Mathematically calculating when we wrap up the league

Restonbabe

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Three wins from 11 games this calendar year yet people are talking about them winning their last 7 games which include games against us, Dundee and Raith. They will do well to make the play-offs. They are also a club where a lot of the fans want the manager out it seems 

Yep, there is no danger to us whatsoever and that maybe accounts for some of the apathy we are feeling as fans, and maybe even the players too.  

Hope ICT make the play offs but whoever gets through the Championship play offs, I don’t give them much chance against Hamilton, Motherwell or Ross County.  There’s quite a gap between them and the Championship also rans. 

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

• Hagar the Horrible

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Everyone isn't convinced. Some on here are actively willing Dunfermline/Raith or Dundee to catch us and they are never Hearts supporters. 

We will win on Saturday. 

:greatpost:

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

For sure.

It’s turned into a bit of a fiasco hasn’t it?

We’ll get there though, then change the nucleus of the team for next season.

I prefer to think of it as is interesting.... exciting, fun even. 

Some wanted fun and excitement, a nail biting last few games should be making them happy! 

It's want many wanted all season,, fun and excitement. 🙄

Going 2-0 down, getting it back to 2-2 then lashing in own goals to keep the promotion race open is just what the doctor ordered. 

Horatio Caine

What's everyone's thoughts about tonight's Fife derby?  A draw would suit us fine with both dropping two points.

heartsfc_fan
24 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

What's everyone's thoughts about tonight's Fife derby?  A draw would suit us fine with both dropping two points.

Draw would be best or Dunfermline win as that will put them on level points with Raith and same number of games played.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Draw would be best or Dunfermline win as that will put them on level points with Raith and same number of games played.

Yip that’s my preferred options. 

Hagar the Horrible
35 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip that’s my preferred options. 

If its a draw, we pretty much need to beat Dunfermline as that would rule out RR and the Pars being able to better us (GD inc) but to max their points outwith us winning on Saturday, they would both have to beat Dundee, would would have 49 points, RR 49points, Dundee and dunfermline 46 points

Dundee to win league they would need to beat RR, the Pars, ICT, Morton, Ayr and QoS

if they did that I will never support Hearts again, assuming we dont  win any 2 remaining games, or Dunfermline on Saturday

We are in a possition where we can rely on our own results but with the insurance that we can also rely on the others dropping points against each other.

The only fly in the oitment is Robbie could lose all our remaining games

6 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

First choice is a draw.

Second choice is a win for Dunfermline.

The result we really don’t want is 19-0 to Raith Rovers.

6 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

If I have my maths correct. A draw tonight means we can win the league on Saturday ?

12 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Only if Dundee don't win. They can get to 51 points and we'd have 49 if we beat the pars on Saturday. 

Edit - just spotted Dundee don't play this weekend (next game Tuesday 6th).

But my brain is a bit fried today so I could be missing something as I'm sure I read we could win it this weekend too!

No you are correct. Dundee can still achieve 51 points and we’d have 49 so still not a mathematical certainty. Dundee have 4 out of 6 away though and some tough games so there is no danger they’re winning all 6. Could be done on Tuesday.

Edited by JimmyCant

On 29/03/2021 at 16:54, daavojaay said:

so if dunfermine win 2 in hand and beat us its down to 7 points

That’s the Dunfermline that have won 3 out of 11 games this calendar year? 

18 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yep, there is no danger to us whatsoever and that maybe accounts for some of the apathy we are feeling as fans, and maybe even the players too.  

Hope ICT make the play offs but whoever gets through the Championship play offs, I don’t give them much chance against Hamilton, Motherwell or Ross County.  There’s quite a gap between them and the Championship also rans. 

Never know. We were close to Hibs and Celtic in the cup and also close to Brora in the cup. If it was a one-off game play-off I think they would have a better chance. 

Tommy Brown

10 points with a head to head on last day.

But they go to QotS and Dundee also.

We still need 6 points for certainty, or 3 points plus a draw on the last day at starks Park. If Raith win all games which they won't.

Footballfirst

Updated in advance of tonight's final whistle.

P Pts Avail Max PPG Pts @ PPG
Hearts 22 46 15 61 2.09 56.45
Raith 22 36 15 51 1.64 44.18
Dundee 21 33 18 51 1.57 42.43
ICT 22 30 15 45 1.36 36.82
Dunfermline 21 30 18 48 1.43 38.57
QOTS 22 30 15 45 1.36 36.82
Ayr 22 26 15 41 1.18 31.91
Morton 22 25 15 40 1.14 30.68
Arbroath 22 22 15 37 1.00 27.00
Alloa 22 18 15 33 0.82 22.09

August Landmesser
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Updated in advance of tonight's final whistle.

P Pts Avail Max PPG Pts @ PPG
Hearts 22 46 15 61 2.09 56.45
Raith 22 36 15 51 1.64 44.18
Dundee 21 33 18 51 1.57 42.43
ICT 22 30 15 45 1.36 36.82
Dunfermline 21 30 18 48 1.43 38.57
QOTS 22 30 15 45 1.36 36.82
Ayr 22 26 15 41 1.18 31.91
Morton 22 25 15 40 1.14 30.68
Arbroath 22 22 15 37 1.00 27.00
Alloa 22 18 15 33 0.82 22.09

A minimum of a draw on Saturday knocks Dunfermline out then. Obvs a win would be welcome, but I'm not insane!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

A minimum of a draw on Saturday knocks Dunfermline out then. Obvs a win would be welcome, but I'm not insane!

Dunfermline supporters will likely be as confident as us after conceding 8 in the last two league games. 

Saint Jambo

As a bit of context, Dundee and Raith both have a longest winning streak in the league of 3 games. They've both won their last 2 games. Anyone who thinks they are going to go on and put together the kind of run required to catch us is crazy.

Caught the second half of the Fife derby....Raith were very good. Even at 4-1 up they never let Dunfermline get a sniff. Chased lost causes, confident, the movement off the ball was excellent, always players desperate for a pass. Dunfermline looked pretty terrible but a lot of that down to Raith. We need to wrap this League up as soon as possible. I don't fancy Raith last day of the season.

Wonder if Neilson was at that game doing homework? If he was then it's clear as day to me that if you chase Dunfermline all over the place, give them no momentum then there's a chance we might actually win. Noticed the Hamilton and St Mirren managers were there. 

Tonight's result changes nowt, we still need 6 points to make sure. I agree that it's unlikely that either Dunfermline, raith or dundee will win all their remaining games but it would be good to do it ourselves and not depend on others dropping points. Lets get 3 points on Saturday then it's Alloa st home.

9 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Tonight's result changes nowt, we still need 6 points to make sure.

I would argue that it changes something. As others have pointed out, our last game is against Raith. I suggest we need 2 wins in our next 3 games.

Good form teams go on a run at this stage. We're clearly not capable of winning all 5 so we need to wrap this up asap. 

If Raith drop points that's a bonus, but we can't afford to go into games 26 and 27 still needing those 6 points.

57 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Caught the second half of the Fife derby....Raith were very good. Even at 4-1 up they never let Dunfermline get a sniff. Chased lost causes, confident, the movement off the ball was excellent, always players desperate for a pass. Dunfermline looked pretty terrible but a lot of that down to Raith. We need to wrap this League up as soon as possible. I don't fancy Raith last day of the season.

Wonder if Neilson was at that game doing homework? If he was then it's clear as day to me that if you chase Dunfermline all over the place, give them no momentum then there's a chance we might actually win. Noticed the Hamilton and St Mirren managers were there. 

Neilson would learn nothing! He does not have the bottle to set the team up to chase Dunfermline all over the park - he will already be putting the plan together for a draw!

On 29/03/2021 at 16:54, daavojaay said:

so if dunfermine win 2 in hand and beat us its down to 7 points

Now one in hand and 16 with 5 to go after that. They have to win their game in hand to not be mathematically out of it with 5 games left. I'd say their race is run

Just now, stan said:

I would argue that it changes something. As others have pointed out, our last game is against Raith. I suggest we need 2 wins in our next 3 games.

Good form teams go on a run at this stage. We're clearly not capable of winning all 5 so we need to wrap this up asap. 

If Raith drop points that's a bonus, but we can't afford to go into games 26 and 27 still needing those 6 points.

We need 2 wins full stop. 6 points wins the league officially.

Just now, Jambo92 said:

We need 2 wins full stop. 6 points wins the league officially.

Sure, but I think this team would crumble if we fail to get 2 wins in the next 3. This team can't cope with that pressure.

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Neilson would learn nothing! He does not have the bottle to set the team up to chase Dunfermline all over the park - he will already be putting the plan together for a draw!

Yep. 

1 hour ago, pennyjambo22 said:

RR 4-1  lead down to 10 points

11 really mate wi the goal difference. But right DOWN to just the 10 points wise

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

My maths is terrible, can we not win the league on Saturday if we win and raith lose? 

Raith on cup duty i believe, didn't know the cup competitions were running again, must of missed that. 👀

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Tonight's result changes nowt, we still need 6 points to make sure. I agree that it's unlikely that either Dunfermline, raith or dundee will win all their remaining games but it would be good to do it ourselves and not depend on others dropping points. Lets get 3 points on Saturday then it's Alloa st home.

👍

2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

My maths is terrible, can we not win the league on Saturday if we win and raith lose? 

Dundee would also need to lose. Not sure who's playing who though.

3 minutes ago, stan said:

Sure, but I think this team would crumble if we fail to get 2 wins in the next 3. This team can't cope with that pressure.

No I agree, I think we will stumble across the line due to other teams losing rather than us winning.

31 minutes ago, 1953 said:

👍 

That’s it, in a nutshell.

A Shoreditch Heart
4 minutes ago, stan said:

Dundee would also need to lose. Not sure who's playing who though.

Like most clubs in Scotland, I believe that Dundee and Raith are playing in some sort of cup competition at the weekend 😞

It won’t come down to goal difference, but, if it did, how embarrassingly bad would that be?

Just now, Jambo92 said:

No I agree, I think we will stumble across the line due to other teams losing rather than us winning.

1 minute ago, Jambo92 said:

Yep. We may be there already. Style wise, a bit like those long distance walkers entering the stadium on wobbly legs, tripping, dazed and stumbling their way to the finishing line. You look away and just want it to be over for them before some someone else waltzes past. 🤞

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It won’t come down to goal difference, but, if it did, how embarrassingly bad would that be?

Ah,  but RN would have met his objective for the season,   And delivered success 👍

5 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Like most clubs in Scotland, I believe that Dundee and Raith are playing in some sort of cup competition at the weekend 😞

😉ouch...Out so early I'd forgotten that was still a thing.

6 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

Especially if we keep losing and Raith keep scoring they’ve cut into our gd alreadybtonight😳

We don’t ‘keep losing’.  That is, if you’re referring to league games?

Brora has skewed the minds of many.

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Dunfermline supporters will likely be as confident as us after conceding 8 in the last two league games. 

It'll be 90 mins of players in clown shoes running into each other, falling over and generally being inept. One or two might somehow manage to set themselves on fire. Someone else will stand in a bucket of paint. Absolute Keystone Cops in store from these bozos.

29 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

Especially if we keep losing and Raith keep scoring they’ve cut into our gd alreadybtonight😳

14 goals ahead of Raith.....5 games to go......

2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Easily made up at this rate. 

If we lost that goal advantage and a 10 point lead it would go down as the worst ever collapse of our Club!

It would fit perfectly on Neilson’s CV with the Club’s worst ever SC result, and worst ever European result!

9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

If we lost that goal advantage and a 10 point lead it would go down as the worst ever collapse of our Club!

It would fit perfectly on Neilson’s CV with the Club’s worst ever SC result, and worst ever European result!

Yep 

I reckon Neilson has to lose all five games left to give Raith or Dundee a sniff.  That would be a calamity beyond even his capacity surely.

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I reckon Neilson has to lose all five games left to give Raith or Dundee a sniff.  That would be a calamity beyond even his capacity surely.

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Raith play Livingston in the cup on Saturday, so no. I won't mention last Tuesday night.

georgiehearts66
6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

Sadly very true.

5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If he doesn't beat DAFC on Saturday it means the Alloa game is a must win as the run in is pretty tough. Morton Away, ICT home, Raith away. Has to beat Alloa. They are fighting for their lives so Neilson has to get it right ffs.