TV Licence

Maroon Sailor

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Totally agree : I'm very happy for the BBC to become a subscription service as I'm being held hostage in having to pay for a licence even thought I almost never watch the BBC. 

I'm sick of programmes like Question Time (tonight's offering - the first I've watched in a couple of years simply because there was a Scottish audience- was a total car crash).

The BBC pandering to right wing nutters like UKIP/Brexit Party/ERG/TPA/Guido/Andrew Neil has been disgraceful in its lack of balance. 

Yeah shocking better with itv and Piers Morgan interviewing Gemma Collins whilst bbc show bloody toaries playing  live cup football 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• FWJ

• Costanza

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yeah shocking better with itv and Piers Morgan interviewing Gemma Collins whilst bbc show bloody toaries playing  live cup football 

Tories? Playing football? What makes them Tories?

On 09/02/2021 at 20:48, FWJ said:

I pay the licence fee and am happy to. A fraction of what other tv providers cost - and no adverts.

TBH I’d pay it for BBC radio output alone.

Yaay, then you could listen to the arsehole presenters on BBC Radio 1 that claim every new song/act is "massive"!!!

Live lounge. Really, listening to some halfwit singing an accoustic version of someone else's music and then the same arsehole presenter says it was "awesome" and "made the hairs stand-up on the back of their neck" and the "cant wait" for their new album to come out etc. Fawning fake shite. I wouldn't look out the window to see more than half of them if they were playing in my front garden!

I hope the lot of it goes down the swanny personally!

Rant not aimed at you, I just HATE BBC Radio London (sorry 1) with a passion.

Edited by Pans Jambo

18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yaay, then you could listen to the arsehole presenters on BBC Radio 1 that claim every new song/act is "massive"!!!

Live lounge. Really, listening to some halfwit singing an accoustic version of someone else's music and then the same arsehole presenter says it was "awesome" and "made the hairs stand-up on the back of their neck" and the "cant wait" for their new album to come out etc. Fawning fake shite. I wouldn't look out the window to see more than half of them if they were playing in my front garden!

I hope the lot of it goes down the swanny personally!

Rant not aimed at you, I just HATE BBC Radio London (sorry 1) with a passion.

It’s a long time since I listened to Radio 1!  
Don’t think I’ve known what’s no. 1 since about 1995....  🤣  (and a bit 😢 too)

• 3 months later...
Rick James

After my post in this thread saying I've never paid the licence in my puff, I'm now at a crossroads. I've this morning received the dreaded red envelope advising that due to me not getting in touch, they've no option but to proceed with enforcement or whatever.

Now, personally I couldn't really give a flying ****. I mean, my name isn't on the letters so whatever. But, I'm in a private rented flat and I'm just not sure what lengths they'll go to. What I don't want is my landlord somehow catching wind, and me getting in shit for it. Am I as well just biting the bullet and paying, or do I just continue to ignore?

2 hours ago, Locky said:

After my post in this thread saying I've never paid the licence in my puff, I'm now at a crossroads. I've this morning received the dreaded red envelope advising that due to me not getting in touch, they've no option but to proceed with enforcement or whatever.

Now, personally I couldn't really give a flying ****. I mean, my name isn't on the letters so whatever. But, I'm in a private rented flat and I'm just not sure what lengths they'll go to. What I don't want is my landlord somehow catching wind, and me getting in shit for it. Am I as well just biting the bullet and paying, or do I just continue to ignore?

Ignore it. Don't respond. Put it in the bin. 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Pay it and sleep easy

dobmisterdobster
20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ignore it. Don't respond. Put it in the bin. 

This. You don't have to let the inspectors in your house.

21 hours ago, Locky said:

I get one letter a month from them. Been collecting them for the last few years 😁

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

I get one letter a month from them. Been collecting them for the last few years 😁

Must surely cost them more to chase this do the admin and send enforcement officers out or take you through court than the license costs per head that dont pay it?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Maroon Sailor

BBC Saturday night TV

Celebrity Weakest Link

Celebrity Wall

Celebrity Pointless

Celebrity Wheel

Well worth the licence fee

Jambo_jim2001
On 22/05/2021 at 15:34, Locky said:

Like the rest I've been getting same letters for years now.why bother with telly licence when all is available on internet on catch up for free.never watch live TV or streaming.plus still got Kodi system

28 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Like the rest I've been getting same letters for years now.why bother with telly licence when all is available on internet on catch up for free.never watch live TV or streaming.plus still got Kodi system

The TV licence seems to cover it all now, so even if you want to watch iPlayer or listen to BBC radio, you still need to have a licence.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

BBC Saturday night TV

Celebrity Weakest Link

Celebrity Wall

Celebrity Pointless

Celebrity Wheel

Well worth the licence fee

Sums it up. It's utter shite. 

I've got IPTV, Netflix, Prime, Disney+. I can watch ITV player, Channel 4 player etc.... 

Why the **** would anyone who has those options pay £159 quid a year for a TV license. :lol: They need to up their game significantly if they want to survive. 

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, Locky said:

The TV licence seems to cover it all now, so even if you want to watch iPlayer or listen to BBC radio, you still need to have a licence.

BBC iPlayer never watched it locky,,IPTV for the win..only need licence for live broadcasts as far as I know

1 hour ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

BBC iPlayer never watched it locky,,IPTV for the win..only need licence for live broadcasts as far as I know

Is that IPTV with all the illegal streams hooked up?  Hardly comparable if so.

Maroon Sailor

To think this was ITV's answer for entertainment. Nobody had a fecking clue about the clues 🤣

IMG_3087.jpg.2d1a2b2989424c480ab668533109353d.jpg

Still better than the "celebrity" pish on the BBC last night though.

On 12/02/2021 at 14:16, Dagger Is Back said:

That was very funny. Made me laugh. I loved that comedy show. Mel Smith always made me laugh. I know thats the other one just in case someone screams their tits off saying " Thats not him  " Its JKB after all 

17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

To think this was ITV's answer for entertainment. Nobody had a fecking clue about the clues 🤣

IMG_3087.jpg.2d1a2b2989424c480ab668533109353d.jpg

Still better than the "celebrity" pish on the BBC last night though.

He always gave me the creep with his smarmy look and those creepy tight polyester trousers. Yes even Stephen Hawkins would be hard pressed to work out the clues. 

One of my neighbours came to my door when I stayed in Fountainbridge, turns out he was a TV Licence inspector and wanted to know why I didn't have one, needless to say I did eventually get one.

It was the same time I was into CB Radio, my mate from across the square said one Sunday he had watched a detector van with the revolving antenna's sitting for 6 hours outside our block and he was sure it was a TV detector van and he didn't have a licence.

Police and 2 Customs and Excise officers went to my mates door with a warrant to search his address for a CB Radio, he said they asked him what his 'handle' was and he didn't have a clue what they were on about.

Turns out my CB had been coming over neighbours radios and the detector van was looking for me, seems they were trying to catch me using the CB but I was out all day, there was nothing the Police could do but the Customs and Excise guys could

confiscate the CB as it had been brought into the UK without and Tax being paid on it.

I never used the CB again at that address and I didn't know it was causing interference to my neighbours Radios.

I spoke to one neighbour in the Pub and he said he was having problems with his radio and could only hear one side of the conversation.

On 22/05/2021 at 15:34, Locky said:

Firstly never let the TV inspector access to the house. 

Secondly email the Licensing dept - address will be on your letter. 

Explain that you don’t watch live tv and only catch up like Ch4 and ITV player. Think Netflix falls into this category 

You can also advise you can review your decision next renewal date.

You will cease to be contacted - 100%

Was at my folks today and was flicking through the Mail On Sunday which unfortunately is their Sunday paper of choice.

There was an article in it advising how the BBC could make savings to cover the licence fee.

One was to scrap 6Music because it essentially duplicates Radio 2's output (officially the worst take throughout this entire debate), and CBBC because we only need one children's channel (guess he's forgotten the amount of educational programming it did for parents at the start of lockdown) and local radio.

You know, you can only assume that for a lot of these particular right wingers who hate the BBC, they are people who just desire a cultural debasement of the UK and have shit record collections.

I've got a tv licence because I watch live football via BT Sport/Amazon Prime/Now TV.

Other than that, I don't watch live tv. It's racketeering and should be scrapped. If people want what the BBC offers, then pay for it...and stop making us who don't, subsidise it.

30 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Was at my folks today and was flicking through the Mail On Sunday which unfortunately is their Sunday paper of choice.

There was an article in it advising how the BBC could make savings to cover the licence fee.

One was to scrap 6Music because it essentially duplicates Radio 2's output (officially the worst take throughout this entire debate), and CBBC because we only need one children's channel (guess he's forgotten the amount of educational programming it did for parents at the start of lockdown) and local radio.

You know, you can only assume that for a lot of these particular right wingers who hate the BBC, they are people who just desire a cultural debasement of the UK and have shit record collections.

The licence freeze was as far as they'll go, for now, but the message is clear wasn't it. The tories desire a propaganda channel. 

Jambo_jim2001
17 hours ago, frankblack said:

Is that IPTV with all the illegal streams hooked up?  Hardly comparable if so.

No, plenty to stream online that's not illegal,only dodgy one I use cut's the adverts from YouTube tbh

On 23/01/2022 at 19:02, Gizmo said:

The licence freeze was as far as they'll go, for now, but the message is clear wasn't it. The tories desire a propaganda channel. 

I actually don't think it's so much that they want a BBC that is pure propaganda for them (there's enough former Tory party members or donors in senior roles in the BBC and that hasn't changed anything) more that they aim to do the bidding of paymasters like Murdoch etc. with the Tory Party in effect just a front for capitalist lobbying these days.

These people loathe the BBC, like others hate the NHS because it impacts the amount of money they can make.

• 1 year later...
Maroon Sailor

£13.25 a month to watch the BBC

No doubt it will increase substantially to cover the salaries of those who watch football on a telly one afternoon a week for 9 months.

An argument I read today against the idea of a mass TV licence cancellations......

"the solution to the current terrible BBC management is not collapsing the BBC so that corporate media is the only option (a Tory wet dream)"

Made me think of how polarised the states is with Fox news and CNN etc. Should we be protective of the BBC but demand reforms in the management structure?

indianajones
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

An argument I read today against the idea of a mass TV licence cancellations......

"the solution to the current terrible BBC management is not collapsing the BBC so that corporate media is the only option (a Tory wet dream)"

Made me think of how polarised the states is with Fox news and CNN etc. Should we be protective of the BBC but demand reforms in the management structure?

Doesn't fly these days.

Feels like corporate media is on its last legs worldwide as everyone has (finally) clocked on to how biased they are.

Shooter McGavin
53 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Seemingly due to women being more co-operative with letting the agents in their home.

I’d be interested to find out how many people refuse the agents entry, and get a follow up visit with a warrant.

I reckon the license fees days are well and truly numbered after recent events.

Unknown user
41 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Seemingly due to women being more co-operative with letting the agents in their home.

I’d be interested to find out how many people refuse the agents entry, and get a follow up visit with a warrant.

I reckon the license fees days are well and truly numbered after recent events.

As far as I know, no one in Scotland's been convicted over their TV license.

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As far as I know, no one in Scotland's been convicted over their TV license.

My sister-in-law was taken to court for not having a license and I'm sure she was fined.  It was something like 20 odd years ago mind.

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, Meathook said:

My sister-in-law was taken to court for not having a license and I'm sure she was fined.  It was something like 20 odd years ago mind.

I'll need to look it up then, I'm not sure where I've read that 👍

I wonder if there’s much overlap between people who don’t pay their TV licence and those who park on private property and don’t pay the (civil) fine.