• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• JWL

• 132goals1958

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Stokes keeping England in it. He goes they all go. 

BBC reports

8.08- India in retreat due to Stokes

8.09 - Stokes gone

121 - 5

willie wallace

Just heard the commentators talking about the influence the DRS has had on the batting techniques.

One of them said it was the biggest change ever in cricket..

Never thought about it that way before.

As I am typing Pope is out to a delivery  that neither of the commentators have seen before.

Inside edge off the back foot and caught.

This is what annoys me about the England cricket team, especially with Woakes getting out there as an example.

3 weeks ago being lauded as having the potential to be one of the great wicket keeper batsman .

Since then not that good.

England needs the longevity of superiority over years and years such as the Windows and Aussies have had in my lifetime to claim any form of greatness.

Are they even in the top 3 rankings in a 9 nation sport?

And with the way TV money is focused, it's only meant to be a 3 nation dominated sport anyway.

Edited by DETTY29

Why are the English top order so quite. You wouldn't see Freddie, KP, Cookie or Strauss putting up with the India chirping attack.  They'd be awful noisy. 

Edited by ri Alban

willie wallace
29 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

This Test may amaze me and go on until Saturday.....

Well done Jimmy Anderson. Beautiful delivery.

Game on ? 

He puts do much effort into every delivery.Not one bad ball so far..

1 hour ago, willie wallace said:

Just heard the commentators talking about the influence the DRS has had on the batting techniques.

As I am typing Pope is out to a delivery  that neither of the commentators have seen before.

On the subject of DRS. I think there is a case for all batting/bowling records to have a pre and post DRS caveat attached to them. 

I will also say that if DRS had been around in 2005, there is no way England are winning that series.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Foakes is the best gloveman in world cricket, and is a normally a good player of spin but the team are gone mentally. Out to balls not turning is schoolboy stuff.

This pitch is not that difficult and India will score big. 

Not a road but not a bunsen either. You never know until both teams have batted but 350 looks about par here.

31 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

He puts do much effort into every delivery. Not one bad ball so far..

You could say that...

Bowler Overs Maidens Runs Wickets Econ
Anderson 5.0 5 0 1 0.00

:vrwow:

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Foakes is the best gloveman in world cricket, and is a normally a good player of spin but the team are gone mentally. Out to balls not turning is schoolboy stuff.

This pitch is not that difficult and India will score big. 

👍

And his batting ave is still a very decent 36, but still a bit to go for greatness.

Footballfirst

Not India v England, but some unusual stats from yesterday's T20 between the West Indies and Sri Lanka.

The headliner was Kieron Pollard's 6 x 6s in an over off Dananjaya.  He only scored 38 but with a strike rate of 345.

However Dananjaya also got a hat-trick earlier in the innings with the wickets of Lewis, Gayle and Pooran.

And one poor Sri Lankan bowler, Pradeep, ended up with an economy rate of 36.  He did however only bowl the one ball in the innings. That was hit for six to end the match. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Not India v England, but some unusual stats from yesterday's T20 between the West Indies and Sri Lanka.

The headliner was Kieron Pollard's 6 x 6s in an over off Dananjaya.  He only scored 38 but with a strike rate of 345.

However Dananjaya also got a hat-trick earlier in the innings with the wickets of Lewis, Gayle and Pooran.

And one poor Sri Lankan bowler, Pradeep, ended up with an economy rate of 36.  He did however only bowl the one ball in the innings. That was hit for six to end the match. 

I wonder what the bookies think?

On 04/03/2021 at 09:45, willie wallace said:

The Indian ex batsman Gambir they had on called it. 

Play for the straight ball.

46 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

See what you get with a decent pitch.

Great day's cricket. 

It was and I expect India to have a big bash tomorrow morning. England keep the lead under 100 and they still have a chance but if it starts creeping up and over three figures, then it's a tough ask.

Peakybunnet
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Another collapse. Brutal stuff from England. 

Congratulations to the mighty India. 

Batting has been their issue. Its almost like they didn't expect to come up against really good spin bowling in India. Can't even blame the pitch. 

The openers are having a mare and if Root and Stokes don't do something brilliant they are goosed. 

1 minute ago, Peakybunnet said:

Batting has been their issue. Its almost like they didn't expect to come up against really good spin bowling in India. Can't even blame the pitch. 

The openers are having a mare and if Root and Stokes don't do something brilliant they are goosed. 

The selection of bowlers was pathetic in this test. They needed broad in there as well. 

55 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Spon on, ri.

That was a pretty good Test strip and I love watching the Indian spinners. 

England's selection was wrong and Bess had a terrible time; full tosses and boundary balls each over was murder and he will take a long time to get over this as he has been handled badly re the Moin being asked to stay palaver. That was so he would be dropped then he us expected to come in and bowl India out. 

Rishahb Pant is a yappy wee shit but a real talent and his keeping has improved.

India are the best in the world but how will they get on this summer over here will be interesting as conditions will suit the swingers. 

There will be no Bunsen's in England this summers. It will be greentops. 

Is that down to Root? 

I just read a thread on Facebook full of England fans moaning about the wickets and saying India cheated with the way they were prepared. Don’t they realise that’s why touring cricket is difficult? The big challenge has always been how well a team adapts to another countries conditions, it’s easy to play on wickets you’ve played all your life, the greats can play anywhere. 

On 06/03/2021 at 14:45, jonnothejambo said:

Partly. Chris Silverwood too. All part of their rotation policy given the heavy schedule this year.

Could you please clear your inbox?

Thanks 👍

willie wallace

Over 60000 fans at the first 2 T20 games but no fans at the next one due to a spike in cases in the area.

May be a bit early to link to those games as they were on Friday and yesterday but it is the same stadium where the final 2 test matches were played and there were a few thousand at each of

those games.

Hopefully it is just a precautionary move and not too serious.

44 minutes ago, Tazio said:

England scudded by 66 runs in today’s one dayer.

Epitomised the word 'collapse'. 135 for 1 they were at one point and cruising. ended up 251 all out.

6 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

India should get close to 400 here. 

They were on track.

2 quick wickets advantage England. 

Looking at the wickets again, one very curious event of the series is Virut Kohli can't play Moeen Ali. 

Last time umpire even had to show him the replay to convince him he was out. Bamboozled again today. 

Peakybunnet

Moeen played pretty well. Especially when you see what Rashid went for. 

Edited by Peakybunnet

First two matches contrasted the batting styles. India starting steadily, keep wickets in hand and going for a last 10-15 over crescendo. England playing it like a T20 from the start and **** the consequences. Both styles paid off with a win a piece. Looked like India were trying to match England's approach and came undone very much like England do and kind of peter out. Expect England to stick to Plan A, we won't be short of entertainment eeither way

47 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Curran is having a great innings 

Not great enough in the end. Excellent game though, thought Sam was going to get England over the line there. India's fielding at times:jj_facepalm:

It’s odd having an exciting series between England and India. When I was at school they were always considered the boring methodical teams. Cricket for purists and the Windies and Australia were the teams for excitement. 

Peakybunnet
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s odd having an exciting series between England and India. When I was at school they were always considered the boring methodical teams. Cricket for purists and the Windies and Australia were the teams for excitement. 

Probably because both of them had superfast bowlers hurtling down the wicket. Thompson and Lilley, Malcom Marshall, Andy Roberts, Joel Garner and Andy Roberts. 

15 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

Probably because both of them had superfast bowlers hurtling down the wicket. Thompson and Lilley, Malcom Marshall, Andy Roberts, Joel Garner and Andy Roberts. 

India turned their nose up at 1 day cricket when it was first introduced. In the inaugural World Cup in 1975 Sunil Gavaskar infamously finished on 36 not out in a full 60 over match with India scoring 132/3 chasing England's world record 334/4. Like some current Hearts duds though he was undroppable and played the remaining World Cup fixtures.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/sunil-gavaskar-s-indian-world-cup-go-slow-500411

19 hours ago, Tazio said:

You must be about the same age as me as that was when I really got into cricket, plus the fact that it was cricket and rugby at school. It was Australia and Lillee and Thomson in particular so kind of 'supported' them ever since. I remember watching England and India back then as noted in your post and it was attritional to say the least, or that's the way I remember it anyway.