Performers who have changed your mind

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Was watching some music online last couple of nights and whilst I still have my old favourites, there are some performers who I wouldn't have given time of day to a few years back whereas now, I can happily listen to them for hours. 

For groups, ACDC have really grown on me and their live music is better than their studio stuff. 

I couldn't be bothered with Amy Winehouse but now I love her voice and her performances were tremendous. 

Miley Cyrus has developed into a great singing talent and her blues/Country material is getting better and better. 

For male vocals, come to really appreciate Marylin Manson while Johnny Cash is another who hooks you in. 

Sure there are others but everyone will have their own views. 

Iron Maiden were one of my favourite bands of the 80s and early 90s before losing their way.

Had a real return to form when Bruce re-joined and Brave New World marked a superb return to form.

But then since Final Frontier they've gone back to being dross.

Muse used to be amazing but now they're a parody of themselves and total pish.

I’m not sure if I’ve outright changed my mind but I’ve certainly been guilty a lot of dismissing people without actually listening to them properly. When I was younger I was very fond of the old cliché that Bob Dylan songs are only good if other people record them. Then I actually listened properly, he will never be the best singer in the world but his voice suits them. 

A more recent one is Fiona Apple. I remember seeing press about her back in the day, another pretty blonde girl the press gave the curse of comparing to Joni Mitchell, and with a cutesy name to make it worse. I heard some of her stuff by accident a couple of years ago and was blown away. 20 years of being a snob without actually listening to the music I was ignoring based on preconceptions. 

Was at a festival a couple of years ago and seen Portugal the Man and despite a very pop sound on the radio they are much heavier/stronger musically live (opened with a medley of for whom the bells tolls/another brick in the wall), we'd only gone to see them to get a good spot for Rag n bone man who was next up in the tent and thoroughly glad we did

I wasn't a fan of Pink Floyd until I seen them at live 8. Brilliant they were that night, and so were The Who. 

Never into Oasis, but I have mellowed and don't mind them at all, now. 

Duran Duran seem a good bunch of lads too. I always thought they were pricks until I watched there film on Netflix. Very talented. 

I really love the beatles now as well, and god I hated them when I was in my teens. The who and The Jam were my heroes then. Now, I can't stand Paul Weller, he's a prick. 

Edited by ri Alban

N Lincs Jambo
33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Love me some French rap, works incredibly well with the french language flow, my french is murder as well but nevertheless big fan. 

A bit like the OP I have developed a grudging appreciation for AC/DC it’s not my type of sound but I can get it and quite enjoy. 

Artist I quite recently got into was Gil Scott-Heron. Walked in for some lunch and they had him playing, slated the music initially to the wife, by end of lunch I have shazamed and downloaded his Essentials. Again not really my thing but weirdly enjoy. 

Gil Scott Heron is pretty amazing. His tracks Home is where the hatred is and The Bottle are pretty hard hitting. Going to listen to more of his stuff 👍

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

The Killers, Metallica, Green Day, The Pixies, Blink 182 and French rap (in general) all impressed me despite my initial misgivings about seeing them live.

I know someone who gave up on Bob Dylan after seeing one of his live shows in Spain. I don't think they knew of his typical rambling performances.

Bob Dylan in spain was the first gif I went to. I thought he was complete and utter dross (was 17 and didn't know much about him). Love his stuff now but wouldn't rush to see him again live I don't think.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Bob Dylan in spain was the first gif I went to. I thought he was complete and utter dross (was 17 and didn't know much about him). Love his stuff now but wouldn't rush to see him again live I don't think.

I recall mates and I watching him live on TV around 1985, waiting and willing, as 17 year olds, to be impressed. Might have been "...Whistle Test".

We laughed. He was awful. Ended up feeling so embarrassed for him, mumbling words incoherently  and out of key, that we had to switch off.

I realise writing was his forte, rather than singing, but all the same.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think you have to be a real devoted fan to appreciate some of his live shows these days. Tends to change things up a lot and plays old tunes in new styles. Those going for a greatest hits setlist are going to leave disappointed.

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

I recall mates and I watching him live on TV around 1985, waiting and willing, as 17 year olds, to be impressed. Might have been "...Whistle Test".

We laughed. He was awful. Ended up feeling so embarrassed for him, mumbling words incoherently  and out of key, that we had to switch off.

Unfortunately the style he went for when I saw him was the same as martoon experienced. So we either both got extremely unlucky c.20 years apart or out of key pub drunkard is one of his more favoured ones 😂

His keyboard appeared mainly to function in keeping him upright rather than as an instrument.

In my early-to-mid teens, I used to love Status Quo and hate Roy Orbison. I'm delighted to say that this position has been reversed for many, many years.

Samuel Camazzola

My tastes are vast therefore this isn't so much artist's changing my mind, more growing an appreciation for their work. When going for a run, I like to put the music on to get a tempo going and have enjoyed heavy stuff by Rammstein, Volbeat and Gojira. Just don't listen to it when driving as you'll be doing 90 without realising it. 

Alter Bridge have some heavy stuff but mix it up a bit. Myles Kennedy has one of the most distinctive and melodic voices from the rock genre. 

luckyBatistuta

Rolling Stones, wasn’t interested in listening to them at all. Once I gave them a chance, I realised what I’ve been missing all these years. Similar with the Foo Fighters.

Neil Young  , never knew how good he was until i started digging into his back catalogue and I was blown away with some of it , I’m still not keen on his country stuff but man he can write some great acoustic and rock stuff.

19 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

Always loved blues and rock guitar .... Never really fancied bluegrass, country ... Till I heard Billy Strings

Billy Strings is kind of the bluegrass guy rock fans can like because anyone can see playing bluegrass that fast with a pick is stunning. And he does big freestyle jams when he plays live. Hell of a guitarist though. 

31 minutes ago, One five said:

Neil Young  , never knew how good he was until i started digging into his back catalogue and I was blown away with some of it , I’m still not keen on his country stuff but man he can write some great acoustic and rock stuff.

Yep, I'm the same with ol' Shakey, except I really like his country stuff too!

When I first heard At the Drive-in, I thought it was a racket. A few months later I sat down and listened to them properly. Relationship of Command is a great album. 

38 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve got a specific type of artist that I can quite happily listen to a greatest hits and enjoy but never want to dive any deeper. Neil Young is one of them. Not sure why but I’ve never totally got it. Part of it might be that time in the mid 90’s when he was called the godfather of grunge and all of a sudden every Nirvana and Pearl Jam fan I knew, that had never mentioned him in their lives, were suddenly telling everyone how he was a genius and one of their favourites. I’m awkward that way. 

1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

Toyah Willcox.......

:kirk:

:biggrin:

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve got a specific type of artist that I can quite happily listen to a greatest hits and enjoy but never want to dive any deeper. Neil Young is one of them. Not sure why but I’ve never totally got it. Part of it might be that time in the mid 90’s when he was called the godfather of grunge and all of a sudden every Nirvana and Pearl Jam fan I knew, that had never mentioned him in their lives, were suddenly telling everyone how he was a genius and one of their favourites. I’m awkward that way. 

Have a listen to his live album ‘rust never sleeps ‘ rock on one side and acoustic on the other that’s what changed my thinking of him.

2 minutes ago, One five said:

Have a listen to his live album ‘rust never sleeps ‘ rock on one side and acoustic on the other that’s what changed my thinking of him.

I’ve been literally forced to listen to so many of his albums over the years by Young zealots who refuse to believe my position on him. If it gets too annoying I’ll claim that the album I do enjoy is Trans. It seems to upset them...

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’ve been literally forced to listen to so many of his albums over the years by Young zealots who refuse to believe my position on him. If it gets too annoying I’ll claim that the album I do enjoy is Trans. It seems to upset them...

Ha no bother mate 👍

Weakened Offender

My wife dragged to see Paddy Mcguiness during the Fringe one year. We both picked a comedian. I picked Sean Lock who my missus wasn't all that keen on. My other half came out the SL gig loving him.

I went into the PM gig not really liking him at all and came out utterly despising the prick. 

The following year I picked both. 

39 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Weren't they a bit tight ? 

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Performers who have changed my mind are probably mostly poppy and who I would never give a chance to first time round.

Black Eyed Peas put on a fantastic performance. I now enjoy some music from Taylor Swift, Rihanna, and Sia - people I would have scoffed at years ago.

9 hours ago, martoon said:

A voice like sand and glue, according to a certain English icon, who I hated when I was young but grew to really like. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A voice like sand and glue, according to a certain English icon, who I hated when I was young but grew to really like. 

Always liked Bowie but never loved him. 

jambos are go!

Lucky enough to have seen Dylan live in Edinburgh during the Judas tour. His love performances now are an utter embarassment. He should be ashamed as should the artist who kiss his feet to perform with him.

Pink Floyd. Never got it. But as my music tastes have matured, I've really honed in on them. Still some dross in there though :lol:

In terms of a live act, I'd always enjoyed the Killers but their performance at Glastonbury a couple of years ago was absolutely superb.

One act I think would change some peoples opinion after seeing them live is Coldplay. Granted, their recent stuff is pretty pish but live they are a different animal and put on a hell of a show.

Malinga the Swinga
48 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Lucky enough to have seen Dylan live in Edinburgh during the Judas tour. His love performances now are an utter embarassment. He should be ashamed as should the artist who kiss his feet to perform with him.

Doesn't everyone's Love performance decline as they get older

Miley Cyrus. Always considered her as Hannah Montana bubblegum pop. Grown into a "A List" rock'n'roll and country singer. Covers are some of the best I've heard in years. Who'd have thunk?

1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

I seen Dylan in London Hyde  park in 2019  thought he was crap if I remember correctly don’t think he played the guitar, mind you I was pished by the time he came on lol.

Hadn't really thought much of a pop punk band called MxPx, but listened to some of their newer stuff during lockdown and really come to like them.

38 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

Miley Cyrus. Always considered her as Hannah Montana bubblegum pop. Grown into a "A List" rock'n'roll and country singer. Covers are some of the best I've heard in years. Who'd have thunk?

I saw a video a couple of weeks ago of her covering Fade Into You by Mazzy Star, it was one of the worst things I've ever suffered in terms of covers, she didn't seem to understand the song at all and wailed her way through the choruses. 

I used to be in the "Beatles are over rated pish" category until last year.

I watched the film yesterday and my opinion has now changed, I now think they're great. Dont think I'll ever bother going to see them live though.

scott herbertson
17 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Gil Scott Heron is pretty amazing. His tracks Home is where the hatred is and The Bottle are pretty hard hitting. Going to listen to more of his stuff 👍

Saw him live at Ronnie Scott's in the 1980s - was taken by a friend and knew nothing about him

Very impressed

Was amazed to find out recently that  his dad had played for Celtic in the 1950s - not something you would ever have guessed when watching Gil Scott Heron live in the 80s!

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Saw him live at Ronnie Scott's in the 1980s - was taken by a friend and knew nothing about him

Very impressed

Was amazed to find out recently that  his dad had played for Celtic in the 1950s - not something you would ever have guessed when watching Gil Scott Heron live in the 80s!

I was lucky enough to see him a couple of times in the 80's, both times excellent gigs. There was also the great irony that he did songs railing against alcoholism and drugs only to get prosecuted in later life because of a massive coke and crack habit and did some proper jail time.

A Boy Named Crow

Ed Sheeran. In 2012 saw him at a festival in Spain, he was just some ginger bloke who talked too much between songs. Instantly forgettable. 

2018, the missus bought us tickets to see him at the ANZ in Sydney. He managed to put on a performance big enough for an 80,000 seater stadium, using a guitar and a loop box. Completely changed my opinion of him. 

N Lincs Jambo
23 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Very impressed

I knew about his dad, Gil Heron,  playing for Celtic. I didn’t mention it as I didn’t want to detract from his son’s music. The Scott in his name is a nod to his time in Scotland although I believe he only made a handful of appearances for them.

Malinga the Swinga

Ed Balls. Thought he was a complete wank as a politician. Now, having seen him on Strictly and Best Home Cook, I realise I had over estimated him. He is a smarmy ***** of the highest order who you would never stop kicking. 

I truly detest him. 

Years back I won tickets to see Supergrass at the Corn Exchange on their Life on other Planets tour.  I had only really heard some of their poppy songs like Alright and didn't have very high expectations.

They really surprised me and I saw them a number of times after that.  A band that can really rock out when they want to, and I still think Alright is their worst song.

Prince.  Wasn't that keen on the stuff I heard and then saw him playing the guitar live on TV.   

Never realised how good he was. 

Also like the story Stuart cosgrove told when he asked him what all that purple carry on was about.   

Basically loves his local team.