****Official Queen of the South vs Heart of Midlothian match thread****

William H. Bonney

3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

On fultpelt stalking duty this morning Cruickie ?    Odd creature. 

Somebody has to do it.....😉

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Robbo-Jambo

• GinRummy

7 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

It's time for RN to ring the changes in midfield to allow Boyce to get some service and play in the right area as a lone  striker or as a two up front. The difference in Boyce's positioning when McEneff has come on in the last two games is like night and day. McEneff takes the position Boyce drops into but the difference is he is facing the goal looking for the options and movement where Boyce has his back to ball. It's time for Haring to get a run of games also allowing us to get on the front foot and providing defensive insurance. The last 20mins last night was the furthest forward we'd played all night against the same block of 4&5 that we struggled to breakdown for 70mins.

Well said ex sas, I commented last week after the Ayr performance being crap, no style, tactics etc and got shot down. Good to see more have woken up or are more confident about posting regards to what's being served up.

Top of the league is a given but the product and performance has to be/should be better, much better.

11 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Think you overestimate how good the top flight is mate.

The Premier league is full of teams who give 100%, fight for every 50-50, defend in depth and try to catch you on the break.....just the type of teams we struggle against!

22 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I don't think you alone with these thoughts.

Whilst the club may have a new Director of Football I am sure Ann Budge has her own DoF in Levein.

Jeez what a feckin thought! 🙈

28 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

I get what your saying, if you look at our performance against premier teams this season, we've stood up well against their challenges.

Its the lower league syndrome that we are suffering from, every game is their cup final against us, and we have to play their game to get anything!!! 

We stood well against Celtic and Hibs who both play an open game. It’s the likes of Hamilton, Ross Co, St Johnstone who get in your face, put in the tackles, win 50-50’s and defend in depth that we can’t break down!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 hours ago, ramrod said:

Defo re supporting our manager but we have the FOH ready to step in re your first point and if we were in the SPL this year we would be cast adrift at the bottom without a doubt .

We need  regime change asqp imho.

No disrespect but in the middle of world crisis, this is a regime beyond your wildest dreams. 

Solvent and investment. 

I'm comfortable that this team will improve and be competitive. 

The matchday hysterical outcry really doesn't look at a big picture and is self indulgent nonsense from those with an irrational hatred of Neilson. Neilson though far from perfect nor any sort of football genius got the job done first time, he is getting the job done again and extremely unfortunate not to have a Scottish Cup in the boardroom. 

26 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Think you overestimate how good the top flight is mate.

I don't think we're any better than we were this time last year. Just the opposition is worse...If there is any difference, it is Gordon.

Edited by Spellczech

When faced with a packed defence as we are every week, we all know the best way to combat that is to get the ball wide, attack the full back, hit the bye line and get the cross in. When RN arrived he already had Moore, White and Henderson can also play there. He has since signed Frear, Roberts, Ginnelly,GMS and Kasteneer. In total 8 players. RN has on numerous occasions stated that he wants to play 2 wingers to hit the bye line and get the crosses in. Forgetting individual opinions on a player, I can say I have never seen any evidence of that style of play. Add in the total lack of energy in midfield, which brings about the slow build up, which in turn allows the opposition to get behind the ball, we come back to the failure to play to the style he states he wants. Add in our poor finishing and equally poor corners and free kicks, it all comes back to what the hell do they get coached on each day. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No disrespect but in the middle of world crisis, this is a regime beyond your wildest dreams. 

Solvent and investment. 

The matchday hysterical outcry really doesn't look at a big picture and is self indulgent nonsense from those with an irrational hatred of Neilson. Neilson though far from perfect nor any sort of football genius got the job done first time, he is getting the job done again and extremely unfortunate not to have a Scottish Cup in the boardroom. 

There are always hysterics on a match day thread but RN deserves criticism imo. The problem is on one side you have posters who just want him gone, almost regardless of anything else and on the other you have folk who will defend the fact we barely threaten to score against Ayr and QoS and pretend everything is ok. Everything isn’t ok. We are a disjointed mess full of players who often don’t seem as motivated as the teams they are playing. That is concerning. 

2 minutes ago, David Black said:

When faced with a packed defence as we are every week, we all know the best way to combat that is to get the ball wide, attack the full back, hit the bye line and get the cross in. When RN arrived he already had Moore, White and Henderson can also play there. He has since signed Frear, Roberts, Ginnelly,GMS and Kasteneer. In total 8 players. RN has on numerous occasions stated that he wants to play 2 wingers to hit the bye line and get the crosses in. Forgetting individual opinions on a player, I can say I have never seen any evidence of that style of play. Add in the total lack of energy in midfield, which brings about the slow build up, which in turn allows the opposition to get behind the ball, we come back to the failure to play to the style he states he wants. Add in our poor finishing and equally poor corners and free kicks, it all comes back to what the hell do they get coached on each day. 

He forgets that these wingers need more than Boyce to aim at.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

We all know we are going to win this league but this team would be scrapping at the bottom of the SPL...If this is our style of play for next year then we are screwed...

Dundee United. A team with less talent close to top 6.

Scottish Cup we didn't lose to either of 2 top 3 teams. 

Motivation is a huge factor in this season of all seasons and largely we are living in a comfort zone. More than capable of upping the intensity. 

I'm not worried at all. Having managed human beings for a long time, you get to understand how performance can be affected by circumstances. 

When it's too easy, they get bored, they think differently. They are human not robots, what we are witnessing, particularly without crowds, I would suggest is perfectly normal. 

Plenty of teams showing similar traits 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

There are always hysterics on a match day thread but RN deserves criticism imo. The problem is on one side you have posters who just want him gone, almost regardless of anything else and on the other you have folk who will defend the fact we barely threaten to score against Ayr and QoS and pretend everything is ok. Everything isn’t ok. We are a disjointed mess full of players who often don’t seem as motivated as the teams they are playing. That is concerning. 

See above post 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

See above post 

All very fair points in that post. The last two performances to me were unacceptable. He will get time to sort it but for me, he’s barking up the wrong tree with 4-2-3-1. It’s his job to motivate the players enough and get the tactics right to the point where we are creating chances against Ayr and QoS. Right now, he is failing to get the best out of these players. Regardless of the reasons for this we need to see some sort of improvement particularly given the quality of the opposition. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Motivation is a huge factor in this season of all seasons and largely we are living in a comfort zone. More than capable of upping the intensity. 

I'm not worried at all. Having managed human beings for a long time, you get to understand how performance can be affected by circumstances. 

When it's too easy, they get bored, they think differently. They are human not robots, what we are witnessing, particularly without crowds, I would suggest is perfectly normal. 

I don't think we can guage the team's effort by looking at cup games - we've reached the last 2 SC finals and had a forced relegation in the middle of them...This is about lack of effort against teams which are set up to frustrate and the SPL is full of such teams - from 5th to 12th there is not much difference in the SPL. They can all have bad runs and good runs of results - but 8/10 times their players will leave it all out there on the pitch. We can pretend that we've had consistency of result but our performances haven't been good since the first day of the season...

We just don't look very convincing anywhere on the pitch except GK. If it wasn't for the ability of Naismith, Boyce & Walker to produce that little spark of class every so often we'd be back with Raith and Dunfermline...

I don't mind a team taking its foot off the gas but do it once the game is won FFS, not from kick-off!

Edited by Spellczech

It was chronic really, in the end anyway, after a brisk start.  There’s actually too much passing. We need players who can take a ball tight in areas that count, make a defence actually defend. (Boyce can do it, Walker was taking nice touches but no one working off him).

This constant recycling of the ball pish just lets the opposition get back into shape. I’d rather we worked at doing the hard stuff in training than making side to side, backwards passes which actually don’t pull the opposition out of their comfort zone which is its intention. 

12 hours ago, 5jambo1 said:

So poor, we are just to easy to play against, to not have a shot on target the whole game is embarrassing. We were far too defensive tonight and too rigid.

the amount of times we had the ball at the back and we have a flattish back 4 with Irving and Halliday dropping to get the ball. We only need one of them

doing that, the other one needs to push on which will then allow the ten (Jamie Walker) to push on and get closer to Boyce. He has far to much ground to cover and is trying not to leave too big a gap between him and the other two centre mids

also the full backs need to push on! We have 4 at the back with 2 sitting v one QOTS striker with a midfielder pushing on occasionally! Which then meant they had 9 against our remaining 4 players who couldn’t get a sniff. Push smith and Kingsley on which then allows the 2 wingers to double up out wide or tuck in and get closer to Boyce. It was so obvious he was too isolated but we never changed it! 

we need to do something different to break teams down. It’s like we are waiting for someone else to do something. Passing it sideways with everyone coming short to the ball is not working. It’s like we are scared to break the lines and make a forward run. There wasn’t a period in the game

tonight where I thought we were going to score.

Too many players off it. We will still go up but performances need to improve. I like the idea of haring and mcaneef as the 2. Haring sitting breaking up play and getting on the ball, with mcaneff box to box giving us energy. 

Spot on. I said the same last night Halliday and Irving should never play together in Midfield. Its got to be mcAneff or even McGill (not seen a lot of him but what I have I like) in the more attacking role. No wonder our possession stats probably look good because we pass the ball about the back when it is 6 against 2. Teams must love playing us we are so predictable especially away from Home.

14 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He went to France then a spell at Sunderland before the Huns. 

Sunderland got him for nothing after he went to France [Johnston did complain that everybody spoke French there!] leading David Murray to state that Hearts should be questioning that particular transfer manouevre

14 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

McFadden, "Kingsley impeded Jones, its a penalty". 

Kingsley was goal side and not preventing jones from going toward the ball.    No coincidence he went down soon as he's in the box. 

A few dives on other occasions too.

Fortunate draw from a rubbish match.    Need to get back on a proper surface.    Hope there's no injuries. 

Astounded when , at halftime , it was stated that the penalty award was in no way contentious .

Doesn't change the fact we were rotten but not a penalty . Can't really [?] blame the referee [he was rotten too] the player was clever but he cheated

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Ok they are not robots, but FFS they are professional sportsmen. If you or any employee didn't do a good job they would be sacked. Only football has this safety net of contracts that are hard to break. Players need to step up and show they are worth the huge wages ( in comparison to most jobs ) they receive. Said once before would you employ a joiner who couldn't use a saw, or a painter that couldn't use a brush. These guys have done nothing all their days bar kick a football and if they can't manage that then they should try picking up a brush ( road sweeper preferably ) 

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

1 hour ago, David Black said:

👍

58 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It was chronic really, in the end anyway, after a brisk start.  There’s actually too much passing. We need players who can take a ball tight in areas that count, make a defence actually defend. (Boyce can do it, Walker was taking nice touches but no one working off him).

This constant recycling of the ball pish just lets the opposition get back into shape. I’d rather we worked at doing the hard stuff in training than making side to side, backwards passes which actually don’t pull the opposition out of their comfort zone which is its intention. 

Reminded me when Hibs fan Sean O’Paddy went on Mastermind to answer questions on Hibs -

“You had 105 passes and scored 0”

59 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Reminded me when Hibs fan Sean O’Paddy went on Mastermind to answer questions on Hibs -

“You had 105 passes and scored 0”

Haha 👍🏻

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I don't think we can guage the team's effort by looking at cup games - we've reached the last 2 SC finals and had a forced relegation in the middle of them...This is about lack of effort against teams which are set up to frustrate and the SPL is full of such teams - from 5th to 12th there is not much difference in the SPL. They can all have bad runs and good runs of results - but 8/10 times their players will leave it all out there on the pitch. We can pretend that we've had consistency of result but our performances haven't been good since the first day of the season...

We just don't look very convincing anywhere on the pitch except GK. If it wasn't for the ability of Naismith, Boyce & Walker to produce that little spark of class every so often we'd be back with Raith and Dunfermline...

I don't mind a team taking its foot off the gas but do it once the game is won FFS, not from kick-off!

So good games don't count then.

Only review bad shit. That is fundamentally what is wrong with society I suppose 

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Solvent and investment. 

Watching our last few performances on tv, admittedly in never seen our best performance at Starks Park, the quality we have shown is utterly horrendous tbh,devoid of anything resembling quality football.

Im certainly no Robbie basher, quite the opposite in all honesty, but its hard not to be concerned with the level of quality on show, we aren't even close to doing the basics right .

Last night QOS were under strength and dreadful, no better than Lowland league standard. 

If you then factor in the performances against Dundee, Dunfermline and Raith there's a definate pattern emerging. There's no doubt in my mind we'd be cast a drift at the bottom of the Spl in we weren't demoted. 

Ive actually been  stunned how bad we are this year, i bleeding bad tbh .The only saving grace this season is the utter garbage we are up against in the Championship, that should see us promoted but its really only papering over the cracks , as a club we are regressing badly .

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok they are not robots, but FFS they are professional sportsmen. If you or any employee didn't do a good job they would be sacked. Only football has this safety net of contracts that are hard to break. Players need to step up and show they are worth the huge wages ( in comparison to most jobs ) they receive. Said once before would you employ a joiner who couldn't use a saw, or a painter that couldn't use a brush. These guys have done nothing all their days bar kick a football and if they can't manage that then they should try picking up a brush ( road sweeper preferably ) 

They will quite confidently and correctly say,  they are comfortably clear at the top of the table and competed strongly in the Scottish Cup. 

Those are facts rather than feelings. 

Its not enough to win these days, clear to see, and by that I don't just mean Hearts or Hearts supporters,  its everywhere. The internet spawned a monster of false expectations. 

I'll be honest I find it a tough watch,  sometimes and at other times we win well, the end of the day its getting the job done and that is hard to argue it isn't 

15 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I think we should be technically good enough to conquer the pitch. 

These pitches do slow the game,  but we have overcome that before. 

Why people take these comments literally I'm not sure, not many post match comments are genuine. 

Very few have a go at their own players. 

Not a Neilson trait, a football management one. 

Rugby is on today, I'd wager that the quality of post match comments by the managers will be at a much higher level. If they weren't they'd get called out and pilloried. 

If we continue to accept rubbish like he has spouted on several recent occasions and allow it to go unmentioned then that is exactly what we will get. Stop playing us for fools Robbie, both teams played in the same pitch/snow/wind/rain, your job is to make sure we are ready for that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Watching our last few performances on tv, admittedly in never seen our best performance at Starks Park, the quality we have shown is utterly horrendous tbh,devoid of anything resembling quality football.

Im certainly no Robbie basher, quite the opposite in all honesty, but its hard not to be concerned with the level of quality on show, we aren't even close to doing the basics right .

Last night QOS were under strength and dreadful, no better than Lowland league standard. 

If you then factor in the performances against Dundee, Dunfermline and Raith there's a definate pattern emerging. There's no doubt in my mind we'd be cast a drift at the bottom of the Spl in we weren't demoted. 

Ive actually been  stunned how bad we are this year, i bleeding bad tbh .The only saving grace this season is the utter garbage we are up against in the Championship, that should see us promoted but its really only papering over the cracks , as a club we are regressing badly .

I don't think we are. Take a look outside of Hearts.

We are not alone. They lift the game it seems when necessary. 

I've actually watched back the first 25 minutes from last night. Tempo was really good final ball and people bursting into the box sadly lacking. 

Feel sometimes we are allowing ourselves to be dragged down and other times trying to avoid that we overplay, in between some really decent performances. 

I'm sure we will be fine going back up if we can fix midfield and centre backs. 

I don't think it should be held as an excuse, but its definitely a factor,  pitches. Not many great ones away from Tynecastle. Nevertheless disappointed our superior skills are not shining through too often 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Japan Jambo said:

Rugby is on today, I'd wager that the quality of post match comments by the managers will be at a much higher level. If they weren't they'd get called out and pilloried. 

If we continue to accept rubbish like he has spouted on several recent occasions and allow it to go unmentioned then that is exactly what we will get. Stop playing us for fools Robbie, both teams played in the same pitch/snow/wind/rain, your job is to make sure we are ready for that.

One thing trying to sit in, another thing trying to force a game on surfaces that are slow or uneven. 

But we have far better players that should be doing better than they are.

To be fair it's a point often missed, Hearts are pissing the League in 2nd gear so you would have to say more often than not Hearts have been prepared 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I don't think we are. Take a look outside of Hearts.

We are not alone. They lift the game it seems when necessary. 

I've actually watched back the first 25 minutes from last night. Tempo was really good final ball and people bursting into the box sadly lacking. 

Feel sometimes we are allowing ourselves to be dragged down and other times trying to avoid that we overplay, in between some really decent performances. 

I'm sure we will be fine going back up if we can fix midfield and centre backs. 

I don't think it should be held as an excuse, but its definitely a factor,  pitches. Not many great ones away from Tynecastle. Nevertheless disappointed our superior skills are not shining through too often 

Fair comment and i would add that Robbie needs time to find out who he can trust consistently. 

The attitude of the players and character of the dressing room is still a worry for me , the club seems to be soft from top to bottom but especially within the players. There is an acceptance that my team mates can play shit without any consequences imo. Cant remember ever seeing any of our players getting animated with each other during a game .

Thats been a problem long before Robbie tbf

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

One thing trying to sit in, another thing trying to force a game on surfaces that are slow or uneven. 

To be fair it's a point often missed, Hearts are pissing the League in 2nd gear so you would have to say more often than not Hearts have been prepared 

I'd contend that given we have significantly better players if they were prepared properly and were motivated to perform we wouldn't repeatedly struggle away from home (in particular) like we have.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I'd contend that given we have significantly better players if they were prepared properly and were motivated to perform we wouldn't repeatedly struggle away from home (in particular) like we have.

Honestly sometimes it's well nigh impossible to motivate people so far inside a comfort zone. Players have a responsibility, however they will argue,  job is getting done. 

Its simply the case its neither as entertaining nor aesthetic as you or I would wish. 

I'm not trying to say its good,  far from it, but I am trying to look at it objectively rather than from emotion.

I honestly think you would struggle to name 10 entertaining teams in the UK. Most football these days is based on structure rather than expression 

20 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Basically up against an u23 side with a few journeyman and loanees against our side sprinkled within internationalists , we were outplayed outfought and out thought in the dugout , 
Our manager s comments are embarrassing these are his players and his tactics being ripped apart up and down Scotland ,played for the first 10 minutes and we went back into our shell 

I would hate to see the reaction if we were mid table. It hasn't been good to watch far too often. IMO we are too old and slow as a unit and it just takes a team with a little pace and energy and we are struggling.

That said the amount of folk screaming for the managers head straight after they scored a non penalty was crazy. Dozens of coiled springs desperate to have a go Neilson no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

That pitch last night was anything but “slow and uneven” it was fast and smooth, so should it not have been an advantage to our allegedly superior players and passing game?

8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I would hate to see the reaction if we were mid table. It hasn't been good to watch far too often. IMO we are too old and slow as a unit and it just takes a team with a little pace and energy and we are struggling.

That said the amount of folk screaming for the managers head straight after they scored a non penalty was crazy. Dozens of coiled springs desperate to have a go Neilson no matter what. 

It's not for the sake if having a go, it's fans seeing what's ahead if we don't see changes.  By that I mean football.  We have seen nothing of this up to now.  Most away performances are the same as the last 4 years. 

If we can't develop a style of 0lay that works while in this division  when will we?  

We are honestly just bored   

10 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Balanced out by the happy Clappers who defend Neilson no matter what....

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

That pitch last night was anything but “slow and uneven” it was fast and smooth, so should it not have been an advantage to our allegedly superior players and passing game?

He said it was the that meant we couldn't play our passing game when it looks like we couldn't take advantage because we don't play an passing game on the front foot. 

Lame excuse for not beating them last night.  

55 minutes ago, qferryjam said:

Basically up against an u23 side with a few journeyman and loanees against our side sprinkled within internationalists , we were outplayed outfought and out thought in the dugout , 
Our manager s comments are embarrassing these are his players and his tactics being ripped apart up and down Scotland ,played for the first 10 minutes and we went back into our shell 

Same as Dunfermline - outdone by a midfield with 2 loanees and a guy that was playing 3rd tier football the season before.  That time it wasn't the pitch but the referee. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Watch again Thomaso. Players running with the ball struggling to get it out of the feet and checking back for it.

Didn't watch it all, not that stupid,  honestly  :) but it was slow. 

However I think we should be able to adapt better, it would have an effect but should not stop us from doing things better and smarter.

7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Watch again Thomaso. Players running with the ball struggling to get it out of the feet and checking back for it.

Didn't watch it all, not that stupid,  honestly  :) but it was slow. 

However I think we should be able to adapt better, it would have an effect but should not stop us from doing things better and smarter.

Looked like poor ball control not the pitch IMO

Cory McNamara

Hearts have the right to end some games like this right now, but this was not a good game at all. They know it too and have to move forward. Improve and forget it like a nightmare.

8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Same as Dunfermline - outdone by a midfield with 2 loanees and a guy that was playing 3rd tier football the season before.  That time it wasn't the pitch but the referee. 

It’s been every away game without exception even when winning it’s a massive struggle, far too easy to defend against sloppy goals , lack of any consistent quality, a majority of players in every game underperforming ,

chopping and changing , tinkering with formations 

It all makes for a very poor watch 

14 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Last night McFadden in summary said that the pitch isn't great, it's ahrd for the players etc etc.. and from what i could make out from diving in my beer chiller in the next room, Stevenson seemed to disagree saying that it shouldn't really be an issue as Hearts practice on these surfaces all the time. Something like that anyway. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

:lol:

Fair bit in truth. Should we allow for not being able to feel their toes.  Nawww 

Olly Lee thriving away from Hearts.

Shocker. Watch Wighton next...and if Boyce leaves watch him.

Something has been rotten about our build up in the final third for so long.

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

So good games don't count then.

Only review bad shit. That is fundamentally what is wrong with society I suppose 

Have we had a good game since we beat Dundee 6-2?

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Last night McFadden in summary said that the pitch isn't great, it's ahrd for the players etc etc.. and from what i could make out from diving in my beer chiller in the next room, Stevenson seemed to disagree saying that it shouldn't really be an issue as Hearts practice on these surfaces all the time. Something like that anyway. 

Both of those ex professionals didn't see anything wrong with the 1st penalty, therefore their opinion because obsolete to me. 

These pundits don't always say what they see. 

20 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The board signs off balance sheets & meeting minutes. 

The end. 

So your saying they are ignorant about football. 
No wonder we’re not managed by a quality manager.

36 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Suppose the issue is that particular surface ain’t great. Some Astro better than others and could have been harder cos of the weather