Smith into centre midfield

NB GIN

Until we sort out our issues In midfield by bringing in new players I would move smith into the middle of the park. 
He has played before and was excellent 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Until we sort out our issues In midfield by bringing in new players I would move smith into the middle of the park. 

No.

We wouldn’t have anyone to play at RB if we did this. 

Also think our issue is we need a midfielder who can drive us forward and from what I remember of smith playing there that’s not going to be him

We had the same deficiencies last season as we do this, at CB and CM.

Moving M. Smith about is just robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

We now have no RB cover with Logan on loan and Brandon injured. 

It's out of the question. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Yes, to solve our defensive issues, let’s move our most reliable defender into midfield

If anything we could’ve tried him at Center half but without Brandon, that option is now off the table 

SectionDJambo

Whatever happens with our midfield, it has to have energy, awareness and a bit of urgency applied to it as quickly as is possible.

Lethargic doesn’t begin to describe our current midfield.

Keep him where he is meant to be. He isn’t a CB or CM , being built up here and other threads as some sort of super hero who will save the day . 

29 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Mcgill deserves a chance 

Agree, from the limited time I've seen him in early season games, looked decent and took no s""t. Cant be worse than the Ghost Of Halliday. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’d change to a back 3 with either smith further up the park wide right or as the “spare” in the 3 bringing the ball out.

Agree that Smith’s energy in midfield would shake thinks up. On for sharing is class but he’s still a stroller (not a bad thing) but he isn’t an intense player.

I thought Halliday would at least be an “intense” player with bite, nippy etc. But he just isn’t that...

I also think 2 up top would change things around - we’ve played pretty well with that formation when used.

Robbie won’t do anything dramatic with the formation though.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

18Jambo_dave74

If he stays with Hearts for the next few years then could see him moving centrally, although would imagine it would be as a centre back. Certainly has the awareness and reading of the game to play there.

I watched him play as a holding midfielder against Austria and he was very good and has done well playing there for us before. 

Just now, Ari Gold said:

Don't think moving our best defender into midfield would help our defensive issues. 

Centre back for Smith. Certainly for Tuesday. Loan deal for a right back. 

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Who at RB?

Shame Brandon injured again. But Halliday. He can play LB, he pish in midfield.. give him a shot

Watching the goals Kennedy had smith all

Iver the place yesterday. For me i would either sign O’Donnell who is out of contract in January or give Logan a go. Smith would improve centre mid or centre back

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Shame Brandon injured again. But Halliday. He can play LB, he pish in midfield.. give him a shot

So move a right back into midfield then move a left footed midfield player to right back? Righto

kingantti1874
Just now, Ari Gold said:

So move a right back into midfield then move a left footed midfield player to right back? Righto

I said move Smith into centre back. He’s our best centre back bar none.

Andy Halliday has played full back many times, he’s very competent there - it’s arguably his best position.. it would hardly be the first time a left footed player has played on the wrong side would it. 😂

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Andy Halliday has played full back many times, he’s very competent there - it’s arguably his best position.. it would hardly be the first time a left footed player has played on the wrong side would it. 😂

He might well be our best centre back, probably is tbh but moving him out of his position to then throw someone in to a brand new position is just daft. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Glad Halliday is competent somewhere because he is ****** hopeless in midfield. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

He might well be our best centre back, probably is tbh but moving him out of his position to then throw someone in to a brand new position is just daft. 

What’s daft is persisting with the selection which has seen us concede a quite incredible amount of goals in the champ.  

ive already said on another thread we should sign a new RB and move Smith in there permanently and sign another one 

Weakened Offender
42 minutes ago, fila said:

Keep him where he is meant to be. He isn’t a CB or CM , being built up here and other threads as some sort of super hero who will save the day . 

Correct. He was as much to blame as anyone yesterday. His passing was abysmal. 

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

What’s daft is persisting with the selection which has seen us concede a quite incredible amount of goals in the champ.  

ive already said on another thread we should sign a new RB and move Smith in there permanently and sign another one 

Or we just sign a new centre half. Don't need to over complicate things. 

24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Thought we just signed a LB?

kingantti1874
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Thought we just signed a LB?

my suggestion was to try him at RB. given he can play left back it’s worth a try. 

we have to do something.  We cannot persist with Halkett and Berra

as Ari said 2 new CB would be better 

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

I don’t reckon it’s a good idea to move our best defender into midfield when our centre halves are tragic.  We don’t have another RB, so we’re even more dependent on Smith playing there.  Sooner Haring is back to sit in front of and protect the defence the better. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

my suggestion was to try him at RB. given he can play left back it’s worth a try. 

we have to do something.  We cannot persist with Halkett and Berra

as Ari said 2 new CB would be better 

I agree he is pish but my preference would be 2 new CB’s so I agree and I hope we have something up our sleeve for Midfield too. When was the last time we had a decent midfield general? 

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I agree he is pish but my preference would be 2 new CB’s so I agree and I hope we have something up our sleeve for Midfield too. When was the last time we had a decent midfield general? 

Haring for a brief period though a different type .. before that blackie imo

Pasquale for King

He would be better than what we have in there, you can say the same about in a back three or at CH. Considering how well Kai Kennedy played on both wings though playing anyone but our best FBs might not be a great idea. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
Spelling

A good engine, bit of pace and half decent on the ball is all you need to play full back to a semi-decent standard. Sean Clare and Ryan McGowan at us or Antonio Valencia or Ivanovic at the other end of the spectrum. You will learn the defensive side of the game as you go. 

I’d give Moore a shot at RB and try Smith in a more influential position. 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Big problem defensively is that we have no defenders in midfield

Big fan of Irving but all he had covering  yesterday was halliday and 2 wingers

2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

I remember Smith playing Centre Back but I can’t remember him playing in midfield. 🤔

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I remember Smith playing Centre Back but I can’t remember him playing in midfield. 🤔

I could be wrong but I think he played centre midfield in Andy Irving's first start, possibly against Partick. He was decent but RB is definitely his best position. 

Bazzas right boot

We're OK in midfield, maybe short on 1 now that Lee has gone but Smith isn't the answer there. 

He's good at ch, but we have no rb cover so that is off the table atm. 

Contreversial opinion but why dont we just play Damour in there( if he does not leave in the window) Halliday is not the answer and sadly Haring looks to be done. Smith should be staying at RB.

Guest ToqueJambo

If we had RB cover I wouldn't be against trying Smith somewhere else, in place of Halliday or one of the CBs. We've moved defenders into midfield before with the likes of Mike Galloway, Haring, Barr, Karipedis and others with good success, but usually to do a very specific job in combination with other players. Not sure Smith has the something different that would justify it, he's just a solid, reliable footballer.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Think it’s more likely that Smith will move into centre half alongside Halkett and we bring a new RB in.  

This for me is a safer bet than Popescu or Haring. 

Edited by gashauskis9

Halliday can play right-back apparently, can he also play LB? Alternatively Kingsley to RB. My first choice would be Smith to CH though, alongside Halkett. Popescu is mistake prone and gives the ball away too easily, I just wonder why it is that we now seem to constantly have defensive problems when for years it was our greatest strength.

kingantti1874
19 hours ago, Rods said:

Contreversial opinion but why dont we just play Damour in there( if he does not leave in the window) Halliday is not the answer and sadly Haring looks to be done. Smith should be staying at RB.

is he fit?

does he want to play?

are we not paying him Becuase of wages / bonus’s 

lots of unanswered question on damour.. given he is one of the highest paid players at the club, and I think it’s clear we would prefer he wasn’t here I don’t think it will happen

Jambof3tornado
On 24/01/2021 at 20:51, fila said:

Think its because he is a bit like Callum Paterson in that if you play him anywhere he gives his all!

Agreed though, he needs kept at RB.

On 24/01/2021 at 20:14, NB GIN said:

No he wasn’t excellent and moving a player who IS excellent at right back would be mad.