need help

Sharpie

I tried to sync my wifes I Pad to my Imac.  Since then I have had nothing but problems, instead of getting my I mac to the I pad I seem to have done the opposite. I have now lost my e mails. I don't seem to be able to find a way to restore everything, on my PC I would do a reboot and that was it, but I Mac doesn't seem to just reboot. I suppose the answer is to take it somewhere and have it reprogrammed, of course I am also worried I may have been hacked. The only clue I have is that ev rything seems to be to the old information on the I Pad, I thought I could just somehow cancel the sync, but it does not tell how to do that. I bought the I mac in my daughters memory, as she was always telling me I should get an Apple product because they never got hacked and were the best, well Deb that hasn't worked out for Dad.

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I tried to sync my wifes I Pad to my Imac.  Since then I have had nothing but problems, instead of getting my I mac to the I pad I seem to have done the opposite. I have now lost my e mails. I don't seem to be able to find a way to restore everything, on my PC I would do a reboot and that was it, but I Mac doesn't seem to just reboot. I suppose the answer is to take it somewhere and have it reprogrammed, of course I am also worried I may have been hacked. The only clue I have is that ev rything seems to be to the old information on the I Pad, I thought I could just somehow cancel the sync, but it does not tell how to do that. I bought the I mac in my daughters memory, as she was always telling me I should get an Apple product because they never got hacked and were the best, well Deb that hasn't worked out for Dad.

Bob, I doubt you’ve been hacked, especially with Apple kit. I’m not an Apple expert but you should have wiped the iPad then restored it from your iCloud account using your signon, I think. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Bob, I doubt you’ve been hacked, especially with Apple kit. I’m not an Apple expert but you should have wiped the iPad then restored it from your iCloud account using your signon, I think. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Bob im hopeless with these things but my wife and son in law are quite good PM me please and I will get them to call you and see what they can do. In the meantime I will show them your message and see what they think. Youve been through a lot Bob but still have been a good friend to us on Kickback.If we can't help then get a computer shop to give you an estimate to fix and I will go halters This has a great emotional meaning to you Its not just another piece of electrical goods

All the Best Im sure we can get it fixed

Everything else is working fine I have to go out tomorrow anyway so I will take it in to the store I bought it and let them see it. I am sure some of you must be thinking jeez to think somebody used to pay him to carry a gun.😄

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I agree I don't think he's been hacked.

You speak as though Apple stuff is un-hackable though, when it's easier to hack IOS than it is Windows or Android. 

4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I agree I don't think he's been hacked.

You speak as though Apple stuff is un-hackable though, when it's easier to hack IOS than it is Windows or Android. 

I never said it was un-hackable but the consensus is still that ios/Mac are considerably safer than Android/Windows, for several reasons. Bob’s stated actions and symptoms don’t point to a hack to me. 

Either way I hope Bob finds a solution. 

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I never said it was un-hackable but the consensus is still that ios/Mac are considerably safer than Android/Windows, for several reasons. Bob’s stated actions and symptoms don’t point to a hack to me. 

I think Bob's computers fine. There's only one reason that Mac's could be considered safer and that's because there are less people inclined to target them. If someone wanted to hack a specific person then a Mac would be easier to hack.

9 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I think Bob's computers fine. There's only one reason that Mac's could be considered safer and that's because there are less people inclined to target them. If someone wanted to hack a specific person then a Mac would be easier to hack.

Thanks for the interest guys, I suspect it is not a hack as the only thing that seems to be affected is my e mails. I got this I Mac exactly a year ago, prior to that I had a PC ,Windows etc. Thats what Esthers I Pad worked on, our daughter sent it to us as a birthday gift so we could Face Time when she was in Ireland. That PC started to go strange and had problems so I dumped it and went to I Mac. Now in my present life circumstance although busier in some ways I have more time on my hands which I use to cause myself problems as I am always looking for something to do.  I thought I will sync my computer to the I Pad then I can sit while I am watching TV and play around with the I pad.  What I guess happened is I got a reverse of what I wanted and downloaded the old program for Windows etc that was on the Pad to my I mac, and it has taken over the whole thing.  I guess what I am going to ask when I take it in to the repair shop is get it out of my I mac, shouldn't be a big job for someone who knows what they are doing.    

I guess I am a bit like Johnny Cash says, soon to be another year older and deeper in stupid, I have learned a lot in my life but never to stop trying more than I know, and suffering nuisance because of it. The fact is I know nothing about computers, and in days gone past they would have cut off my fingers so I could not do any more damage, but I have learned one thing, "this too shall pass".

scott herbertson
33 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thanks for the interest guys, I suspect it is not a hack as the only thing that seems to be affected is my e mails. I got this I Mac exactly a year ago, prior to that I had a PC ,Windows etc. Thats what Esthers I Pad worked on, our daughter sent it to us as a birthday gift so we could Face Time when she was in Ireland. That PC started to go strange and had problems so I dumped it and went to I Mac. Now in my present life circumstance although busier in some ways I have more time on my hands which I use to cause myself problems as I am always looking for something to do.  I thought I will sync my computer to the I Pad then I can sit while I am watching TV and play around with the I pad.  What I guess happened is I got a reverse of what I wanted and downloaded the old program for Windows etc that was on the Pad to my I mac, and it has taken over the whole thing.  I guess what I am going to ask when I take it in to the repair shop is get it out of my I mac, shouldn't be a big job for someone who knows what they are doing.    

I guess I am a bit like Johnny Cash says, soon to be another year older and deeper in stupid, I have learned a lot in my life but never to stop trying more than I know, and suffering nuisance because of it. The fact is I know nothing about computers, and in days gone past they would have cut off my fingers so I could not do any more damage, but I have learned one thing, "this too shall pass".

Bob - I'm 64 and increasingly computers and television remote controls have become like the Devil's Work in the Middle Ages to me  - magical things that only my wife and children can decipher.

I agree that keeping on trying new things is the way to stay alive (cue Bee Gees music) but I decided a while ago that simply handing the tech over to those for whom it is not a complete mystery was the efficient way to free my brain to do more useful things (drinking beer and watching the football) . 

I'd go for the advice (and very kind offer) from Otterjohn if the computer shop can't help.

Best of luck

Scott

On 26/01/2021 at 01:30, davemclaren said:

I did in fact find a solution Dave, I went to the Admin after messing around myself and again you took care of me and got me back to JKB successfully, I really appreciate that. 

I went to a computer repair shop on Monday, a real nice young guy looked after me, when he was working on the computer he saw some of the pictures and my wife and I were in them,  I responded to some of his comments and told him about my wifes passing. I mentioned my e mails were my problem and when I said Google he sort of smiled and gave a wee shake of his head,I got the impression Google were not high on his list. He worked and got everything going but unfortunately what he had to do caused erasure of some of my programs, including JKB. I was stupid and as I had told him during my  venture into Apple I had been involved in other things and had failed to write down passwords. So when he renewed my Google account that was when I lost the programs. He said I would just have to create new ones and be sure to record all I had done.

At the start of our interview he had told me there was an immediate fee of  $40.00, so when we finished I pulled out my card and asked the total he said no its on the house, just if you are in the store Best Buy, just look in and say Hi. I have messed around doing my thing for a couple of days now, I was having a problem with JKB and today St David stepped in and came to my rescue again, I have played this damsel in distress so often I think I could get the part in a movie, the only problem might be my lack of hair on my  head for the pigtails.

I spoke to my son last night and was telling him my story and he was saying he heard on Tv that Google were having a problem.   

All is well now, I just seem to be finding that I don't deal with problems so easy anymore, between Covid and everything else it just seems if anything can go wrong it does, but I have a good Scots tongue and no qualms about asking for help, which I got lots of right on this thread, my heartfelt thanks to you all.

J.T.F.Robertson

Glad you're sorted, Bob. Believe me and if it's any consolation, I'm more clueless than you ever are and don't anticipate becoming more clued-in any time soon.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson