn't even sign the card.

Another guy left a few years ago, laziest bugger I have ever known, would tell constant lies to try and get out of work, would then hide behind his religion to pretend he didn't lie. When he left, I wouldn't have given him the steam off my piss, let alone tuppence for the collection.

The same when folk have bairns. When a couple of folk I genuinely like had kids, I gave them something directly. To me, give something to someone you genuinely like, deck the rest.

Aye, that's where I'm at too. Made plenty of good mates in the office I'm in, and I'd gladly chip in to see them off or help them out or whatever. But in a department of 300 people, whom 90% of which I probably haven't even explained pleasantries with, I really detest being forced to act like one big happy workplace and forced to make friends. Lot of shite.

3 minutes ago, superjack said:

that really annoys me as well. here is a lass at my work who applied for another role in the department (a minor promotion) and someone has organised a collection for her "new" job. i'm glad i'm rarely in the office just now.

on the other side one of the people i work(ed) with is retiring next week (well last month due to falling and breaking his hip). we travelled to work together for the last 5-6 years and has been in the department for close to 40 years. i have contributed to his collection and been cheeky in his leaving card

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

The whole bringing kids into the office to disturb the entire office just because they are piss bored sat at home with a spewing, shiting bundle of fat all day is my biggest seethe in the office, if you really want to see Karen's fat spawn then go visit her on your own time.

29 minutes ago, Locky said:

Aye, that's where I'm at too. Made plenty of good mates in the office I'm in, and I'd gladly chip in to see them off or help them out or whatever. But in a department of 300 people, whom 90% of which I probably haven't even explained pleasantries with, I really detest being forced to act like one big happy workplace and forced to make friends. Lot of shite.

My wife's work don't do collections for anything, everyone puts a tenner a month into a slush fund where birthday pressies, leaving pressies, having a baby pressies, going all day without having a shite pressies all come out of. She said why dont I suggest it for my work? Because I dont like most of the people at my work and the only way inwould give them money is of i seen them walking under Blackpool tower so i could throw a handful of chamge at them from the top of it.

Meant to add, when I was still in all Male working environments, it was so much easier. A mates birthday? Buy him a pint on Friday night. A mate leaving? Buy him a pint on friday night. Guy who's a bit of a wank leaving? Go to a different pub on Friday night.

Edited by superjack
51 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I'd imagine that covers 99.9% of unpaid charity work

There are also those strange folk (my late mother and eldest sister being amongst them) who have a compulsion to always be busy and to be doing things for others. The rest of the family somehow manage to supress these urges however!   :whistling: :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

For the vast majority of people who do charity work, the main motivation is being attractive to the opposite sex.

I got caught out that way. 25 years ago or so, I was in town and this stunningly beautiful girl stopped to talk to me...

10 mins later I was paying a tenner a month to the British Heart Foundation. 😂

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

The whole bringing kids into the office to disturb the entire office just because they are piss bored sat at home with a spewing, shiting bundle of fat all day is my biggest seethe in the office, if you really want to see Karen's fat spawn then go visit her on your own time.

New borns are the worse. Just why? Of course every bloody woman in the office has to see. Ooh he/she looks just like you. Feck off, they don't. 

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I got caught out that way. 25 years ago or so, I was in town and this stunningly beautiful girl stopped to talk to me...

10 mins later I was paying a tenner a month to the British Heart Foundation. 😂

😀  I can relate to that.  The usual "sorry, I'm in a hurry" excuse seemed to get suppressed by "OK, I'm interested... tell me more".     I got collared outside Sainsbury's 3 years ago by a lovely girl about 20 who sweet-talked me into signing up to help Quarriers Childrens homes for the next 3 years.   It seemed to be mainly males that were being targeted, oddly enough.     :whistling:

They're not daft, these charity organisers.🙄

Edited by Lone Striker
1 hour ago, superjack said:

Sometimes you feel pressured into doing the whole whip round thing . I gave £5 to a woman for her 50th last week but that’s it . In previous places I’ve worked ( TSB ) it was the worst and then question you when you decline to put money towards it . 

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

New borns are the worse. Just why? Of course every bloody woman in the office has to see. Ooh he/she looks just like you. Feck off, they don't. 

Girl in my work took redundancy just had a new born was only with the father under a year and got pregnant 😂 anyway she left and a order comes in for her collection down at the depot. She lives in fife only ordered from my work so she can come down to collect and break travel rules cause this all could of been bought locally it was just a hoax to get her neb back into work and show off her ugly wee kid . 

Women's football and women's sport in general is complete and utter laughably shite and I belive that deep down every single person knows this.

38 minutes ago, Marvin said:

They all look like either Blowfish (as previously highlighted) or Winston Churchill. Or an unappealing mixture of the two.

An exception to this was my niece's laddie when he was a baby: a photograph of him bore a startling resemblance to Van Morrison in one of his rare jovial moments.

Edited by Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Women's football and women's sport in general is complete and utter laughably shite and I belive that deep down every single person knows this.

Not all sports. Womans MMA is actually quite entertaining. The opponents are fairly matched. And although they ladies may not have strength to match a guys of similar weight, the speed they can move makes the fights quite entertaining. 

Surely you watch womans beach volletball though? 

The Natural Order

Tynecastle's not as great a stadium as most make out. Small capacity, small pitch, too many restricted view seats, roofs that do nothing to protect the first ten rows from the elements and badly maintained over the years. It's fine but nothing more than that.

7 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

Tynecastle's not as great a stadium as most make out. Small capacity, small pitch, too many restricted view seats, roofs that do nothing to protect the first ten rows from the elements and badly maintained over the years. It's fine but nothing more than that.

Out of interest, where? In the old stand you were always liable to find a column between you and one of the goalmouths, unless you chose your seat carefully, but wasn't aware of anything like this in the redeveloped stadium.

The Natural Order
1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Out of interest, where? In the old stand you were always liable to find a column between you and one of the goalmouths, unless you chose your seat carefully, but wasn't aware of anything like this in the redeveloped stadium.

Basically either side of the Main and Wheatfield Stands. In three of the corners the floodlight pylon/roof support blocks the view of the goal and in the fourth the Police/Control box is still in the way even though it's been reduced.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Not all sports. Womans MMA is actually quite entertaining. The opponents are fairly matched. And although they ladies may not have strength to match a guys of similar weight, the speed they can move makes the fights quite entertaining. 

Surely you watch womans beach volletball though?   :biggrin:

Just watched the last 25 minutes of the Scotland - Portugal women's game. It was quite entertaining with Scotland having the bulk of the play and pressure; they lost 0-2 however. Quite a lot of the build-up play was good, with some decent passing and individual skills and technique, but the final touch / shot / pass invariably let Scotland down. There were also some pretty laughable mistakes, some very one-footed players, and quite a few obvious passes not made. All in all, a bit like watching Hearts.   :ermm:

3 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

Basically either side of the Main and Wheatfield Stands. In three of the corners the floodlight pylon/roof support blocks the view of the goal and in the fourth the Police/Control box is still in the way even though it's been reduced.

:levein_interesting:

I've watched plenty games from Sections A & G of the Wheatfield and have never experienced any such problems.   

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Women’s tennis is good, and is different to the men’s game in terms of tactics and style, which helps. 

Women’s athletics is also good. Like the men, a close race is equally exciting. 

And obviously gymnastics is very much led by the ladies. 

But yeah, football. Appalling. 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Maybe a bit more funding would help it?

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

You've obviously never watched women's beach volleyball.  :wink:

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Maybe a bit more funding would help it?

But why? More funding would literally improve anything.

It would be a waste of cash though. Who do you think should fund it?

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

You've obviously never watched women's beach volleyball.  :wink:

Never watched the volleyball, I just watched the women. They could be hitting a haggis over a net to one another to all I care.

pharmaceutical01
8 hours ago, Marvin said:

As far as unpopular opinions go, all drugs should be decriminalised and made available to those who want them. Its the illegality and notoriety that makes them attractive to the young. Also have specific houses were users can go and use them in a safe environment where they have the information at hand to get themselves off them when the time is right.

Baggie that house is next to yours, Marvin rather than mine😄 

Jamie Walker Tash
8 hours ago, Locky said:

When i worked nightshift in tesco a number of years ago they loved a whip round for people leaving. A guy was leaving but I didn't like him so didn't put in. Anyway few months later he returns after quitting his new job 😂. Basically people gave him money for absolutely **** all.