Wighton signs pre-contract and goes on loan to Dunfermline then moans then scores 2 (title updated)

upgotheheads

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• been here before

• GinRummy

• colinmaroon

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm sure he will do well at Dunfermline. Good luck to him. 

Agree - If they stay in the Championship.

If they come up via the play offs, I dont think he will cut it at Premier level.

I wish him all the best.

He's obviously put in a lot of hard work to improve his physique and try and make a go of things this season and he's scored some very important goals for us as a result. 

He will be a regular starter at the Pars and that is what he needs after the last couple of seasons. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I think a good coach and a sports psychologist could sort him out in no time. It worries me how damaged some of the players were in the last few years - both physically and mentally. This was in fact the stated policy of the club to sign players who were better than their market value at the time of signing, because they were in some way damaged either physically or mentally -  it is like we were seeking a whole team of Larssons, Suttons and Hartsons -, yet the club didn't appear to have either the medical or the psychological resources to carry out the bloody policy!!!! Sean Clare said he had to go to a sports psychologist for help (perhaps someone knows if it was the club or Sean himself who recognised this?) and Levein spent his last few months reviewing the medical dept!!!!

I agree with you completely. We did the first part (signing players who had potential but have had flaws that meant they were available) but did nothing really to deal with the second part (dealing with the flaws to make a much better player.) Pretty sure that it was Brian Clough who got players in with problems who had talent but he actually worked on their problems. Proved to be very successful for him.

There was also the issue of coaching, players had a big habit of going backwards in development after they started playing before. In Scottish football, getting the most out of players make a big difference. Look at Kilmarnock under Clarke and now Livingston under Martindale. While they worked a lot around a system that gets the most out of the players, it also is improving them. Rogers at Celtic turned average players into top class players. Its what we should be doing, getting players in, who improve and can benefit the team then sell while their stock is high.

Good luck to him.

I've been willing him on, particularly since getting my Plot Certificate presented by him, but he's not going to make it at Hearts.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I agree with you completely. We did the first part (signing players who had potential but have had flaws that meant they were available) but did nothing really to deal with the second part (dealing with the flaws to make a much better player.) Pretty sure that it was Brian Clough who got players in with problems who had talent but he actually worked on their problems. Proved to be very successful for him.

There was also the issue of coaching, players had a big habit of going backwards in development after they started playing before. In Scottish football, getting the most out of players make a big difference. Look at Kilmarnock under Clarke and now Livingston under Martindale. While they worked a lot around a system that gets the most out of the players, it also is improving them. Rogers at Celtic turned average players into top class players. Its what we should be doing, getting players in, who improve and can benefit the team then sell while their stock is high.

Damn, I thought I was being particularly astute there identifying Martin O'Neil's secret formula - but he just pinched it from his own mentor Cloughie...Perhaps I should read some football books? - Only one I've ever bought was Peter Crouch's because I got it on Audible when I had a bit of a commute...

heartgarfunkel
5 hours ago, Firefox said:

Unfortunately most of the time when he did get game time, it wasn't  in his best position.  Showed that he could score goals when used properly, notably a hattrick against Raith in the League cup, a double against Ayr in the league, and THAT goal against Hibs in the Semi.  The two against Ayr were the difference between a 5-3 win and a 3-3 draw, and apart from Naisy I can't think of anyone else who has recently scored a hattrick for us.  as for the goal against Hibs, It was an excellent header.  I reckon Boyce has missed more sitters this season than Wighton. 

He's more than played an active  part in our season and doesn't deserve some of the  adverse comments that have regularly appeared on here. 

Good luck to him, and I hope his career kicks on next season. 

Absolutely agree - well put.

5 hours ago, Firefox said:

Unfortunately most of the time when he did get game time, it wasn't  in his best position.  Showed that he could score goals when used properly, notably a hattrick against Raith in the League cup, a double against Ayr in the league, and THAT goal against Hibs in the Semi.  The two against Ayr were the difference between a 5-3 win and a 3-3 draw, and apart from Naisy I can't think of anyone else who has recently scored a hattrick for us.  as for the goal against Hibs, It was an excellent header.  I reckon Boyce has missed more sitters this season than Wighton. 

He's more than played an active  part in our season and doesn't deserve some of the  adverse comments that have regularly appeared on here. 

Good luck to him, and I hope his career kicks on next season. 

Absolutely. 

the fault lies with Levein for signing a lad not ready or of the quality for Hearts. 

but credit to him for working really hard, developing himself physically and showing some quality this season. Not to mention his goal against Hibs. 

However still not of the quality we need to get to where we want to get to. 

I do think Dunfermline is a great move for him. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Wighton signs pre-contract with Dunfermline (title updated)

I wish him well. 

He should never have been signed for so long as he was by Levein. I understand why we took a chance on him but it just didn't work out. 2 years with the option to extend would have been plenty and would have allowed us to move him on sooner.

I don't blame Wighton for signing for us or for signing as long (who wouldn't want to play at Tynecastle?) but it was obvious that he wasn't what Hearts needed soon after he joined.

I am not negative against the lad, it just didn't work out and I hope he finds his level and does well at Dunfermline.

Edited by Pans Jambo

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I wish him well. 

He should never have been signed for so long as he was by Levein. I understand why we took a chance on him but it just didn't work out. 2 years with the option to extend would have been plenty and would have allowed us to move him on sooner.

I don't blame Wighton for signing for us or for signing as long (who wouldn't want to play at Tynecastle?) but it was obvious that he wasn't what Hearts needed soon after he joined.

I am not negative against the lad, it just didn't work out and I hope he finds his level and does well at Dunfermline.

Again it comes down to me as he was signed based on his potential and talent, but with no plan on how we would get him to reach that potential. Do agree a 2 year contract with the option of a 3rd year would have been the best way to go.

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

He really wasn't good enough.

A pretty poor signing all round.

He even shaved his head and changed the colour of the boots that never helped 😁

There is a video on youtube of him starting at Dundee just looks like a completely different man looked more agile had pace and skill . He came to Hearts looked scared and had no confidence. He is a league one player at best am surprised another championship club has taking a punt on him. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

2 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

He will score buckets for the pars Tellin ye

Probs will ... Cue a 'Wighton' thread a-lá 'Shankland' ... or that 'Cumdawg' fella! Och, good fortune to him. He was/is a tryer and doesnae deserve to be castigated.

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

What's with the thanking us bit. One of the other clubs thanked Robbie in their announcement. Don't really remember sessing other clubs doing it for loans but maybe I just pay less attention when it doesn't involve Hearts. Would like to think it is us humiliating clubs that acted against us last year, forcing them to bend the knee the if they want any help from us.

Why take the chance of loaning him out to these scumbags and our main promotion rivals? Why not loan him to the likes of Alloa or Arbroath where he may score goals against Dunfermline, Raith and Dundee?

59 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They would like to thank us for our help with the loan??? WTF are we helping any of these scumbag Clubs FFS!

25 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

They would like to thank us for our help with the loan??? WTF are we helping any of these scumbag Clubs FFS!

Because he's shite and it gets him off our wage bill

5 minutes ago, Simo said:

Because he's shite and it gets him off our wage bill

We should be giving Dunfermline feck all IMO.

The Grim Reaper
40 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Calm down darling, it’s Craig Wighton.

36 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Calm down darling, it’s Craig Wighton.

Big guy out injured already - we have one recognised striker left Darling!

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Big guy out injured already - we have one recognised striker left Darling!

Presumably Robbie knew that before he loaned out Wighton. 🤔

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Presumably Robbie knew that before he loaned out Wighton. 🤔

🤷‍♂️

People seem unable to understand we don't send him on loan where ever WE want him to go - he has to agree. He's already signed a pre-contract with the Pars so likely would not play against them (in case he ruins their play off chances) if he had gone to another club and I doubt Robbie would have him on the bench for us v Pars if he'd stayed.

Delay in this has probably been Pars having to agree to paying more of his wages

16 minutes ago, JTJ said:

People seem unable to understand we don't send him on loan where ever WE want him to go - he has to agree. He's already signed a pre-contract with the Pars so likely would not play against them (in case he ruins their play off chances) if he had gone to another club and I doubt Robbie would have him on the bench for us v Pars if he'd stayed.

Delay in this has probably been Pars having to agree to paying more of his wages

I can understand that - my my attitude is simple - feck Dunfermline and now feck Wighton!

10 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I can understand that - my my attitude is simple - feck Dunfermline and now feck Wighton!

Seems fair 😄.

Pars fans are worried about Dundee in the race for second and Rovers would be ecstatic with just making the play offs at all. For us it is just about keeping our eye on the ball!

Neil Dongcaster

Seems rife throughout the club. I’m sure other posters can name other occasions but Wighton has just outed Neilson for talking pish.

SectionDJambo

Who is to say that Wighton isn’t being economical with the truth?

Past experiences of players interviewed by newspapers doesn’t convince me to believe everything without hearing the same from a different, reliable source.

• davemclaren changed the title to Wighton signs pre-contract and goes on loan to Dunfermline then moans then scores 2 (title updated)