****Official Queen of the South vs Heart of Midlothian match thread****

William H. Bonney

August Landmesser
40 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I know it's part of your brand on here to be negative about absolutely everything, but, when playing Halliday and Irving together in midfield, we have won every game, aside from a draw against Celtic at Hampden. Believe it is Played 10, Won 9, Drawn 1. Not bad for an awful pairing.

Not to look like I'm sticking up for I8 but Halliday & Irving played v Raith in the 3-2 loss, and Halliday was worse than an empty jersey, Irving a slightly fuller jersey.

The overall point stands though, we have done well in general with those two together 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Robbo-Jambo

• GinRummy

12 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Still don't think the game will be on but if so I think it will be 2 nil the Jambos.

I was thinking the game would probably be off tonight and popped onto this thread to see if there was any news. Having read this post, I'm now very confident that the game will go ahead! 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

Not to look like I'm sticking up for I8 but Halliday & Irving played v Raith in the 3-2 loss, and Halliday was worse than an empty jersey, Irving a slightly fuller jersey.

The overall point stands though, we have done well in general with those two together 

Spot on mate, that's one that I've missed. As you say, the results have generally been excellent with those 2 in the middle, and they were both stinking that day, as was almost the whole team.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Agree. Cant see it being played tonight.

Temp in Dumfries up to 4 or 5 degrees this afternoon

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

This reads to me as a description of how the world “ought” to work, not how it does work. I’d say that in practice, teams that are promoted playing a lot of attacking football often struggle when they move up. Stendel’s Barnsley team was I think  a good example of this. Conversely teams that have the knack of squeezing wins out of tight games may continue to pick up points at the higher level.

I’m reminded of a quote from a Celtic manager (can’t remember which one) when they went out of Europe on goal difference after a 5-4 home win. “It was a swashbuckling performance - the attack swashed but the defence buckled”. That may be the fate of a team that moves up a division after putting the emphasis on attacking at the lower level. 

The main difference on promoted clubs is the quality of the players. 

There's another thread. But Leeds United are an ultra attacking team. Fulham and West Brom squads aren't good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Temp in Dumfries up to 4 or 5 degrees this afternoon

Throw another shrimp on the barbie then

3 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

If GMS starts tonight is he going to show us something??

Early days but he has looked very timid so far.

Yeah he has disappointed me so far but he is a good player and I’m confident he will come good for us soon.

lost in space
3 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

He has looked "timid" in his whole career.

I was pleased when we signed him as he has undoubted skill.  Watching him in his first game for us I remembered that he is not the bravest.

However, he has not yet reached full fitness so we should wait until he has before judging him.

I preferred Gino (looks as though he had a better attitude) and hope that Kastaneer is better.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I get what you are saying but believe you’re maybe overthinking it a wee bit. Unlike most promotion chasing teams we have some excellent attacking players. Play to there strengths and get better central defenders and there’s no reason at all we can’t play an attacking style in the top flight. 

I agree.

It will be two from Halliday McEneff and Irving I think, which might tell us something about Irving's future, maybe with GMS on the bench along with Naismith. With the new arrivals this will be one of the most interesting starting line-ups of the season.

1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I know it's part of your brand on here to be negative about absolutely everything, but, when playing Halliday and Irving together in midfield, we have won every game, aside from a draw against Celtic at Hampden. Believe it is Played 10, Won 9, Drawn 1. Not bad for an awful pairing.

Quick. Somebody pull this man off of i8. He's killing him.....

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

This reads to me as a description of how the world “ought” to work, not how it does work. I’d say that in practice, teams that are promoted playing a lot of attacking football often struggle when they move up. Stendel’s Barnsley team was I think  a good example of this. Conversely teams that have the knack of squeezing wins out of tight games may continue to pick up points at the higher level.

I’m reminded of a quote from a Celtic manager (can’t remember which one) when they went out of Europe on goal difference after a 5-4 home win. “It was a swashbuckling performance - the attack swashed but the defence buckled”. That may be the fate of a team that moves up a division after putting the emphasis on attacking at the lower level. 

Way too sensible a post for here 😊

Nucky Thompson
42 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I was thinking the game would probably be off tonight and popped onto this thread to see if there was any news. Having read this post, I'm now very confident that the game will go ahead! 

I'm just back from Heriot Watt and I saw the team bus leave at 10am.

I thought it was a bit early as it will probably get them down there for 12pm at the latest 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Minus 2/3 degrees expected for during the game. Should go ahead no problem 

My sister and brother inlaw live 2mins walk from stadium and just spoke to them and it's nice and sunny down there and they saying everything be fine for game going ahead

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Minus 2/3 degrees expected for during the game. Should go ahead no problem 

I think so - a blessing we're not playing it tomorrow as a bit of a hoolie is forecasted

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

My sister and brother inlaw live 2mins walk from stadium and just spoke to them and it's nice and sunny down there and they saying everything be fine for game going ahead

👍

58 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Only if the full backs are allowed to help him and create space. Can't expect any winger to receive the ball 40 yards from the byline with two opponents in front of them and expect them to work miracles.

QOTS have generally been poor this season so no doubt a 1-0 defeat.🤣

In all seriousness I think a comfortable 3-0 win tonight. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Strange how time revises memories and beliefs. Last time we were in the Championship we won 11 of our games by one goal. Not really ‘steamrollering’ every game. 

We’ve also scored exactly the same number of goals (41) as at the same stage last time. 

Just now, Rudolf said:

We’ve also scored exactly the same number of goals (41) as at the same stage last time. 

👍it’s amazing how the revisionists can be refuted with facts. 

59 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm just back from Heriot Watt and I saw the team bus leave at 10am.

I thought it was a bit early as it will probably get them down there for 12pm at the latest 

Stopping off somewhere for food and rest I expect. 

3 hours ago, 1953 said:

I've just looked at the met office for Dumfries. There is little chance of rain or snow but by this evening the wind will be 13mph gusting to 25mph which will make the temp feel like -6c. Good luck lads. 2-0 to us!

It'll be cold but that's just a breeze ffs. 

A small weather update, not a cloud in the sky. Warm in the sun bit with a slight nippy breeze. Sun is enough to thaw any frost so can't see any reason for it to be called off. 

Looking forward to this. If we start the strongest team and also start with a good tempo and pressing game we shouldn't have too many problems.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The main difference on promoted clubs is the quality of the players. 

There's another thread. But Leeds United are an ultra attacking team. Fulham and West Brom squads aren't good enough. 

Leeds style was always far more suited to a higher level. They had real difficulty with physical strength,  Cardiff and Millwall 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Can't be worse than last week weather wise. QOS not as physical, expect a slightly better event.

3 1 to the men in Maroon 

Another narrow win will do me. 

It would be nice to score a few but away games have often been awkward for us. 

A repeat of Ayr 0-1, three points and another huge stride out of this league would suffice.

Ex member of the SaS

Hearts fans predicting 4-0 , 8-0 and even 24-0. I hope they are all wrong. Personally I want a 0-somthing score. Preferably more than 0-1 but will take that as long as the players look up for it.

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Used to not mind QotS. Hope they are knackered now though.

Dumfries is  still quite a nice area. 

Don't know how things are now but Dumfries itself used used to be as rough as a badgers wotsit

51 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Stopping off somewhere for food and rest I expect. 

Exactly

As of about 5pm last night BBC outside broadcast vans set up in Palmerston car park, cables running into stadium etc.  

But no mention of game on the BBC Scottish football page!

Just now, Devorgilla said:

As of about 5pm last night BBC outside broadcast vans set up in Palmerston car park, cables running into stadium etc.  

But no mention of game on the BBC Scottish football page!

Maybe for highlights or Alba?

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Strange how time revises memories and beliefs. Last time we were in the Championship we won 11 of our games by one goal. Not really ‘steamrollering’ every game. 

That was why I said some of our games, not all, and in terms of  steamrollering the opposition I class anything from a 1-0 win to a 10-0 win as steamrollering the opposition. I accept, in hindsight, it probably does suggest they were all big wins. But to me a win is a win.

Glamorgan Jambo

It will all be about the battle early on and putting plenty pressure on their defenders to force them to start lumping the ball as opposed to playing it up the park. If we can win that part then our attack is good enough to get at least a couple of goals and win the game comfortably. Don't expect free flowing soccer though. Would like to see someone like Henderson involved from the start just for his pace and ability to constantly nip at their defenders when in possession but very unlikely.

1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

It will all be about the battle early on and putting plenty pressure on their defenders to force them to start lumping the ball as opposed to playing it up the park. If we can win that part then our attack is good enough to get at least a couple of goals and win the game comfortably. Don't expect free flowing soccer though. Would like to see someone like Henderson involved from the start just for his pace and ability to constantly nip at their defenders when in possession but very unlikely.

Not sure how ready he is but Kastaneer looks a player who will do that job well. Seemed happy in his cameo last week to hassle and even batter into tackles. Would love him and McEneff to get a good run tonight.

Both seem high energy players and may not have 90mins of that in the tank. Guess decision is use them to set the tempo from start or bring on to raise it later.

I'd always hope we choose option 1 there

My half sister

QoS away was one of the highlights of the 14/15 Championship season, their fans were very friendly and the whole town seemed to enjoy our presence.

It's just a pity their chairman took the Celtic pound and as a result, I will never set foot in their ground again.

The first match that season was a potentially tough one on paper but we had the game won by half time. More of the same tonight Hearts.