Ratings v Raith Rovers

colinmaroon

17 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree. Hard to put into words how bad Raith were and how little they threatened last night.

For a team that 3 days before had won against us, very strange, looked a complete different outfit.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

For a team that 3 days before had won against us, very strange, looked a complete different outfit.

They must have been tired. They have not had much training as far as I am aware which made Saturdays result even more embarrassing.

I enjoyed their commentary on Raith TV, they were very fair and complimentary to Hearts.

On Saturday they looked and played like a team that were desperate for a game having not played for a while. Came out the traps flying and the adrenaline flowed. We thought we could just stroll it and got caught out badly!

8 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They must have been tired. They have not had much training as far as I am aware which made Saturdays result even more embarrassing.

I enjoyed their commentary on Raith TV, they were very fair and complimentary to Hearts.

We should offer the Raith tv team a pre contract. I didn't watch last nights coverage, but has always been a class above other teams.

45 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Do hearts not get any credit for that ? Playing well can make teams look poor. 

Seems like whenever we win it’s because the opposition are shite. 

Our high line and press was too much for them. We nullified their game plan and imposed ours. We played at a high tempo and they literally couldn't get near us, they were chasing shadows. It was as close to a complete performance from us as we've had in a long time. Raith were shite because we made them look shite. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Delighted with that result. Didn't watch the game but from what I heard on the radio Irving pulled all the strings yet again. Can't wait to be back in my seat at Tynie watching him spray balls about with GMS and Gino running at defenders. 

9 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I’ll obviously be going against the grain here but I didn’t think it was a particularly great performance (I know, I know, we scored four goals).

RR were shite, as shown by the fact that they didn’t have a single shot at goal. I thought we were still pretty pedestrian in our play, especially in the second half.

You think it wasn't a particularly great performance because the opposition didn't have a single shot at goal?

9 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I’ll obviously be going against the grain here but I didn’t think it was a particularly great performance (I know, I know, we scored four goals).

RR were shite, as shown by the fact that they didn’t have a single shot at goal. I thought we were still pretty pedestrian in our play, especially in the second half.

I still think we lack a sense of injustice (as to what happened last season) in our play. Getting beaten by RR on Saturday was bad enough, I wanted them put to the sword tonight. Although we scored 4, with more application and desire we could have had a cricket score.  

We played against a team that had played one game in weeks, the game they beat us in on Saturday. RR tonight looked like a team that were playing their second game in four days after not having played for weeks previously. They went down to ten men and looked a beaten and demoralised side, totally different from the outfit that turned up at Tynecastle on Saturday.

I not going to slate the team for a 4-0 win, but in the same breath I’ll not be going overboard about what was, a professional but by no means spectacular performance, despite the score.

Teams only play as well as we allow them to. A complete sea change to Saturday in my opinion. We played well and would probably have scored quite a few more if it had not been for some good goalkeeping by JM and bad luck. I’ll be looking for more of the same on Saturday.

Edited by Deevers
Typo

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Do hearts not get any credit for that ? Playing well can make teams look poor. 

Seems like whenever we win it’s because the opposition are shite. 

Raith looked decent both times they came to Tynie, was quite surprised how good a football side they were. Add in our generally poor form in away matches - this was quite a turn-around given the result of the previous match just 3 days before. 

Yeah we could have scored more but we restricted the home side to zero shots, tidying up our issues in defence, midfield and attack. Not a bad evening's work.

59 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

You think it wasn't a particularly great performance because the opposition didn't have a single shot at goal?

You might want to read my post again. There was a bit more to it than that, in fact the point you’ve picked up on was pretty way down my list as to why I didn’t think it was a particularly great performance.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Our high line and press was too much for them. We nullified their game plan and imposed ours. We played at a high tempo and they literally couldn't get near us, they were chasing shadows. It was as close to a complete performance from us as we've had in a long time. Raith were shite because we made them look shite. 

I think Raith were shite because they were running on empty from Saturday. But I agree we were miles better than we were on Saturday.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

They knew they were getting a shafting before the game even kicked off. 

Hopefully another shafting to be dished out on Saturday.

👍

11 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Ahhhhhh!!  A Mazy Davy run 🥰🥰

Remember big ee-awwws runs! Magic!

Edited by Rogue Daddy

22 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think Raith were shite because they were running on empty from Saturday. But I agree we were miles better than we were on Saturday.

I’ve watched Saturdays game again. The energy levels from RR on Saturday were night and day compared to last night. Given they also went down to ten men that made the situation even worse. There is no doubt that two games in quick succession, after a long lay off, had them knackered.

That said. I don’t think anyone is saying they aren’t happy with the result, but let’s not get carried away with the performance. IMO it was what I would have expected against RR. We were professional. We looked more motivated and put in more effort. To me that is a minimum requirement for a Hearts team, especially given the events of last season. We have a better quality of player and that was evident last night. The same certainly cannot be said for Saturday (so much so that numerous posters were vocal about wanting to sign some RR players).

I personally think we should be holding these players to last nights level of performance as a minimum in this league. That doesn’t mean we’ll score for goals every game but the motivation, effort and application shown last night should be shown every game, and not seen as a great performance due to being shite four days previous.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

Hackney Hearts
12 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Kingsley 8 - ran at the opposition more tonight, very good performance.

This! 8.5

Love watching him bomb forward like he did tonight - cutting inside/outside/inside at full tilt. 

I tend to agree with a couple of posters, despite the 4-0 victory it was a pretty measured performance with a great deal of tippy tappy stuff along the backline. Having said that RR did have everyone behind the ball and we had to be patient to feel for the gaps. Most of the probing came from Irving and there was one glorious thru ball to GMS in the 2nd half. My dodgy stream made identifying players hard and I couldn't say with any authority how Walker or Halliday played. GMS needs a game or two to be up to speed, same with big Nando, but 2 goals is a great return for someone who hasn't played for a month. Poppescu was a huge improvement on recent form. Lets see how we do with a team who come at us a bit more.

Heart of Darkness
1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Remember big ee-awwws runs! Magic!

Ball wouldn't always end up where he intended 😊😊 but always took the pressure away from that area and was a joy to watch with everyone going waaaaay!! as he zigged zagged up the pitch.

Great times. ♥️

2 hours ago, Deans Jambo said:

On Saturday they looked and played like a team that were desperate for a game having not played for a while. Came out the traps flying and the adrenaline flowed. We thought we could just stroll it and got caught out badly!

My thoughts exactly on both your points Deans - our attitude wasn't right till the third went in.

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I personally think we should be holding these players to last nights level of performance as a minimum in this league. That doesn’t mean we’ll score four goals every game but the motivated, effort and application shown last night should be shown every game. 

I think if we show the motivation, effort and application from last night we actually WOULD score a minimum of four goals in every game in this league.  We've put 6 past Dundee and QOS, 5 past Ayr without coming close to the sustained application of last night, so we know where the bar is set. Dunfermline game will be quite revealing.

Bazzas right boot

What is clear some Posters are that entrenched in thier dislike for Robbie/Ann they can't take any joy from Hearts anymore. 

Top of the league - should be. 

Scoring 3 goals/ game on average- pub teams. 

Win a game 4-0 away - opposition we're shite. 

Hearts get beat or in some cases only win narrowly - Robbie oot, Ann oot, happy clappers are the problem, loser mentality. 

These Folk are surely on the wind up? 

It's a ****ing mental way to "support" your team. 

51 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They couldn't get out of their own half cause of our press and they couldn't get near the ball when we were in possession because we were playing at a high tempo. We didn't give them a sniff. 

The red card obviously gave us a bit more space and made it more difficult for them but if it wasn't for some poor finishing on our part, we could have won that game 8-0 at least. Walker, Halliday, Henderson and Boyce missed sitters. 

If we played in that manner every game this season, we'd have probably won them all and no one would be complaining. Which kind of makes our previous performances even worse because we were capable of that level of performance all along. 

Hopefully the start of things to come. 

the stats from the BBC for last night. No doubt how dominant we were.

Home TeamRaith RoversAway TeamHearts
Possession
Home33%
Away67%
Shots
Home0
Away21
Shots on Target
Home0
Away13
Corners
Home1
Away11
Fouls
Home8
Away8

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What is clear some Posters are that entrenched in thier dislike for Robbie/Ann they can't take any joy from Hearts anymore. 

Hearts get beat or in some cases only win narrowly - Robbie oot, Ann oot, happy clappers are the problem, loser mentality. 

Some people take defeat a lot worse than others, its that simple.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Harry Potter said:

Some also seem to take winning worse than others..... 

On here there are those who take a win far worse than others! 😜

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

I don't think that. Was simply imitating every poster foe the whole season who has been saying these things as recently as last week.

One bad game, you are the worst who's ever played. One good game and you are the next legend.

Try some emojis then as it wasn't that clear you were attempt sarcasm. :qqb003:

37 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

That is the question.

34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Right on cue here comes Comical Ali to tell us we’re Barcelona.

Maybe we should all be supporters like you, steadfastly standing behind a manager who had us dropping like a stone. The same manager who organised the club in such a shambolic way that it’s being dismantled. Or maybe we should all want our bitter rivals to win their first Scottish Cup in one hundred and odd years?

If it’s all the same with you I’ll set my expectation at a level I hope the club will strive to meet. No dislike of anyone, just wanting Hearts to consistently perform at a level they have shown we are capable of.

bobby bombscare
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I know it will sound crazy.. but i think the biggest differences were Popescu on the right side of the CH pairing and dropping Naisy for Jamie Walker. Who, despite everyone's criticisms has been one of the standout performers against Alloa and Raith. I am a bit confused as to why he was dropped for Saturday to be honest?

I know he can be inconsistent but he seems to be showing a run of form where he has been on the assists and getting himself into scoring opportunities. Against alloa he was involved in the goals, gave the alloa defenders a fair bit of trouble and he gave Raith a fair bit of trouble when he was subbed on for Saturday. He was the same last night. What i don't understand is how much folk get on his back when he performs well. I Know he's infuriating because of his inconsistency, but folk seem to give him a harder time when he has a good game, it's really strange! For me though, if he's hitting a run of form and match sharpness i think keep playing him and the goals will come!

bobby bombscare
10 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Right on cue here comes Comical Ali to tell us we’re Barcelona.

Maybe we should all be supporters like you, steadfastly standing behind a manager who had us dropping like a stone. The same manager who organised the club in such a shambolic way that it’s being dismantled. Or maybe we should all want our bitter rivals to win their first Scottish Cup in one hundred and odd years?

If it’s all the same with you I’ll set my expectation at a level I hope the club will strive to meet. No dislike of anyone, just wanting Hearts to consistently perform at a level they have shown we are capable of.

I don't get it though, we're top of the league and look like we will win it by a clear margin. What use would robbie walking now do? You'd just bring in another manager who comes in when the transfer window is shut and has to work with players he doesn't want for 6months. More likely to throw the league doing that than leaving robbie in place. I mean i could understand it in the summer (although i don't agree with it), just can't understand it now. There seems to be no logic in it. Why bring a manager in now? A new manager would likely want a clear out anyway so you just have a boy coming in to try and change the style of football to suit his ideals and using players he doesn't want to do it. 

I'm just thankful that the fans arent in charge of the hiring firing or we'd be either in league 3 or bust.

9 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

I don't get it though, we're top of the league and look like we will win it by a clear margin. What use would robbie walking now do? You'd just bring in another manager who comes in when the transfer window is shut and has to work with players he doesn't want for 6months. More likely to throw the league doing that than leaving robbie in place. I mean i could understand it in the summer (although i don't agree with it), just can't understand it now. There seems to be no logic in it. Why bring a manager in now? A new manager would likely want a clear out anyway so you just have a boy coming in to try and change the style of football to suit his ideals and using players he doesn't want to do it. 

I'm just thankful that the fans arent in charge of the hiring firing or we'd be either in league 3 or bust.

My point was about not sharing the same excitement as others about last nights performance. Apparently having an expectation - as standard - of the motivation and effort makes me less of a fan than others, which I am perfectly comfortable with by the way.

bobby bombscare
3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

My point was about not sharing the same excitement as others about last nights performance. Apparently having an expectation - as standard - of the motivation and effort makes me less of a fan than others, which I am perfectly comfortable with by the way.

i get what you mean and it would be great to be able to acheive the level of performances a club of our size should. but i think that we need to be realistic. Some of these boys from the CL era just won't cut it and we can't afford to pay off their contract and can't afford to replace them. So I compare this season to the mess we had last season. In the attacking third, we are far better than we were previously. We have showed this not only in the championship but in cup games against good opposition too. The midfield has improved on last season and you can see that players from here are slowly being weeded out as and when it's possible. Hopefully with better players replacing them. The defence has not been greatly improved, with Kingsley coming in to fill the void left by Hickey and another injury blow for Souttar meaning we overall haven't really improved on this. But i was impressed with Popescu yesterday, getting to play on the right for once. He looked fairly solid! But his area definitely still needs attention!

The standards i have for Hearts are far higher than where we are just now. But we aren't in the position to just pay off all the contracts and do a complete squad overhaul. So i think we're moving in the right direction (considering last season, raith almost beat us at Tynie 1-0  with a squad costing about double the current one). Because unlike last season we can score goals, unlike last season we can dominate teams and unlike last season we can actually win games and keep clean sheets once in a while. Defence still isn't good enough and still need to clear players out and bring new ones in. We also should have done far better with the games against Dunfermline, Dundee and Raith. But at the end of the day, we're moving in the right direction considering this will essentially be a ground up rebuild of everything from the first team, to the coaches, to the academy, to the sports science etc. 

Quite happy with how we played, how Walker and Boyce didn’t score more was unfortunate because they had good chances. Big question makes over Henderson and Halliday is still not doing enough for the team and for Andy Irving. Looking forward to watching Hearts on Saturday and getting revenge over Dunfermline.

Niemi’s gloves

I didn’t see the game last night but was surprised to see people rating Popescu so highly. But having seen the highlights, I get it now. The lad was wearing that big white bandage!! I wonder how often players play well but go largely unnoticed because they are physically anonymous?

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Bit of that on both sides of the coin to be fair Tosh. 

17 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

I'm sorry, but he's the worst signing we've ever made. All our central defence is dogshit.  

Worst signing ever?  He's not even in the worst 5 defenders we've signed.  Tod, James, Petric, the Brazilian who played at East End Park and Barasa off the top of my head all spring to mind.

17 hours ago, Gambo said:

That many chances on goal tonight I forgot his goal 😄

He, he, but he was not the only one.