• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• JWL

• 132goals1958

One of the perks of working from home is I'll be watching pretty much all of this (well from about half 7 onwards). Big test for England but they seem to be going along okay at the moment.

Root chalking up his 3rd test century of 2021 and it's only the start of Feb!
Good stuff from England but it's a newish ball and Stokes will be facing first thing tomorrow, England batting line up looks to have a long tail

Not really into Test cricket at all, but this made me realise that the T20 World Cup starts in October. Scotland have qualified.

I do like the cricket. Would love to get along to The Grange for a game.

13 minutes ago, JWL said:

Wee bump for this. Great day's cricket today, looking forward to a wee early rise tomorrow to see how England cope on the already deteriorating pitch. 

It was. Watched half of it. 

India have prepared a pitch to suit their spinners. An England win would be one of the greatest ever test victories. 

A good test. 

On 08/02/2021 at 22:37, Boof said:

Slightly unusual that every Indian wicket in the 1st innings fell to a catch.

Maybe not all that unusual - there's been (I think) 68 instances in test cricket :lol: 

Footballfirst
12 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Ben Foakes is the best gloveman in world cricket. To not concede a bye on that Bunsen was testament to his ability. He also had a stumping incorrectly not given. 

The pitch is already a minefield and was a great toss to win. This test will never go five days.

A missed stumping and two lots of byes in this innings already.

He's still England's best keeper though.

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Didn't see the stumping but with the pitch a minefield it's not surprising regarding a few byes.

He is top notch and he showed up a few of the batsmen for sure.

These umpires are a joke, by the way. Basically cheating.

Aw poor England, the Celtic of the cricket World. Never defeated, always cheated. 

Yes, it was lbw, but that wicketkeeper keeps shouting out, for nothing, that's cheating anaw. 

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Morning ri. Hope you are well, mate.

:D And to your good self, jonno. 👍

I was hoping England would humble the mighty India. But they've pulled the fair pitch after they realised England are a very good side. 

Why has Jimmy Anderson been dropped, mental. 

This has still been a good test. Obviously there are questions about the pitch but India are under so much pressure to win at cricket especially at home. 

England have failings. But so does everyone. India were bowled out for 36 by Australia recently. England can take still take a lot from this game. All to play for in the series. Though depending a bit on pitches prepared and a lot on the toss. 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Didn't see the stumping but with the pitch a minefield it's not surprising regarding a few byes.

He is top notch and he showed up a few of the batsmen for sure.

These umpires are a joke, by the way. Basically cheating.

The 3rd umpire,s interpretation that Rohit attempted to play a shot on the lbw appeal was an absolute joke. With the ball pitching where it did that was the reasoning behind Root,s appeal so they effectively wasted it.Not that it matters as the game is all but over. India are well within their rights to prepare the track as they see fit but it looks a fifth day pitch on day 2.

12 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

The 3rd umpire,s interpretation that Rohit attempted to play a shot on the lbw appeal was an absolute joke. With the ball pitching where it did that was the reasoning behind Root,s appeal so they effectively wasted it.Not that it matters as the game is all but over. India are well within their rights to prepare the track as they see fit but it looks a fifth day pitch on day 2.

Seems that decision on playing a shot was made by the onfield umpire. And usually the captain would ask the umpire first before asking for a review. Should the 3rd umpire have reviewed and questioned that. But it was a clear mistake. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Seems that decision on playing a shot was made by the onfield umpire. And usually the captain would ask the umpire first before asking for a review. Should the 3rd umpire have reviewed and questioned that. But it was a clear mistake. 

I can understand Joe Root being aggrieved as the umpire must have been the only one who saw an attempted shot. 

40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Part of the rotation policy with 17 (I think) Tests to be played this year, culminating in the Ashes.

Anderson will play in the next test which is a day/night test so it should be conducive to his swing bowling.

Of course, they will probably produce another Bunsen to suit the spinners. 

A certainty. And thanks for the rotation thingy, I had no idea about that. Cheers 👍

Malinga the Swinga

Seems its okay for England to prepare green wicket suiting medium paced swing bowling but not fair for other countries to have wickets prepared for their own bowling attack. 

Sour grapes from Agnew and other pundits is hypocrisy at its height. 

Hope India trample them into the dust. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Seems its okay for England to prepare green wicket suiting medium paced swing bowling but not fair for other countries to have wickets prepared for their own bowling attack. 

India has scored 383 runs during the match for the loss of 11 wickets. That suggests the wicket is perfectly playable and balanced between bat and ball.

14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

For over a hundred years the home team have had pitches prepared to suit the home players. No change here. Plus, Kohli gets over 50 and Ashwin gets a ton. They found it okay for batting. Oh, there goes Burns.............................and Leach

Edited by JWL

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, JWL said:

For over a hundred years the home team have had pitches prepared to suit the home players. No change here. Plus, Kohli gets over 50 and Ashwin gets a ton. They found it okay for batting. Oh, there goes Burns.............................and Leach

Root should have gone as well but umpire blindness strikes. 

Hopefully all over by lunch tomorrow. 

India should prepare exact same wicket again for next two tests. 

31 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Considering the minefield of a surface, to put Leach in as a night watchman was idiotic. Not that it will make any difference I suppose.

England are mentally on thin ice here. The expected reaming will take its toll looking ahead to Ahmedabad.

Maybe the pink ball will swing more and spin less, but for sure they will produce another Bunsen.

They have a decision to make with regards to the keeper situation. Bairstow is available for the next test so does he go straight back in? Do they keep Woakes as keeper and shoehorn Bairstow in to the batting, at 4 or 5? If so who do they drop, if Burns is to miss out as he needed runs this time, who opens? Anderson will be back and will probably get the pink ball to swing under the lights. Anyway, get to watch it all this time instead of missing the first few hours.

Learn something new every day.

I wouldn't have thought Pujara or Rohit out.

Pujara got his bat down on the crease then dropped it and Rohit's foot was touching the crease.

But you need to have contact behind the line.

All these years as with bowlers feet, I thought contact with line was enough and had seen hundreds of not out run outs as bat and whitewash contact.

Unless I am missing something

Edited by DETTY29

12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Learn something new every day.

I wouldn't have thought Pujara or Rohit out.

Pujara got his bat down on the crease then dropped it and Rohit's foot was touching the crease.

But you need to have contact behind the line.

All these years as with bowlers feet, I thought contact with line was enough and had seen hundreds of not out run outs as bat and whitewash contact.

Unless I am missing something

You only need a bawhair behind the line and grounded. I would be run out every innings as I'm very easily distracted and would end up out for daydreaming. :D

7 hours ago, JWL said:

Derek Underwood was almost unplayable on a damp wicket. Think in years gone by when he was plying his trade somehow water got under the covers. The most effective bowler possibly ever when the conditions were conducive to his slow left arm spin. 

6 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Derek Underwood was almost unplayable on a damp wicket. Think in years gone by when he was plying his trade somehow water got under the covers. The most effective bowler possibly ever when the conditions were conducive to his slow left arm spin. 

It used to be that wickets were uncovered and Underwood came into his own on wet wickets. He bowled at quite a pace for a slow bowler btw

This is a famous picture of Underwood taking the final wicket in an Ashes match with the full fielding side in shot.

Derek Underwood Ashes 1968

Malinga the Swinga
58 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

God, I must be getting ancient, I remember seeing Underwood play in Scarborough, might have been for Kent, England or MCC. 

Malinga the Swinga

Just saw rerun of day 4 play. The English batsmen need to lock away pre-determined sweep to spin as that is getting them into all sorts of trouble. 

Just saw Moeen has opted to return to England and miss last 2 tests as fed up with 'bubble'. 

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

41 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Just saw rerun of day 4 play. The English batsmen need to lock away pre-determined sweep to spin as that is getting them into all sorts of trouble. 

Just saw Moeen has opted to return to England and miss last 2 tests as fed up with 'bubble'. 

I was surprised at that but maybe he just wants home and you can't really blame him I suppose. Just seems a bit strange that he spent all that time not playing and self isolating to play just one test. Note also that over 50k allowed in the ground during the next test. England will have to be on top of the game to keep that lot quiet.

12 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Crawley the only one to get runs of note.

He does look like a player. Well impressed with him each time he's played. 

36 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Another Bunsen which was always going to be the case and, as you say, only Leach with Root as backup. 

Strange decision. 

The way it's going, England will be bowling under the lights and will be praying that Anderson and Broad can swing the pink ball like a boomerang.

9 down now. As Cookie says though, don't judge the pitch until both teams have batted on it. I fully expect both Anderson and Broad to cause problems shortly but if they don't, it could be a long evening in the field for England.