Official Raith v Hearts ( Tuesday ) Thread

south morocco

I have never seen a goalie so unemployed as Craig was last night , not a shot on target , a couple of pass backs .

but playing a high line was much better. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quockerwodgerjambo

• neilnunb

• Hearts007

• sadj

26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Spot on mate.  Your last point is important and one I noticed last night (meant to comment but forgot).

When we're at our ponderous worst, as we hav ebeen a lot in the last couple of years, we pass the ball across the park from side to side, generally in our own half, then someone presses, then we end up launching it.  It goes like this:

RB - RCB - LCB - LB... back to LCB - RCB - RB.  Occasionally a midfielder drops and joins in, but in the same line.

Last night it was noticable that we were missing out a link in that chain.  It's was more of a:

RB - LCB - LB.  Then the Lb has his winger more open because the oppo haven't had the time just to shuffle over.

Missing literally just one link in that chain to get the ball from one side to another is so effective.

Then if you can manage to move that a tough further up the park and have Irving do the spreading, even better.

It's essentially about doing things with a bit more urgency and purpose.

100% mate. It’s the in thing now though to play around the back but it’s got to be done with a purpose. Smith does well out of most as when he receives he receives it on the back foot and looks to play boycie’s feet and that’s where he needs runners off him. His goal last night was smith to boyce who carried on the run to create that space for boyce to turn and play the 1-2 with smith. 
we don’t play enough penetrative passes that break lines enough or quick enough. We think we can just pass and try n draw teams out but no team is gonna do that against us as look what happened to Dundee 1st game when they tried it. We just picked them off 

6 minutes ago, Kylejordan said:

100% mate. It’s the in thing now though to play around the back but it’s got to be done with a purpose. Smith does well out of most as when he receives he receives it on the back foot and looks to play boycie’s feet and that’s where he needs runners off him. His goal last night was smith to boyce who carried on the run to create that space for boyce to turn and play the 1-2 with smith. 
we don’t play enough penetrative passes that break lines enough or quick enough. We think we can just pass and try n draw teams out but no team is gonna do that against us as look what happened to Dundee 1st game when they tried it. We just picked them off 

Exactly.  He also passed then went beyond the ball.  Foreign concept the last 2 years!!!!!  We need a CM who will do similar imo.  Let Irving do what he does, dictate, thread, probe, control and have someone else with endless energy.  A good version of Callaghan, if that ref makes sense (Ross not Ralph!).

There's also a bit of trust involved.  If I really zip this pass in, will he deal with it?  If I run beyond, will he use, me, at least for a decoy?  If I lose this ball, will my teammates bail me out or ball me out?

I get the impression the coaching certainly since Levein and his band took over, Daly etc, have very much been about not making mistakes, which breeds safety and mistrust.  Hopefully we're seeing - baby - steps to us moving away from that mentality.

Let's face it, the dream is to take on the OF.  No one is ever, ever, ever going to do that by playing safe.  Go nuts deep, gie it the fu shree thirds, and you never know.  At least it might be exciting.

Something as simple as missing out one of the CHs moving the ball from FB to FB honestly feels like a big step to me!  It's the first I've noticed it!

18 hours ago, sadj said:

Rick Witters new persona disappeared , few others too

Didn’t know he was back.

Oh goody.

Watching the highlights I think that Red Card was the weirdest thing, I didn't see what happened when I watched it live but the ref started running up the field with the play and then after some thought turned around, halted play and showed the Red, the correct call but why not issue it immediately, it's not like he was consulting with the lino, it happened right in front of him! Sorry if this has already been discussed I haven't read every page!

1 hour ago, gator said:

Watching the highlights I think that Red Card was the weirdest thing, I didn't see what happened when I watched it live but the ref started running up the field with the play and then after some thought turned around, halted play and showed the Red, the correct call but why not issue it immediately, it's not like he was consulting with the lino, it happened right in front of him! Sorry if this has already been discussed I haven't read every page!

It was very odd. 

1 hour ago, gator said:

not clear the ref saw it. looks like the main stand lino flagged for it and told the ref. check out the highlights thread

Colonel Kurtz

Thought Robby tweeked the tactics well

Michael Smith moving into midfield when we attack much like Cancello does at man city,we also could play a high line because we didnt have to accomodate Berra.

Like on Saturday however our finishing was dire,Walker and Boyce

Glamorgan Jambo

In the off chance Daniel Stendel was watching he’d have been delighted at the high press in the final 10/15 minutes. Yes they were down to 10 men and would still be feeling the effects of not training for a fortnight but the number of times we took the ball from them deep in their own half

was most pleasing.

3 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

not clear the ref saw it. looks like the main stand lino flagged for it and told the ref. check out the highlights thread

He put his flag up as they broke with the ball and the ref did a step over to keep the ball from hitting him then turned up field, the lino was a good distance from the foul which occurred right in front of the ref, do they comunicate on headsets because there was no close discussion between the two? Even if it was the lino that saw it, he was way late in raising his flag, I am still puzzled by this! 

1 hour ago, gator said:

He put his flag up as they broke with the ball and the ref did a step over to keep the ball from hitting him then turned up field, the lino was a good distance from the foul which occurred right in front of the ref, do they comunicate on headsets because there was no close discussion between the two? Even if it was the lino that saw it, he was way late in raising his flag, I am still puzzled by this! 

It has been explained to you what happened

The officials are in touch with each other and there is nothing difficult or wrong about the circumstances of the sending off....you have to remember that you only see the TV pictures and are not party to the discussion...simply put the assistant may have asked if the ref saw the incident, been told no and flagged telling the referee what he had seen

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

It has been explained to you what happened

The officials are in touch with each other and there is nothing difficult or wrong about the circumstances of the sending off....you have to remember that you only see the TV pictures and are not party to the discussion...simply put the assistant may have asked if the ref saw the incident, been told no and flagged telling the referee what he had seen

Also worth noting that the Hearts coaches were right beside the assistant clearly shouting for action. (Just saying)

I'm with @gator the assistants view was 40 yards and the refs was less than 10. I'm not sure if it was a stamp or a kick. But I certainly think RN bawling in the assistant lughole swayed it.

Yellow was enough imo.

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Also worth noting that the Hearts coaches were right beside the assistant clearly shouting for action. (Just saying)

I'm with @gator the assistants view was 40 yards and the refs was less than 10. I'm not sure if it was a stamp or a kick. But I certainly think RN bawling in the assistant lughole swayed it.

Yellow was enough imo.

yup, I'm sure our bench may well have played a part as they were right next to the lino

On 24/01/2021 at 03:41, tian447 said:

The annoying thing is, we'll probably scud them 4-0, and everyone will be left wondering where the **** today's result came from even more than they currently are. 

ITK?

57 minutes ago, WageThief said:

ITK?

I wish I actually was!  Just felt like that was one of the most obvious things that was going to happen. :lol:

About as obvious as beating Dunfermline 3-1 on Saturday :whistling: