Jenners to close

Tazio

As per the title of the thread. 
Closing in May as Fraser’s and the owners can’t agree on the rent. Really sad to see an Edinburgh institution vanish, despite being a shadow of its former self since Fraser’s took over. 

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/jenners-department-store-to-close-with-loss-of-200-jobs?fbclid=IwAR2CXkB2aYYbn1fQzUJjw0TPurQFqQOyTW6jjd8bHtpXbdABQB0SVJhsb68

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• felix

• ArcticJambo

• Cade

• FWJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

How many people will be out of a job there?

200 according to the article. It had better reopen at some point as I need to exchange my mum’s Christmas present! 

Just now, Tazio said:

200 according to the article. It had better reopen at some point as I need to exchange my mum’s Christmas present! 

That's terrible. Worst possible time to lose your job. 

ALL Debenhams stores are also closing, with the loss of 12,000 jobs.

Retail is dead and has been on the way out for about two decades. Covid was just the final nail in the coffin.

27 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

That's terrible. Worst possible time to lose your job. 

Tell me about it. Was laid off at Christmas. Had my fortnightly phone interview on Thursday with job centre folk. It lasted a grand total of 1 minute 52 seconds and consisted of him apologising for half of it because things are so bad. 

Just now, Norm said:

Tell me about it. Was laid off at Christmas. Had my fortnightly phone interview on Thursday with job centre folk. It lasted a grand total of 1 minute 52 seconds and consisted of him apologising for half of it because things are so bad. 

Gutted for you mate and I really mean it. I have had a horrendous last year or two but my only saving grace has been that I still have my job ( for now ).

Hope you land on your feet and get something soon. I think for me right now a loss of employment would tip me over the edge.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Gutted for you mate and I really mean it. I have had a horrendous last year or two but my only saving grace has been that I still have my job ( for now ).

Hope you land on your feet and get something soon. I think for me right now a loss of employment would tip me over the edge.

I'm throwing myself in to homeschooling with the kids, which kind of keeps me occupied. But with the kids off school and the wife a key worker, I need to either find a job that is also a key worker role or one that involves working evenings. 

However, when even the job centre guy is saying sorry for the lack of work, you know things are bleak. 

We saved up a bit of cash during the initial lockdown so we're not in an emergency situation yet but I reckon another 2, maybe 3 months tops before everything is gone and we're in the shit. 

manaliveits105

Our own fault I suppose - liked going there but how many times - probably less than once a year but it is an Edinburgh institution and will be missed . Many older ladies will miss meeting up there for tea and scones.Hopefully something tasteful will replace it if its not taken over.

Sadly it is a continuation of the demise of Princes Street. It is awash with mobile phone shops and quasi Scottish outlets that ply their trade  selling rubbish to unwary tourists. Giving my age away but I recall when  Princes Street had stylish and sophisticated stores which have been replaced by budget retailers .At least we have the magnificent splendor of the gardens and castle opposite  Supply and demand together with a sign of the times

Not really gone into Jenners for a couple of years really but it'll be sad to see it go. Always reminds me of hunting for Star Wars figures as a kid. Had a great toy dept.

Edited by neilnunb

Yet another victory for Amazon as we head even closer to the monopoly utopia our governments are clearly desperate for.

SectionDJambo

Princes Street is a much changed place from when I first had to walk along it to work in the early 70s. All kinds of quality shops.

George Street as well. Filled with financial institutions back then. Newington and the High Street, once attractive areas, taken over by cheap rubbish shops.
Edinburgh Council has a lot to answer for over it’s lack of real interest in how the city centre looks. As long as they can screw businesses for excessive rates/council tax, they’re happy. 
My mother once told me that the first thing that made an impression on her, after travelling over from post war Germany to marry my father who was home from army service, was the magnificent sight of Princes Street as she came out of Waverley Station.

It is sad how this once grand street has been decimated over fairly recent years.

3 shops I used regularly.

M&S,Next and Debenhams.

Now down to two

Still I use Amazon a lot more than any store though

For some reason I have never used online shopping for M&S and Next.

Is this new news or just an update?  I thought the closure of Jenners was confirmed last year if not earlier.

I have to say I've been in a couple of times and really wasn't impressed.

Edited by frankblack

18 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Princes Street is a much changed place from when I first had to walk along it to work in the early 70s. All kinds of quality shops.

George Street as well. Filled with financial institutions back then. Newington and the High Street, once attractive areas, taken over by cheap rubbish shops.
Edinburgh Council has a lot to answer for over it’s lack of real interest in how the city centre looks. As long as they can screw businesses for excessive rates/council tax, they’re happy. 
My mother once told me that the first thing that made an impression on her, after travelling over from post war Germany to marry my father who was home from army service, was the magnificent sight of Princes Street as she came out of Waverley Station.

It is sad how this once grand street has been decimated over fairly recent years.

Princes Street has been decimated from the 50s onwards with some horrendous architecture replacing far better buildings.

From a shopping experience I'm not the target market for the stuff on there, but when you see pound shops opening on it you know the game is up.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I thought they were turning it into hotel, though now thinking might have made it up. 

No there was a rumour some danish billionaire of something was going to turn it into something like that. Not much business in hospitality atm though sadly so that will likely get binned or shelved indefinitely. 
If there was any truth in that is. 

17 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Prime retail streets across the country are being decimated - Princes Street's demise shouldn't be blamed on the council. If we stopped buying online, High Streets might  make a comeback  !

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

For once I don’t think you can really blame any particular council the high street is dead everywhere. It’s a concern where everyone gets any meaningful employment though. 

Used to visit Jenners with mates at Christmas time when we were teenagers. 

Basically just to muck about in the toy department until politely asked to leave.

We made a serious attempt one year to remove the giant lego mans head.

Edited by Der Kaiser

SectionDJambo
15 minutes ago, felix said:

Prime retail streets across the country are being decimated - Princes Street's demise shouldn't be blamed on the council. If we stopped buying online, High Streets might  make a comeback  !

14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

For once I don’t think you can really blame any particular council the high street is dead everywhere. It’s a concern where everyone gets any meaningful employment though. 

I agree with what you say about the current situation of retail, but Edinburgh Council has screwed businesses for huge sums of money for years, whilst making it easier for the public to shop in out of town retail parks.

I’ve been told that shop owners in the city centre are being expected to pay full rates whilst their shops are closed during Covid. If that’s true, it can’t be fair. 

It has been an easy source of money to the council for years, with a completely unrealistic expectation of how retail businesses are supposed to find the cash. Ultimately, the council has been taxing shoppers and leisure customers by forcing the owners to increase prices to pay the council. 
What have they done with that money apart from narrow or close off access to roads for cars, or spent millions on vanity projects?

However, I don’t live in Edinburgh. If the city residents are happy with how their city is being managed, it’s not my place to disagree.

That’s pretty sad news.

It’s been a shadow of its former self for a good few years now, but still loved a wee walk around Jenner’s from time to time.

The toy department and the kitchenware department were my favourites!

Always thought the Foodhall was a bit pretentious and somewhat over-priced.

Another nail in the coffin for what was once a world famous shopping street.  :sad: 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Yet another victory for Amazon as we head even closer to the monopoly utopia our governments are clearly desperate for.

Hmmm....i personally like shopping via the internet and I'm sure lots of others do too. Easier to find what you want. Next day delivery with most things. More chance of a bargain. I'm not one for browsing and wandering about and queuing up. I don't care how rich Bezos is. I just want the convenience of items coming to me. Remember when cashline cards first came out? That's society. It moves on. I don't remember the last time I was in a bank for anything. As for the monopoly utopia part....sounds a bit QAnon to me but I'll bow to any superior knowledge you may have on the matter.

They were done when it was sold to Frasers but as others have said, Covid is banging the final nails in the retail coffin. Presume Povlsen will turn it into a hotel when this is all over.

Feel bad for the staff losing their jobs though. I briefly worked in the repository when I was a student many moons ago. 

In conversation here always when the subject came up talked about a return visit to Edinburgh. The problem now is first I am too old to travel alone, the second is my Edinburgh really doesn't exist anymore. Princes Street used to be a denizen of classy old shops, they seem to be going or gone, concrete high rises all over, I can drive down to Vancouver and see that, even Tynecastle I visited when back there in 2007, not my Hearts ground, all seats, and covered stands. My best visits to Edinburgh are sitting right here on the computer looking at this Forums Edinburgh History, there is my Edinburgh history, Binns, Woolies, Thorntons, Patrick Thomsons, Caley Station Waverley Market, trams all gone. Life is funny it actually gives you wee messages that your time is running out. People,places, all gone.

I was in there last Christmas, sad to see if go but it had definitely gone downhill compared to yesteryear. Used to love the toy dept as a kid. The wee guy Povlsen that is shutting it down can go do one. 

Sad. Jenner's used to be a brilliant shop. I enjoy a good day out to the shops much more than online shopping. I'm in the minority though so appreciate the high street is dead. I'd love to live somewhere that would replace the shops with something that was worth visiting. Al fresco dining, or even nice eateries indoors, bars etc on Princes Street would be amazing. It'll probably be hotels and tat forever more though. 

George Street moved or replicated onto Princes Street would be an improvement. Shops worth visiting and some nice restaurants and bars. Shame the 'main' street is so run down and decimated. It should be a total wow for visitors give what they see when looking in the other direction.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

It’ll be a hotel. 

I can see it being split up. The Rose Street side a Wotherspoons or something similar, another one to avoid!

Paddy Crossan

It's sad to think how successful Jenners was; the pub across the road, Rose Street side was built for the staff. How times have changed! Just remembered it's the Abbotsford

Online shopping isn't to blame for killing Princes street, the damage was done much earlier when out of town retail parks became the thing, the internet was just the final nail.

I don't live in Edinburgh, but because the Borders used to be utter crap shopping wise we used to do nealy all our shopping in Edinburgh, this was in the 80's.

We used to come through, park at St. John's hill or closer if we could get a space and walk down to St. James' centre then have a walk along Princes street, this went on for years on a damn near weekly basis, then Cameron Toll opened up and we'd sometimes go there instead of St. James' centre, then when Kinnaird park & then Straiton came along there was no need whatsoever to go into the centre of town, simply because we could get the same shops out of town and this was pre-internet days in the late 80's early 90's. 

As a result visits to Princes street & the centre of Edinburgh became fewer and fewer, there simply wasn't the need anymore. 

Then when Galashiels got a Tesco Extra & a big Asda and it's own retail parks opened up then there wasn't the need to travel through to even Kinnaird park or Straiton on a regular basis anymore, nowadays it's once in a blue moon when we are anywhere near Edinburgh for shopping.

Now I'd bet there are tens of thousands of other families living outwith of Edinburgh who did similar to what we did, I'd even bet locals stopped shopping in Princes street and started shopping at the new retail parks.

The seeds of the demise of the high street were sown long before the internet, the internet was just the final straw.

Shanks said no

Its sad to lose an institution like Jenners but unless you were a regular shopper there what did we expect?

Princes Street will evolve, less retail, more hotel's and definitely more bars and eateries. It will cater more for tourists rather than the local population. It has been allowed to suffer due to an inept Council. 

Difficult to predict what becomes of the city centre now.  Of course the disney-fication will continue as a source of revenue (might as well ride that Potter choo-choo into the ground) of that I'm sure.  I honestly can't remember the last time I entered a store on Princes Street, probably McDonald's at 11pm and ordered three cheeseburgers to fuel me up for the walk home. :lol: But seriously, think it was the M&S foodhall Xmas 2019 looking for marzipan, ohh and that year I also took the kids to see the tree in Jenners as I thought it would be the last ever! 😩

It can't all be turned into restaurants and bars, I don't think. Alas, unfortunately I believe we'll be stuck with tartan tat and soap shops!

Edited by ArcticJambo

14 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Difficult to predict what becomes of the city centre now.  Of course the disney-fication will continue as a source of revenue (might as well ride that Potter choo-choo into the ground) of that I'm sure.  I honestly can't remember the last time I entered a store on Princes Street, probably McDonald's at 11pm and ordered three cheeseburgers to fuel me up for the walk home. :lol: But seriously, think it was the M&S foodhall Xmas 2019 looking for marzipan, ohh and that year I also took the kids to see the tree in Jenners as I thought it would be the last ever! 😩

It can't all be turned into restaurants and bars, I don't think. Alas, unfortunately I believe we'll be stuck with tartan tat and soap shops!

The Disney Store shut down tae

:look:

1 minute ago, Cade said:

The Disney Store shut down tae

:look:

:fonzie:Couldn't compete with our council's version!  :gfy:

Princes Street should have been pedestrianised, at least on one side, years ago.  The Eastbound lanes could have been covered over, giving more room to put planters and other street furniture on the side closest to the shops. More restaurants should have been allowed to operate from Princes Street, with outdoor seating and things that would actually attract people to what should be the heart of Edinburgh. 

Every other city in mainland Europe has something of value in it's City Centre, a central point to head towards, and none of them have anything as remotely beautiful as Edinburgh Castle to focus their efforts around. 

Instead, we have a busy, noisy, chaotic road, and shops either full of utter shite or lying empty.  It's a disgrace, and no wonder that shops such as Jenners are being forced to close.  There is absolutely nothing that draws me to Princes Street, other than the fact that Waverley Station spits you out there (if you don't get off at Haymarket, that is). 

SectionDJambo
12 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Its sad to lose an institution like Jenners but unless you were a regular shopper there what did we expect?

Princes Street will evolve, less retail, more hotel's and definitely more bars and eateries. It will cater more for tourists rather than the local population. It has been allowed to suffer due to an inept Council. 

Your first line hits the nail on the head. No matter how nostalgic we get about a shop like Jenners, unless we used it, we are partly the reason that it's closing. People's shopping habits change, but we can't expect a shop which isn't trading profitably to survive. Maybe it's management should have seen how shopping habits were changing and adapted. Maybe it was doomed anyway.

Ultimately we all have the choice of whether to use a shop or not. It's not a devine right of the shop to expect customers to roll up.

I had an ice cream and sweets shop at one time in my working life. A long running establishment in a village that children loved to be in, and their parents had also loved to be in. But the shopping habits of the locals changed and, with running costs going sharply upwards in terms of rates, insurance etc., I had to be the custodian of the business to call it a day before I was completely ruined financially.

I never forget, that on my last day of trading, I had my busiest day for a long time. People obviously wanted one last go at coming in and buying from my shop. There was no other reason for the sharp increase in footfall.

I also remember a woman saying to me, on that day, that she would miss the shop being there as she walked past it every day. That's when I knew it was the right decision to get out.

Toxteth O'Grady

I could never find my way round Jenners. I've never really been much of a shopper though.

I've just realised that I've not been east of Haymarket since March

Painted the flagpole on the roof once when I was an apprentice also worked with a signwriter and painted and applied Gold Leaf to the large letters on the side if the building.

I used to shop in Jenners a fair bit and always went in at Christmas for the tree.  I loved the rabbit-warrenness of it.  You’d find a stair or lift you’d never seen before.

Princes Street?  Hmmm...  I think the west end will become more hospitality-driven (the Johnnie Walker experience looks good) and the east end - maybe from around Hanover Street will stay retail (Jenners closing not withstanding) anchored by the new St James centre.

But the out-of-town sheds have a lot to answer for.  Even wee places like Ft William have that kind of thing now.

Owner of the building has said that the top half will be a hotel and the bottom half still some kind of department store.

Mind you, he said that well before the pandemic hit and the final nail was driven into the coffin of retail stores.

Nothing stands still and Jenners had a good innings. Will miss the Xmas tree though. We visited after lunch and before going to the ‘German market’ in late December 2019 thinking it would be our last, and looks like we were right. 

A Boy Named Crow

It's all part of the decline of the high street and the now apparently necessary reinvention of city centres. 

If folk won't come in to shop, and post covid, fewer people will come in for office work, city centres are going to have to become places that revolve around leisure. 

Edinburgh is better placed than most to pull this off,  but it's a changing world and sadly, icons like the big high street retailers probably aren't part of it.

Sad times. Remember getting taken to see Santa there as a bairn and the endless rows toys in the toy areas. Haven’t really been in as an adult, but thoughts to those who are out of a job!

The Council need to take a serious look at what they're going to do with Princes Street, otherwise it's in grave danger of turning into a ghetto. St James and George Street will take all the premium retail, and out-of-town/Amazon the rest.

Hoping the JWX at the West End is a sign of things to come and that more bars and restaurants are allowed to open, ideally using some pavement space too.

John Gentleman
17 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Screenshot_20210125-182752_Samsung Internet.jpg

Off-topic John, but when was the last steam loco used on the Waverley/Queen St route? ..."stopping at Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High...."

20 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Our own fault I suppose - liked going there but how many times - probably less than once a year but it is an Edinburgh institution and will be missed . Many older ladies will miss meeting up there for tea and scones.Hopefully something tasteful will replace it if its not taken over.

Im sure they had a big train set on display at christmas time a few years back.

Shame its closing.

23 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Off-topic John, but when was the last steam loco used on the Waverley/Queen St route? ..."stopping at Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High...."

Good question. 1967 i believe.

Edited by John Findlay