****Official Queen of the South vs Heart of Midlothian match thread****

William H. Bonney

51 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Funnily enough, a boring 1-0 is as enjoyable as an 8-0 because once this season ends it will be forgotten and disregarded. The sooner it is over and our reinstatement is confirmed, the better. The pseudo-Nevilles who are more worried about style, passing stats and expected goals can foxtrot oscar.

An 8-0 win would be very enjoyable even from the comfort of my old armchair!

I do agree that the sooner we get out of this league the better, however I would have thought that Neilson may be looking to improve our passing, style and team development to give us a good basis to go into the Premier league with.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Robbo-Jambo

• GinRummy

26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

2s are fine.

Don't want a Csaba type play for 1.0s as their 0 soon become 1s and our 1s, 0s.

(Opinioned based on what I thought happened over a decade ago, rather than any form of research)

Was Csaba guilty of that? I would have thought your finger could have been pointed at our ex DoF in that regard?

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

An 8-0 win would be very enjoyable even from the comfort of my old armchair!

I do agree that the sooner we get out of this league the better, however I would have thought that Neilson may be looking to improve our passing, style and team development to give us a good basis to go into the Premier league with.

Sure but I think this is a dangerous fallacy. If we think back to our runaway success at this level last time, we felt we had a team that was ready to challenge at the top end of the table when we went up. As it transpired, a number of players were simply not good enough. Pallardo was a classic example. So, irrespective of style points, I look forward to transplanting new players into a number of positions next season.

5 hours ago, Jambojock9 said:

They are staying at the Holiday inn up at the crichton 

Thanks.  Presumably just for before the game, not overnight?!

5 hours ago, Kid A said:

Half thought about getting a set of ladders and watching over the wall on Terregles Street

Would think if any Queens supporters were doing this then it would have been in the media, surely.  I have access to a set of ladders but I think in front of the fire and tv will be comfier!

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Still don't think the game will be on but if so I think it will be 2 nil the Jambos.

Sorry to spoil your latest negative post but Latest weather forecast has gales not starting until midnight now and temperature of-1.

6 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Sorry to spoil your latest negative post but Latest weather forecast has gales not starting until midnight now and temperature of-1.

Have they cleared the pitch?

1-0 Hearts.

Any win will do this season.  Get the fecking league won, change most of the team for next season, finish 3rd (at least) next year.

By the way ....     :fth: 

18 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I predicted a Hearts win.

35 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Still don't think the game will be on but if so I think it will be 2 nil the Jambos.

It will quite clearly be on. 

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sure but I think this is a dangerous fallacy. If we think back to our runaway success at this level last time, we felt we had a team that was ready to challenge at the top end of the table when we went up. As it transpired, a number of players were simply not good enough. Pallardo was a classic example. So, irrespective of style points, I look forward to transplanting new players into a number of positions next season.

Personally I thought the Championship winning team was dismantled far to early.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Correct,   a few places to be filled  by players who can actually improve us ,  but it's horses for courses just now   and time to  think about change the minute we win our way back.up,  let's just put a few goals away mean.time and put spl on a slow back burner for now.   Onwards & upwards 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

Jambof3tornado

I think we have better competition for places so hopefully that pushes players to perform better.

We will click at some point and batter a team.

Away in dumfries sounds like a good place for it to happen.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If you say ****ing in between boos it feels a bit better.  Dunno if swearing makes you feel less childish or if there’s some other reason for it but definitely works. 

I'll try it but only if I have to and I hope I don't have to.  Must say that it definately works when I switch on my score app to find that we are 3-0 down to Stenhousemuir at half time.  That sort of thing.

StevenNaismith

Gordon

Smith

Popescu

Halkett

Kingsley

Irving 
Halliday

Walker

McEneff

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

3-0 Hearts, Boyce x2 & Walker

I find this train of thought that says 'it doesn't matter how we play this season as long as we win the matches and get promoted' to be a bit short sighted, I have to say. Obviously the bottom line is that we want to win the games and failure to get promoted would be a disaster. But we need to be thinking a bit more bigger picture than that. I certainly hope our management team are.

If we were to win every game from now until the end of the season 1-0 or 2-1 and we were just scraping by and not really playing well, that doesn't really set us up very well for next season does it? I feel we should be using the fact that we are facing weaker opposition as an opportunity to fine tune a style of play, work on our attacking play in particular, and build confidence throughout the squad by scoring a lot of goals and winning games convincingly. Obviously we can't win convincingly all the time but that is certainly what we should be striving for in this league. 

I'd actually be pretty disappointed in the management team if they were sending out signals to the players that any win will do and it doesn't really matter about performances just as long as we get promoted. I really feel we shouldn't be viewing this season as a kind of season in isolation. We should be looking at it in terms of where we want to be at the beginning of next season and using it to build towards that time.  

7 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Don't want a Csaba type play for 1.0s as their 0 soon become 1s and our 1s, 0s.

That's a very binary way of looking at it.

Can anyone name me a club in scotland who plays good football? This nonsense about attacking football or style. In scotland it’s about winning battles, second balls and being aggressive.

45 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Can anyone name me a club in scotland who plays good football? This nonsense about attacking football or style. In scotland it’s about winning battles, second balls and being aggressive.

Wouldn’t disagree with your last paragraph at all....but there’s playing good football then there’s playing well and having a positive strategy.  Two different things. 

As I say, I don’t disagree with those main parts you say but that’s the fundamentals , always will be, before you start going about fine tuning a squad to improve standards and play.  

We’ve been doing the opposite for the last 3 years. I do want to see better play though. We go decades saying winning only counts but we struggled to do that in the last few years. It’s about setting a standard to get back there. 

11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Funnily enough, a boring 1-0 is as enjoyable as an 8-0 because once this season ends it will be forgotten and disregarded. The sooner it is over and our reinstatement is confirmed, the better. The pseudo-Nevilles who are more worried about style, passing stats and expected goals can foxtrot oscar.

:spoton: In and out as quickly as possible. Get the job done. 

:rofl:Foxtrot Oscar. I'm using that, GK. If that's OK. 

8 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Personally I thought the Championship winning team was dismantled far to early.

Totally agree. Personally I put it down to the influence of Levein

8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Gordon

Smith

Popescu

Halkett

Kingsley

Irving 
Halliday

Walker

McEneff

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

3-0 Hearts, Boyce x2 & Walker

Irving and Halliday are awful together. They just don't click imo. They certainly don't deserve a start after the last game.  If they start then the players around them will have to work twice as hard. Awful pairing, just awful.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Irving and Halliday are awful together. They just don't click imo. They certainly don't deserve a start after the last game.  If they start then the players around them will have to work twice as hard. Awful pairing, just awful.

I liked the Stendel version of Irving. He encouraged more energy from him. Running with the ball, pushing through the middle.  

Irving is a player I like and I’m not saying he’s playing poorly, he’s just slipped back into a sitting , half paced role. I’d have liked the former to have absorbed into his style and it worries me when players don’t let that become natural.  

I've just looked at the met office for Dumfries. There is little chance of rain or snow but by this evening the wind will be 13mph gusting to 25mph which will make the temp feel like -6c. Good luck lads. 2-0 to us!

3 pts, a few goals, a clean sheet and keep the momentum going to get out of this tinpot league. Will still take a 1-0 win in the 96 min

portobellojambo1
11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I agree with the above Geoff, promotion back to the top flight is the important factor, not how we do it, how many goals we score, just doing it. I was probably one of many who thought after some of the results we got the last time we were in the Championship that coming back up it would be more of the same, we'd just steamroller every team. I hope, but am getting the impression, that the back room staff are learning a lot more this time round, in as much as they are learning in advance of coming back up who will be best suited to help us hold our own once there. I suspect that in addition to working out who, and in what positions, people will continue to perform well in the top flight, working out which players we can say goodbye to and where we need to strengthen will also be getting considered in advance of next season, rather than waiting and trying to then change everything once the new season is underway. Beat the opposition, irrespective of the score, and the end result is always three points, learning from games we lose, why we lost them, is also a big factor. Once up instilling belief in the players will also play its part, and that is where I think having guys like Lee McCulloch amongst the backroom staff can help. He was brought up with the sort of attitude that is bred by the OF, that football is all about winning, not just playing, and I think we need to instill a similar attitude in our players, that winning = prizes.

Edited by portobellojambo1

17 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

3 pts, a few goals, a clean sheet and keep the momentum going to get out of this tinpot league. Will still take a 1-0 win in the 96 min

FS Weebroon I’ll have smashed the tv by that time.

All about getting to **** out this league and i really couldn’t give to flying ****s how well the team play. Get the results on the board whilst building a team that will be able to hit the Premier League by storm next season. 

Niemi’s gloves
8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I find this train of thought that says 'it doesn't matter how we play this season as long as we win the matches and get promoted' to be a bit short sighted, I have to say. Obviously the bottom line is that we want to win the games and failure to get promoted would be a disaster. But we need to be thinking a bit more bigger picture than that. I certainly hope our management team are.

If we were to win every game from now until the end of the season 1-0 or 2-1 and we were just scraping by and not really playing well, that doesn't really set us up very well for next season does it? I feel we should be using the fact that we are facing weaker opposition as an opportunity to fine tune a style of play, work on our attacking play in particular, and build confidence throughout the squad by scoring a lot of goals and winning games convincingly. Obviously we can't win convincingly all the time but that is certainly what we should be striving for in this league. 

I'd actually be pretty disappointed in the management team if they were sending out signals to the players that any win will do and it doesn't really matter about performances just as long as we get promoted. I really feel we shouldn't be viewing this season as a kind of season in isolation. We should be looking at it in terms of where we want to be at the beginning of next season and using it to build towards that time.  

This reads to me as a description of how the world “ought” to work, not how it does work. I’d say that in practice, teams that are promoted playing a lot of attacking football often struggle when they move up. Stendel’s Barnsley team was I think  a good example of this. Conversely teams that have the knack of squeezing wins out of tight games may continue to pick up points at the higher level.

I’m reminded of a quote from a Celtic manager (can’t remember which one) when they went out of Europe on goal difference after a 5-4 home win. “It was a swashbuckling performance - the attack swashed but the defence buckled”. That may be the fate of a team that moves up a division after putting the emphasis on attacking at the lower level. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
48 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I know it's part of your brand on here to be negative about absolutely everything, but, when playing Halliday and Irving together in midfield, we have won every game, aside from a draw against Celtic at Hampden. Believe it is Played 10, Won 9, Drawn 1. Not bad for an awful pairing.

17 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

This reads to me as a description of how the world “ought” to work, not how it does work. I’d say that in practice, teams that are promoted playing a lot of attacking football often struggle when they move up. Stendel’s Barnsley team was I think  a good example of this. Conversely teams that have the knack of squeezing wins out of tight games may continue to pick up points at the higher level.

I’m reminded of a quote from a Celtic manager (can’t remember which one) when they went out of Europe on goal difference after a 5-4 home win. “It was a swashbuckling performance - the attack swashed but the defence buckled”. That may be the fate of a team that moves up a division after putting the emphasis on attacking at the lower level. 

I get what you are saying but believe you’re maybe overthinking it a wee bit. Unlike most promotion chasing teams we have some excellent attacking players. Play to there strengths and get better central defenders and there’s no reason at all we can’t play an attacking style in the top flight. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

16 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I know it's part of your brand on here to be negative about absolutely everything, but, when playing Halliday and Irving together in midfield, we have won every game, aside from a draw against Celtic at Hampden. Believe it is Played 10, Won 9, Drawn 1. Not bad for an awful pairing.

8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Oh, i8. :lol:

Back to the spreadsheets.

HaHa comedy gold.

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I agree with the above Geoff, promotion back to the top flight is the important factor, not how we do it, how many goals we score, just doing it. I was probably one of many who thought after some of the results we got the last time we were in the Championship that coming back up it would be more of the same, we'd just steamroller every team. I hope, but am getting the impression, that the back room staff are learning a lot more this time round, in as much as they are learning in advance of coming back up who will be best suited to help us hold our own once there. I suspect that in addition to working out who, and in what positions, people will continue to perform well in the top flight, working out which players we can say goodbye to and where we need to strengthen will also be getting considered in advance of next season, rather than waiting and trying to then change everything once the new season is underway. Beat the opposition, irrespective of the score, and the end result is always three points, learning from games we lose, why we lost them, is also a big factor. Once up instilling belief in the players will also play its part, and that is where I think having guys like Lee McCulloch amongst the backroom staff can help. He was brought up with the sort of attitude that is bred by the OF, that football is all about winning, not just playing, and I think we need to instill a similar attitude in our players, that winning = prizes.

Strange how time revises memories and beliefs. Last time we were in the Championship we won 11 of our games by one goal. Not really ‘steamrollering’ every game.