Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Think Lineker got a few in his net here 

He's still a pretentious prick all the same

I like him. Great player anaw. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I like him. Great player anaw. 

seems alright to me. Just happened to be a talented prick. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

What did he say, cant read that.

TV Licence is going up and he sarcastically tweeted he took a pay cut. Think he gets 1.7M from his TV work

Twitter went in to meltdown 

5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

What did he say, cant read that.

TV licence raising the fee but Gary Lineker joking saying “but.... I have had to take a pay cut” 

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

TV Licence is going up and he sarcastically tweeted he took a pay cut. Think he gets 1.7M from his TV work

He got the bites he wanted. People are idiots. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

He got the bites he wanted. People are idiots. 

Don't think it was the best thing to say at the present time considering his outrageous salary with a lot of the population struggling to make ends meet.

34 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I have an account for that but thankfully never on it, 

Yep another here who has never had a tv licence. They are completely powerless when it comes to enforcing it which makes me wonder why folk still pay. I reckon within the next ten years this archaic system of funding will be a thing of the last. They could easily go down a Netflix type route and make money that way. J

Dan Walker, now he's a prick. He's on everyfeckingthing and now after watching 'Would I lie to you' he stopped Pele signing a bag he received for free, when Pele was half way through signing it. 

Prick! 

Edited by ri Alban

11 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yep another here who has never had a tv licence. They are completely powerless when it comes to enforcing it which makes me wonder why folk still pay. I reckon within the next ten years this archaic system of funding will be a thing of the last. They could easily go down a Netflix type route and make money that way. J

Here's a dafty that's had a TV licence ever since I moved out from my Mum and Dads.

I'm a bit worried that if I cancel it or just stopped paying it I'll end up in bother.

I'd stop paying it tonight if I thought I'd get away with it. There is a way I've seen on line ti stop it, has anyone else seen that?

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Here's a dafty that's had a TV licence ever since I moved out from my Mum and Dads.

I'm a bit worried that if I cancel it or just stopped paying it I'll end up in bother.

I'd stop paying it tonight if I thought I'd get away with it. There is a way I've seen on line ti stop it, has anyone else seen that?

My Mrs is a worrier and whilst she's not thick enough to believe in TV detector vans and understands that a magic TV inspector man would have to see a TV on to take any action there's no question of us paying the fee. 

I think it's a bag of shite myself but I'm not going be worrying about the £12pm or so that comes out the bank account.

Edited by IronJambo

Just cancel the TV Licence and tell them your TV is only used for gaming and Netflix.

I haven't paid for one for years.

They just send a form asking you to confirm you don't watch live TV.  You just reply and say you don't.   I've never had them query it in my past 3 addresses.

Gone are the days when they say they can detect a TV on in the house, and even if they could - you could be watching Netflix or playing the Xbox.  Plus they cannot come into your house without a warrant.  And they won't get one.  Ever!

Edited by Lovecraft

4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

My Mrs is a worrier and whilst she's not thick enough to believe in TV detector vans and understands that a magic TV inspector man would have to see a TV on to take any action there's no question of us paying the fee. 

I think it's a bag of shite myself but I'm not going be worrying about the £12pm or so that comes out the bank account.

Same here, I'd tell them to bolt but she who must be obeyed, must be obeyed.

A cut price wheeze which some people do to good effect is to hunt down ancient black and white telly on eBay and buy a black and white license, still available and only £53. They then watch live streaming services in colour on their tablets and laptops. No law broken as far as I know and peace of mind :D

I don't do it myself btw 😉

7 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The service BritBox is ran by the BBC and ITV I'm sure, so they make money off that at least.

Weakened Offender
11 hours ago, jonesy said:

The surgical removal of the sense of humour for anything that doesn't involve a cat, dog, or Trump meme inflicted on everyone who signs up for social media is one of the great unreported tragedies of our times. 

Twitler-Trump-meme.jpg

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

I pay the licence fee and am happy to. A fraction of what other tv providers cost - and no adverts.

TBH I’d pay it for BBC radio output alone.

I also pay quite happily. People seem obsessed with getting something for nothing, whether it’s not paying a licence or dodgy streaming devices so you don’t pay for Sky or whatever. What the hell do people think pays for all this content to get made? 

wentworth jambo
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I also pay quite happily. People seem obsessed with getting something for nothing, whether it’s not paying a licence or dodgy streaming devices so you don’t pay for Sky or whatever. What the hell do people think pays for all this content to get made? 

TV licence is one thing @Tazio and I am happy to pay that but in terms of Sky, the vast majority of their "cost of content" is straight to the EPL and that is what I object to, why I got rid of Sky years ago and will never pay them another penny

21 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Just cancel the TV Licence and tell them your TV is only used for gaming and Netflix.

I haven't paid for one for years.

They just send a form asking you to confirm you don't watch live TV.  You just reply and say you don't.   I've never had them query it in my past 3 addresses.

Gone are the days when they say they can detect a TV on in the house, and even if they could - you could be watching Netflix or playing the Xbox.  Plus they cannot come into your house without a warrant.  And they won't get one.  Ever!

I did this but be careful if you have a Sky TV subscription....they grass you in. I cancelled mine and then cancelled the TV licence as above.

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

The TV licence It is a disgrace in principle IMO. The increase to folk paying the licence to age 75 an even bigger disgrace. 

The BBC is essentially a state run British government media outlet which in its self is a controversial. Because it is the government the fee is essentially a tax and non payment of watching live telly is a crime with a potential £1000 fine and jail time. Now ask yourself..is watching the telly really worth that level of punishment considering peados and other serious offenders get less? 

The threatening letters which is allowed to go on is harassment. Threatening to send goons to your door to question you on your media habits..does this sound ok to you? You tell them you don’t watch TV at your own peril because all they want is your personal details and proof you live at that address. 

In itself the BBC funding method breaches every unfair competition regulation and restraint on trade that you could imagine. They get away it because they are state media. They are rank rotten and if they tried to invent this type of funding method now they wouldn’t get away with it. 

Let not even get into the fact Gary Lineker gets paid more to host BBC programmes than the whole of Scottish football gets combined. 

Oh aii, they also like to harbour peados such as Jimmy savile and hide his vile acts from the public. 

In short the BBC and the licence system is a disgrace. About time they went private, made the BBC a subscription based model and funded it through advertising. 

34 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The TV licence It is a disgrace in principle IMO. The increase to folk paying the licence to age 75 an even bigger disgrace. 

The BBC is essentially a state run British government media outlet which in its self is a controversial. Because it is the government the fee is essentially a tax and non payment of watching live telly is a crime with a potential £1000 fine and jail time. Now ask yourself..is watching the telly really worth that level of punishment considering peados and other serious offenders get less? 

The threatening letters which is allowed to go on is harassment. Threatening to send goons to your door to question you on your media habits..does this sound ok to you? You tell them you don’t watch TV at your own peril because all they want is your personal details and proof you live at that address. 

In itself the BBC funding method breaches every unfair competition regulation and restraint on trade that you could imagine. They get away it because they are state media. They are rank rotten and if they tried to invent this type of funding method now they wouldn’t get away with it. 

Let not even get into the fact Gary Lineker gets paid more to host BBC programmes than the whole of Scottish football gets combined. 

Oh aii, they also like to harbour peados such as Jimmy savile and hide his vile acts from the public. 

In short the BBC and the licence system is a disgrace. About time they went private, made the BBC a subscription based model and funded it through advertising. 

Yeah.  Spot on.

My argument has always been that the BBC are in their position because of money from the public, which they obviously are... but, the British people have essentially paid for the BBC to become one of the biggest and most well know brands in the world.

Also, don't forget that the BBC make a shit ton of money selling all their shows to everyone outside the UK.  People forget that.  Shows, that again, the British people have paid to be made.  And forced to have paid at that.  Last year they made over £1.5 Billion selling content abroad.

Imagine Netflix is "allowed" by the American Government to charge everyone a monthly fee to make it's programmes.  It is then allowed to charge anyone else in the world the same fee, but none of that money goes back to the people that helped fund the "Company" grow.  The British people have essentially been buying shares in a huge corporation but never getting anything back and shares are worthless.

My analogy has always been imagine someone turning up at your door saying they want £15 a month for cleaning your car and your house windows, when nobody asked them to do it.  It is also illegal for you not to pay them.

It's a joke of a system.  It's legalised extortion.

Edited by Lovecraft

23 hours ago, FWJ said:

I pay the licence fee and am happy to. A fraction of what other tv providers cost - and no adverts.

TBH I’d pay it for BBC radio output alone.

And this is my biggest issue about the TV Licence. Radio stations have got nothing whatsoever to do with having or watching TV. The TV Licence shouldn't be funding radio at the telly addicts expense. Before you say theres a radio licence, I know there is but it's only applicable to businesses and even then it's ignored and not chased up or "enforced" like the TV Licence.

Edited by IronJambo

7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

And this is my biggest issue about the TV Licence. Radio stations have got nothing whatsoever to do with having or watching TV. The TV Licence shouldn't be funding radio at the telly addicts expense. Before you say theres a radio licence, I know there is but it's only applicable to businesses and even then it's ignored and not chased up or "enforced" like the TV Licence.

The licence for playing music on business premises is actually governed by the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and not the BBC. And it makes sure the money goes to the recording artists. And it’s actually pretty rigorously enforced which is why you see a PRS sticker in a lot of bars and cafes as spot checks are quite common. They also enforce the use of recorded music in live performances. 

Just now, Tazio said:

The licence for playing music on business premises is actually governed by the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and not the BBC. And it makes sure the money goes to the recording artists. And it’s actually pretty rigorously enforced which is why you see a PRS sticker in a lot of bars and cafes as spot checks are quite common. They also enforce the use of recorded music in live performances. 

Fair play. Plenty radios in offices and grease vans where the fee isn't paid i think though.

It still doesn't justify the TV owner being forced to pay for BBC radio which was my main point to be honest. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Not trying to be wide, but you could just not pay it and not watch it.

I recently opted back into paying my licence as I've started watching MotD. Also some of the documentaries are useful for the kids' homeschooling. 

Prior to that, hadn't had a TV licence for the five years we'd been back in the UK, and never had a problem declaring that we didn't watch TV (which we didn't).

Not taking you as wide at all.  It's actually exactly what I do.

I don't watch the BBC at all.  Or pretty much any TV tbh.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Fair play. Plenty radios in offices and grease vans where the fee isn't paid i think though.

It still doesn't justify the TV owner being forced to pay for BBC radio which was my main point to be honest. 

Aren't those licenses extortionate?

Kinda like pub Sky subscriptions.

22 hours ago, Tazio said:

I honestly don't really watch broadcast TV anymore. When I had my Virgin packages though previously, I used to begrudge the fact that BBC channels came with that, yet I still had to pay them seperately by rights. Seems like there's lots who don't pay the licence these days but the BBC still seem to do alright if you ask me.

Besides, in an age where the TV licence fees are probably more expensive than ever, BBC churns out worse content than possibly ever. Watched some good BBC dramas like Line of Duty but couldn't tell you the last time they had anything good in the way of comedy. Btw, I have BritBox which is £5.99 a month, and a lot of their content ends up on Netflix, which I assume they get squared up for. Also, they no doubt make money from product placement in their shows among other things.

I'm sure there was a time when the licence fee seemed perhaps a small, noble gesture in return for ad-free television, but in this day and age, I don't doubt for a second that the BBC don't get a lot of funding from other places. The TV licence is a pile of outdated shite that needs scrapped.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

I honestly don't really watch broadcast TV anymore. When I had my Virgin packages though previously, I used to begrudge the fact that BBC channels came with that, yet I still had to pay them seperately by rights. Seems like there's lots who don't pay the licence these days but the BBC still seem to do alright if you ask me.

Besides, in an age where the TV licence fees are probably more expensive than ever, BBC churns out worse content than possibly ever. Watched some good BBC dramas like Line of Duty but couldn't tell you the last time they had anything good in the way of comedy. Btw, I have BritBox which is £5.99 a month, and a lot of their content ends up on Netflix, which I assume they get squared up for. Also, they no doubt make money from product placement in their shows among other things.

I'm sure there was a time when the licence fee seemed perhaps a small, noble gesture in return for ad-free television, but in this day and age, I don't doubt for a second that the BBC don't get a lot of funding from other places. The TV licence is a pile of outdated shite that needs scrapped.

Sorry Locky, I don’t want to sound like an a**e here but that’s a load of ifs, buts and maybes there.

I like the BBC (apart from BBC “Scotland” which is a pile of Weegie pish).  They don’t have to make a profit for shareholders so they can trial different stuff. 

There’s only a certain amount of TV advertising cash that companies will be willing to spend. If the BBC had to fight for it with ITV  and SKY then the race to the bottom would be fast and furious.

7 hours ago, FWJ said:

Sorry Locky, I don’t want to sound like an a**e here but that’s a load of ifs, buts and maybes there.

I like the BBC (apart from BBC “Scotland” which is a pile of Weegie pish).  They don’t have to make a profit for shareholders so they can trial different stuff. 

There’s only a certain amount of TV advertising cash that companies will be willing to spend. If the BBC had to fight for it with ITV  and SKY then the race to the bottom would be fast and furious.

Fair enough mate, just my opinions. I just find the TV licence model a somewhat dated concept, especially when, unless you have only Freeview, you need to pay to watch TV anyway. I don't think they do enough to necessarily advertise why you should pay the licence fee, or what good comes from it. If they did, maybe it would encourage others, like myself to pay it. But if the only argument is to fund the BBC, then quite frankly, I'm happy not to pay.

15 minutes ago, Locky said:

Fair enough mate, just my opinions. I just find the TV licence model a somewhat dated concept, especially when, unless you have only Freeview, you need to pay to watch TV anyway. I don't think they do enough to necessarily advertise why you should pay the licence fee, or what good comes from it. If they did, maybe it would encourage others, like myself to pay it. But if the only argument is to fund the BBC, then quite frankly, I'm happy not to pay.

I still say if you are paying for a virgin package then you are paying twice for BBC, the ammount of adverts on tv now is beyond a joke, the companies must pay for their adverts, so virgin should be reducing their costs , aye thats going to happen.

wentworth jambo
27 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I still say if you are paying for a virgin package then you are paying twice for BBC, the ammount of adverts on tv now is beyond a joke, the companies must pay for their adverts, so virgin should be reducing their costs , aye thats going to happen.

Talking of adverts, was on YouTube for the first time in a while the other day - that's gone mental with adverts !! a 6 min video had 2 adverts at the start, and then a further 2 during the video....😲

Just now, wentworth jambo said:

Talking of adverts, was on YouTube for the first time in a while the other day - that's gone mental with adverts !! a 6 min video had 2 adverts at the start, and then a further 2 during the video....😲

Im always on You tube these days, narrowboat videos , and you are right, at least you have the option to skip the adverts after 5 seconds.

13 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Virgin and Sky aren't paying for it to reach you though so you're only paying once for it (to the BBC). 

12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Im always on You tube these days, narrowboat videos , and you are right, at least you have the option to skip the adverts after 5 seconds.

No adverts if you pay their subscription either.

The TV Licence is outstanding value. I genuinely find arguments against totally bizarre.

The broad range of what it funds is fantastic. TV (News, Regional,  Niche stuff on BBC4 , CBeebies, Red Button and Glastonbury coverage etc.) Radio (national and local), Website, iPlayer.

I'd pay the licence fee alone for 6Music and Cbeebies.

Not having adverts is great and the kind of stuff that you get on Radio you just wouldn't get on commercial radio that has to appeal to the mass market and mainstream. Without BBC Radio,  I doubt some bands would get any decent exposure.

The alternatives?

Commercial Radio like Capital,  Radio Forth - Shite playlists of 12 songs.

TV - ITV is generally crap. Netflix is great but not much cheaper than the licence fee and the BBC does so much more.

7 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The TV Licence is outstanding value. I genuinely find arguments against totally bizarre.

The broad range of what it funds is fantastic. TV (News, Regional,  Niche stuff on BBC4 , CBeebies, Red Button and Glastonbury coverage etc.) Radio (national and local), Website, iPlayer.

I'd pay the licence fee alone for 6Music and Cbeebies.

Not having adverts is great and the kind of stuff that you get on Radio you just wouldn't get on commercial radio that has to appeal to the mass market and mainstream. Without BBC Radio,  I doubt some bands would get any decent exposure.

The alternatives?

Commercial Radio like Capital,  Radio Forth - Shite playlists of 12 songs.

TV - ITV is generally crap. Netflix is great but not much cheaper than the licence fee and the BBC does so much more.

All of that may or may not be true but it doesn't justify a forced subscription. The value of it doesn't come into it. A TV viewer shouldn't be funding radio either.

1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

All of that may or may not be true but it doesn't justify a forced subscription. The value of it doesn't come into it. A TV viewer shouldn't be funding radio either.

We're never going to agree on this.

Just call it a TV and Radio Licence if need be. Without the BBC, the cultural options available to us would be diminished hugely in my opinion. If it's a cultural tax/forced subscription, then I'm happy to pay it.

9 minutes ago, Costanza said:

We're never going to agree on this.

Just call it a TV and Radio Licence if need be. Without the BBC, the cultural options available to us would be diminished hugely in my opinion. If it's a cultural tax/forced subscription, then I'm happy to pay it.

It's not a TV and Radio licence. It's a TV licence. 

It's not a tax as the money doesn't go to the state. If it was a tax I could accept it more readily. 

It's about choice and principles, nothing more. 

I'm struggling to see how anyone thinks it's ok to force a BBC subscription to everyone that has a TV. It's quite a racket and it has no place in a democracy. 

13 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's not a tax as the money doesn't go to the state. If it was a tax I could accept it more readily. 

I'm struggling to see how anyone thinks it's ok to force a BBC subscription to everyone that has a TV. It's quite a racket and it has no place in a democracy. 

It's technically a hypothecated tax isn't it?

The licence fee was also originally a radio licence so saying it shouldn't include radio is splitting hairs in my view.

If your issue is that it is a forced subscription and you would rather it was funded out of general taxation, then I'm fine with that. I just think the country would substantially poorer without a public funded broadcaster like the BBC.

26 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Totally agree : I'm very happy for the BBC to become a subscription service as I'm being held hostage in having to pay for a licence even thought I almost never watch the BBC. 

I'm sick of programmes like Question Time (tonight's offering - the first I've watched in a couple of years simply because there was a Scottish audience- was a total car crash).

The BBC pandering to right wing nutters like UKIP/Brexit Party/ERG/TPA/Guido/Andrew Neil has been disgraceful in its lack of balance. 

7 hours ago, Costanza said:

It's technically a hypothecated tax isn't it?

The licence fee was also originally a radio licence so saying it shouldn't include radio is splitting hairs in my view.

If your issue is that it is a forced subscription and you would rather it was funded out of general taxation, then I'm fine with that. I just think the country would substantially poorer without a public funded broadcaster like the BBC.

I view it as a stealth tax myself but I can't see how it can be recognised properly as tax when the BBC aren't part of the government and we don't pay it to the government. 

Indeed, it was once a radio licence and then TV's were added to it. The radio part was removed a long time ago and it's existed solely as a TV licence for more than my lifetime. For there to be no radio licence yet fund it from the TV licence is like telling people with a cat that they don't need a licence whilst telling those with a dog that they need a Cat and Dog licence. 

Have a radio? Yeah, have that for free. Have a TV but no radio? Yeah, you can pay for TV AND radio. How does that make sense?

I agree we need the BBC in some form. I'm not sure it needs to exist as it is though and it certainly needs to be funded in a different way.