Bill Gates say’s rich countries should only eat”Synthetic Beef”

Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin

Must say, the “Lab Grown” Rib-eye steak I saw a picture of, didn’t look to appealing..😳😳

C6C0939A-0EE2-4E08-A1B0-75D1AE65554A.jpeg

What Bill Gates really means is;

All the regular class folk from supposedly rich countries should eat synthetic meat while rich ****ers like him can pat themselves on the back while dinning on the best of real meat money can buy..

Rupert Pupkin
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If it stops folk putting an apostrophe in a perfectly good English word like "says", then I'm all for it. ;)

We all make misteaks..😳😂...

1 minute ago, Peebo said:

So synthetic meat is riddled with tracking devices too, yeah? 

all pArt oFf the graTe resEt m8 

Luke it Up.

gaits aNd sorrOS r rong un's.

26 minutes ago, Peebo said:

So synthetic meat is riddled with tracking devices too, yeah? 

Weaponised 5G Beef.

To be fair, as long as it tasted like the real deal, wasn't just full of an utter load of filler shite, and you could have a nice rare synthetic steak, I'm not sure I'd care too much.

21 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

all pArt oFf the graTe resEt m8 

Luke it Up.

gaits aNd sorrOS r rong un's.

ppwx9d3l8qu41.jpg

Governor Tarkin

Has anyone ever tried it? The lab grown stuff and not the Tesco meat-free quarter pounder stuff?

If it was a good as the real deal I wouldn't give a **** tbh.

It'll maybe be the norm in the future once it's perfected and we'll look like utter barbarians for our cow habit. 

Same with anything, you look back 10, 20 or 100 years and you think what the hell were they doing? No reason to think we'll be any different.

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Has anyone ever tried it? The lab grown stuff and not the Tesco meat-free quarter pounder stuff?

If it was a good as the real deal I wouldn't give a **** tbh.

:spoton:

It does actually make very good sense from a resource point of view to move to synthetic meat. Changing folk's habits is always challenging, but where there's a will there's a way.

5 minutes ago, Smack said:

It'll maybe be the norm in the future once it's perfected and we'll look like utter barbarians for our cow habit. 

Same with anything, you look back 10, 20 or 100 years and you think what the hell were they doing? No reason to think we'll be any different.

Another

I think Bill should stick to inserting tracking devices into vaccines.

The general in South Park obviously knew about his synthetic beef plans...

XrTk.gif

Bills got a point. In the EU for example, livestock produces roughly as much Co2 and other GhG emissions as all vehicles in the EU. 

We should eat less beef but the main areas that need addressed is how we live, how we travel, production and manufacturing. 

If we all lived in highly insulated Nzeb or Passive buildings, we wouldn't consume any energy from fossil fuels. Our energy bills would almost vanish and we'd kill two birds with one stone ; domestic energy consumption and fuel poverty. 

And if we all drove Electric vehicles, we wouldn't use Diesel or Petroleum. 

These are the technologies that Governments and billionaires should be chucking their cash into the fight against climate change. Developing Countries should be adopting these technologies before moving to fossil fuels. 

If we do that then we could all eat steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It wouldn't matter a feck. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Bills got a point. In the EU for example, livestock produces roughly as much Co2 and other GhG emissions as all vehicles in the EU. 

We should eat less beef but the main areas that need addressed is how we live, how we travel, production and manufacturing. 

If we all lived in highly insulated Nzeb or Passive buildings, we wouldn't consume any energy from fossil fuels. Our energy bills would almost vanish and we'd kill two birds with one stone ; domestic energy consumption and fuel poverty. 

And if we all drove Electric vehicles, we wouldn't use Diesel or Petroleum. 

These are the technologies that Governments and billionaires should be chucking their cash into the fight against climate change. Developing Countries should be adopting these technologies before moving to fossil fuels. 

If we do that then we could all eat steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It wouldn't matter a feck. 

On your latter point about petrol and electric vehicles:

Have Electric cars solved a number of design problems that are off-putting to the likes of me?

• Lack of charge points.
  • Slow charging.
  • Home charging - how?  Can you take the batteries inside your 3rd floor flat and charge?
  • Is the battery life comparable for long distance travel?

To me Electric cars don't seem quite ready to replace petrol.

Edited by frankblack

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

It does actually make very good sense from a resource point of view to move to synthetic meat. Changing folk's habits is always challenging, but where there's a will there's a way.

I will continue eating the real thing, because I can.

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Have Electric cars solved a number of design problems that are off-putting to the likes of me?

• Lack of charge points.
  • Slow charging.
  • Home charging - how?  Can you take the batteries inside your 3rd floor flat and charge?

It is early days but by 2030 the majority of cars in the EU and probably the UK will be nearly zero emissions and will have moved away from petrol & diesel. 

I wouldn’t buy an electric car for the points you've highlighted because you're right, there's a number of areas that need to improve or be overcome for them to become a better option and more user friendly. 

But if you're looking to buy a new car, get a hybrid. You won't pay road tax and you'd save on fuel. 

34 minutes ago, frankblack said:

• Lack of charge points.
  • Slow charging.

Do they need to be ready to replace petrol cars or do we need to recognise petrol cars aren't viable and we need to make our lives work around what is viable instead? Cars are only a small part of the issue, a bigger issue is the way we live and travel around, I'm not sure a sustainable life requires the range and refuel speed an ICE car provides. 

The charging points remain an issue but it's getting better pretty much every day in terms of numbers.

I'm not sure where I sit on it as to whether they are one of the solutions or not, given we still need to produce the electricity etc but I think doing nothing is less of an option.

Synthetic beef though can do one 😂

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Do they need to be ready to replace petrol cars or do we need to recognise petrol cars aren't viable and we need to make our lives work around what is viable instead? Cars are only a small part of the issue, a bigger issue is the way we live and travel around, I'm not sure a sustainable life requires the range and refuel speed an ICE car provides. 

The charging points remain an issue but it's getting better pretty much every day in terms of numbers.

I'm not sure where I sit on it as to whether they are one of the solutions or not, given we still need to produce the electricity etc but I think doing nothing is less of an option.

Synthetic beef though can do one 😂

On your last point I can see where it might be benefiicial in countries that can't sustain their populations.

However, why synthetic beef instead of something like Quorn?  I don't really get the synthetic beef selling point when alternatives exist.

Of course, this has nothing to do with carbon emissions etc.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

On your last point I can see where it might be benefiicial in countries that can't sustain their populations.

That's a great point, totally agree. I'm being a bit flippant when I say 'do one' for it as it certainly has its uses but it'll be one of the last switches I personally make.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

However, why synthetic beef instead of something like Quorn?  I don't really get the synthetic beef selling point when alternatives exist.

I guess they believe the synthetic stuff can replicate real beef to a much closer degree which will help people get on board with it. If someone served me a synthetic beef burger without me knowing and I didn't notice, I guess I'd be happy enough. I'm certain I'd be able to call out a Quorn burger though. 

We should just eat less meat and enjoy it when we do, rather than replacing it with stuff grown in a lab in my opinion.

Beef production is extremely wasteful in terms of arable land taken up by the animals themselves, even more arable land used to grow fodder crops to feed them, the amount of water required, the wastage of meat in the industry itself (young bulls are simply killed as there is no market for veal)....not to mention the amount of prime forest being felled to make new ranches.

Then we get into the problems of larger breeds being used as they supply more yield of the prime cuts than smaller animals that actually produce more calories with less feed and water and space needed. This is to do with consumers only demanding a few choice cuts with the rest of the animal wasted or sold mega cheap for industrial foodstuff use.

Roughly 1/3 of the arable land on earth is taken up with housing animals, another 1/3 is used to grow animal feed and only 1/3 is used to produce crops for human consumption.

That's unsustainable.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

• Lack of charge points.
  • Slow charging.

Would the battery lose power faster in cold weather like most if not all rechargeable batteries do.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It is early days but by 2030 the majority of cars in the EU and probably the UK will be nearly zero emissions and will have moved away from petrol & diesel. 

I wouldn’t buy an electric car for the points you've highlighted because you're right, there's a number of areas that need to improve or be overcome for them to become a better option and more user friendly. 

But if you're looking to buy a new car, get a hybrid. You won't pay road tax and you'd save on fuel. 

Doesn't that only really work if you live in a city where you are constantly stopping & starting and using the electic/battery to power the engine up to 15mph, in rural settings where there are rarely ever any hold-ups due to traffic or traffic lights you are using the petrol/diesel engine 99%+ of the time, so you ain't saving much if anything by having a hybrid.

I looked at getting a hybrid but the more I learnt and the more I talked to garages, it appeared that a hybrid was of limited use in a rural setting.

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Doesn't that only really work if you live in a city where you are constantly stopping & starting and using the electic/battery to power the engine up to 15mph, in rural settings where there are rarely ever any hold-ups due to traffic or traffic lights you are using the petrol/diesel engine 99%+ of the time, so you ain't saving much if anything by having a hybrid.

I looked at getting a hybrid but the more I learnt and the more I talked to garages, it appeared that a hybrid was of limited use in a rural setting.

There's different types of Hybrids. You can get a plug in hybrid, fuel cell hybrid or what you are talking about, electric/hybrid.

But you don't pay any Road Tax on Hybrids, so that's a saving right off the bat. You're still saving fuel regardless of how it is used. 

I’m pretty open minded to all of this new fangled things. I’ll happily switch to man made stuff if it’s at least comparable. 

As it stands, though, there’s only a few plant/mushroom based replacements that I find tolerable. 

Eg:

Greggs

Vegan sausage roll was bearable. The steak bake was disgusting though. 

Quorn chicken nuggets are ok. 

Linda McCartney veg sausages are alright. And they probably have the same meat content as a Wetherspoons sausage. 

Not tried any of the beyond meat stuffs yet. 

brunstanejambo
18 hours ago, Cade said:

Beef production is extremely wasteful in terms of arable land taken up by the animals themselves, even more arable land used to grow fodder crops to feed them, the amount of water required, the wastage of meat in the industry itself (young bulls are simply killed as there is no market for veal)....not to mention the amount of prime forest being felled to make new ranches.

Then we get into the problems of larger breeds being used as they supply more yield of the prime cuts than smaller animals that actually produce more calories with less feed and water and space needed. This is to do with consumers only demanding a few choice cuts with the rest of the animal wasted or sold mega cheap for industrial foodstuff use.

Roughly 1/3 of the arable land on earth is taken up with housing animals, another 1/3 is used to grow animal feed and only 1/3 is used to produce crops for human consumption.

That's unsustainable.

I didn't realise how wasteful, outdated and controlled by corporations farming was until watching "Kiss the Ground" a few months ago - great documentary on Netflix about regenerative farming which is narrated by Woody Harleston. 

I'm sure it mentioned similar figures to yours above - the majority of arable land is essentially ruined by the way that it is used to rear cows and grow crops to feed said cows. All driven by corporations desire for profit, and government subsidies to support that farming model. 

Also, in no small way influenced by the low fat high carb nutrition model that it claims is based on flawed research and recommendations made by a US scientist back in the 50's. Research which was sponsored by corporations invested in rearing cattle and growing crops... 

There's a few great examples of how regenerative farming has brought land 'back to life' whilst at the same time allowing farmers to grow crops and raise animals in a more sustainable (and profitable) way. 

19 hours ago, frankblack said:

I think the point of synthetic beef, compared to quorn, is that the synthetic beef is still beef. 

I honestly don't think that Bill Gates had in mind Scottish farming when he spoke about this.

If you would like to understand the competitive pressure our farming industry is under from globally traded commodities then google "concentrated animal feeding operation" or "livestock carrier".

If you think that none of this arrives in the UK just remember back a few years when Tesco was putting horses heads in the lasagna.

Scottish farming is a cottage industry when compared around the world.Needs to modernise and thoroughly deserves our support.

10 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

If Bill Gates thinks I should eat synthetic beef, that only strengthens my resolve never to eat synthetic beef.

Thats where i am.

1 hour ago, brunstanejambo said:

I didn't realise how wasteful, outdated and controlled by corporations farming was until watching "Kiss the Ground" a few months ago - great documentary on Netflix about regenerative farming which is narrated by Woody Harleston. 

I'm sure it mentioned similar figures to yours above - the majority of arable land is essentially ruined by the way that it is used to rear cows and grow crops to feed said cows. All driven by corporations desire for profit, and government subsidies to support that farming model. 

Also, in no small way influenced by the low fat high carb nutrition model that it claims is based on flawed research and recommendations made by a US scientist back in the 50's. Research which was sponsored by corporations invested in rearing cattle and growing crops... 

There's a few great examples of how regenerative farming has brought land 'back to life' whilst at the same time allowing farmers to grow crops and raise animals in a more sustainable (and profitable) way. 

Regards the bit in bold, am I picking you up wrongly or are you suggesting a meat focused farming model is influenced by a desire for a low fat, high carb diet?

Wouldn't a substantially beef orientated diet be predominantly low carb and if anything, high fat? (And obviously high protein).

Edited by Taffin

58 minutes ago, Norm said:

I think the point of synthetic beef, compared to quorn, is that the synthetic beef is still beef. 

Is it really though with all the god knows what chemicals and stuff to grow it?

21 minutes ago, jb102 said:

I honestly don't think that Bill Gates had in mind Scottish farming when he spoke about this.

If you would like to understand the competitive pressure our farming industry is under from globally traded commodities then google "concentrated animal feeding operation" or "livestock carrier".

If you think that none of this arrives in the UK just remember back a few years when Tesco was putting horses heads in the lasagna.

Scottish farming is a cottage industry when compared around the world.Needs to modernise and thoroughly deserves our support.

Scotland does OK. The population is about 8.4% of the UK and contributes about 16% of food with 70%of fish landed. Could do better, yes. 

Mrs McL got her first vaccination last week but the Gates’ chip hasn’t made an immediately obvious improvement in her attitude towards me. Might try seeing if cutting down her red meat consumption helps the chip kick in. 

brunstanejambo
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Regards the bit in bold, am I picking you up wrongly or are you suggesting a meat focused farming model is influenced by a desire for a low fat, high carb diet?

Wouldn't a substantially beef orientated diet be predominantly low carb and if anything, high fat? (And obviously high protein).

Apologies - I didn't summarise the documentary as well as I could have as that's not what it said or what I was meaning.

I should watch it again to refresh my memory, but I recall that the gist of it was that the land is being ruined by the demand for wheat and corn based crops - which is driven by:

a) The advice to follow a low-fat / high-carb diet - based on flawed/imperfect/skewed research sponsored by food corporations in the 50's.

b) The need to grow corn to produce feed for corporate farmed animals - which could otherwise graze grass on the land used to grow the corn.

a) and b) are not directly related, but both result in land being ruined.

You are of course correct that a beef orientated diet would be low-carb, high-fat & high-protein.

The 2 examples that I remember from the documentary show the regeneration of land in USA and China when farmers stopped cultivating the land to grow the same crops year after year. The USA example was quite striking and showed amazing results in a 3-5 year period I think. The China one was equally as striking but took a few decades to achieve I think.

5 minutes ago, brunstanejambo said:

Apologies - I didn't summarise the documentary as well as I could have as that's not what it said or what I was meaning.

I should watch it again to refresh my memory, but I recall that the gist of it was that the land is being ruined by the demand for wheat and corn based crops - which is driven by:

a) The advice to follow a low-fat / high-carb diet - based on flawed/imperfect/skewed research sponsored by food corporations in the 50's.

b) The need to grow corn to produce feed for corporate farmed animals - which could otherwise graze grass on the land used to grow the corn.

a) and b) are not directly related, but both result in land being ruined.

You are of course correct that a beef orientated diet would be low-carb, high-fat & high-protein.

The 2 examples that I remember from the documentary show the regeneration of land in USA and China when farmers stopped cultivating the land to grow the same crops year after year. The USA example was quite striking and showed amazing results in a 3-5 year period I think. The China one was equally as striking but took a few decades to achieve I think.

Thanks for clarifying, appreciate that and the additional info. 

Sounds really interesting, I think I'll give the documentary a watch if it's still available. If nothing else you can't go wrong with some narration from Woody 👍👍

I was really ignorant of food and how it gets to our plates. Not in terms of thinking animals didn't die or suffer but the additional impact of sustaining those levels. 

Governor Tarkin
37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is it really though with all the god knows what chemicals and stuff to grow it?

Not any different to all that American beef that'll be heading our way shortly.

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Not any different to all that American beef that'll be heading our way shortly.

Is that the stuff that will give you an extra nipple?

Governor Tarkin
Just now, frankblack said:

Is that the stuff that will give you an extra nipple?

:interehjrling:

I wonder if that works the same for females...

brunstanejambo
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Thanks for clarifying, appreciate that and the additional info. 

Sounds really interesting, I think I'll give the documentary a watch if it's still available. If nothing else you can't go wrong with some narration from Woody 👍👍

I was really ignorant of food and how it gets to our plates. Not in terms of thinking animals didn't die or suffer but the additional impact of sustaining those levels. 

You're welcome.

It was a really interesting watch, and the narration alone is worth it!

It's not usually the sort of thing that I watch but the Mrs & I are going through a kind of health/fitness epiphany now that we are turning 50 - so have been watching a few things like this during lockdown.

Some of the programmes we’ve tuned into have just been bat-shit crazy tin-hat conspiracy-theory idiots trying to sell their magical diet/fitness plans/pills, but this one was actually quite well presented and believable.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Mrs McL got her first vaccination last week but the Gates’ chip hasn’t made an immediately obvious improvement in her attitude towards me. Might try seeing if cutting down her red meat consumption helps the chip kick in. 

you need to ctrl+alt+del her to activate the chip

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think it has gone past the point of no return, Dave. :wink:

8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think it has gone past the point of no return, Dave. :wink:

has dave posted since that post? maybe mrs dave has went all stepford wives on him