Most obscure place visited in the WORLD.

Angry Haggis

highlandjambo3
21 hours ago, Stokesy said:

You haven't visited India if you haven't been rediculously ill from the food and nearly shit yourself on at least five occasions.

I’ve visited India a few times.....never had any stomach issues at all.  But then again, I’ve never eaten in any of their “top” tourist type restaurants/hotels etc.....I go and eat at the local Indian small food vendors where the Indians eat....seems to work.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• highlandjambo3

• Sharpie

• NANOJAMBO

I was in the Falklands (absolute shit hole full of flag waving pr1cks) and I hadn't been able to get off camp due to the weather. Eventually I got a chance to go into P Stanley for a few bevvies and ended up in a dump of a boozer. The owner went on and on about the Argies ,"did I tell you how much we hate the Argies ?" England & Thatcher were mentioned non-stop and then he said "8 April is when she died , we call it Margaret  Thatcher Day !", very proudly.  Then he says,   finally realising I was Scottish " but you probably don't celebrate that !". I said "that''s the only ****ing thing you've got right since I walked in here". 

A desolate godforsaken dump. 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

HK is probably one of my favourite places on the planet. The little islands are wonderful places, and, back in the hustle and bustle of the main parts, you can find just about anything any human being has ever desired, feared or both.

Nice way of expressing it, jonesy. :thumb:

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

HK is probably one of my favourite places on the planet. The little islands are wonderful places, and, back in the hustle and bustle of the main parts, you can find just about anything any human being has ever desired, feared or both.

Top summary. :jjyay:

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was in the Falklands (absolute shit hole full of flag waving pr1cks) and I hadn't been able to get off camp due to the weather. Eventually I got a chance to go into P Stanley for a few bevvies and ended up in a dump of a boozer. The owner went on and on about the Argies ,"did I tell you how much we hate the Argies ?" England & Thatcher were mentioned non-stop and then he said "8 April is when she died , we call it Margaret  Thatcher Day !", very proudly.  Then he says,   finally realising I was Scottish " but you probably don't celebrate that !". I said "that''s the only ****ing thing you've got right since I walked in here". 

A desolate godforsaken dump. 

I spent 6 months on Mt Kent which was OK and there happened to be another Jambo in the 20 odd folk who were there. I watched us win the cup in 98 in that shite boozer in Stanley. Assuming there was only one, I can't remember any others.

On 08/02/2021 at 21:01, Jeff said:

Love watching YouTubers who go to mad places.

I can't be the only subscriber to bald & bankrupt here?

Absolutely love his videos. Been subscribed for just over a year now. All his content is good, but I particularly love the Soviet ones, especially as he converses with a lot of the people. Always had a wee bit of a fascination with the old Soviet states, and through him, I've learnt so much. Such a shame when you see some of the wee villages in Belarus and the likes that have just been deserted, and even more incredible to find some people still live there on their own.

He's got another channel called Daily Bald which is just like deleted scenes essentially. He uploaded a video this afternoon in Kiev so I expect some more Ukrainian content in the coming days.

Very interesting guy and he definitely has an intriguing past. Many have speculated online about who he really is. Some stories seem more plausible than others, although some of the one's that seem to be true sadly paint him in quite a bad light.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

I spent 6 months on Mt Kent which was OK and there happened to be another Jambo in the 20 odd folk who were there. I watched us win the cup in 98 in that shite boozer in Stanley. Assuming there was only one, I can't remember any others.

You were probably in The Globe

Others are The Victory Bar, Deano's, Rose.

You could get a drink in the Upland Goose Hotel and a decent scran in The Brasserie

Loads of unofficial bars up in MPA at one time but most of them got closed down as was the case when I was last there in 2016.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

58 minutes ago, Locky said:

Absolutely love his videos. Been subscribed for just over a year now. All his content is good, but I particularly love the Soviet ones, especially as he converses with a lot of the people. Always had a wee bit of a fascination with the old Soviet states, and through him, I've learnt so much. Such a shame when you see some of the wee villages in Belarus and the likes that have just been deserted, and even more incredible to find some people still live there on their own.

He's got another channel called Daily Bald which is just like deleted scenes essentially. He uploaded a video this afternoon in Kiev so I expect some more Ukrainian content in the coming days.

Very interesting guy and he definitely has an intriguing past. Many have speculated online about who he really is. Some stories seem more plausible than others, although some of the one's that seem to be true sadly paint him in quite a bad light.

His videos in Belarus just go to show you how bad an alcohol problem they have.

Did you see the one where he set a barbeque up in some random village and everyone just came out for the vodka?

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

His videos in Belarus just go to show you how bad an alcohol problem they have.

Did you see the one where he set a barbeque up in some random village and everyone just came out for the vodka?

Aye he was trying to offer the old boys a bit of scran and they just weren't interested. :lol: 

The wee old boy in Belarus too, Kolka or something his name was. Barely looked like he could survive a cold winter but he was very fond of a vodka. I suppose that's how they survive the winters.

25 minutes ago, Locky said:

Aye he was trying to offer the old boys a bit of scran and they just weren't interested. :lol: 

The wee old boy in Belarus too, Kolka or something his name was. Barely looked like he could survive a cold winter but he was very fond of a vodka. I suppose that's how they survive the winters.

Probably staged but it was class when he found him again in some randoms house

Doctor FinnBarr

Not too obscure as its in Holland but certainly on the day I visited 15/16 years ago it was quiet, https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/en/, cracking 2nd world war 2 museum that has........far too much to actually list here, the Dutch don't promote this place enough and thats  what makes it obscure. Dutch village set up under German occupation, you hear a Panzer starting and can smell the diesel as bullets ping by you, you'll duck honestly.

I posted this before on the Mossmorran thread, but seems a good place to bring it back. It is technically a 'place' and it is very much 'obscure' - only a miniscule percentage of the population will ever get to take a picture like this one that I did, so I think it counts:

20171204-112604.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the inside of a membrane-type LNG carrier cargo tank. This particular example holds about 45,000 m³ of LNG at -160°C, or roughly 18 Olympic-sized swimming pools. For scale, those are full-sized adults...

I made the joke that all we would need are a couple of lasers, a few disco biscuits and some pounding techno to have a real good time. Apparently this has been considered before. :rofl:

highlandjambo3

Whilst in Sierra Leone (again) there were a Russian contingent of hind attack helicopters (painted white as they were part of the UN peacekeeping force).  Anyway, myself and a friend were due to fly home for a break but, our flight was delayed 24hrs so, of course we pitched up in one of their decent hotels for a booze up. 

We met one of the aircraft cabin crew from the flight we were due to take the next morning, a guy, who had said the aircraft was having a part fitted overnight hence the delay, anyway he introduced us to a group of Russians and we all got pissed up.  One of the Russians was a colonel and in charge of the hind squadron based at Lungi airport and, said we could meet him the next morning at their aircraft park.  So we did, I asked if I could take some pictures and he was fine with it, he said I could go into the rear cockpit pod which was the pilots station, which I did and took a few snaps.

A very surreal moment as my mind casted back to the start of my army career during the Cold War, these beasts were feared and very closely guarded.  I recall aircraft recognition lessons and, seeing a black and white picture of one in flight at about a kilometre away was the best picture we had at the time.  Here I was inside one and snapping away, what a beast (for its time).  We were offered the chance to go on a patrol/flight later that day but, our homeward flight was leaving before this so, it didn’t happen......and, alas, the pictures I took have long since disappeared into the digital stratosphere.

A2AA1422-512F-43CE-A2C9-E52B3C7C40F7.jpeg

18 hours ago, Locky said:

Only recently discovered him 

On one hand I love it, he kind of does an extreme version of what I like to do when traveling (go round local places and off beaten track etc)

But on the other hand there is something smarmy and immediately dislikeable about him. I read a post that went to quite an effort to try corroborate information on who he was. (Probable sex tourist and 'pick up artist', which will be viewed in different lights.) Doesn't explain his business background though or how he's made money while traveling/living abroad.

Was there any other theories I'd missed? Was also pointed out he goes places with no extradition agreements with the UK, but that could be wholly coincidental.

I'm going to keep watching him anyway as some of the places and locals are pretty interesting.

Edit: also wears his covid facemask with his nose sticking out. Grinds my gears that! 

Edited by Alan_R

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Only recently discovered him 

On one hand I love it, he kind of does an extreme version of what I like to do when traveling (go round local places and off beaten track etc)

But on the other hand there is something smarmy and immediately dislikeable about him. I read a post that went to quite an effort to try corroborate information on who he was. (Probable sex tourist and 'pick up artist', which will be viewed in different lights.) Doesn't explain his business background though or how he's made money while traveling/living abroad.

Was there any other theories I'd missed? Was also pointed out he goes places with no extradition agreements with the UK, but that could be wholly coincidental.

I'm going to keep watching him anyway as some of the places and locals are pretty interesting.

Edit: also wears his covid facemask with his nose sticking out. Grinds my gears that! 

If you google his real name, it brings up a news article from an English newspaper where he is named as a suspect in a rape case. It was thrown out of court in the end, but the rape accusation coupled with some of his apparent stories as a pick up artist, mean he's probably not the great guy we all see. The sex tourist stuff came from forums which a poster (who sounds unmistakably like Bald) went into pretty grotesque depth about his 'tactics'. I really enjoy watching him and hoped he was as good a guy as came across, but seems like he's got a bit of a past. God knows what he gets upto when the cameras are off.

On 08/02/2021 at 16:44, I P Knightley said:

I got my hand in Sheila McGuire's pants in 5th year.

See what I mean?  :biggrin:

On 08/02/2021 at 23:16, Seymour M Hersh said:

I have never been too far off the beaten track (as they say) tourism wise. However, a couple of places that perhaps no other kickbackers have visited are The Blowing Rock just outside the small town of Blowing Rock, North Carolina.  

usa-north-carolina-the-blowing-rock.jpg

And the Tequila Museum, Rosarito Beach, Mexico. Really just a very small bar but dedicated to Tequila that the owner called a museum. 

I stayed with friends in Blowing Rock in 2019 but didn't actually go to the rock. Highlight of my trip was a 2 day hike along part of the Appalachian trail with a camp beside the red barn at overmountain. The most surreal bit was hanging our food bag up a tree well away from the camp so that the bears wouldn't get it.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

My mrs is from near den Bosch. Overloon looks to be an hours drive.  I’ve been going there for 25 years and have never heard of this place, nor has anyone ever mentioned it. 

I’ll definitely go next time we’re over so thanks for posting this. 

I'd allow the best part of a day to do it properly mate, also in Overloon there's a zoo where the animals are not caged (nothing dangerous obviously). we were lucky enough to have 2 Roe stags rutting about 20 feet from us, those antlers canny half make a noise.

Governor Tarkin
On 11/02/2021 at 11:16, jonesy said:

Went veggie for the month I was there. Not a single stomach problem.

I did the same in Pakistan, except for stuff we cooked ourselves at my brother's house.

The only place I've had dodgy guts was Jordan, and that was probably from the ice in the mojitos and white russians.

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Loved the bear-proofing when I was hiking in the States.

Got all the warnings from the ranger and the guide. Myself and the Londoner that was also on the trip gave it all a big shrug. That was until the second night when, having decided to camp outside under the stars, we were awoken by the big hairy guide because it was raining. The guy had so much hair on his face that he looked like a bear. Fair shat myself when he was leaning over us barking to wake us up to get in the tent.

🤣🤣🤣

On 12/02/2021 at 01:47, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Not too obscure as its in Holland but certainly on the day I visited 15/16 years ago it was quiet, https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/en/, cracking 2nd world war 2 museum that has........far too much to actually list here, the Dutch don't promote this place enough and thats  what makes it obscure. Dutch village set up under German occupation, you hear a Panzer starting and can smell the diesel as bullets ping by you, you'll duck honestly.

Interesting : I've never heard about it . I have been to the underground quarry/caves in Valkenburg where US troops sheltered during the Ardennes offensive and that is quite something : perfectly preserved silhouettes with personal details painted by the troops themselves. 

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Interesting : I've never heard about it . I have been to the underground quarry/caves in Valkenburg where US troops sheltered during the Ardennes offensive and that is quite something : perfectly preserved silhouettes with personal details painted by the troops themselves. 

Got a bit more time tonight so I'll try and explain a wee bit more to you and Barney. Half the museum was free, pill boxes that had the names of Dutch soldiers who died manning them including ages and home towns, but the Marshall muesum was something else, it cost money to get in but well worth it

On 10/02/2021 at 15:04, Greenbank2 said:

Almaty in Kazakhstan. Other-worldly doesn't do it justice.

I loved Almaty. Very cool place. Visually amazing with modern office blocks and the mountains in the background. Have been to Nur-Sultan (Astana) a couple of times. Bizarre place. If they make another Bladerunner film set on the moon, they could film it there.

My job has taken me to various places I would never otherwise go. Not sure about most obscure, but Puerto la Cruz in Venezuela sticks out as a “highlight”. An exceptionally hot, exceptionally dangerous shit hole.