Most Obscure Football Match you have Attended

CostaJambo

SectionDJambo

Wick Academy v Rothes the week before the 2012 cup final. I was up near Thurso for the weekend so I went along.

A really unusual ground. One end has a big, steep grass banking behind the goal. It levels out at the top and punters were able to bring in their cars and watch from up there. Handy if it's cold and wet. I would imagine it's the most northerly senior football ground in Scotland.

A pub just over the road for pre and post match drinks. I quite enjoyed it.

Davie Kirkwood was the Wick manager at the time.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• Riccarton3

• Samuel Camazzola

• Weakened Offender

On 11/02/2021 at 17:22, cheetah said:

Soul v Sydney in the Asian champions league, about 20 Sydney fans there and about 10k Soul fans in a huge 60k stadium.

Whitley bay v Metalist Kharkiv, friendly match pre them playing the barcodes inEurope.

Lechia Gdansk v Arka Gdynia, mental crowd and forest fighting galore, tram tipped over post match

Germany under 18's v Albania under 18's in Tallinn

Whitley Bay reminds me of the pre season game we had against them, around 82?. Their guy running down the wing and one of our fans runs out and tackles him. 

Footballfirst

FK Zalgiris v FK Silute when I paid a visit to Lithuania in 2007.

I remember that Zalgiris had a few ultras at the game and that the beer was cheap.

The Silute manager looked a bit familiar from those days :vrface:P9300253.thumb.JPG.ffd846fda4fa0a36810158931883a33c.JPG

P9300257.thumb.JPG.ad874a46e08c030a5c84789287db3d0c.JPG

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I remember that Zalgiris had a few ultras at the game and that the beer was cheap.

The Silute manager looked a bit familiar from those days :vrface:P9300253.thumb.JPG.ffd846fda4fa0a36810158931883a33c.JPG

Ooft. I think mad Eddie must have been John McGlynn's fashion inspiration. 

10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Ooft. I think mad Eddie must have been John McGlynn's fashion inspiration. 

Beat me to it. :lol:

That's quite the choice. Top half says board meeting, bottom half means business in the dugout. Put them together, and he looks like he was off to drive his taxi after the match.

jambo in iraq
On 13/02/2021 at 17:18, Samuel Camazzola said:

This was the game the US tried to play an offside trap in the opposition half. Got caught out and Iran scored a clincher. 😄

Lol yeh I recall having to try to explain the offside rule to some slob in a baseball cap from Colorado who was sitting next to me! 

Blackpool 2 Walsall 1.

September weekend 1978/79. It was either Division 3 or 4. I was only 10. Went with my dad, uncle and cousin.

The_razors_edge

A bit like @Cade earlier in the thread I used to live in Kent (Ashford to be precise) in 96-97 so would go along and watch Ashford Town games. They played in a horrible green colour. Standard wasn’t great but saw some decent games.

other obscure games include:

Wrexham v Cambridge around 1993/1994 Whilst down at a Center Parcs in the area with my old man.

Chesterfield v Crewe around 96 the year before Chesterfield went on their FA cup run to the semis again as a result of a trip to center parcs with the old man. Kevin Davies played for Chesterfield and Robbie Savage was playing for Crewe. Davies was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park that day. You could see then he would go on to have a good career.

A friend of mine used to live in Bulgaria and myself and the Mrs would go and stay with her every summer for a couple of weeks so I took the opportunity to watch some top flight Bulgarian football...

Beroe Stara Zagora v Lokomotiv Plovdiv. Awful game in sweltering heat finishing 0-0. Only bonus was it cost me around £3 to attend. The home fans were at odd with the club owner and did some sort of demonstration. The owner then came out and started having a go at them over a loudspeaker 😄

FC Sliven v Belasitsa Petrich. Another awful game. Finished 2-0 to Belasitsa who were subsequently relegated at the end of the season. Lucky if there was 100 folk there.

Bulgaria v Wales friendly. Played in Burgas on the east coast. Finished 1-0 to Wales, Freddie Eastwood scoring the only goal. Would have been around 2007 or 2008.

Cowdenbeath v Stenny some time in 2000. CL was manager of Cowdenbeath at the time. Old man just wanted to watch a game of football and that was the only game on within driving distance. 

Brondby v shaktar donetsk and

Brondby v fc young boys

Both closed doors games and me and my mate were the only two "fans" present.  Brondby did their half time team talk at the side of the pitch. Got to hear the whole thing from manager Michael Laudrup. Unfortunately it was in Danish. 🤦‍♂️

(Did chat with Morten Wieghorst for most of the second half, really sound guy).

Can’t remember who they played (possibly Wollongong Wolves??), but went to a Parramatta Power games about twenty years ago. Joe Miller was playing for them and my mate is a sports journalist so we ended up in the press box, press conference post-game then he interviewed him in the players lounge afterwards. He basically blag our way in to all of that, but I think an article did actually end up in the Scotsman. 

Been to a few games in South America. None really obscure, but seeing Ronaldinho getting booed at every touch in a World Cup qualifier during a dire 0-0 draw with Bolivia was pretty bizarre.

Kumanovo V Vardar in the Macedonian League back in 2001.  I was on a tour of duty in Macedonia and the interpreter or who worked for me took me to see his home team play

It was dire, but the weather was nice