Popescu

BIG ECK

Really pleased for the lad yesterday as he strolled it. Also good to see so many acknowledge this on the Ratings v Raith match thread👍

Time to give the boy a run of games and then judge him properly.

You never know he may be half the solution to the CH position that we crave.

He really looked good last night, and I've never been a subscriber to the 'he's a bombscare' club.

Going by goals conceded per game he's our best CB (even before last night).

Needs a run to see if he's going to be worth keeping for next year.

His mobility going forward is pretty good and suits our style of play.

If he can get the defensive lapses sorted out he will be fine.

1 minute ago, Bunny Munro said:

He really looked good last night, and I've never been a subscriber to the 'he's a bombscare' club.

Going by goals conceded per game he's our best CB (even before last night).

Needs a run to see if he's going to be worth keeping for next year.

He was aggressive, dominating on the ground as well as in the air, was extremely composed on the ball while displaying a large degree of skill.

Whats not to like and encourage in the coming matches.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

In a different league to Berra. As much as I think he is better defensively than Berra, its when we've got the ball that you see the real difference. Teams know that you can leave Berra and he'll never be able to pick a decent pass to anyone in maroon and in all likelihood the ball will end up out the park. Popescu has the confidence and ability to step out with the ball and pick a pass, and teams know this so are forced to come and meet him. Opens up space for Irving in the middle to get on the ball and work his magic, as evidenced by the second half of the game at the weekend and last night.

2 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Yip, very mobile but makes reckless decisions occasionally. 

On last nights showing alone he looks like our best option at Centerhalf. As said above though. he needs to show that everyweek to justify that. 

Regardless of how he does, we still need to sign a top notch Centerhalf. 

The Natural Order

I remember a time on here when Big Zal was a "bombscare". Turned out not bad at all.

There's a player in Popescu and if he can settle he'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

On last nights showing alone he looks like our best option at Centerhalf. As said above though. he needs to show that everyweek to justify that. 

Regardless of how he does, we still need to sign a top notch Centerhalf. 

Totally agree a new CB is a must but maybe just maybe Popescu may be his sidekick?

With a little confidence who knows eh!!

When he beat the 2 men and then played the chipped pass it certainly showed awareness and ability, as others have said it is maybe decision making that can let him down a little. However as the team get used to playing with him, the full back or defensive midfielder should drop to cover him when he does that. Reminiscent of Big Slim's forward gallops.

I thought he did well last night but a couple of things stick in my mind (aside from the fact he didn't have much to do defensively last night) -

Good - one example in the first half when he showed great skill on the half way line, beat two players , played a forward pass and we nearly scored. Two passes. A good chance created. 

Bad - first half,  a nothing ball was played from Raith's right side diagonally over the CBs - him & Halkett were all over the place. 

If he can sort out the defensive side he might have a great season ahead of him. 

Great game for him last night.  Under the pressure of taking another head knock.  🤕 Will be a different game on Saturday , will have to deal with more aerial challenges.   If we keep the ball though that will lessen that threat.   He's got the quality to play the passes and keep composure.   Quite vocal as well, positively vocal, not shouting like a madman.   

I like him.  👍 

Think it helped him switching sides with Halkett. Playing on the right of the two when he’s right footed helped him. Also very notable to see that he plays a part in the first goal with the players being confident enough to pass the ball to him and him being able to pass the ball back along the ground. 

RustyRightPeg

I didn’t see too much wrong with his performances and thought he was particularly unlucky to find himself out the side for as long as he has. Yes Dunfermline was a shocker, but it was for the whole team that night.

Pleased he’s back in as I also feel his range of passing is streaks ahead of curly toe Berra and allows us to sometimes miss out the midfield and hit Boyce’s feet quicker. 

Him and Berra will swap around all season I'd imagine. Was only recently Popescu was getting slated and Berra praised.

Reality is both are adequate for this season but not good enough for next, imo of course.

11 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

I remember a time on here when Big Zal was a "bombscare". Turned out not bad at all.

Hopefully. If he can stop the casual mistakes and giving the ball away on forward runs, leaving us exposed at the back.

32 minutes ago, BIG ECK said:

Really pleased for the lad yesterday as he strolled it. Also good to see so many acknowledge this on the Ratings v Raith match thread👍

Time to give the boy a run of games and then judge him properly.

You never know he may be half the solution to the CH position that we crave.

Was that the first  league game that it’s been him and Halkett together? 

If he can be coached to just defend sometimes and not dribble it up the park I think he can be a player for us. Don’t think his actual defending is the problem just what he does after winning the ball. 

Edited by Dazo

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
19 minutes ago, Dazo said:

If he can be coached to just defend sometimes and not dribble it up the park I think he can be a player for us. Don’t think his actual defending is the problem just what he does after winning the ball. 

Funny that, I think his best attribute is what he does with the ball.

Hard to fully judge him on last night as the defensive pressure was just about zero. However when he came on last Saturday I thought he improved us, albeit he lost the ball in midfield for the 3rd goal. Didn’t think he deserved to be put in storage in the first place and I rate him ahead of Berra. Not sure what Berra’s injury situation is but playing Popescu for a while is a good thing anyway IMO. Berra is finished and if we can replace him without buying then so much the better

Edited by JimmyCant

42 minutes ago, BIG ECK said:

Totally agree a new CB is a must but maybe just maybe Popescu may be his sidekick?

With a little confidence who knows eh!!

Possibly. Depends how he does over the rest of this season. Next season will see our defence tested week in, week out. 

Weakened Offender
46 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

Very good comparison. 

Poepescu strolled past two players last night before pinging a peach to Walker who should have scored. There's a player there. 

Popescu maybe needs a younger Berra or Webster type there to hold his hand 

Halkett ain’t it. Especially with limited protection in front

If we could get a switched on CB to play with him he could work out fine

I think people have been too quick to judge Popescu. He clearly likes to play football rather than just lump it up front. Maybe a bit over confident at times, but if he can tighten up and make sure he's at it when it comes to defending, then I reckon he could be a very useful player for us.

Just now, busby1985 said:

Think it helped him switching sides with Halkett. Playing on the right of the two when he’s right footed helped him. Also very notable to see that he plays a part in the first goal with the players being confident enough to pass the ball to him and him being able to pass the ball back along the ground. 

This is it for me. I'd said on another post a few days ago that with him being naturally right-sided he should be on the Souttar side, not the Berra side. Halkett appears more comfortable on the left, being two-footed helps but the situation as it is with Berra out should see Popescu playing on the right side for the rest of the season. If Souttar can get back up to speed there's no reason why Popescu can't be his back-up. It's really the left side that's needing sorted. A solid left-footed central defender should be a priority. Halkett is one of those types that can fit in when he needs and a handy back-up. Let's hope we can source a leftie central defender as soon as possible. Come home Jimmy Dunne! (joking!)

17 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Funny that, I think his best attribute is what he does with the ball.

Don't get me wrong he is very comfy on the ball but he needs to pick his moment’s. 

Never really saw much wrong with him in the first place - maybe a bit clumsy if anything - but I've always thought he'd be a better shout than Berra. Hopefully he keeps the momentum going and keeps his place in the team ahead of Berra. Halkett looked nervous last night and made a couple of silly mistakes, but hopefully this settles as the two of them get some games together. I'd still sign a centre back if there's a good option available to us, because I think Berra is completely done at Hearts - even as a sub. We should have kept young Petkov around and used him as backup this season. 

I hope he's not dropped after one mistake and told he didn't take his chance just to put Berra back in.

Not Berra bashing, just want a bit of fairness for the guy.

Kidd’s Boots

I've always felt that he's come in for some over the top criticism, and given the same opportunity in the team as others have enjoyed this season, he will provide a more solid option defensively and in an attacking sense. Looks for passes to feet, very mobile and in 2 games against Raith, dominated their striker in arial battles. If Armand hadn't lept to dizzying heights for his 2nd last night, Popescu was in at the back post virtually unmarked to score. Needs a run of games to prove his worth to some quarters imo.

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I didn’t see too much wrong with his performances and thought he was particularly unlucky to find himself out the side for as long as he has. Yes Dunfermline was a shocker, but it was for the whole team that night.

Pleased he’s back in as I also feel his range of passing is streaks ahead of curly toe Berra and allows us to sometimes miss out the midfield and hit Boyce’s feet quicker. 

Think he was made a bit of a scapegoat for the Dunfermline game actually.

Bazzas right boot

Reminds me of a young Zal. 

Easy on the eye, good on the ball but prone to mistakes. Too many at one point. 

Zal matured tho and cut out most of the brain farts over time. 

I think Zal was also a bit more commanding and aggressive tho, something you need for Scottish football. 

1 hour ago, Busby8 said:

This.

18 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Some serious reverse parking on this thread.

I think the difference with his performans last night was that when he had his little forays forward with the ball they were on or aroung the halfway line because we played a much higher line.

On Saturday he was doing the same thing just outside our box and losing the ball.

Looked a different player last night from Saturday.

Berra is a better defender for clearing his lines, Popescu is far better with the ball at his feet and distributing it.  A combination of both would be lovely.

I don't think we should get over excited though.  That's the first game he's looked so good and Raith done nothing.

53 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not from me as I always felt he had hardly had time to take his coat off before some have him prosecuted without a fair trial.

All supporters do it but it’s morally wrong.

2 hours ago, Busby8 said:

All about concentration.

He was excellent last night.

45 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

Berra is a better defender for clearing his lines, Popescu is far better with the ball at his feet and distributing it.  A combination of both would be lovely.

I don't think we should get over excited though.  That's the first game he's looked so good and Raith done nothing.

Partly because he had Duku in his pocket and he was commanding in the air.  I'm in the "keep the bandage on" brigade.

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Partly because he had Duku in his pocket and he was commanding in the air.  I'm in the "keep the bandage on" brigade.

He will have his good games and bad games.

He is more of a footballer than Berra, but then who isn't?

Even when he came in on Sat, Popescu had a few glaring lapses. Him and Berra will do this season as will Halket, we need  to look at the individuals and the mix for next season tho.

None of the defenders collectively fill me with confidence atm.

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

One game you’re a hero, the next a villain. Always been the way in football. 

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

One game you’re a hero, the next a villain. Always been the way in football. 

Especially with us dave.