Expensive watches

jamborich

1 minute ago, jamborich said:

Lol brilliant 

That was just one of the things that made her the best wife a man could ever have. We both had a good giggle when we walked out of J.C. Penneys in Seattle

11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have to admit I for a long time aspired to some time own a Rolex. In 2013 my wife bought me a Citizen watch, the battery is recharged by the sun, it is radio controlled, changes the time itself when the summer and winter times change, when we travelled a lot to the States it changed the time zones automatically. My wife bought it for me in the States, it was on sale around $400 U.S. she as was her practise in the States moaned about the cost in our Canadian dollars and said she would just leave it there was an immediate reduction of $100. It is the best watch I have ever owned it is actually designed for pilots, does everything itself, not bad to look at, and on departing an aircraft in Vegas was asked by the flight attendant who saw it if I was a pilot.

I have a Citizen Red Arrows watch that I chose from my employer list for  a long service award. At that time I was working as a defence contractor to/for the MOD and when people saw the watch they assumed I had been in the Red Arrows . Some top laughs.😄  ✈️And it's a top watch.

PS No issue with folks buying top end watches. I admire the craftmanship involved and if my wife wasn't going to have a major fit,  I'd already have spent way more than I should on some nice time pieces. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I watch CNN quite a lot and they have slots regularly about time pieces and the craftsmanship is remarkable in watches.

The money I've saved not going to the pub will go toward a decent watch.

👍 It should be rather expensive. :whistling:

I have a second watch a Certina a Swiss watch. It is gold my wife bought it for me at Watches of Switzerland in Princes Street for my birthday when we got engaged in 1959. Still works well has to be wound now, I wear it a bit more now as a sort of memory thing. It was quite expensive in its day.

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I have a second watch a Certina a Swiss watch. It is gold my wife bought it for me at Watches of Switzerland in Princes Street for my birthday when we got engaged in 1959. Still works well has to be wound now, I wear it a bit more now as a sort of memory thing. It was quite expensive in its day.

You’ve got the best of both worlds going on Bob, Citizen watches are super reliable watches that never break down. I got a nice one in New York a couple of years ago that is charged by light and it’s a really nice comfy watch to wear. And Certina made top quality watches back in the day. A standard gold plated one the same age as yours even now is worth a few hundred pounds. Though yours is of course priceless as it’s full of memories.  I need to get myself a 50’s or 60’s dress watch, they never go out of style. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Are automatic watches worth getting?

Yes. Especially if you’re not the type of person that owns a number of watches. I normally rotate what I’m wearing regularly but I’ve had the same watch on for about 3 weeks now, wound it 3 weeks ago and forgot about it apart from checking the time every few days as it isn’t an expensive one so will lose or gain roughly 10 seconds a day, I’ve got others that may vary by that much over an entire week. Most can’t be overwound either. And ones that can are either very old or very cheap. 

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yes. Especially if you’re not the type of person that owns a number of watches. I normally rotate what I’m wearing regularly but I’ve had the same watch on for about 3 weeks now, wound it 3 weeks ago and forgot about it apart from checking the time every few days as it isn’t an expensive one so will lose or gain roughly 10 seconds a day, I’ve got others that may vary by that much over an entire week. Most can’t be overwound either. And ones that can are either very old or very cheap. 

Thanks for that.

I watch CNN a lot and their adverts have loads about watches which I find quite interesting.

The workmanship is truly amazing.

highlandjambo3

Am feard to buy stuff like that.......same with sunglasses, if they are expensive I’d probably leave them at home for fear of loosing them but, if I have a couple of cheap watches/sunglasses and I loose them....then so what....my opinion of course.

13 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Am feard to buy stuff like that.......same with sunglasses, if they are expensive I’d probably leave them at home for fear of loosing them but, if I have a couple of cheap watches/sunglasses and I loose them....then so what....my opinion of course.

How do you just lose a watch? Don't think I've lost a watch in my life

On 03/02/2021 at 23:37, Lemongrab said:

I guy I know continually tells me that his gold Rolex Submariner is an investment, as it's only going to increase in value.  If that's true, I doubt you could say that about a Sekonda.

Strangely enough it's not the gold Rolex watches that appreciate as much as the stainless steel.

You could buy a stainless steel submariner for 8k and sell it for 14k the next day. 

The stainless steel daytona  however is the watch everybody wants. You will double your value overnight.

However both the above and the GMT stainless steel models are like hens teeth trying to get a hold of. 

highlandjambo3
39 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Nor me but, I remember back in the day at school when the first digital watches came out, only the posh kids had one, anyway, it had appeared that the little telescopic pins that held the strap to the watch face had snapped.
Anyway, I’ve never really bothered tbh but, if I had a really expensive watch I’d probably sew it onto my wrist.

62C0CB3E-2E2C-4358-90F4-CFC29C081993.jpeg

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

When someone helps themselves. 

On 03/02/2021 at 18:21, Tazio said:

They do, which is why I don’t buy cheap clothes. The watch thing is more objective, the Rolex will feel more special and almost definitely look better. It will also last a lifetime if serviced properly. It’s like anything people like nice things, just look at the car market as a more realistic comparison, a Kia does everything a top German marque will do. But nobody aspires to a Kia. 

My feelings are hurt.🤧

kia.jpg

I think the purchasing of an expensive timepiece would coincide with my imminent death. 

Either a last wish or the wife will kill me. 

Never really been into watches, so an expensive one would be wasted on me, although I did get an (engraved on the back) 18ct gold Tissot watch from my work for 25 yrs service.

I think they cost well over £300 back in the early 2000's, only wore it a couple of times, I think it's in a drawer somewhere.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Never really been into watches, so an expensive one would be wasted on me, although I did get an (engraved on the back) 18ct gold Tissot watch from my work for 25 yrs service.

I think they cost well over £300 back in the early 2000's, only wore it a couple of times, I think it's in a drawer somewhere.

My son in law is really into watches and very expensive ones.

What I find laughable is he’s probably the worst timekeeper I’ve ever known.😄

23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You'll be amazed what that will fetch on ebay.

If you were thinking about selling. 

20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You'll be amazed what that will fetch on ebay.

If you were thinking about selling. 

Alternatively you could also be disappointed, like most collecting hobbies watches and brands go in and out of fashion. Also an engraved case back can hit the value of a watch sadly. A lot of collectors won’t buy an engraved watch. 

36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Alternatively you could also be disappointed, like most collecting hobbies watches and brands go in and out of fashion. Also an engraved case back can hit the value of a watch sadly. A lot of collectors won’t buy an engraved watch. 

Which is exactly why I wouldn't sell it, it'll get handed down when I'm gone.

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Indeed. But then I was recently watching a 40 y o Tissot with engraved back - but I stopped looking when it climbed to around £300.

46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Indeed. But then I was recently watching a 40 y o Tissot with engraved back - but I stopped looking when it climbed to around £300.

300 notes would have been fine for a ‘middle-of-the-road’ wristwatch, by the way.

12 hours ago, been here before said:

Risky though as they could get time for that.

:D

A slap on the wrist, with our justice system. 

Edited by ri Alban