Josh Doig - one that got away?

Niemi’s gloves

Niemi’s gloves

Josh Doig of Hibs being touted in the BBC’s gossip page for a move this summer to one of several top English clubs. Lots of questions.  He came through our youth system but signed for Hibs in summer 2019 when he was 17. Was he ever on a pro contract with us - he wasn’t one of the 9 who signed in summer 2018? Did we ever offer him a contract and/or was there some sort of fall out.  Are we due anything if Hibs do get a significant fee for him? And finally, is he actually any good or is it just paper gossip?

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Rudy T

• jambonian

• Section Q

Must admit he does look decent and shows plenty hunger and desire which helps a hell of a lot. Don't know what happened at us for him to end up at the darkside but he would have been a good addition to our squad. 

Ronald Villiers

Decent player and a Jambo.  Apparently left as he wasn't getting a game before Hickey.  You'd think the club would've realised that Hickey would be moving on sooner rather than later and kept Doig to fill in once he'd left.  Then again the club maybe didn't think he could cut it with the first team.  Annoying that we could lose out financially on one of our own.

21 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Josh Doig of Hibs being touted in the BBC’s gossip page for a move this summer to one of several top English clubs. Lots of questions.  He came through our youth system but signed for Hibs in summer 2019 when he was 17. Was he ever on a pro contract with us - he wasn’t one of the 9 who signed in summer 2018? Did we ever offer him a contract and/or was there some sort of fall out.  Are we due anything if Hibs do get a significant fee for him? And finally, is he actually any good or is it just paper gossip?

Our DOF preferred Hickey and told Josh's dad that his 1st team opportunities whilst we have Hickey would be minimal.  Big fall out with the Dad who took him to Hibs and as soon as he signed for them Hickey was in the shop window.

Byyy The Light
19 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

He was so good last night he was subbed 

He was getting absolutely tortured by Tavernier.

Skilful player going forwards and quick but looked like a wee boy last night. Which to be fair to him he still is.

If we had Colt teams in the EoS players like Hickey and Doig could have 100 appearances against men before they even get a sniff at the first team.

All of them, Cochrane, Henderson, Moore etc would have benefited from it massively.

We had Hickey, weren't to know he'd end up being touted for other(big) clubs as quickly as he did.

We believed Hickey was the better player, we let another in the same position and approx the same age go.

Hardly the  shite decision making some are making out.

Its football it happens

These things are usually a bit more complicated.

But there was a interview with Doig at the start of the season. He was disappointed to be released but got his head down. 

Edited by Mikey1874

16 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Yep, shame as has been said above was a Jambo from a Hearts family. Another one of Levein's poor decisions. 

Yes indeed. Going with Hickey over Doig, what on earth was Levein thinking??

Yep I know, I appreciate Hickey came to fore and went for a lot of money, but as has been said above we have not been blessed with an abundance of quality full backs over the past couple of years, surely he could have been retained  as cover? Just a thought. 

12 minutes ago, droid said:

We had Hickey, weren't to know he'd end up being touted for other(big) clubs as quickly as he did.

We believed Hickey was the better player, we let another in the same position and approx the same age go.

Hardly the  shite decision making some are making out.

Its football it happens

But some people need a conspiracy theory or something to hammer the club with.

He looks like he'll develop into a decent player, don't agree with the hype just now though. Wasn't he the full back that let Olly Lee drive forward and cross for WIghton in the Semi final?

As others have said, board made a choice between him and Hickey, chose Hickey as the better prospect. He clearly didn't like the prospect of being back up or waiting for a chance which is fair enough as a footballer. 

Has there ever been a player released by Hearts who went on to Play for a bigger team and commanded a multi million pound fee?

The hype over Hibs players was driven by that crop of youngsters they had years ago Brown, Thompson etc. Since then they've sold John McGinn who they got from St Mirren and I suspect they got money for Fletcher that's it 2 players in 20 years... but let's get all upset about it despite us keeping the guy who just netted us 1.5 million. Gies peace man!

I think Josh played as a left centre half alot of the time at the academy although he also played left back aswell, the fact that Hickey was two footed and just as comfortable at right back probably means that it was a poor decision not keep Josh at the club. Regardless of how it turns out, we have done what we thought was best for Hearts and if it was a choice between Hickey & Doig then we have made the right call.

From what I seen hes just another Kevin McHattie. Is decent build for his age, but not the fastest, composure lacking and crossing suspect.  Looks like he will be an avergae Scottish Prem LB for next few years but all this gossip is baffling.  Hibs have a track record of buffing their players up for big moves, almost think its because they know they're average and want to make quick cash. 

Hows that best striker in Europe Oli Shaw doing? Oh yes playing in the Highlands. 

6 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

From what I seen hes just another Kevin McHattie. Is decent build for his age, but not the fastest, composure lacking and crossing suspect.  Looks like he will be an avergae Scottish Prem LB for next few years but all this gossip is baffling.  Hibs have a track record of buffing their players up for big moves, almost think its because they know they're average and want to make quick cash. 

Hows that best striker in Europe Oli Shaw doing? Oh yes playing in the Highlands. 

Porteous is another one, they hyped him enough to get him a Scotland call up, did you see Rangers goal last night😂

It all hinged on Hickey not signing a new deal. If he did then Doig would be an irrelevance. We would still have the better player and we’d be looking at a far bigger fee than we got for him. 

FWIW I have never seen him and thought ‘wow what a player’. He gives 100% and has a good physic. But he gets targeted by opposition teams as a weak link and never never seems to finish a game. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Porteous is another one, they hyped him enough to get him a Scotland call up, did you see Rangers goal last night😂

He basically watched Tubs Morelos move in for the kill, the big huddy😂

Mind you, he was blowing out his arse after chasing shadows down in the left back area prior to the goal.  He looked f*****.

Scotland defender 🤣

The Apprentice

I’d like to see how many 90 mins Doig has managed as he gets subbed around the 65-70 mark most games. He looks ok, but I must be missing something if the teams linked with him are genuine. 

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Porteous is a comedy act. 

Silly grin like a wee lassie, thinks he's a hard man but he sure is not. 

He's a smegma faced turd. 

He's also a complete liability. Caught napping last night for the Hun goal and I laughed my cock off. 

He'll never be a decent player as sure as my arse points south.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

19 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He basically watched Tubs Morelos move in for the kill, the big huddy😂

Mind you, he was blowing out his arse after chasing shadows down in the left back area prior to the goal.  He looked f*****.

Scotland defender 🤣

Hanlon is another one, he's about 46 now and still to fulfill his promising youngster tag. Lewis Stevenson another over hyped diddy, Hibs player through about 6 relegations, 212 Derby defeats & countless European humiliations

1 hour ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Decent player and a Jambo.  Apparently left as he wasn't getting a game before Hickey.  You'd think the club would've realised that Hickey would be moving on sooner rather than later and kept Doig to fill in once he'd left.  Then again the club maybe didn't think he could cut it with the first team.  Annoying that we could lose out financially on one of our own.

Crystal ball oot!!!

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Hanlon is another one, he's about 46 now and still to fulfill his promising youngster tag. Lewis Stevenson another over hyped diddy, Hibs player through about 6 relegations, 212 Derby defeats & countless European humiliations

Cheers for making me LOL. 

1 hour ago, Ronald Villiers said:

its all Budge's fault Budge oooot...   am i doing this right   ? 

22 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

He's also a complete liability. Caught napping last night for the Hun goal and I laughed my cock off. 

Every point spot on. Thinks he’s a player with his cocky smirk and the way he flies into tackles. 

Tries to launch 40 yard cross field World Cup baws but ends up hitting Jack Loss in the dugout.  Trumpet of the highest order is the laddie.

Glamorgan Jambo

One of a baffling number of docksiders linked with 'big money moves' this month. You could be forgiven for thinking their club is in dire need of cash and is hawking them in the media.

1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

One of a baffling number of docksiders linked with 'big money moves' this month. You could be forgiven for thinking their club is in dire need of cash and is hawking them in the media.

Nah they're loaded the fans just chipped in 45 quid and a new match ball... 

18 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Haha. Very true. Club Legends though 👀

Looked quite decent in his first few games, but seems to have tailed off. Was shite in the cup game against SJ at the weekend.

No great loss.

36 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Good post. 

28 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Lewis Stevenson must still have nightmares about Suso. 

allanwilson1970

I watched him often in our U17/18's and I actually spoke to his dad before he left Hearts. He was offered a full time contract after being part time for a season but wanted to leave as he was being played in center midfield, center back and was struggling. He was like a fish out of water in midfield and slightly better at centre back. Reason he was playing those positions was Hickey and Leo Watson were getting played at left back and both looked miles better than Doig.  Levein still offered him a contract and did not let him go, Doig did not want to stay, then he ended up at them and to be fair has done well. But if you ask me Hickey and Watson are still miles better than him.

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

Yep I know, I appreciate Hickey came to fore and went for a lot of money, but as has been said above we have not been blessed with an abundance of quality full backs over the past couple of years, surely he could have been retained  as cover? Just a thought. 

In an ideal world yes. But we have a budget. Sometimes choices have to be made and in fairness if it had to be one or the other we probably got that one right.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

If we had Colt teams in the EoS players like Hickey and Doig could have 100 appearances against men before they even get a sniff at the first team.

All of them, Cochrane, Henderson, Moore etc would have benefited from it massively.

I get the idea of colt teams, but you have to be careful of what you wish for. Any sniff of colt teams and the Glasgow bigots will have one or two teams, and sooner or later the rules would be changed to allow them into the higher leagues, and eventually into the Premiership. Would take a few years but never discount it happening when the bigots are involved.

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

I watched him often in our U17/18's and I actually spoke to his dad before he left Hearts. He was offered a full time contract after being part time for a season but wanted to leave as he was being played in center midfield, center back and was struggling. He was like a fish out of water in midfield and slightly better at centre back. Reason he was playing those positions was Hickey and Leo Watson were getting played at left back and both looked miles better than Doig.  Levein still offered him a contract and did not let him go, Doig did not want to stay, then he ended up at them and to be fair has done well. But if you ask me Hickey and Watson are still miles better than him.

Good info. Thanks

Mid Calder Jambo
2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Lot to be said for bringing back the Reserve League. It could include Colts teams. If teams can't field a reserve team them a colts team gets the chance to go in. Sportsman in every sport need competition to improve and develop.

2 hours ago, MTS1874 said:

Probably the choice of keeping Hickey or him and we chose Hickey.

Both good so players why not retain both......?

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

Both good so players why not retain both......?

Probably could have played Hickey at right back and Doig at left back. Unfortunately it looks like it was Levein’s call.

24 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

That's pretty much what I heard. 

The way it's panned out, we received c£1.5M for Hickey, replaced him with a quality, finished article LB in Kingsley and still have Leo Watson.

Doig looks decent but as other have said, he gets targeted in games and has struggled the last two that I've seen v St Johnstone and Rangers. He didn't look too clever in the Semi against us either.

Hopefully the boy does well though (after he's left Hibs obviously)!

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Has there ever been a player released by Hearts who went on to Play for a bigger team and commanded a multi million pound fee?

The hype over Hibs players was driven by that crop of youngsters they had years ago Brown, Thompson etc. Since then they've sold John McGinn who they got from St Mirren and I suspect they got money for Fletcher that's it 2 players in 20 years... but let's get all upset about it despite us keeping the guy who just netted us 1.5 million. Gies peace man!

You forgot Cummings! Levein still hasn't been forgiven for him leaving in 2012 before Levein arrived...and then Hibs making best part of a million from him.

Edited by Spellczech

2 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Probably could have played Hickey at right back and Doig at left back. Unfortunately it looks like it was Levein’s call.

Levein made some bold predictions claiming our youth policy would be the best in the country within 5 years.

I think that was about 5 years ago.............!