Wighton signs pre-contract and goes on loan to Dunfermline then moans then scores 2 (title updated)

upgotheheads

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• been here before

• GinRummy

• colinmaroon

Did he sign for anyone? If not kind of hoping we get him to Firhill on loan from our best friends in football to help us try and get out of league one, providing the football returns 

12 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Did he sign for anyone? If not kind of hoping we get him to Firhill on loan from our best friends in football to help us try and get out of league one, providing the football returns 

Na don’t think he sighed for anyone (yet) but think he would have done a good job for you guys.

Edited by One five

Set us on the way to another Hampden derby win, worked hard to improve himself this season and, who knows, may notch an important goal or two before he departs.

Best wishes to Craig.

Great news. Awful awful awful player.  Just awful.

Terrible piece of business from those in charge at our club - standard.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Great news. Awful awful awful player.  Just awful.

Terrible piece of business from those in charge at our club - standard.

He was ok this season as reserve striker. Certainly not a success overall though. 

I can see us having similar "Damn" thoughts in a couple of years, about Wighton as Aberdeen fans must've had about Lawrence Shankland...

Just now, Des Lynam said:

Lacks confidence and genuinely looks like he doesn’t enjoy playing. Hope he finds that inner belief.

I wish him all the best. 

Definitely exuded total lack of confidence; his body language was awful.

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I can see us having similar "Damn" thoughts in a couple of years, about Wighton as Aberdeen fans must've had about Lawrence Shankland...

Quite possibly!   But it's still the right move at present.

Gave his all, suffered bad injuries previous to joint Hearts and whilst with us. Levein and Macphee always threw him in against the old firm and was on a hiding to nothing. Scored important goals this year, raith in the cup, Arbroath away and Hibs in the semi final. Goes with my best wishes and hope he does have a good career! 

14 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Quite possibly!   But it's still the right move at present.

I think a good coach and a sports psychologist could sort him out in no time. It worries me how damaged some of the players were in the last few years - both physically and mentally. This was in fact the stated policy of the club to sign players who were better than their market value at the time of signing, because they were in some way damaged either physically or mentally -  it is like we were seeking a whole team of Larssons, Suttons and Hartsons -, yet the club didn't appear to have either the medical or the psychological resources to carry out the bloody policy!!!! Sean Clare said he had to go to a sports psychologist for help (perhaps someone knows if it was the club or Sean himself who recognised this?) and Levein spent his last few months reviewing the medical dept!!!!

Edited by Spellczech

husref musemic
11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'll eat my hat if I ever mutter those words. A championship player at best.

He's one of the reasons we are in the championship.

2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Gave his all, suffered bad injuries previous to joint Hearts and whilst with us. Levein and Macphee always threw him in against the old firm and was on a hiding to nothing. Scored important goals this year, raith in the cup, Arbroath away and Hibs in the semi final. Goes with my best wishes and hope he does have a good career! 

Also changed the result of the game against Alloa with 2 goals and a lovely wee assist for Boyce!

Good luck to him. Done his best but never seemed comfortable in maroon.  Not the standard that will get us challenging for Europe next year.

18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Wighton has done ok this season, but only ok. Seems like a good think for player and club for him to move on at the end of the season. He's a couple of years older than Shankland was when he left. It obviously possible but seems pretty unlikely that he'll make the kind of improvement Shankland has made since leaving Aberdeen. Even then Shankland is hardly setting the heather on fire now he has made it back to the Premiership. 

The very epitome of our dreadful recruitment in the last 5 years. Let’s hope we are through that period now.

Boy tried his best and did okay this season but this league is his level and we couldn’t take him back to the top league with us. He’s far from being the only one at the club who isn’t good enough for next season.

All the best to the laddie and thanks for getting me out of my seat headering that ball with you in the semi final.

1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

Wighton has done ok this season, but only ok. Seems like a good think for player and club for him to move on at the end of the season. He's a couple of years older than Shankland was when he left. It obviously possible but seems pretty unlikely that he'll make the kind of improvement Shankland has made since leaving Aberdeen. Even then Shankland is hardly setting the heather on fire now he has made it back to the Premiership. 

There’s a player there, but he completely lacks any sort of belief in himself or confidence.  Maybe he will really find his level at East End Park.

1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he has done enough to get an extension and I don't think he's been VFM. What I do think is that there is a player in there, but he has some problems which I'm questioning whether the club have helped him with...

18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

.... Levein spent his last few months reviewing the medical dept!!!! -

and the only difference I know of is the sexy physio left but I heard that was more down to Stendel...

Edited by Spellczech

Good luck and thanks for the goals this season.  Goal v Hibs was special and a bit of redemption for him after a shite few years.  

8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

and the only difference I know of is the sexy physio left but I heard that was more down to Stendel...

Really? 🤔... I wondered where she had gone.

59 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think a good coach and a sports psychologist could sort him out in no time. It worries me how damaged some of the players were in the last few years - both physically and mentally. This was in fact the stated policy of the club to sign players who were better than their market value at the time of signing, because they were in some way damaged either physically or mentally -  it is like we were seeking a whole team of Larssons, Suttons and Hartsons -, yet the club didn't appear to have either the medical or the psychological resources to carry out the bloody policy!!!! Sean Clare said he had to go to a sports psychologist for help (perhaps someone knows if it was the club or Sean himself who recognised this?) and Levein spent his last few months reviewing the medical dept!!!!

Talk about damaging players........................Levein..?

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I would be interested in the Clare answer.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

A very thought provoking post that I'm sure has an element of truth, sadly.

Hackney Hearts

Would I have paid that transfer fee just for the goal against Hibs in the semi....?

Yes, probably! (most of it's not my money though)

Scored a couple of other crackers, too. Wish him all the best, glad he improved this season, but it never really looked like it was going to be enough in the long term.

Kidd’s Boots

Best wishes to the lad for the future. Came back a different man after furlough and scored some very important goals this season which, for me, shows a real strength of character. I hope he continues his development with this move.

We could have allowed him to leave in the window

Safety first was the order of the day and a decision was made to retain him given we knew who he was planning to move to

The flak that we would have received had we allowed him to leave and he'd hit good form would have to have been seen to be believed

A small cost to bear but sadly the player will suffer as it will be hard to pick him for first team duty but who knows if he can convince the management of his application should he be required...maybe he can but it will still be difficult for him to get a squad place

A_A wehatethehibs

Gnando in Wighton out. That’s what you call strengthening a squad. Quality in, substandard shite out. 

Neilson the ideal manager for this football club, right man at the right time. He knows the standards required and is 1 by 1 axing those personnel he inherited that don’t meet those standards. Brought a few job-doers in for the promotion campaign, but we’re now managing the squad quality in an upwardly mobile direction with the nouse and support of Savage as well. Long may it continue. Zlamal, Damour, Berra, Halkett, Frear and possibly 1 or 2 others all for the axe come summer . 

Jamboscanbevicius
52 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Best wishes to the lad for the future. Came back a different man after furlough and scored some very important goals this season which, for me, shows a real strength of character. I hope he continues his development with this move.

This. Not easy to bounce back from where he was at 12 months ago. Fair play to him and good luck for the future!

Was never any way back for him after cameras caught Neilson being pissed off at him scoring a cracker v Raith in Diddy Cup. Obviously wasn't in RN's plans and gave him a wee headache. Good luck to CW, may still help us this season but looking less likely though. 

The right move. A pre-contract with Dunfermline is fine by me. Wouldn't have been happy if we'd allowed him to go right now just in case our form drops and they pick up points through any goals from him. The less pressure we put on ourselves the better.

Skivingatwork

I was genuinely excited when we signed this guy as thought he might flourish and kick on in a better team.

championship is his level and some might argue not even that given he’s struggled at times this season against some poor sides.

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Overawed at Hearts. He’ll probably do well at Dunfermline.

He really looks if he can't cut it with a big club and the pressure that goes with it. 

I think it's probably no coincidence that he has looked better this season, at least in part due to there being no crowds at the games. In his first couple of seasons, from my perspective, he looked to be visibly nervous in the maroon. The lack of crowds means less scrutiny and pressure on match day.

He has some decent attributes, he's reasonably quick, has a decent touch and has shown he can finish. Hope the move works out well for him.

section s heart

There wasn't enough about CW to justify a new contract. Not harsh to say he delivered nothing before this season, and while Neilson got more out of him this season, he looks destined to be bullied by defenders as long as he's in Scottish football. Can't see him coming back to haunt us, or Shankland coming back to haunt the sheep. 

Unfortunately most of the time when he did get game time, it wasn't  in his best position.  Showed that he could score goals when used properly, notably a hattrick against Raith in the League cup, a double against Ayr in the league, and THAT goal against Hibs in the Semi.  The two against Ayr were the difference between a 5-3 win and a 3-3 draw, and apart from Naisy I can't think of anyone else who has recently scored a hattrick for us.  as for the goal against Hibs, It was an excellent header.  I reckon Boyce has missed more sitters this season than Wighton. 

He's more than played an active  part in our season and doesn't deserve some of the  adverse comments that have regularly appeared on here. 

Good luck to him, and I hope his career kicks on next season. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Wighton signs pre-contract and goes on loan to Dunfermline then moans then scores 2 (title updated)