Official Raith v Hearts ( Tuesday ) Thread

south morocco

1 minute ago, No Idle Talk said:

3-5-2 would be one of the last formations I would want to see us experimenting with. At present, our two full-backs are two of our best players. Our wingers(Ginnelly and Mackay-Steven) are also a strength. If we play 3-5-2 we lose the ability to use both of those strengths at the same time. 

On top of that, if you play 3-5-2 you end up with your two 'outer' centre backs getting dragged into wide areas a lot. So you need centre-backs with good pace and mobility in order to play that system. The thought of Christophe Berra and/or Craig Halkett getting pulled out into wide areas on a regular basis scares the crap out of me. 

Kingsley Halkett and smith would need to be the three. I agree regarding Ginnelly though. The two in central midfield just isn’t working and neither is one up top. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quockerwodgerjambo

• neilnunb

• Hearts007

• sadj

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Kingsley Halkett and smith would need to be the three. I agree regarding Ginnelly though. The two in central midfield just isn’t working and neither is one up top. 

Aye. I am not loving the one up front either. If we could play with the two wingers and two up front, that would be great. We would need better central midfielders to hold the fort if we played that way though.

1 minute ago, No Idle Talk said:

Aye. I am not loving the one up front either. If we could play with the two wingers and two up front, that would be great. We would need better central midfielders to hold the fort if we played that way though.

True enough. Not sure what the answer is but something needs to change both defensively and some sort of urgency all over the park. 

Ginnelly        Boyce        GMS

Irving        Haring        Walker

Kingsley        Popescu       Halkett        Smith

Gordon

22 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Any chance we could start the game with the strongest team & on the front foot! 

We need a change of mindset from Robbie for that!

5 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

well if we can play shite and only just lose against them yesterday,we only have to play half decent to win

Half decent would win all our remaining games in a canter. Shows you how far off being half decent we sometimes are

Glamorgan Jambo

We need to look back to the away games we’ve won IMO (Alloa, Morton). Although it wasn’t pretty our attackers spent the first 20 mins of these games constantly harrying the opposing defenders. To the point that their defenders gave up trying to play the ball forward and started just lumping it forward. I’d like to see Henderson start and someone else with pace and a decent work ethic. 

In both these games we had three quarters of possession after about 25 mins. Need to do this again.

Gordon Ramsay
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Another Borefest? 

The games aren't boring.

Yesterdays games wasn't boring. 

We are scoring lots and conceding lots, the exact opposite of a Borefest. 

Hearts struggling to beat pishy teams is boring to me. 

15 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

We need to look back to the away games we’ve won IMO (Alloa, Morton). Although it wasn’t pretty our attackers spent the first 20 mins of these games constantly harrying the opposing defenders. To the point that their defenders gave up trying to play the ball forward and started just lumping it forward. I’d like to see Henderson start and someone else with pace and a decent work ethic. 

In both these games we had three quarters of possession after about 25 mins. Need to do this again.

Great point. It’s a cliche but you have to ‘earn the right to play’ against these teams, force them to do what they didn’t want to do. We should be pressing high and hard for the first 20 minutes and knocking the will out of these teams. If you run out of steam at some stage we’ve got the best bench in the league by a distance.  Henderson Ginelly and Wighton all starters for me on Tuesday.

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, rmreido said:

We score 1st, we win,

concede 1st, we don't.... 

Exactly this

The players should be buzzing to get going, if we are not all over them in the first 20mins then guaranteed we’ll plod through the game until we concede.

An early goal is crucial.

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Hearts struggling to beat pishy teams is boring to me. 

Games are too ****ing exciting for me!

Gimme a 2-0 routine win any day of the week, or if we decide to concede 3, just stay 3-0 doon, dinnae bother making it interesting!:62:

I dont know if Neilson can change his way of putting a team out, it seems he does the same thing over and over (like levein used to ) even when its proved not to work ( see Frear).

it will probably take Ann as long to fire him even if he carries on doing this. Please no players (Roberts, Frear, Naismith, Walker and Haliday) that don't try.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Gordon

Suit me fine👍

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Goss said:

Exactly this

The players should be buzzing to get going, if we are not all over them in the first 20mins then guaranteed we’ll plod through the game until we concede.

An early goal is crucial.

That's the big question though. 

Why are we not coming out buzzing and all guns blazing at the start of games. 

There is something wrong somewhere along the line. 

Gordon

Halkett Haring Popescu

Smith Irving Walker Kingsley

Ginnelly Boyce GMS

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley

Haring

Walker                      Irving 

Ginnelly Boyce  GMS

Would like to see us playing the above team with haring being able to dropping in to the defence to cover the FB pushing in attack.

For as lazy as walker can be he still has the ability to create something and will get beyond the striker as Irving sits. That's if he is played forward unlike halliday - who as its touched on is either a dm or a lb and just can't perform this role as well.

I'd bench naismith and keep him as an impact sub from now. More pace outwide from the get go with our two best wingers and we're more than shored up in the middle with haring being in there.

But we're all football managers... 

The Mighty Thor

We will struggle to deal with the pace and mobility of their midfield and we can't defend so we won't keep a clean sheet.

Two games in 4 days for Boyce and Naismith will be too much for them and on top of that Neilson will bring Walker back in along with Frear and Roberts so I'm going Hearts nil. 

Post match will be;

the pitch

the ref 

the weather 

brexit

tempo/spark/break of the ball

Have I missed anything?

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We will struggle to deal with the pace and mobility of their midfield and we can't defend so we won't keep a clean sheet.

Two games in 4 days for Boyce and Naismith will be too much for them and on top of that Neilson will bring Walker back in along with Frear and Roberts so I'm going Hearts nil. 

Post match will be;

the pitch

the ref 

the weather 

brexit

Have I missed anything?

Our lacking of a player who can allow us to go route one, which we're close to sorting.

They will announce the signing of Adebayo the day after to deflect the fact that McGlynn will have schooled us twice in a matter of days.

16 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Our lacking of a player who can allow us to go route one, which we're close to sorting.

They will announce the signing of Adebayo the day after to deflect the fact that McGlynn will have schooled us twice in a matter of days.

We’ll see. 😎

5 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Gordon

smith Halkett Popecu Kingsley

GMS Haring Irving Ginelly

Naismith Boyce

... get this 4-2-3-1 pish tae feck. 

There's not really much difference between 4231 and 442. Naismith spends half the time up front anyway. It's hardly a massive change that would solve the defensive issues. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Post match will be;

the pitch

the ref 

the weather 

brexit

Have I missed anything?

Well if you count the legitimate chances, we win by a lot. The victory was stolen from us.

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Irving and Walker in centre mid 🤣

Wow.

8 and a 10 with haring holding. Dont see the issue. Arguably there best positions. Context is key. 

WheatfieldWarrior
8 hours ago, jambopilms said:

As someone already pointed out , the average age is shocking. Add to that a number of the older players legs have gone due to bad injuries. We need to give some of the youth a chance. Let's face it, they can't do any worse than our superstar cripples. At least they would get within 10 yards of their players.

I agree in principle, but the idea of bringing in experienced players was surely to ensure promotion at the first attempt.

I hope Robbie has a word in the ears of our wingers to attack Raiths defence.  Like Kennedy did against us on Saturday.  And that Smith and Kingsley have a better game than they did at the weekend... they were terrible. 

12 minutes ago, Bootzilla said:

Quite convinced  we’ll win comfortably- but would quite like to see the line up before putting a bet on. 

i was convinced we would do the bizz on Saturday, not wining would not surprise me now, and I'm beginning not to give a shit, it's like having Levein back.

bobby bombscare

Robbie went after the ref after the Dundee game. We won't get any decisions from the refs for the foreseeable future.

Think if GMS and Gino start with Boyce up front, then goals should come! I think maybe bench Naisy as well, as he wasn't really at the races and at his age probably won't be ready for Tuesday following a full 90mins this weekend. 

Halkett is a bombscare and Popescu isn't much better so we will likely concede just as many goals this time round. But their defence isn't much better as Boyce showed and there is no reason we can't outscore them for a 4-3, 5-3 win.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Post match will be;

the pitch

the ref 

the weather 

brexit

Have I missed anything?

COVID 

Салатные палочки

McGlynn saying this morning that Raith had ONE days training before Saturdays game. 

My prediction is we will start slow, some Raith guy who was plucked from obscurity will make our centre halves look like schoolboys, they will go 2-0 up and we will start a fight back when it's too late. 

2-1 Raith. 

The Apprentice
9 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

8 and a 10 with haring holding. Dont see the issue. Arguably there best positions. Context is key. 

Jamie Walker doesn’t have a best position these days. 

30 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Jamie Walker doesn’t have a best position these days. 

Walkers best performances since being back and arguably before he left were as a 10 behind the striker. He gets lost out wide nowadays and doesn't have the pace these days.

Especially with it being artificial on Tuesday I'd be surprised if he doesn't start there as I doubt naismith will play.

11 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Post match will be;

the pitch

the ref 

the weather 

brexit

Have I missed anything?

You forgot the old “look we are going to lose football matches, the important thing is getting going again” 😒

13 hours ago, kila said:

Gordon

Quite like that - also feel that Naismith would be better coming off the bench if/when needed too.

I get the sense of entitlement amongst our fans, and to an extent I feel, with the squad we have we (fans) should expect to win every game in this league. However, if we are honest with ourselves, experience should tell us that apart from the Burley of JJ teams, we can usually watch the first ten minutes of a game and confidently predict how a game is going to go. For me anyway, I’m usually not far wrong. Start slow and best we get is a draw. Start on the front foot and barring a brain fart concession of the first goal we will win. The problem we have right now is it’s almost a stone cold certainty that if we lose the first goal we lose. Just look at our results recently we only seem to win or lose games. Talk of buying an attacking midfielder should be shelved and all efforts made to get a leader of a centre back in the next week. We don’t concede we at least have a chance of a 0-0 draw, which against our immediate rivals for promotion would see us maintain our position as long as we beat the other 6 teams. Anybody watching Tozer playing in fa cup at theweeken would have seen a no nonsense shouty leader at the back who organised his defence and kept them focussed when they were under pressure. That’s the type of CH we desperately need.

The Apprentice
16 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Walkers best performances since being back and arguably before he left were as a 10 behind the striker. He gets lost out wide nowadays and doesn't have the pace these days.

Especially with it being artificial on Tuesday I'd be surprised if he doesn't start there as I doubt naismith will play.

I also think he looked pretty sharp in the early LC games in the 10 role, but since then bar two goals against Morton he’s reverted back to being an empty jersey, needlessly fouling and picking up silly bookings. I really liked him when he first came through and in our last Championship campaign. He was a player who could make things happen and produce a bit of magic. He’s so far away from that now it’s unreal.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

McGlynn saying this morning that Raith had ONE days training before Saturdays game. 

My prediction is we will start slow, some Raith guy who was plucked from obscurity will make our centre halves look like schoolboys, they will go 2-0 up and we will start a fight back when it's too late. 

2-1 Raith. 

Ach well, 

We really shouldn't be losing at home to Raith and certainly not losing 3 goals to them. As much as the defence has looked poor all season, don't think they are getting much protection from the midfield. All season we have had players waltz past us and put in half hearted tackles. We need a minimum on one centre half and one ball winning midfielder. I think Haring is done to be honest, don't think he has ever got back to full fitness which is a real shame. 

Stop the “tinkering” and get the best players for the positions they are meant to play in. GMS on the left not the right, we don’t want him cutting in on his left. Middle of the park is congested enough. Get to the byeline and get balls in. Same with Ginnelly, get him on the right. I’d stick with 4231 the now just cause I think it’s the best formation to get our good players on the park and on the ball. I’d bench Naismith tho as I don’t like him in the 10. 

Gordon 

Smith 

Halkett 

Popescu 😭

Kingsley 

Irving 

Halliday 😭

Ginnelly 

Walker 

GMS 

Boyce. 

On 23/01/2021 at 20:08, jr ewing said:

Needs changes for Tuesday but will he?

Not just the team that need changes it's the whole attitude. 

We need to come out with a high tempo right from the start and let teams like ******* Raith Rovers worry about us not the other way around. 

And the likes of Naismith and Halliday need to get their experienced fingers out of their arses.

Personally I would have Halliday nowhere near the first eleven until he shows the commitment and desire he seemed to show every week for his beloved gers. 

He plays for HMFC now and we pay his bloody wages. 

12 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

There's not really much difference between 4231 and 442. Naismith spends half the time up front anyway. It's hardly a massive change that would solve the defensive issues. 

I've continually posted that CB's are more of a priority than strikers this window. But as for the 4231... while Naismith spends a fair amount of time up front, he also spends a fair amount of time on the right, left and also coming deep (like Boyce), they don't play as out and out forwards. It's far easier to defend against one striker/forward than two and, for me, this is why we're easy to defend/play against. If we had two up front, it would give our midfield a bit more space. Perhaps they need to be more structured in their approach. However, I'm not a fan of these fancy diamonds - I think they're fair enough if you have the talent and levels of fitness required... but for the championship? Keep it simple, structured - we have better players than everyone else so we shouldn't have to 'change' our shape or mindset depending on the opponent in this league. Like most on here, I'm no manager, just my opinion.

14 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Exactly, good post. We only need to get 1 up early on, and everything else should fall into place.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Ach well, 

Still pissed off after Saturday to be honest. 

2 hours ago, scottg71 said:

Will there be a free stream somewhere for this one?

Raith installed a TV system in the summer so it's possible they'll be streaming to their many devoted followers on Tuesday. Check out the thread just around kick off.